Newb Wally

astleym1

Feeling bit of a wally here at the moment.

After being introduced to geocaching by a passing camper I decided to invest and give it a go.

Purchased an Etrex and struggled with the loading of data, I am still unsure if I did it right but entered all the coordinates Longitude & Latitudes for a couple of caches in Glossop area set off with the family and parked the car and followed the line for about a mile or so when I got this funny feeling that we maybe actually walking back to our home as I had entered that as a Point by accident, So for safety I then selected find nearest waypoint only to end up back at car. Not a good start!

Now you have all finished laughing can you please help as I am taking the family on holiday next week and was hoping to have sorted things out by then.

I have ordered a data cable for downloading points but that will not arrive until later this week, therefore I was looking for some assistance on the following:-

Should I be entering the N 53 28 000 W 001 00 000 reference or is there a simpler way, say entering the Waypoint Ref i.e. TP2474 which will immediately identify the waypoint?

I have set the Position Format to hddd.mm.mmm and the Map Datum to WGS 84, Units are in Yards, North Ref is MAG, Variance is 004 W and Angle is Degrees. - Is this correct?

When I select Waypoints I select enter and then amend the N 53 28 000 ref to match that given on the website, with the exception of the ELEV as that is not given.

On a slightly different note I also have a IPaq 1900 complete with TomTom Sat Nav, although the GPS I believe works through the Cradle in the car. Is it worth me investing in some software to load on the IPaq that will also assist me in this geocaching? And would I need to purchase another GPS (someone suggested BlueTooth) to enable me to use it?

Sorry for all the questions !

...I have set the Position Format to hddd.mm.mmm and the Map Datum to WGS 84, Units are in Yards, North Ref is MAG, Variance is 004 W and Angle is Degrees. - Is this correct?

When I select Waypoints I select enter and then amend the N 53 28 000 ref to match that given on the website, with the exception of the ELEV as that is not given....

That's correct. You mark your location and then edit that point to what you want it to be. I don't know a bit about what my GPS is set to for Magnetic vs. True north because I use it to point at caches. The DDD MM.MMM is right and so is WGS 84. You seem to have your ducks in a row.

I learned how to upload waypoints before I knew how to create them on my GPS. A lot of people start like that. The Manual isn't exactly clear on entering waypoints you want.

I think your only mistake was in not selecting "Goto" after you entered the cache coordinates. My suggestion is to set a waypoint at your starting point then find your cache waypoint and "Goto" it. This way if you get lost you can select your starting waypoint, hit "Goto" and the GPS will take you back to where you started.

Have fun, and good luck. StanB

I use the "nearest" feature constantly. Once you choose the one you want ( say, for example, you've just finished cache x, and back in the parking lot cache x is still nearest, but you choose cache z because it is the nearest that you haven't been to), then be sure to highlight and choose "goto." Will you occasionally find that you've entered a mistake...yeah, it can happen. That's why carrying the "paper" or a PDA is really needed.

Many thanks for that.

I have just received my Data Cable and now seek advice on the settings required for my eTrex to be able to download Caches.

And what should happen when I attempt to download them i.e. messages telling me what to do, is it automatic, etc?

Many thanks

As not-so-experienced cacher, and general-all-around-non-techie... I have the data transfer cable and am actually able to use it. I asked the same kinds of questions back in Jan I think and recieved some good help and a link to EasyGPS.com. Although you can go there easily yourself and do the downloda necessary to get the data to your GPS unit. Look up my posts and it will take you to that discussion. :blink: