So Where Are The Explorists 500 And 600??

D0T-C0M

This looks like a good time and place for me to mention that I'm over my initial reaction to the joystick. It now feels natural to navigate the menus with the thing, and since it protrudes a bit more than the other keys it's an easy thing to click when needed.

embra, you probably know by now that I'm a cheerleader for the eX200. I also love the joystick, but I caution you that down the road, when the top of the joystick is worn smooth, that it can get a little slippery.

I wish they had applied the "cat's tongue" treatment found on trackpoint covers for laptops (although those, too, get worn).

Perhaps the best solution would be a concave surface.

I have a new card on order though, as another factor has come into play. Namely the speed of the card. It's pretty annoying waiting for a map to load while the other cachers are 100M down the trail.

<snip>

The 66X card in my PDA can handle 9MB/second - which means the average map should take no more than 2 seconds to load from the card. I'll know on Wednesday when the card gets here. Right now I can be up to a minute or so loading a large map from the 'plain old blue SanDisk'.

I'd be grateful if you could do comparative tests with the two cards. My impression so far from reports has been that it doesn't make too much of a difference.

Ok, the new SD Card is here, and I've loaded the same maps up on both cards on the eXplorist.

I had two maps that I used, one was a Topo Canada v1.00 map of Southern Ontario, it's about 52MB in size. The other was a Direct Route NA for the same area, about 38MB in size.

The cards I have on hand are the older "blue" Sandisk 256MB and a newer "black" 66X Sandisk Ultra II 512MB.

First I timed how long it took me to get the file selection dialog from a poweroff.

1X Blue : 31.3 seconds

66x Black: 27.3 seconds.

Then I loaded up the Topo Canada map first, and noted how long before the "Loading..." screen disappeared and how long before the actual map started to draw.

Loading Screen:

1x Blue: 8.8 seconds

66x Black: 8.9 seconds

(basically the same)

Map Starts to Draw:

1x Blue: 39.7 seconds

66x Black: 32.0 seconds

and with the Direct Route Map (starts to draw...)

1x Blue: 37.0 seconds

66x Black: 29.9 seconds.

So the Ultra II card seems to load a bit faster, but when you're standing at the trailhead it's still going to be a while. I left the sync cable at home so I wasn't able to compare times for loading the map onto the unit itself.

[ Edit - wrote the wrong version number on the Topo ]

Edited by northernpenguin
This looks like a good time and place for me to mention that I'm over my initial reaction to the joystick.  It now feels natural to navigate the menus with the thing, and since it protrudes a bit more than the other keys it's an easy thing to click when needed.

I still concur with your assessment above about the screens, Jamie.  I want someplace where I can see at least another two data fields, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it in the meantime.

I can allow that if you weren't prepared for it, Doc-Dean, you'd feel a little short-changed by the screen offerings.  SInce they *do* have that much more on the Meridians, it seems not unreasonable that they'll show up on the explori eventually.

I'm used to the new button/click stick layout and the new screens. While I'm not really upset about the fewer screens, I am disappointed that the projection feature was bypassed. Boy, I hope this is one of the first "fixes" in the firmware.

I'd have to concur with the views here that I don't really miss the other screens too much but it seems like there are a lot of caches popping up around here that need 'projections', so a GPS that markets itself to geocaching as heaviliy as the eXplorist does, they need to put that back in.

Back to the original subject of the thread - from the TIGERGPS web site:

SHIPPING FRIDAY, MAY 6 - (for the Explorist 600's)

What will Marky do?? :blink:

Joani is letting me play with her 600 some until mine arrives, so I'm relatively happy. <_< I need to figure out a custom export GPSBabel command to limit the caches to 200, or maybe I really just need to figure out how to tell GSAK to output the waypoints in "distance from center" order, so that the geocaching manager will put the correct 200 waypoints into the file.

--Marky

Limiting the number of caches to 200 is relatively easy with GSAK.

Use the filter to sort the caches in the order you need. then goto the USER FLAG menu and select "Set for next NN records"

This will set the user flag on the first NN records (where NN can be set to 200). Go back to the filter and filter using the User Flag "set" . You will be left with the first 200 geocaches.

The real pain with the eXplorist 600 is getting a bunch of caches that are similarly named to be loaded by the Geocache Manager.

