Setting Goals For Yourself

AtoZ

Do you set goals for your geocaching experiance??? Like I want to have x number of finds by d date. Or x number of hides per y number of finds. I am fortunate to cache with a person that is in the top cachers in the nation number wise and have picked up some of the goal orintation of geocaching. But sometimes I just wonder. I know folks say it is not about the numbers bit if it isn't then why log you finds????

cheers

Do you set goals for your geocaching experiance??? Like I want to have x number of finds by d date. Or x number of hides per y number of finds. I am fortunate to cache with a person that is in the top cachers in the nation number wise and have picked up some of the goal orintation of geocaching. But sometimes I just wonder. I know folks say it is not about the numbers bit if it isn't then why log you finds????

cheers

I do set goals for myself. I try to do a certain amount in a year. Its nothing outrageous, but it is a goal I have to work towards.

When Dan's stats page was still around I had the goal of keeping in the top 20 cachers of my state.

I've got a list of caches on my to-do list. My goal is to do all of them this year.

I've got kind of a standing goal of clearing all the caches in a 30 mile radius of me.

Lastly, I've got a goal where I'm trying to have at least 1 find for every post on the forum. Not doing so well with that one right now. I need to stop posting and get finding.

--RuffRidr

I don't set any goals such as number of caches, or ranking or any of that. For one thing, for me to do that would take it out of the realm of having fun and put into the realm of something I 'had' to do. And for me, doing things I don't 'have' to do is part of the fun and relaxation. I cache when I feel like it, and don't when I don't feel like it. And I do different types of caches depending on how I feel, how I am dressed, if it is lunchtime, if it as day I my wife and I just want to go for a ride and get out of town, or if I am with my son and we want to hike or go off roading or whatever. I approach 'caching with a very serendipitous attitude, and have from the beginning.

As far as why I log my finds, well, that's easy. I like to write about my "adventures' and share it with the cache owner so he gets some feedback and can see that folks are enjoying what he did. Even for a drive by micro I can usually write a paragraph.

So to answer the question as to what motivates me? Fun, relaxation, exercise and no stress.

When Dan's page was up, I did try to stay in the top twenty or so, but I never had a hard goal to hit.

This last year, however, I've kind of reevaluated my priorities. I still don't have any hard goals, but my intent is to get out on the trail and increase my general health. This includes losing the weight that I've put on in the last eight months or so as well as build my core strength to try to reduce some pain.

The numbers, what a joke.

The best thing that geocaching.com could do would be to eliminate the number found count from the logs completely. If you write a good enough log I will look at your profile and see your numbers, maybe I will be impressed. If you write TNLNSL then I will pass on looking at your numbers. Even if I look at your numbers I will interpret things in my own fashion.

When you tell me you are caching with one of the top number cachers in the country I envision you two thusly - you are both slightly handicapped (no walks more than 50 feet) and you live in Nashville (naturally). You find about 70 caches a day and you have been caching at least thirty times. You have found the two thousand your friend has placed and he has found yours, the logs are wet but that doesn't matter because they were free and the distance from the photo counter to the parking lot hiding spot, while more than 50 feet, can be combined with a shopping trip.

When I see the TNLNSL and a 1000+ count I wonder if those players even realize that the caches are placed by other people and don't just magically spring up after the georain.

If Groundspeak is a language then the numbers are the swear words.

My own goal is to learn to speak Groundspeak more clearly through participation in this activity, one which connects me to other people and places I might not encounter otherwise.

Edited by wavector
...When you tell me you are caching with one of the top number cachers in the country I envision you two thusly - you are both slightly handicapped (no walks more than 50 feet) and you live in Nashville (naturally). ...

Umm, while I found your post to be amusing, AtoZ lives in Colorado. :lol:

My goals are simple:

1. Have as much fun as humanly possible every time I go out caching. :P

2. Get out caching as often as possible. At my last physical, my doctor advised me to get out 2-3 times a week, not just once. Really, I got a note too! :o

3. Find every cache on my to-do list when I head out the door. If I'm going to cache until the stars come out, let me wife know early in the afternoon, so it isn't so chilly when I get home. :lol:

4. For round number finds, i.e. 2000, 2500 etc, hunt for something significant, be it a 5/5, really hard multi, long hike, or just one that doesn't get visited too often. :o

5. Have as much fun as I possibly can. :P

PS I do care about the numbers; but it's not what gets me out there tomorrow. They are there for me to keep track of my finds and progress, not for you to evaluate me or my abilities.

