So Where Are The Explorists 500 And 600??

D0T-C0M

Well my Explorist 500 is on a UPS truck. I hope it's not raining when it gets here. <_<

......IS IT THERE YET?????...... :ph34r:

(sorry....writing this message from the Netherlands,I just saw that it is 4.51 in the AM over there with you guys..... B) ......sleep tight!!!!)

Edited by Raoul

I knew I should have changed my order to a $500, but it was only $30 less and really wanted to see how Magellan did the altimeter (they have had barometers in various devices before but never used it as an altimeter, which I thought was strange).

I hope they start shipping the 600 in the next couple of weeks.

--Marky

I knew I should have changed my order to a $500, but it was only $30 less and really wanted to see how Magellan did the altimeter (they have had barometers in various devices before but never used it as an altimeter, which I thought was strange).

--Marky

It's all good!!!!

Since JohnnyVegas has ordered the 500,we will first read a review on his gps and then,when your 600 arrives,you can pleasure us by slapping your review on the forum..... :(

Now.....let's see the reviews!!!!!

Ditto. I reckon in a month or two I'll be glad I went for the 600 (at least I hope so), but right now I wish a 500 with my name on it was in the pipeline. Oh well, anticipating those reports with, uh, anticipation. Dribs and drabs acceptable. (Do I sound pathetic?:( )

--Marky

I was going the buy the 400, but I did not want to wait. :(

Ordered the 500 yesterday and then learned that the topo and street software I am using in my Meridian are not compatible with the 500/600. Thought about cancelling, but this is my first new GPSr in over 2 years. Will just have to get the newest software, the 3d topo first.

Ordered the 500 yesterday and then learned that the topo and street software I am using in my Meridian are not compatible with the 500/600.

That's very interesting. I wonder if it's a case of "really, really doesn't work" or "we discontinued that before we introduced this and while it may work, it's not an officially supported combination".

This does bring up an interesting point, though, if it's true. The new Magellan titles are licensed for use on ONE receiver and they have a serial number lock to the unit. (This is where the Garmin crowd starts taunting the Magellan users since Mapsource can be unlocked and used on TWO receivers, not one...) So Magellan users that have an investement in Mapsends that are locked to our existing units may have a less appealing upgrade path than is initially apparent.

Regarding roberlipe's comments:

I also saw on the Magellan compatibility chart that the Explorists come with a disk that is needed to install maps/software. (Mapsend conversion Manager)

Explorist map campatibility chart

This brings up another question. Whether the Magellan data files that are created by utility programs are compatible with the Explorists

Huh, hadn't noticed that (must be one reason your find count is higher than mine :( ). It may be that this Mapsend Conversion Manager is something to allow multiple mapfile uploads without overwriting the existing file, or other file management capabilities. The title does imply something more. Robert has observed in the past that Magellan has been good about adhering to their standard. Guess we'll find out soon.

Conversion Manager is new to me, too. Do notice that only the current products are listed there.

In a way, I'm disappointed that this tool is needed. I was hoping they'd take this opportunity to **fix** the various Mapsend mutants and rerelease the core to really support explorist. (Given that they don't really support Meridian very well more than three years after they shipped[1], I don't know why I was suffering from such delusions.)

/me puts on his Chief Babelhead Hat.

Three months ago, I was pretty confident that Thales was serious enough about developer programs that I was going to get access to Explorist units and specs before they were released that I'd have support in GPSBabel before they shipped. Hearing that they're allegedly going to be in customers hands this week, I'd say that widow has closed. :-)

Having a vague "inside scoop" on how the waypoint protocol will work, I do feel pretty good that GPSBabel users won't be up the creek for too long after they reach general availability.

[1] That crap of having to go behind Mapsends back and rename the file on the SD card is just silly. "save as" dialogues are just not that hard...

[1] That crap of having to go behind Mapsends back and rename the file on the SD card is just silly. "save as" dialogues are just not that hard...

Well from what I have observed from behavior it looks like Magellan is a hardware company and software is not as supported within the company. When I worked at Hewlett-Packard in the early '90's they were that way. They would release a killer hardware product, but would not understand what to do with software side of things.

And just to stay somewhat on topic...

Someone PLEASE post a review soon! I really want to hear if I should start saving pennies now!

Ordered the 500 yesterday and then learned that the topo and street software I am using in my Meridian are not compatible with the 500/600.

That's very interesting. I wonder if it's a case of "really, really doesn't work" or "we discontinued that before we introduced this and while it may work, it's not an officially supported combination".

This does bring up an interesting point, though, if it's true. The new Magellan titles are licensed for use on ONE receiver and they have a serial number lock to the unit. (This is where the Garmin crowd starts taunting the Magellan users since Mapsource can be unlocked and used on TWO receivers, not one...) So Magellan users that have an investement in Mapsends that are locked to our existing units may have a less appealing upgrade path than is initially apparent.

I've "re-used" DirectRoute on multiple units with no problem. The map file the software creates is "tagged" with the unit S/N...it cannot be used on a different unit.