For example, the "Micro Mania: Stage X" caches get truncated on me and only the first one shows up in the file on the eXplorist.

The "Geocache Manager" software makes the waypoint based on the Cache Name from the GPX file. I have been able to mangle the "waypoint" name, and the "cache description" in GSAK, but not the actual "cache name" so I can't load those caches unless I make a regular Magellan WPT file and load it that way.

Complaint #2 -- I can't make .UPT (waypoint) or .GS (geocache) files on my filesystem and copy them to the card myself. Annoying when the cable is sitting at home and I have three different SD card readers that don't help me when the "Conversion Manager" indicates "No eXplorist Found".

<_<

IIRC, GSAK hands them to me (GPSBabel) in the order they appear on the screen, so sort by radius and send 5000 if you like. The last 300 will "merely" fall on the floor.

But unless you have a GPSBabel and/or GSAK that writes .gs files, you're writing .upt files and the limit on those is 500 and not 200, right? (So you're no worse off than ytou were with the explorists you've had so far...)

Northpenguin, I finished coding both those features this week. As soon as I can make GM actually work (sigh) to do some additional testing, I have a feeling that there'll be no need to use GM ever again. :-)

As for your "complaint #2", you can write "meridian SD files" from GPSBabel (and thus GSAK) and write them to your mounted drive with versions available today. I did discover today that the waypoint name is now 20 characters (raised from 8) so I'll be cranking that up soon.

Northpenguin, I finished coding both those features this week. As soon as I can make GM actually work (sigh) to do some additional testing, I have a feeling that there'll be no need to use GM ever again. :-)

As for your "complaint #2", you can write "meridian SD files" from GPSBabel (and thus GSAK) and write them to your mounted drive with versions available today. I did discover today that the waypoint name is now 20 characters (raised from 8) so I'll be cranking that up soon.

That sounds good. I guess #2 was more aimed at Magellan than anyone else. I figured I should be able to do these things with their software, especially when the manual indicates that the use of a SD Card reader is "preferred".

Thanks for developing a real alternative for the geocaching power users.

I do like the 20 character waypoints. Even when Magellan's own map software acts up with them.

( editing a 20 character waypoint name causes an error in MapSend and I have had it act up to the point of having to kill the task and restart )

I just downloaded GSAK to try out, so I have a couple newb questions, My explorist600(due friday) has a maximum waypoint length of 20 characters right? so I can make the GSAK smart names 20 characters long to use as geocache waypoint names right? How are you organizing your geocache waypoints on your SD card? If you do 20 caches in a day do you change the icon or move them to a found directory on your SD card? I don't have a palm, Can you leave a brief text relating to each found cache on the SD card using your explorist or are you using paper, for use when you arrive back home to put your comments online?

Also a couple plain stupid question but what do these stand for, IIRC and OTOH mean?

Thanks for the SD card comparison Northernpenguin post.

Edited by D0T-C0M
I did discover today that the waypoint name is now 20 characters (raised from 8) so I'll be cranking that up soon.

I think what you meant to say is that Jamie Z discovered this about a week ago and let me know as soon as possible, and I'll be sending him a beta copy of the fix as soon as I have it done.

Jamie

I did discover today that the waypoint name is now 20 characters (raised from 8) so I'll be cranking that up soon.

I think what you meant to say is that Jamie Z discovered this about a week ago and let me know as soon as possible, and I'll be sending him a beta copy of the fix as soon as I have it done.

Jamie

I remember you mentioning that cache names could be 20 characters, but I thought that was in the .gs format and nto the .upt format. It appears to be true for even waypoints. I won't say you didn't tell me that (and please don't take the time to prove it either way) but it sure felt like a discovery today.

Besides, I have a teeny little attention span and reserve the right to rediscover the same thing repeatedly. (Did you ever see "Fifty First Dates?")

( editing a 20 character waypoint name causes an error in MapSend and I have had it act up to the point of having to kill the task and restart )

That sounds depressingly believable to me. Magellans own software released well after the number of points in a route was raised from 30 still tends to be blinded by that light, too.

Yes, max waypoint name is 20. But even if you can coerce GSAK into giving you 20, GPSBabel is going to whack them back to 8 for the Meridian SD format (which does work on explorist) because it knows the Meridian will only take 8. So you can use eight today and twenty once the involved software supports it.

The GPSBabel guy had a head start thanx to some folks in this thread, but has only had a unit in hand for about 40 hours, so there's some catching up to do. :laughing:

You can't change the icon or edit geocache points in this unit. I consider that (one of) the deal-breakers for Geocaching mode and will probably use plain ole user waypoints. My Meridian modus operandi was simply to delete the waypoints as I went. You can edit user waypoitns.

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

OTOH = On The Other Hand

You cannot edit or move the geocaches in the explorist, But you can save them as POIs instead of geocaches.  POIs can be moved oand edited.

thanks johnnyvegas.

I'm a bit confused I thought GSAK transferred caches to the GPS as POIs.

what about leaving a message for each POI (cache), can you do this with the explorist?

Edited by D0T-C0M
You can't change the icon or edit geocache points in this unit. I consider that (one of) the deal-breakers for Geocaching mode.

I agree 100%

Can you put a bunch of POIs in a directory and another bunch in another directory and select which directory of POIs will be displayed on the map.

You can't change the icon or edit geocache points in this unit.  I consider that (one of) the deal-breakers for Geocaching mode.

I agree 100%

Can you put a bunch of POIs in a directory and another bunch in another directory and select which directory of POIs will be displayed on the map.

Yes, I think that is determined by which file you set as the DEFAULT POI FILE in the ACTIVE SETUP menu

Yes, I think that is determined by which file you set as the DEFAULT POI FILE in the ACTIVE SETUP menu

great, now is there a way to upload custom POI icons?

Robertlipe whats the difference between geocaches and POIs as far as the gps is concerned? I though they were all POIs...I'm guessing that geocaches are a different format that include more info on the cache?

Edited by D0T-C0M
My order status with tigergps has changed from on hold to warehouse, so they must have gotten their shipment finally. Yay for me, now Joani and I will have matching GPSrs. :huh:

--Marky

Marky how long you been waiting for a 600? I ordered mine yesterday and tracking shows its going to be here tomorrow. It was only an extra $5 for 2 day shipping so I splurged hopinng it would make it for the weekend.

It was $367 at Amazon.

My order status with tigergps has changed from on hold to warehouse, so they must have gotten their shipment finally.  Yay for me, now Joani and I will have matching GPSrs.  :huh:

--Marky

Marky how long you been waiting for a 600? I ordered mine yesterday and tracking shows its going to be here tomorrow. It was only an extra $5 for 2 day shipping so I splurged hopinng it would make it for the weekend.

It was $367 at Amazon.

Heh, I ordered mine in January. I refuse to cancel my order now on principle. :huh: I also opted for the slowest possible shipping as well. I apparently don't really care if I ever receive it.

Heh, I ordered mine in January. I refuse to cancel my order now on principle. :ph34r: I also opted for the slowest possible shipping as well. I apparently don't really care if I ever receive it.

Wife called a couple hours ago and said UPS dropped it off. I'm had her plug it in so it would be charged. I'm headed home now, its a nice excuse to kick out early on Friday.

got mine too, charged the battery, loaded the maps. I was prepared to see that it was tiny but this is quite the tiny but powerful unit. Only downside is I caught the friggin flu, first time in over 2 years and feel like s*** and slept most of the day.

Edited by D0T-C0M
the cable points downward when connected to the gps not upward

Ok now thats the stupidest thing I've ever seen! I flipped the cable over and it works.

So what Magellan said the cable in one position makes USB work, the cable in the other position charges the unit. There is no reason in the world why they could not have done both at the same time. That is the stupidest thing I have ever seen!

Ok Gang. I just got my 600 in yesterday from www.thegpsstore.com

Now Im having difficulties and am looking for help.

1. I just got my 600 in yesterday and allready am having difficuties and hoping you can help. Ive been trying to use the Magellan Geocache program. When I try to load a Geocache querry of 500 caches, the program wont load all the caches to the unit. Ive tried both sending to the SD card and also internal memory. I do have EasyGPS, but wont work with this new unit and there is no upgrade yet.

2. Ive got my maps on the SD card with no problem, but while in the map, the caches that did load wont show up on the maps. I do have the unit map detail settings set to highest.

