Tnlnsl Just Won't Do

I have noticed a trend appearing with cache logs.

Found cache no problems TNLNSL cache is in good condition

It's OK if you are passing comment on a lame ( :lol: micro :o ) cache. It's the caches that are worthy of more interesting logs than the above where it just won't do.

So come on lets have some decent logs TNLNSL just won't do.

We agree with Mark and Lynn.

The log is the way to communicate with the cache setter, prospective cache setters and prospective finders. It should, like an annual appraisal, give feedback to all interested parties.

When we visited GCH7MM:

Not Far from John O'Groats (not)

...we found a wing mirror in the final container. Not very impressed - until we read the previous logs and found out about its history. Laughed like a drain! The logs made it a most memorable find.

Most importantly, it rewards the setter...

I'm afraid when you're huddling under a hedge in the p***ing rain trying to keep a logbook dry then TNLN TFTC is probably the better option,

Hmm.. I disagree. If you're huddling under a hedge in the rain trying to sign the logbook, why not mention that in your log?

Anyway, I don't think this is a recent trend at all, it's been like that for a long time. The trend, I think, is that many more people log online. When I first started caching, the online logging rate was maybe a bit more than 50%. In the last few years, that rate has increased to near 100%! That's awesome.

I've earned a bit of a local reputation for writing long-winded logs, and I believe I've even inspired a few other locals to add a little more to what they write. That's probably the most effective thing, rather than bringing it up in the forums.

Jamie

[edit] I just realized this is the UK forum. Perhaps my experience doesn't translate as well over there. Nonetheless, it's what I've seen.

Edited by Jamie Z
I'm afraid when you're huddling under a hedge in the p***ing rain trying to keep a logbook dry then TNLN TFTC is probably the better option, but can see the point.

I often try to put a bit more in the online log than the cache logbook.

I agree with you entirely. When I'm writing in the physical log book all I'm likely to do is prove I've been there and say that I took nothing, or maybe took a travel bug. I'll log much more online of course.

This has been discussed at www.geocacheuk.com recently click here. MarkandLynn know this because they started that thread there too :(:(

I'll agree on all counts. As a relative newbie, i've taken great joy in reading the logs both online and in situ, not overly interested in the TNLNSL TFTC.

I will however admit, to writing rather brief logs in logbooks for a variety of reasons (mainly caused by inexperience or stupidity);

e.g. "it's dark and I can't see what i'm writing" or " It's snowing, i'm in appropriately dressed - just too eager to geocache for my own good" or even "oh no, i've lost the dog!"

Always try to expand more online! for the amusement of others. :(

:( This is really winding me up- in a nice way. Of course we write a lot in the log if there's a point to be made- but it's also open to muggling- which online is not so much.

Maybe if there's adifficulty and something needs to be said.

But otherwise what's the problem.

This is my first day on the forum and it seems big issues are being made for the sake of it

Just my opinion but quite an eyeopener :(

Having only set one real cache and a couple of virtuals I have to say that everytime I see the "Owner" tag in my inbox I click on that first.

I love seeing a log saying that someone loved the walk, will visit again or something else positive.

If someone just says TNLNSL on line I feel a bit deflated, as if they've not appreciated the place I've taken them to. I'm not personally bothered by the log book at this time.

I realise there are numbers people out there and accept that, I'm an amateur numbers man myself. So I'm not saying I begrudge a short log, it's just I much prefer longer logs.

Since I set the cache I try to make longer (Online) logs myself now.

Interestingly a couple of times I've had a thank you note from the cache setter, which is nice too.

Adrian

Edited by Kitty Hawk
Interestingly a couple of times I've had a thank you note from the cache setter, which is nice too.

We don't tend to go mad in the logbook, but I always try and make sure the web logs have a bit of flavour. It wasnt until I went to some event caches and several cachers said they enjoyed readin them that I realised how many people actually scan through the logs.