PPS: Two numbers that also matter to me (and I don't care if they do to you) : #finds > #posts. :) Good thing they stopped counting the OT posts. :)

Edited by wimseyguy
I know folks say it is not about the numbers bit if it isn't then why log you finds????

cheers

Because entering logs is part of the game.

For me, it isn't about the numbers but it is nice to see the count. My motivation was, up until recently, sharing my adventures with my best hiking buddy pictured below. Beyond that, it's the camaraderie of a shared interest. It's the discovery of new places that I otherwise probably would have never gone to see. (Just to list a few.) IMAGE007.JPG

Edited by TotemLake
The numbers, what a joke.

The best thing that geocaching.com could do would be to eliminate the number found count from the logs completely. If you write a good enough log I will look at your profile and see your numbers, maybe I will be impressed. If you write TNLNSL then I will pass on looking at your numbers. Even if I look at your numbers I will interpret things in my own fashion.

When you tell me you are caching with one of the top number cachers in the country I envision you two thusly - you are both slightly handicapped (no walks more than 50 feet) and you live in Nashville (naturally). You find about 70 caches a day and you have been caching at least thirty times. You have found the two thousand your friend has placed and he has found yours, the logs are wet but that doesn't matter because they were free and the distance from the photo counter to the parking lot hiding spot, while more than 50 feet, can be combined with a shopping trip.

When I see the TNLNSL and a 1000+ count I wonder if those players even realize that the caches are placed by other people and don't just magically spring up after the georain.

My own goal is to learn to speak Groundspeak more clearly through participation in this activity, one which connects me to other people and places I might not encounter otherwise.

Hummm I am not sure if I am being blasted or what. But then I look at the source and o'well if you look at my profile you see I have done some of the harder caches around, abrupted absale, curt's cant touche this now. My goals are part of the game. If it involves number then o'well it is something to do. But come to Colorado and well do some hiking rappelling diving etc. little of everything. Look at last month Todays Cacher if you want to see a write up on me, I was one of the featured cache.

O' hobbies include fly fishing, climbing(rock, ice and mounteering) diving(cave diving), caving, skiing(backcountry and Alpine and instructing) and now geocaching. My father was an avid hunter but I never cared mush for hunting but learned to love the outdoors from him.

So am I a couch potato you decide.

cheers

Looks like you're still trying to reach that goal with that kind of belittling post. It was a legitimate question and didn't warrant the attack.

Yeah, I set a huge goal.

Don't let geocaching get in the way of my enjoyment of the sport.

Huh? :(

The sport gets me out to interesting places that the entire family enjoys. I endeavor to enjoy the places and the PROCESS, not the count. I take my time and don't mind if Sarah and I end up spending 45 minutes in a park and log only one cache when we could have logged 4 or more. Look at the joy on my daughter's face! Yes, the time spent here could have been 5 or 6 more logged caches. They will be there next week, and if I only knock one out every Saturday and we have this much fun doing it, then good for us.

I began getting caught up in the "numbers." I started eyeing that first "100" and setting goals to get there. No, that is not for me. So, close to the "prize," I pulled away for a couple of weeks, and refocused on the process of the sport and the ultimate goal is to enjoy it with the family, not logging finds. You know what? It made 100 that much nicer.

Nothing wrong with numbers or goals. My goals involver numbers but those numbers get me out enjoying the game. My persnal goals are to get at least 50 finds per year and to keep up a less than 4 to 1 finds to hides ratio until I have around 100 hides. Numbers yes but it is so that I can get out to enjoy new places and new faces.

I have three main goals in geocaching:

1) Have fun enjoying time with my wife and family

2) Get exercise and learn about new places

3) Do at least one cache per calendar month

There were other numerical goals at times. In 2003 I wanted to get at least 75 finds by year's end. (I did). Then I wanted at least 100 finds by my 2nd anniversary of caching. (I did).

Currently, I don't really have a numerical goal running. In the back of my mind I would like to hit 200 finds by my 3rd anniversary of caching. I'm at about 170 right now and the anniversary is in June. So it should be do-able. But if I don't, oh well. Life goes on.

1) Write cool, interesting, or funny log entries. Usually, this means having cool experiences.

2) Think of interesting places to put a cache. So far, this means only one cache placed by me (I am very creative, but not in that direction).

3) Allow a bit of magic and mystery into my life at least once a day.

I don't have a "numbers" goal, but I like to set up a list of caches I'm going to do on a particular day or a particular trip.

Looks like you're still trying to reach that goal with that kind of belittling post. It was a legitimate question and didn't warrant the attack.

have x number of finds by d date. Or x number of hides per y number of finds. I am fortunate to cache with a person that is in the top cachers in the nation number wise

The numbers

I am belittling the numbers.