3. The electric compass. I did do the calibration as directed in the directions. But it seems to not be acurate as compared to my friends unit. Seems like 20 degrees off of his. I did redo the calibration and will see what happens.

If you have any more tricks or ideas, Please, Please send them. This is one cool unit, but alot of training involved. I did find the full instruction book in PDF off the magellan site. I can be emailed at smokeyandteacher at charter . net

Thanks again.

Smokey & the teacher

Sparta, WI.

I can only help with #1 since it's been covered several times.

The unit will let you have only 200 geocaches from GM at a time. Nobody's yet figured out *which* 200 it takes.

If you bypass GM and use GSAK or GPSBabel to write waypoint (.upt) files instead of geocache files (.gs) you can get 500 at a time.

I can only help with #1 since it's been covered several times.

The unit will let you have only 200 geocaches from GM at a time. Nobody's yet figured out *which* 200 it takes.

If you bypass GM and use GSAK or GPSBabel to write waypoint (.upt) files instead of geocache files (.gs) you can get 500 at a time.

Can you help me with the GPSBabel. I have that program, but alittle instruction would help out alot.

Smokey

That is the stupidest thing I have ever seen!

It's a feature. :)

--Marky

I've only had it for 28 hours now and so far all I have is a list of complaints. Right now I'm regretting not getting the 60cs. Hopefully its just stuff I need to figure out.

Right now my biggest complaint is saving a waypoint and going to it. I push mark and I get a waypoint. I edit that waypoint to what I want and then I have to select save. I have to choose where to save it. Then to goto it I have to push goto and select the file where I saved the point. Open the file and find the point that I saved. On top of that if I add another point it doesn't increment the name so I have to manually rename the point. Maybe this is normal on a Magellan but having only ever had Garmins this is way more complicated than I'm used to.

With my foretrex I hold enter until it comes up to mark a point, I edit the point and select goto. If I add another point it increments it.

Right now my biggest complaint is saving a waypoint and going to it. I push mark and I get a waypoint. I edit that waypoint to what I want and then I have to select save. I have to choose where to save it. Then to goto it I have to push goto and select the file where I saved the point. Open the file and find the point that I saved. On top of that if I add another point it doesn't increment the name so I have to manually rename the point. Maybe this is normal on a Magellan but having only ever had Garmins this is way more complicated than I'm used to.

With my foretrex I hold enter until it comes up to mark a point, I edit the point and select goto. If I add another point it increments it.

You may (or may not) be encountering more hassle than you need to...I think part of it probably is differences between Garmin/Magellan as the explorist logic was pretty easy to pick up moving from the Meridian.

Unless you are changing the names of the waypoints, they should increment. I get POI001, POI002, etc. Are you saying that your foretrex would let you name a waypoint "Mypoint" and then automatically name the next one "Mypoint1"?

When I'm prompted where to save, all I have to do is to hit the joystick to accept my default folder. Perhaps you yet need to set up your defaults in menu/preferences/active setup. One drawback to having the option of multiple files and folders is you have to specify which one; I don't find a single click too much work (if I was saving a bunch of waypoints to a non-default file, I'd probably switch defaults for a while).

Setting a GOTO to a POI in the default file is again not too much navigation, but more work if in a non-default file. Sorting closest to position or cursor helps narrow the field. If you have a large number of POIs to sort through alphabetically, this is a weak spot in Magellan. They're sorted, but you'll have to scroll. You can reverse scroll for something at the bottom, but you can't search by a letter or two (Garmins are better here, aren't they?)

On my Meridian, I dealt with the search problem by creating new waypoints in files that didn't have many other waypoints.

Edited by embra

As best I can tell it is taking 200 by GC wpt name, clipping off the newest caches. That might not be right, but it seems to be the case - which really sucks!

As best I can tell it is taking 200 by GC wpt name, clipping off the newest caches. That might not be right, but it seems to be the case - which really sucks!

Is it really the bottom 200 GC #'s? Wow.

I hate to be the one to organize ballot box stuffing campaigns, but people that are unhappy about it (and I was unhappy with 200 "no excusues" in 330/Meridian; why would I be happy about it in a 2005 model when the competitive units go to 1000 waypoints?) need to write and/or call Magellan/Thales and tell them this.

Throwing away waypoints because they're not unique in the first 20 chars is bad. (They should license GPSBabel's 'smartname' code if they can't come up with anything better.)

