New Tagline For Today's Cacher Mag?

RuffRidr

Page is passworded now.  :(

:(

:(

Somebody has to tell us slow people what was there...

It was just something silly. The headline was something like "Buy our mag or we'll kill you..." then there was a pic of some dude chomping a cigar, then a picture of a bunch of furs hanging from a tree and then "...and string up your cats." Then there was like a very rough draft of an editorial.

I'd post it here from my cached copy, but that would be "stealing intellectual property". :(

--RuffRidr

I saw the page before it was password protected. I'm pretty sure the 'Dead Cats' picture shown was the picture from The Cat Tree of William Creek (Australia).

I don't want to post a link to the site that has the Cat Tree pictures because they are pretty gruesome. But if you google "cat tree william creek" ....

If that is true, I am HIGHLY UNAMUSED. Todays Cacher wanna give their side?

I changed the month in the URL for Today's Cacher magazine to see if I could get a preview of the next month's magazine.  I was shocked to see their new tagline:

Today's Cacher

Good stuff!

--RuffRidr

Logon Page for Sept issue

Username:

Password:

Yeah, that is a really neat 'tagline'. Very timely.

Edited by Team cotati697

I have to admit that I am a little surprised that the owner of TC has not yet responded to questions about what was there. I saw it before the password protection was added and have to agree that it was in very poor taste. What's that all about?

Edited by Mr. Fantastic

Oh pu-leeze! :D

Folk's get a grip!

Online mags are notorious for providing stuff like this as April Fools jokes.

I seriously doubt it was for the real April issue.

Other than a "Real" April Fool's Joke.

The fact that TC hasn't replied is either one of two things:

1•They haven't caught wind of the post here yet

or

2•The joke is working just as planned, but about 2 weeks earlier. Letting it run on is just gravy!

Before blasting me about not being a animal or cat lover, I will beg to differ!

As a mattter of fact I just this afternoon plunked down $200 cold hard earned cash for the vet bill for my newest kitty to have her fixed, so she can't add to the already escalating feral cat population. Along with having all her shots and medical treatments to keep her healthy.

This is the same kitty that when we got her was so infested with fleas that she was litterally having the life sucked out of her and her health quickly deteriorated to near death. I force fed her with a dropper every 2 hours day and night for about a week to nurse her back to health.

So yes I love animals, Cats in particular!

I've seen the picture in question, so no I wasn't offended.

I took it as what I believe it was intended - A April Fools Joke!

If it is otherwise, I will stand offended with the rest of you.

But again, I seriously doubt it is anything but a April Fools joke.

D-man :D

Actually, not for me - and I really like the 'zine. Posting "Deliverance" style redneck art does not impress me in the slightest. I won't be buying into the magazine with $$$ until I hear the TC side of this story. Maybe it was a photo to go with a specific cache article, whatever. If someone there thinks that this is funny, though... I'll spend my money elsewhere.

They don't need this kind of advertisement.

I have to admit that I am a little surprised that the owner of TC has not yet responded to questions about what was there. I saw it before the password protection was added and have to agree that it was in very poor taste. What's that all about?

Let me get this straight...you want an explanation for possibly being offended by something you found by snooping around on our server?

I'm tickled that people are interested enough to want a sneek peak at our upcoming issues, but if you're gonna go looking under rocks--that's your business.

Let me get this straight...you want an explanation for possibly being offended by something you found by snooping around on our server?

I'm tickled that people are interested enough to want a sneek peak at our upcoming issues, but if you're gonna go looking under rocks--that's your business.

While I am no fan of Today's Cacher or some of the people involved with it I do have to agree with what was said here.

There is no indication that what was there was meant for public viewing. They don't owe anybody anything. Stop mucking around on their server. Maybe some people should appologize for poking around in places they didn't belong.

Can everybody who has voiced how "offended" they are be so sure that their work or home area could stand to be looked at at any point in time? That no one would ever find anything that they would rather people not see.

Of course the kicker is the people that still went to google something while having a pretty good idea of what they were going to be seeing and then still found it offensive. Duh! What did you expect pictures of flowers in a valley? Get over yourselves.

This has really gotten out of hand. When I posted this message I had no idea that people would get so upset about this. It was very obviously tongue in cheek. It was funny! As another member of this board is fond of saying, Lighten Up Francis!

There is no indication that what was there was meant for public viewing. They don't owe anybody anything. Stop mucking around on their server. Maybe some people should appologize for poking around in places they didn't belong.

Puhlease! I wasn't mucking around on their server. I mereley changed mar to apr out of curiosity (I know curiosity killed the cats). You know, a good rule of thumb to go by is never publish anything on to a public webserver that you don't want anyone to see. But if its an apology from me you want, then "I am very sincerely sorry that I looked at this webpage. Can you please forgive me?"

Now lets just let this drop already.

--RuffRidr

Edited by RuffRidr

Yes the tree is real.

Yes feral cats have adversly affected the native marsupials of Australia wiping out many species and allowing the natural balance it tip to the side of introduced vermin like rabbits and rats which has decimated the delicate flora enviroment. If you ever get a chance to see the rabbit proof fence there is a marked differance in the quality and variety of the plant species from one side to the other.

This tree isn't really any different to the fence line covered in rattle snake skins, that is more of a crime against nature as the rattle snakes are an important part of the ecology in that area not introduced vermin.

Puhlease! I wasn't mucking around on their server. I mereley changed mar to apr out of curiosity (I know curiosity killed the cats). You know, a good rule of thumb to go by is never publish anything on to a public webserver that you don't want anyone to see. But if its an apology from me you want, then "I am very sincerely sorry that I looked at this webpage. Can you please forgive me?"