TNLNSL logs bore me, you get no idea what the cacher is like or anything, its disappointing when someone logs one of your caches like this.

I'd like to see more funny logs, plenty of funny stuff always seems to happens to me when I go caching, so Im sure it does to everyone else too.

I agree with everyone :(

A TNLNSL might say as much about the logger as the cache, and while my logs in books is kept short but sweet to reduce the chance of being spotted in situ (although I usually move some distance away from the hide to sign the book) I do like to flesh-out the story online. The advantage here is I get to relate my trip back from the cache as well as the trip to it. I like to acknowledge clever ideas and interesting places, but some caches it is rather hard to say anything special because finding it wasn't much of an experience.

Numbers folks (and I've been one myself, from time to time) have the problem that all caches they've done that day blur together. I make notes, and always remember the adventures I have finding certain caches. Often by looking at my cuts and bruises. :( I try to relate those tales of high drama, and not bore people stupid with dull detail from not-so-exciting caches. A couple of lines is about the minimum to say a bit about the hunt and find, I think.

A TFTC is always nice too, even if it was only a so-so cache. Part of the reason I like to set caches is to see folks funny pictures and read their stories. I figure the best way to do this is set the sorts of caches which require comment. Here's an example from a log I read yesterday from one of mine:

What more can you ask for on a Sunday but two semi dressed men doing there best Mr Darcy impersonations!!

Stuff like this makes me giggle. :(

SP

Edited by Simply Paul

I love both.

The logbook logs have runny ink spot when it was raining. They have dreadful handwriting when the wind was bitterly cold. They have kids' handwriting, and pawprints, and stickers, and rubber stamps. I use the logbook log to describe my feeling at the site, draw a doodle, stick a sticker, whatever.

The online log has the whole story from start to finish, and is also the appropriate place to note the condition of the cache and contents - to alert the owner to possible problems.

TNLNSL bugs me a little. TFTC bugs me a lot. If you're thankful, at least go to the effort to write "Thanks". That's just my opinion.

Stu

I feel that the log is like a payment to the setter of the cache for all there work placing and maintaining the cache. So if it is a real lame cache then I suppose a TNLNSL may just about be OK, but surely a line or two would not be that much trouble. If the cache setter has gone to some trouble in making a decent cache then the log really should reflect this.

When we see an email coming through with a title starting "[LOG] Owner: " we get quite excited (perhaps a slight exaggeration) as we do enjoy reading the logs, such a disappointment when you open it and find TNLNSL.

Not to bothered about what is in the log book as we don't get to see them to often, but come lets have a bit more effort on the computer log, it is most definitely appreciated.

Like some others above, I don't write much in the physical logbook, but I do try to make my online logs worthwhile reading.

Unless it's a particularly secluded area, I try to have the cache out of its hiding place for as little time as possible, so I keep my logs short. With the online log, though, I aim to give the owner something back in return for hiding the cache. I look at it as a sort of "thank you" letter.

Geocaching: Euphemisms in the log.

“Found after a bit of a search.”

Five and-a-half hours, no lunch, kids completely out of control, wife furious.

“An unusual hiding place for this micro.”

You'd think a sheep would notice it was up there.

“Quite a long hike to the cache site.”

The Sherpas demanded double wages.

“TNLNSL”

The lamest, most boring cache ever.

“Left a note in the logbook.”

The second most boring cache ever.

“Our first visit to Wales.”

And our last.

“Paths rather muddy on the approach.”

Gran's new Nike-Air trainers are ruined.

“The steep drop behind the hiding place was a surprise.”

I wet myself.

“Co-ords slightly off.”

The cache is really in Northamptonshire.

I can see the point of writing very little in the actual log book at the the cache, there often isn't the time in a busy location.

But I like to write a good note in the on-line log because I know how dissapointing the TNLN type of report is. I think it's once you have your own caches that this strikes you. I had one once that read something like...........