What are your goals geocaching, numbers ?

Who do you think I was belittling ?

Do you think speaking Groundspeak has anything to do with numbers ?

I think numbers are vile curses.

I will continue to attack the numbers, which are meaningless, you can continue to imagine that I am belittling geocachers.

Edited by wavector
I am belittling the numbers.

What are your goals geocaching, numbers ?

Who do you think I was belittling ?

Do you think speaking Groundspeak has anything to do with numbers ?

I think numbers are vile curses.

I will continue to attack the numbers, which are meaningless, you can continue to imagine that I am belittling geocachers.

Fine - you play your way - we will play ours - numbers aren't everything to me but they do help represent my goals and provide a small amount of feedback about me and others. I don't curse your non-numbering ways............

But then I look at the source and o'well

This is belittling.

I didn't bother to look at the OP's profile.

I don't need to attack a person to decide the numbers are a joke.

Edited by wavector
When you tell me you are caching with one of the top number cachers in the country I envision you two thusly - you are both slightly handicapped (no walks more than 50 feet) and you live in Nashville (naturally). You find about 70 caches a day and you have been caching at least thirty times.

AtoZ you didn't tell me that you were moving to TN. :(

I don't know where this guy is coming from, but my goal is to keep finding caches and get your initiation done.

It was good to see you at the event in the Springs this weekend.

Fine - you play your way - we will play ours

If that were actually how geocaching worked everything would be fine, unfortunately if you want to play you will play my way, or some other persons way, you can seek your own hides and avoid this I imagine, just as I am required to play your way or not at all.

You use the word "our", I gather then that you are part of a group that thinks the numbers are an important part of the game ?

Who are the other geocachers in "our" who think that numbers are important ?

Other than allowing those with lower counts to be belittled, what use can be made of the numbers ?

Ok. Let's go with your original post:

I find that belittling as well as insulting.

Your generalization here insults a number of geocachers with a quad count and assumes they all write and treat the caches the same way.

In general, that's just wrong. In specifics, I know several quad count finders whom have been very inspirational to the sport and represent it in the best fashion you can imagine. So I also find your remark belittling and insulting.

That's a strong statement for a sport that started with a personal find count to help the finder keep track of what they did in a personal manner. So... everytime I post a find on the cache page, I'm swearing eh? Well 1 2 3 4 to you too. :( j/k because I want you to see just how silly that looks.

Part of speaking "Groundspeak" as you put it, is the find count. Speaking Groundspeak is also the respect of others and how they play the game. You may have later qualified you were belittling the numbers, but your original statement said otherwise. It may not be the way you play it, and if you're truly vehement about the find count, I hope you post all your finds as notes. Otherwise, that just makes you look very hypocritical.

To add onto TL's thought's; check out the logs for this cache we found yesterday. Geologygirl, another four digit finder was there too. Trust me, we didin't go there just for the numbers, but we did go to have fun and find another cache. :( This is the highest point in the county, and a .75 mile hike in, with gradual elevation increase the whole way, and a 90'+ vertical climb up a rock formation at the end.

Perhaps a high find count might just mean that we get out and do this more than others? :(

Finally-if you want to learn to speak Groundspeak I have some recommended reading for you:

There are certain guidelines you should be aware of before you post messages to this Discussion Forum. It is important there are some basic guidelines of conduct. While most people are courteous and polite; there are some individuals that choose to behave in a disrespectful and irresponsible manner. Unlike other public discussion boards, Groundspeak will take appropriate steps to keep our discussion in line with these guidelines and with good taste.
Edited by wimseyguy
you were belittling the numbers, but your original statement said otherwise

My original statement was very clear, regardless of how it impacted you. I specifically explained what I envisioned the OP doing after reading his initial post. So you think that comparing a geocacher with a handicapped person who lives in Nashville and hunt micros in the WalMart parking lot is somehow belittling and insulting someone ?

I don't think anyone is diminished by the description, who do you imagine I intended to belittle, you ?

Why would a description that probably fits some geocachers to a tee make you feel belittled and insulted ?

Do you object to the handicapped part ?

Do you object to the Nashville part ?

Do you object to the WalMart part ?

Do you feel that handicapped people who live in Nashville and geocache in the parking lot of the Walmart are less that other geocachers and comparisons to them diminish or belittle ? It is an insult to be associated with them, is that what you are implying ?

Please clarify your feelings and why you felt belittled and insulted.

Do you think this is insulting and belittling ?