Having a vague "inside scoop" on how the waypoint protocol will work, I do feel pretty good that GPSBabel users won't be up the creek for too long after they reach general availability.

Good news, thank you. Sounds like the waypoinit protocol will be different than the Meridians.

Ordered the 500 yesterday and then learned that the topo and street software I am using in my Meridian are not compatible with the 500/600. Thought about cancelling, but this is my first new GPSr in over 2 years. Will just have to get the newest software, the 3d topo first.

I noticed that also. but then when I read about Topo 3D it appears that it is a much better version of the Topo Software

Good news, thank you. Sounds like the waypoinit protocol will be different than the Meridians.

Yes, it will be different. And that makes some amount of sense as on USB, things like comm errors and retries are handled at a layer below you so you don't have to do all the icky ACK/retry stuff associated with data loss and errors that are required on an EIA-232 hose.

The good news is that I have a feeling it'll be a LOT less painful to implement that Garmins.

Well my Explorist 500 is on a UPS truck. I hope it's not raining when it gets here. :ph34r:

I can't wait to hear all about it.

I'm really liking the satellite reception I have been getting with the Explorist 100.

I have been looking to get a color gps with a memory card to replace my Legend.

The 500 maybe what I'm looking for. :ph34r:

Post the tracking number so we can all watch it. :huh:

Just kidding....

I know your just kidding but it did get me thinking. If they did not get it Friday, then we will have to wait till Monday at the earliest.

Dang. I really want to hear about the new Geocaching features. I would love screen shots of the various different screens. Pretty please, with spare battery packs on top? :ph34r:

Wish Magellan would put the manual online, since the unit is shipping that should have been a given. :(

Edited by Dan_Edwards

For those waiting for the 500, I saw one today in the Salt Lake City REI display shelf. The clerk was busy so I didn't wait around to try and play with it, and it didn't have a pricetag displayed yet, but they have them in the stores. They look pretty big compared to my Vista C, but overall small enough that if I was in the market right now I think I'd have to give it a serious look see...... Looking forward to the updates from those of you lucky enough to get to own one.

Hi all,

I do have an Explorist 500 in my hot little hands!! (The GPS Store for $339.00) It is much smaller than I anticipated. I guess I can't visualize size by the written measurements. Anyway, it is still nice - about the size of a computer mouse. I also have a SportTrak Pro (not color) so my requirements for this were color and USB connection.

Now my problem. -- how do I download waypoints into it? My easyGPS does not recognize it. It connects via USB and there is no allowance for that in the choices on EasyGPS. I downloaded the latest version yesterday but still no luck.

It came with a quick start guide but not "real" manual. I went to Magellan web site and no manual for the 500's. I downloaded a 300 manual but not any help.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-- Carol (mysterylady)

According to the tracking numbe mine should be here on the 30th. I have been using GSAK for my downloads into my other magellans, I will using that also for the 500.

I think GSAK is a free download for the first month, you might want to give it a try. I know Clyde reads the forums and I am sure he would like to know of any issues re the 500 and GSAK

Edited by JohnnyVegas
Hi all,

I do have an Explorist 500 in my hot little hands!! (The GPS Store for $339.00)  It is much smaller than I anticipated.  I guess I can't visualize size by the written measurements.  Anyway, it is still nice - about the size of a computer mouse.  I also have a SportTrak Pro (not color) so my requirements for this were color and USB connection.

Now my problem. -- how do I download waypoints into it?  My easyGPS does not recognize it.  It connects via USB and there is no allowance for that in the choices on EasyGPS.  I downloaded the latest version yesterday but still no luck. 

It came with a quick start guide but not "real" manual.  I went to Magellan web site and no manual for the 500's.  I downloaded a 300 manual but not any help.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

-- Carol (mysterylady)

Ah, lucky you! (that's genuine envy) Now you get to see what it's like to be a pioneer (that's mild sarcasm to assuage my envy :blink: ) Seriously, when you're at the leading edge, you don't have the benefit of Those Who Have Gone Before. We will benefit from your experiences, though.

This is a stab in the dark, but up above eScout mentioned a blurb on the Magellan product compatibility page:

The Magellan Conversion Manager software on the Magellan Wizard CD that is included with your eXplorist enables you to interface with the eXplorist and download maps.

I suspect you may need to load and fire up that piece of software to get it to talk to your computer. If they are sending these out and haven't posted a manual yet, I think that's a bit shabby. (My criticism is tempered by the fact that I would take a 600 without a manual now over a 600 with manual months down the road.)

Edit: Size, yes, yow! I saw an x200 in CostCo on display, and it sorta blew my mind, too. I also had read the specs and I even looked at a ruler to firm up my visualization. But perhaps because I've been carrying a Meridian around for several year, the thing seemed tiny.

Edited by embra

From what I understand, none of the current utility software (EasyGPS, GPSBabel, GSAK) will work with the 500/600.

Since they mention Geocaching in some of their descriptions, I am hoping that they will include something that will take a GPX file, and let you load waypoints. If not, there will be a lag until the software is updated.

