How Can I Leave Accurate Coords For A New Cache?

doctor scotland

if i want to leave a new cache then i guess i go to the spot im leaving said cache and note down the figures my gps is showing me.

but ... if my gps is only giving me accuracy to 17 feet, then how do i take this into account and adjust the figures i post for the cache?

i dont want people to be looking way out due to my numbers!

any advice most welcome!

I set a cache today, it'll be #15 when I list it. The only cache I've ever had problems with is in the same park. On that one we did everything we could possibly do, and I had others help. Must be something in the area.

First: don't get too excited. Walk away and approach from a couple more directions. Set the unit down for 5 minutes. If the ftf/or fdnf has a problem, go out in clear weather and check again. Every didget of difference is maybe 5 - 6' (depending on location), so the difference between a 5 and an 8 is maybe 16'.

but ... if my gps is only giving me accuracy to 17 feet, then how do i take this into account and adjust the figures i post for the cache?

You really can't. The best thing you can do is make sure you have a good signal. Everybody deals with GPS's EPE. Its part of the game. Heck, if the coords were dead on every time, what would be the fun in that?

I did a forum thread on this very topic a few weeks ago. Read what other cachers have to say About Accuracy. I think we as cache hiders owe it to the cache seekers to give them the best coordinates to the cache as we can. Unless of course you are Mr. Snazz

I make sure to slow down to at least 25mph before tossing my caches out the window. I have my GPS ready to mark the waypoint, and press the button at the same time as I toss.
:(:(:(

:(

I find that as long as you've got good satellite reception, your hide coordinates should be fine without having to average because other users would likely receive the basically the same errors as you so they cancel out.

What I did to check the accuracy was to walk away then use my GPSr to "goto" the saved coordinates from different directions and I found that the GPSr can guide me back to within 5ft every time after a few tries using a Magellan and a Garmin GPSr. So far I only hid one multi-cache with two coordinates :ninja: but so far no complaints from seekers. I actually got one comment that the coords was spot on. In my case it was easy because there are no trees around.

No one's mentioned WAAS. I've read "On to hide, off to find"....true?

Matter of opinion. I keep mine on just 'cuz it's one less thing to worry about.

Keep in mind that 17 feet ain't bad. The unit will most likely never take you right to it anyway. Even if your coords are spot on, the finder's may not be so that's an acceptable EPE in my book.