Palm W/ Pictures?

I am a newbie at paperless caching. I have read several threads that have gotten me this far BUT... How do you, or is there a way to get the pictures/hints into your PDA? I am learning and using GSAK and cachemate. I can get the cache info, hints, logs but no pictures. Like I said, I've only been paperless for 2 days.

Thanks

I use Plucker, so I'm not completely sure how cachemate works. The desktop application I use to generate the pages to be synced to my Palm's Plucker application is Sunrise Desktop. Sunrise does generate the pics that are part of the cache description, but not those in the logs.

I might try out Spoiler Sync. I wonder if this gives all the photos from a cache, or just those tied to the initial page's logs?

try spoiler sync.

give it a gpx and you’ll get the images. even those in logs.

happy hunting from hamburg.

That looks really interesting. I will have to give it a try. I wonder if the GPX file has enough info in it so that the initial http request for the page can be avoided and just the images fetched. That would save GC.com bandwidth.

--Marky

I know I'm probly doing it the hard way, but we gotta start somewhere. No GPS yet, and low $$ leads me to..... cut & paste each cache page & hints, whatever I think I'll need, into Word.doc, save on the SD card on my Ipaq.

Then..... I make maps, save to the SD card also..... been helpful so far!!

I've been using USAPhotoMaps on my PC, getting the b/w aerial photos. I mark my waypoints, and have it 'show names of waypoints' (don't remember if the names show up on the ipaq).... (of course, copla times we've had my laptop in the car, and can run the cursor around the USAPhotoMaps on it, to find the coordinates - can't do the active part on the ipaq)

I change the size of the map area that I want really small - too small just becomes green wp dots on gray graph, but next size up from that - and save as "copy to screen0#.jpg" (can tell by date/time which "screen pic #" it was saved as in USAPhotoMap directory). Then I send it to my ipaq SD card as a .jpg!!! works pretty slick. Then, can enlarge it on the ipaq to see the area, or keep it smaller for general area.....

:ninja:

So I would assume that Plucker violates TOS as well?  If not, I'd be interested in understanding the difference.

I think the difference is between downloading a page for verbatim display, and just gleaning pictures from it (screen scraping of another kind). Could be wrong, though...

Edited by Maeglin
So I would assume that Plucker violates TOS as well?  If not, I'd be interested in understanding the difference.

I think the difference is between downloading a page for verbatim display, and just gleaning pictures from it (screen scraping of another kind). Could be wrong, though...

As far as GC's web servers are concerned, the HTTP requests would be the same (from what I can tell), and both are storing the content offline for later access. I would just like to know the lawyerspeak that allows one and not the other.

--Marky

As far as GC's web servers are concerned, the HTTP requests would be the same (from what I can tell), and both are storing the content offline for later access. I would just like to know the lawyerspeak that allows one and not the other.

--Marky

Hmm. TOU #5 says:

"Much of the information on the Site is updated on a real time basis and is proprietary or is licensed to Groundspeak by our users or third parties. You agree that you will not use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Site for any purpose without our express written permission. Additionally, you agree that you will not: (a) take any action that imposes, or may impose in our sole discretion an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure; or (B) interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Site or any activities conducted on the Site or other measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to the Site."

So I suppose they could object on part (a). Do GPX files (eg pocket query results) contain images? I'm assuming not, apart from the small map.

Edited by Dr. Boggis
Do GPX files (eg pocket query results) contain images? I'm assuming not, apart from the small map.

They only contain links to images... and then only when they're referenced in an HTML cache description. Any photos uploaded for a cache but not referenced in its description aren't referenced, and neither are those in any cache logs.

Somwhere I read that if you are using GSAK and Plucker, there was something you could do so that you would be able to view images on your PDA. My understanding is that you would not have to use any other software. I can't find it anywhere. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Yes, you can view images with that combination. I'm just wondering if Plucker violates TOS, since it is widely used. And if it doesn't, how does it differ from a tool like spoiler sync. I guess nobody is going to comment on that.

--Marky

They don't show up because the pictures aren't in the .gpx you receive. You have to pluck the images from geocaching.com. In the Plucker setup, you have to tell it to include images, and don't restrict it to the host. This will make the conversion very slow, and the resulting file very large, but it's possible. If I have Plucker not restricted, the resulting file is > 10MB, which won't fit on most older Palms. The pictures aren't worth the effort to me, so I don't bother. You certainly don't want this for every cache, because it's just too much data. I can see it for a few individual caches, where the picture is a necessary part of the puzzle, and for these you should set up a separate channel just for that cache.