Throwing away waypoints because you can only support less than a days worth of the current leading edge's worth of finds in a day is bad. In a unit with a quarter gig (or double or quadruple more more) of memory, 200 waypoints at a time is just lame.

JeepCachr, I have both a 60CS and an explorist. I haven't taken my explorist in the woods yet, but I'll tell you that the explorist gets a perfectly lovely lock at my desk when the 60CS pops up a window reporting that it can't cope and can't possibly hope to get a sat lock. So don't be so quick to lust for the greenness on the other side of the fence.

If Magellan/Thales would combine their excellent reception with the feature set that cachers _really_ want (and it's evident that they need to _ask_ us since they're not figuring it out on their own, but they include a sensible user interface and geocaching integrated into navigation) they really could have a winning product.

...if only they'll ask. (Or at least listen.)

Unless you are changing the names of the waypoints, they should increment.  I get POI001, POI002, etc.  Are you saying that your foretrex would let you name a waypoint "Mypoint" and then automatically name the next one "Mypoint1"?

When I'm prompted where to save, all I have to do is to hit the joystick to accept my default folder.  Perhaps you yet need to set up your defaults in menu/preferences/active setup.  One drawback to having the option of multiple files and folders is you have to specify which one; I don't find a single click too much work (if I was saving a bunch of waypoints to a non-default file, I'd probably switch defaults for a while).

Setting a GOTO to a POI in the default file is again not too much navigation, but more work if in a non-default file.  Sorting closest to position or cursor helps narrow the field.  If you have a large number of POIs to sort through alphabetically, this is a weak spot in Magellan.  They're sorted, but you'll have to scroll.  You can reverse scroll for something at the bottom, but you can't search by a letter or two (Garmins are better here, aren't they?)

On my Meridian, I dealt with the search problem by creating new waypoints in files that didn't have many other waypoints.

I do not have defaults set. If it came with a manual it might have helped me if I had read it. Having only had the device for a day now I probably wouldn't have read it yet anyway. :) I'll have to find that link someone posted to the 500 manual and assume its the same.

What I meant by incrementing is my Garmins call the first point 1 the secound point 2 and ect. The explorist calls the point "POI001". When I create another point it calls it "POI001" and now I understand its because I don't have the defaults set. I prefer dropping the POI but thats just a personal preference.

I never liked the list of waypoints on my Vista because it was huge and the way they defaulted to searching it was annoying. I really like the tabbed list that the foretrex has.

So I'll play with setting the defaults and I'll only make one more complaint before I read throught the manual. That complaint is that there is no software for uploading or downloading tracks, routes, and waypoints. The only thing I found on the CD was the map loading software and the geocache manager. I understand there being no third party software that works with it but it is totally unacceptable to me that there is not even the most basic of software to communicate with it.

I understand there being no third party software that works with it but it is totally unacceptable to me that there is not even the most basic of software to communicate with it.

In fairness to Magellan, they - unlike their competition - do pay a great amount of attention to s/w compatibility. S/w that can read or write the Meridian SD format , which has been around for several years, for waypoints, tracks, and routes, can read and write to Explorist/USB just ine.

No, they can't take advantage of the new modes that were just added. But proclaiming that softtware can't communicate with these things is a bit unfair.

(There are many easier targets where they are deserving of stones...)

So after my initial negative posts I am actually enjoying my 500 now that I am getting used it. It performed admirably today in deep redwood forests... never losing a signal the whole day, there is no way my Sportrak could ever pull that off, in fact my sister's eX100 could not lock on for over an hour while my 500 was guiding us along.

It is a nice small compact unit, the color display is very clear and bright. I had more than 50% of battery power left after a 5 hour hike with the unit on full time in lowest backlight mode and full power mode while viewing topos and such.

I used the 60 bucks I saved on a 600 to buy 3D topo on ebay which came in more than handy and has all the street info I could ever need.

And no overshooting the cache by 75 feet anymore either...

Using GSAK it is quite easy to split my query database into 200 piece chunks(so I can use the cool icons) and it was a handy feature when I flew down to LA this week since all I have to do now is switch files to get a different set of caches in a different area.

Guess it was just a matter of getting used to the new interface... of course enhancements can be made but I am happy with my purchase.