Now lets just let this drop already.

--RuffRidr

First let me say that it's not a public server, it's a private server. Only the parts of the server are intended to be accessed by the public. By changing the url you were obviously trying to access an area that you knew wasn't meant to be public. If I leave the door to my house unlocked it dosen't give anyone the right to come in uninvited and start poking around. I accept your apology and since you are the one that started the thread you have the power to lock it.

Now for the official comment as to what was posted on the server. It was never intended to be viewed by the public. It was placed there as a joke by one of the staff members that should have known better. I found parts of the post amusing, however as an owner of 7 cats, I like everyone else didn't find the tree amusing.

This has been addressed within the company and I'm positive that it won't happen again in the future. I don't feel as though we owe anyone an apology. There are only two people that need to apologize, the person than snooped into a private area and the staff member that posted the pics. Both have apologized and those apologies have been accepted. As far as I'm concerned the matter is closed.

El Diablo

First of all, the unpublished Todays Cacher you saw may have been an internal joke, but even if it was going to be a true cover, we should not get upset untill we see any article that might accompany it. The editors may have been planning an environmental issue, and used that picture to make a point condemning the practice.

That being said, what is happening down under, is truely a shame. I am not refering to the "cat tree" I am refering to all the non-native animals being introduced to the country.

Another point made was that it was such a good thing to have your animal fixed to prevent the explosion of feral cats. If we had not erradicated the natural predators in the states (wolves, coyotes, bobcats, etc) nature would be taking care of the problem.

The person that "hacked" into the webpage (and you did hack into it since you used a link that you guessed would work) should not have published the link, and started this issue without first trying to get an explanation from the editors of TC. In my eyes you are the villian here not TC or the cat tree builder.

:D

ElDiablo does not have any need to apologize for an action of a sub, that was never intended to be public.

I am proud to say that I am a charter subscriber to TC and would not dream of changing that because of this incident. Again I feel the originator of this thread was the problem not TC or its staff

Thanks for the answer ED

BTW I was creating my first post while ED was responding to this incident

...The person that "hacked" into the webpage (and you did hack into it since you used a link that you guessed would work) should not have published the link, and started this issue without first trying to get an explanation from the editors of TC. In my eyes you are the villian here not TC or the cat tree builder.

Are you kidding?

If I am interested in purchasing a Dell computer and I type in Dell.com instead of googling it and clicking on a link, am I hacking their site?

Why’s everybody always pickin’ on me? :D

It was my unsavory, senseless attempt at humor that ignited this fiasco; it was an inside joke gleaned out of context and exposed publicly.

I am arguably the world’s greatest lover of felines. I love ‘em all, big, little, black, white, friendly and feral. I have actually seen the cat tree near Williams and it is a ghastly scene. I was offended.

The tree is a “down under” statement about the problems associated with feral animal (especially cats) in an area where they are not indigenous. Biologists in the area have determined that a single feral cat may kill and consume up to 30 (mostly marsupial) critters in each 24-hour period.

Marsupials are not widely found throughout the world; Australia, however, has hundreds of different marsupial species, all indigenous to the region. These marsupials have no natural defense to cats, designed by nature as cute, and efficient little killing machines. The Aussies love their marsupials.

Many Australians will not have a cat as a pet, fearing that they may somehow get lost into the world of feral. In my nine-month tour of the continent, cats were one of the few things I really missed from home. In that time I spent in Australia, I remember only two cats that were kept as pets.

Things are different in different cultures and I respect that.

Regarding my little private joke: the photograph was never intended for publication in Today’s Cacher; it was intended, as “shock therapy” for other members of our staff to invent (less shocking) ways to promote sales of our magazine.

You have my word. We will not hang your cats out to dry if you don’t buy our magazine. On the contrary, we will continue striving to bring you interesting and informative articles about geocaching and the people and their pets that play the game.

Thanks to all who have participated in this topic. It’s good to know someone is watching out for us.

BTW, you can learn about purchasing our soon-to-be published magazine here. :D:D

...The person that "hacked" into the webpage (and you did hack into it since you used a link that you guessed would work) should not have published the link, and started this issue without first trying to get an explanation from the editors of TC.  In my eyes you are the villian here not TC or the cat tree builder.

Are you kidding?

If I am interested in purchasing a Dell computer and I type in Dell.com instead of googling it and clicking on a link, am I hacking their site?

No I am not kidding...........As a IT staff member, I know that often web pages are "hidden" by slightly changing the URL. True the person that put this up should have used a better "hidden" URL , but untill a site makes a page public, it is "hacking" to change URLs to attempt to get into it. Many times things are tried out, and decided not to be in the sites best interest.

Hacking is hacking whether meant to be malicious or not. Dell.com is a published and well known site....Dell.secret.com is not (Dell.secret.com is ficticious but an example)

:D

Edited by Gary and Mary Adventurers
...untill a site makes a page public, it is "hacking" to change URLs to attempt to get into it.

Bull! AFAIK, it's not even been decided that linking directly to page instead of burrowing down from the home page is considered copyright infringement. Much direct URL entry. So, how is direct URL entry hacking? That's a joke.

If your directory scheme follows an obvious convention such as Today's Cacher then you can almost expect someone to type the URL directly to go to where they need to go.

That's not to mention eventually every open URL will be spidered by Google even if there isn't a link put on a webpage. Plenty of pages are found through server access logs available to the public. You simply can't keep a web page secret through obscurity very long and for an "IT staff member" to say otherwise...

It really is not much different if someone gets into a site through a back door, an unpublished URL, or by defeating a password scheme. ...

So one must understand the intent of the programmers before attempting to access a site?

I'm not used to being in agreement with CR. :D