"Took nothing left mothing, bit boring really"

I thought "well thanks very much!" although to be fair I think the cacher was refering to his own entry rather than my cache, as the "bit boring really" was editted out the next day when he realised what he'd said!

So...Mark and Lynn - were you talking about physical log books, or on-line logs?

I think there's general agreement that the physical log book entry might be a bit brief (for various reasons, but mostly due to muggles and/or discomfort), but that TNLN as an on-line log is a bit of an insult, and infers that the cache is rather lame.

I know this can get time-consuming if you log 15 caches in a day, but it's worth taking a few notes as you go so it's easy to recall your adventures - and it will encourage the cache setters to continue with the good work.

I know I always write much less in the physical log, but, when logging on-line, I try and reward the cache setter with an interesting read (even for a DNF).

HH

So...Mark and Lynn - were you talking about physical log books, or on-line logs?

I think there's general agreement that the physical log book entry might be a bit brief (for various reasons, but mostly due to muggles and/or discomfort), but that TNLN as an on-line log is a bit of an insult, and infers that the cache is rather lame.

I know this can get time-consuming if you log 15 caches in a day, but it's worth taking a few notes as you go so it's easy to recall your adventures - and it will encourage the cache setters to continue with the good work.

I know I always write much less in the physical log, but, when logging on-line, I try and reward the cache setter with an interesting read (even for a DNF).

HH

I think most people would agree with you there HH....I certainly do :ninja:

I would just like to add that I see nothing wrong with TNLN or TNLNSL when accompanied by a fuller log comment either on the physical log or the online one!

I realise that this was probably taken as rote...but just thought I would underline this aspect.

t.a.folk,

As Ullium pointed out, there's nothing wrong with TNLN (and variants), it's just that, when that's the only comment made it's likely to be disappointing for the cache setter, and implies that the cache is just forgettable (even if this is not meant).

A log doesn't have to be great literature, just (e.g.) "Walked here across a muddy field from the car, but weather warmer than of late. Found easily after a minute checking the tree stump. Never been here before - nice cache! Had no swaps with us, so TNLN" - which is pretty dull but sets the scene a little and shows respect for the cache owner.

Of course, ideally you'd have lots of adventures on the way "Started walking across the swamp but young Johnny was attacked by an alligator half way. I wrestled with it for fully half an hour before it finally relented - I patched up Johnny's wounds using the magic healing leaves found nearby and we continued. We made it to the tree stump only to find a ritual sacrifice ceremony in progress by a coven of the local witches...I was forced to distract them by performing cartwheels and handstands while Johny signed the log...TNLN, TFTC. Nice weather too." Slightly less dull, and based on a typical cache hunt involving Team Ullium B) - although in their case this type of thing really happens!

HH

Edited by Happy Humphrey
Of course, ideally you'd have lots of adventures on the way "Started walking across the swamp but young Johnny was attacked by an alligator half way. I wrestled with it for fully half an hour before it finally relented - I patched up Johnny's wounds using the magic healing leaves found nearby and we continued. We made it to the tree stump only to find a ritual sacrifice ceremony in progress by a coven of the local witches...I was forced to distract them by performing cartwheels and handstands while Johny signed the log...TNLN, TFTC. Nice weather too." Slightly less dull, and based on a typical cache hunt involving Team Ullium :( - although in their case this type of thing really happens!

A bit like this log then B):mad::(

I know I always write much less in the physical log, but, when logging on-line, I  try and reward the cache setter with an interesting read (even for a DNF).

HH

Online logs of course. The whole family get that buzz when someone says so and so visited such and such cache today. What did they leave, take did they enjoy it ?.

or when planning a cache trip what are the previous logs like?

LOL at wildlifewriter

Personally, I like reading nice long cache logs. I think my favourite of all time has to be this one of SimonG's (and the 2nd part right above it) - makes me laugh every time I read it!! Poor Simon lol :lol:

If you read it, he could have just said TNLN - but then we'd have been robbed of such a classic tale!