I do not have defaults set. If it came with a manual it might have helped me if I had read it. Having only had the device for a day now I probably wouldn't have read it yet anyway. :) I'll have to find that link someone posted to the 500 manual and assume its the same.

What I meant by incrementing is my Garmins call the first point 1 the secound point 2 and ect. The explorist calls the point "POI001". When I create another point it calls it "POI001" and now I understand its because I don't have the defaults set. I prefer dropping the POI but thats just a personal preference.

I never liked the list of waypoints on my Vista because it was huge and the way they defaulted to searching it was annoying. I really like the tabbed list that the foretrex has.

So I'll play with setting the defaults and I'll only make one more complaint before I read throught the manual. That complaint is that there is no software for uploading or downloading tracks, routes, and waypoints. The only thing I found on the CD was the map loading software and the geocache manager. I understand there being no third party software that works with it but it is totally unacceptable to me that there is not even the most basic of software to communicate with it.

I realize you're entitiled to a little venting along with the report/information request, so I can commiserate a bit. As Robert observed, Garmin and Magellan both do some things better than the other, and it's frustrating to always have to be seeing some of those on the other side of the fence we find ourselves on.

You're in luck on the manual; Magellan has it on their site here.

Well after 2 days the only negative thing I have to say with my explorist experience is the fact that I have to zoom in to 700m/0.40mi to see the secondary roads where before with my sportrak map I could see them at 1.4km/0.80mi

I have the detail set to the highest settings and where I use my GPS mostly for mostly atv riding on logging roads I find the 700m/0.40mi resolution a little to close up and find myself having to use the joystick alot to scroll around because I can;t see enough of the map. Anyone know a workaround or is it just a limitation of the firmware?

At 1.4km/0.80mi rez you see the rivers and waterways but no secondary roads

At 700m/0.40mi rez you see all river and waterways and all roads and all loggin roads.

Wonder why my sportrak map could do this and not the higher resulotion explorist.

On my Meridian, it seems like the same .8mi/.4mi cutoffs for secondary road display is in effect. IMO this is about the right place to do it, as in urban areas the secondary roads would put too much information on the screen. Rural areas could probably handle that situation, but I guess you have to have the cutoff somewhere, and personal preferences will leave someone not happy with the decision.

I'm uncertain about being able to change it. It may be possibile through editing the parameters in the mapsend.in file. The file is not meant to be user edited, so making a backup is advised. And just looking at it, there's no place that looks obvious to me. So although I am doubtful it is possible, it still may be worth asking at the Yahoo Magellan Meridian group or Explorist group. More knowledgeable Mapsend types than I check in there.

" ...in fact my sister's eX100 could not lock on for over an hour while my 500 was guiding us along."

That's strange, because I'm nearly 100% certain that the entire eXplorist line uses the same antenna and receiver.

I would almost recommend that...unless your sister has loads of waypoints, or tracks or routes saved...that she performs the Menu>Memory>Clear All function to re-establish things.

First, though, try a comparison in a couple other situations.

The Explorist firmware does not allow for waypoint projection like the Meridian does. You can formulate a rough workaround using the cursor on the map screen, but you have to jockey around rather than input your desired values.

In fairness to Magellan, they - unlike their competition - do pay a great amount of attention to s/w compatibility. S/w that can read or write the Meridian SD format , which has been around for several years, for waypoints, tracks, and routes, can read and write to Explorist/USB just ine.

No, they can't take advantage of the new modes that were just added. But proclaiming that softtware can't communicate with these things is a bit unfair.

(There are many easier targets where they are deserving of stones...)

Yes I stand corrected. I was looking for software to communicate directly with the GPS, AKA Garmin style. Since the Explorists mounts via a drive letter I can access the data that way.

I know many of my frustrations are because I'm used to the Garmin way and need to learn that Magellan way. Not that either way is necessarily better, just different.

So like I said, no more complaints until I've finished the manual... :unsure:

Well maybe one complaint. Whats up with the crazy cable? One way its powered, one way its charging, either direction is annoying to attach.

The Explorist firmware does not allow for waypoint projection like the Meridian does.  You can formulate a rough workaround using the cursor on the map screen, but you have to jockey around rather than input your desired values.

I was almost stuck on this until I realised that I had Cachemate on my PDA and it will do projections.