Edited by wavector
you were belittling the numbers, but your original statement said otherwise

My original statement was very clear, regardless of how it impacted you. I specifically explained what I envisioned the OP doing after reading his initial post. So you think that comparing a geocacher with a handicapped person who lives in Nashville and hunt micros in the WalMart parking lot is somehow belittling and insulting someone ?

I don't think anyone is diminished by the description, who do you imagine I intended to belittle, you ?

Why would a description that probably fits some geocachers to a tee make you feel belittled and insulted ?

Do you object to the handicapped part ?

Do you object to the Nashville part ?

Do you object to the WalMart part ?

Do you feel that handicapped people who live in Nashville and geocache in the parking lot of the Walmart are less that other geocachers and comparisons to them diminish or belittle ? It is an insult to be associated with them, is that what you are implying ?

Please clarify your feelings and why you felt belittled and insulted.

Do you think this is insulting and belittling ?

I did clarify it for you. If you choose not see it, that's up to you.

Any further explanation merely takes this thread further off topic.

Cheers!

TL

Nothing wrong with numbers or goals.

I agree, and I did not mention there was anything wrong with them. I do not begrudge others for setting numbers as goals; they just don't work for me.

That being said, like anyone I'll have a list of caches dowloaded for a particular cache excursion. The spouse will ask how many there are for the day, and I'll state something like "I have six of them dowloaded in this region," but it is not a goal, per se, since if the universe aligns and we get them all, great. If it doesn't, or someone in the family would like to deviate from the "plan" to do something that looks really fun in the area, then so be it.

Last weekend, caching with only my daughter, I set a "reverse" goal. Heading out the door, I mentioned that we'd do "no more than four." This was an eye to the cache pages that stated nifty neighborhood parks, that are always inviting to a toddler to safely play and explore.

I just happened to realize that in my drive for the first 100, I was literally forgetting to stop and smell the flowers (actually, Sarah loves sniffing flowers and must sniff any and all we encounter). So I throttled back.

As sbell would be quick to point out, I've been verbose on stating a simple axiom that goes something like "I don't set X caches by Y as a goal, but I do list X caches on Y day as a 'plan.'"

... As sbell would be quick to point out, I've been verbose on stating a simple axiom that goes something like "I don't set X caches by Y as a goal, but I do list X caches on Y day as a 'plan.'"

Huh? :(

Actually, I really like how you put that.

I'm actually quite jealous of the time your getting with your daughter. I'm glad you have the attitude that you do.

Huh?  :(

Actually, I really like how you put that.

I'm actually quite jealous of the time your getting with your daughter.  I'm glad you have the attitude that you do.

It was a reference for your uncanny ability to summarize a long and confusing post with a simple one-liner. Such as "That makes two posts that I don't really understand. To get back on track, we'll put you down as a 'No'. " :(

Thanks for the comment on attitude. Actually, there's a good chance you will see me and Sarah hitting the LA area cache logs in April.

First (and only?) goal: Definately get the center of Disneyland cache. Already been there, and know what the answer is :( , but not as a geocacher. Other goals? As whims take us, we'll see. We will be headquartered in Burbank, so any suggestions for toddler-friendly caches would be quite welcome.

Cache on!

(edit: Silly grammar mistake few would have noticed)

Edited by Jeep_Dog

Well thanks to all that answered in what the spirit of the post was ment. Like the subtitle says "What Motivates You?". But otherwise it has been interesting so far. I know cachers of many different levels and the only reason I look at a profile is to see if the person walks the talk, thought that is being a little judgemental on my part it is the only scale I heve to go by.

I guess I was just re-evaluating one of my goals and wondering what others might have in mind. I KNOW fun is the number one driving force. But then again fun can wax and wain.

I appricate someone like Septic-Tank that takes the time to write verbose logs wish there were more like him as that is my motivation in doing hides is to see that peopel had fun find one of my cache, though I have been accused of being near the edge. It is fun and Yes I have gone to new places to find a cache like just outside of a sport used to store 1000+ portapoties, fortuntely it was a cold day. Or to some brush pile where vagrancs live. Or to a war memorial for vietnam vets I might never have visited or just getting to know the downtown area where I work. It is all fun I never said it wasn't but why the numbers bashing??????

Cheers

i am likewise not impressed with TNLNSL. i do not care about other people's numbers and i am not impressed by anyone's numbers other than to offer congratulations TO MY FRIENDS. this last part is important.

as for my own goals, i like to try to average one a day for each day since i started caching. that's it.

My goals are simple,

I try to make every 100th find be a memorable hide, but not a micro. not because I have anything against micros, but because we put laminated cards with or picture in each 100th cache we find. For number 1,000 we are going to leave a bowling ball that I found in my garage. We already have the cache picked out.