Edited by Faye & Brad
Of course, ideally you'd have lots of adventures on the way "Started walking across the swamp but young Johnny was attacked by an alligator half way. I wrestled with it for fully half an hour before it finally relented - I patched up Johnny's wounds using the magic healing leaves found nearby and we continued. We made it to the tree stump only to find a ritual sacrifice ceremony in progress by a coven of the local witches...I was forced to distract them by performing cartwheels and handstands while Johny signed the log...TNLN, TFTC. Nice weather too." Slightly less dull, and based on a typical cache hunt involving Team Ullium  :D - although in their case this type of thing really happens!

A bit like this log then :D:D:D

Looks like we'll have to be a tad 'creative' this coming weekend John to keep the punters amused :D

Did I mention it is "Someones" birthday on Friday? No of course I didn't :lol:

Edited by Motley Crew

from Cryptik

I always try and make sure the web logs have a bit of flavour

His logs are great. We really enjoy reading logs that record the pleasures and pains of the cache - and that give just a smidgen of additional guidance.

from Hornet on a 5star cache that obviously drove him ( and us ) to distraction

After 4 attempts I finally crack this little b****r. If I ever see that gate again it will be too soon. I've attempted it in sunshine, rain, pouring rain and drizzle
and it went on from there ....

or the sanguine 'give up and goto pub' here from Birders on another 5star

Spent an hour with Corvusgeo searching every nook and cranny without success. We tried every combination of the cryptic clues and the other coordinates suggested in the logs.... and we reckoned we got to those co-ordinates pretty close.. but, alas, no sign of any cache.

If at first you don't succeed - go home for a pint!

Lets have more like these

When on holiday there are times when one has to use a cyber cafe or use phone modem combination paying upfront per minute! Therefore TNLNSL on the online log is preferable to writing long sentences especially if you have a long list of finds. I admit to using the sticker system but also try to write a little something in the cache log book although not all the time.

I am shortly going on 3 weeks travelling away from home and doubt if I can make it to a PC during that time to log any finds (hundreds?) so will have to make notes in cache log books of same. Brain now thinks ' hm, better make a sticker for that info!.

Happy Caching

When on holiday there are times when one has to use a cyber cafe or use phone modem combination paying upfront per minute! Therefore TNLNSL on the online log is preferable to writing long sentences especially if you have a long list of finds.

I don't know about the rest off the UK, but here in Wales, you get an hours internet access, for free, in all Librarys. All it takes is some form of ID with your home address. Why pay, when you don't have to :blink: .

Dave :rolleyes:

certainly in the local libraries round here. does it apply to people from outside the area though? ie tourists.

All my local librarys ask is that you take out membership (it's instant, you just have to have some ID, with your home address on it), as protection for themselves, incase you send something which is traced back to that pc. Membership is open to everyone, were ever you live. I live in Flintshire, but use library PC's in Denbighshire, when I have had a need to use one, as they are closer to home. The one cybercafe that opened near by, lasted less than 6 months, no one used it.

Dave

Thanks for the info all but I will be in the back and beyond, somewhere in the South West far endish, camping, over 10 miles to the nearest largish habitation. . I am hoping though that my Son will turn up with his super-duper lastest gadget phone and let me use it. Must get myself set up in the Summer with same if funds permit. I may be surprised and find the local Pub has access as I understand this is getting a popular venue for Internet access. An excuse for a Pub Crawl?

I'm afraid when you're huddling under a hedge in the p***ing rain trying to keep a logbook dry then TNLN TFTC is probably the better option, but can see the point.

I often try to put a bit more in the online log than the cache logbook.

When signing the cache log I always feel it needs something quick and to the point, as there are often muggles around . I feel that the online Log should be more detailed and outline any important points for the setter. :unsure:

Edited by Dave, Rosa & Adam