My other goal is to make it home from the cache and not buzzard food that some one might find.

You wanna put a bowling ball in a cache?!? that's kind of a tough one to trade for. Somehow, "took bowling ball (a perfect fit, imagine!) left PEZ dispenser" doesn't ring quite right.

OT, we're motivated to be outdoors and moving. I love to find interesting creative hides, and have the good fortune to be doing that in a great gxing community around here. I don't pay much attention to "milestones" that is, I don't know which find was 100 200 etc. But I do remember the really good ones. I am something of a MEFFaholic, though I don't hustle out after new ones like I once did (the price of gas has something to do with that).

I like logging online (my logs in the field are pretty short usually). and post a lot of :(pictures

Hey, it's SHOW and TELL all over again!

Edited by Isonzo Karst
Do you set goals for your geocaching experiance??? <snip>  I know folks say it is not about the numbers bit if it isn't then why log you finds????

We set goals when we cache.

-- Our goal is to get out and enjoy some fresh air and get exercise.

-- Our goal is to go someplace we have never been before.

When it comes to your second question, the answer is more complex:

I log our finds because I want to keep track of where we have been and what caches we have found. I like to know how many caches we have found, just for our own satisfaction, not for purposes of comparing us to other cachers.

Our numbers are not impressive (less than 50 finds in 15 months), but caching is something we do for fun when we have time. If there is a weekend where we have nothing booked then we will knock off a cache or two. Normally I will sit down with our Pocket Queries and GSAK and see which cache looks the most interesting to us on that day. If there are some others close by then we may hunt them, or we may leave them for another day.

I guess we are pretty casual cachers -- we'll pick a cache and make a day of it. We aren't into seeing how many caches we can knock off in a day. We don't care if we are the first to find. We don't care if we hunt every new cache or every cache that it listed as being the closest to our home coordinates. Quite frankly, I don't see the point in that -- plenty of people do and the beauty of caching is others can cache in a way that is enjoyable to them and it doesn't hurt my experience at all.

i am likewise not impressed with TNLNSL. i do not care about other people's numbers and i am not impressed by anyone's numbers other than to offer congratulations TO MY FRIENDS. this last part is important.

as for my own goals, i like to try to average one a day for each day since i started caching. that's it.

Shees that is my current goal so I have, okay everyone hide your eyes if you don't want to see this, 78 caches to go by the end of May. I am so ashamed.

If you don't like it then go find your owne goals.

cheers

You wanna put a bowling ball in a cache?!? that's kind of a tough one to trade for. Somehow, "took bowling ball (a perfect fit, imagine!) left PEZ dispenser" doesn't ring quite right.

I am going to leave other things also, From what I have been told this cache has room for several bowling balls. Other cachers have told me they have know idea how this person got the cache up the hill. It is a very steep climb, I have been at the trail head. BTW the cache owner knows I am planning on leaving the bowling ball, It will be a one of sig item.

There is a Bowling ball travel bug going around also that I have seen.

why log you finds????

Main reason to log finds is to give positive feedback to the people who

place caches. Encourage them to place more.

Secondary is to let others know what attraction, if any, is there. B)

Why just positive feedback? what if there are issues that need to addressed the may be negative.

I have seen some pretty bad cache locations and read log warning of problems with the location of a cache.

In my area, celebrations (events) are scheduled when one or more achieve 1000 finds . . . one family did this in a single (first) year, others have taken more time.

This community, therefore, recognizes numbers to that point & I am part of it - therefore, I have a goal of 1K in 2 years. I am at 600 in just over 13 months just now. After that, it comes to a focus on some of the more esoteric/ethereal ideals, mentioned in earlier posts, perhaps.

...then why log you finds????

So I know we've done that cache. Simple.

Our goals include keeping a 50 mile radius clear of unfound caches no matter how hard or inaccessible and place caches our fellow cachers enjoy. Oh, and be FTF on puzzle caches.

Our motivation is the implied promise that we will be entertained when we go on a hunt. Show us something neat or take us on an adventure, that's all the motivation we need.

Hitting a milestone number is always a goal, and I have kept a few records for my geocaching activity (like caches in a day or in a month), but I also have a list of caches that always seem to escape my eye. Caches that I have gone after but didn't find end up on that list and I wait for the next opportunity to get that cache off that list and on my find list. A multi 100 miles N of my house has stumped me on 3 different hunts and has spanned over two years. It is on the disabled list and I am praying to the Man upstairs for the cache to be restarted so I can go for it!