MysteryLady,

Did you get it to download waypoints?

I have a number of questions about the 500.

Maybe after you play with it a bit you can help answer some of them for me.

The first question you may already know the answer too.

Can you use reg. AA batteries in it?

How do you like the color display? :blink:

From what I understand, none of the current utility software (EasyGPS, GPSBabel, GSAK) will work with the 500/600.

I did not even think of that. :blink:

These things have been shipping for a whole entire complete two days and these slacker software guys haven't released updates to support them? What a RIP! I'd definitely get in the faces of these guys and complain loudly.

Seriously, developer of at least one of those packages has been banging on Magellan's door for prerelease info for over a year now. It's a bummer that the support didn't happen before the units actually shipped, but I'm still confident that it'll happen.

robertlipe, please understand I am not complaining about the software developers. I will be upset with Magellan at this point if they do not include something in their "conversion" software that would alow transfering of old waypoints and routes and tracks. They have to assume that many peoople are moving from their other products. I am hoping that this is the case.

Hi all,

I do have an Explorist 500 in my hot little hands!! (The GPS Store for $339.00) It is much smaller than I anticipated. I guess I can't visualize size by the written measurements. Anyway, it is still nice - about the size of a computer mouse. I also have a SportTrak Pro (not color) so my requirements for this were color and USB connection.

Now my problem. -- how do I download waypoints into it? My easyGPS does not recognize it. It connects via USB and there is no allowance for that in the choices on EasyGPS. I downloaded the latest version yesterday but still no luck.

It came with a quick start guide but not "real" manual. I went to Magellan web site and no manual for the 500's. I downloaded a 300 manual but not any help.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-- Carol (mysterylady)

You might try using a program like GSAK to write a file to a SD card in the Meridians waypoint format. Maybe it supports it?

Escout, I'm sure you weren't complaining. I was attempting to point out in a cute way that it does take a bit of time to roll these things.

(If you haven't pieced this together, I'm the GPSBabel guy and I'm sure that I'll be the one doing the work to add this - and I've been bugging Thales for prerelease gear and specs for months.)

robertlipe:

Yes, I know you are the GPSBabel guy. I appreciate and thank you for your work. Good job on requesting info from Magellan... boo on them for not helping you so far. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Sounds like one of us is going to have to send you a 500 to test if Magellan does not.

Wow, I didn't know there would be so many responses already. Yesterday was Easter and I was busy cooking, eating, etc!! Didn't have time to play with the new toy yet. As I'm at work at the moment, no time to play today either.

Some answers, - no AA batteries, it's an ICON - supposedly long life and rechargable in the unit. There is a slot for an SD card (all very compact, it sits just on top of the battery in the back compartment) - I hope to download tons of maps at one time and not have to keep swapping them. One of my big complaints with the Sporttrak is if I added a map for somewhere I was going to visit - I kept forgetting to put my homebase maps in again at the same time. I had enough space but it only put in what I downloaded that time - bummer - I wanted to just keep adding until I hit "full"! - anyway off topic...

The color is great! I was worried that the screen was so small that in my old age here I might have trouble reading it, but the graphics and text size are all large. Great! By the way, only 4 screens, not the 6 I had before, but customizable so you can put the same data where you need it.

I'll try to post pictures tonight after I get home.

One of the features is "geocaching manager" so there has to be some way to download the waypoints. I haven't played with that part yet (only had it one day!!) -- My son in Florida, Jetskier, (who got me into this crazy sport) is really anxious to get his hot little hands on my new toy to check out all the features. He probably could do it faster than I can but I'll do my best.

-- Carol

You're going to have a lot of grateful fans of whatever information you can share. I would humbly suggest that it might be a good idea to start a new topic along the lines of "they're here and this is what they're like" so we can leave this one of "where the heck are they?" behind.

Is it the situation that you don't yet have an SD card? If you're upgrading from an ST, I can see why that would be the case. I've found that a 128MB SD card is about as much memory as I need for my Meridian, but a 256 keeps me from having to worry about running out of room.

Looking forward to whatever you can learn about the Geocaching Manager...there's been speculation but no hard information on that feature. And we'll try to remember that you may have a life beyond responding to our queries.

You're going to have a lot of grateful fans of whatever information you can share.

Looking forward to whatever you can learn about the Geocaching Manager...there's been speculation but no hard information on that feature. And we'll try to remember that you may have a life beyond responding to our queries.

IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT'S HOLY,

what can be more important than the everlasting and undying gratitude of thousands of GeoCachers all over the world waiting for those little pieces of information and maybe a foto or two about those little pieces of electronica they call "the explorist"???

Eastern?????Eating?????

MY GOD!!!!!!! It's eastern TWO days a year......and you eat THREE times a day!!!!!!

But only once so often there is a device released which could change the way GeoCachers experience their beloved sport FOREVER!!!!!

So.....pretty please.....with whipped cream and a cherry on top.......GIVE US ALL YOU GOT!!!!!

WE WANT HALF!!!!

by the way....have a nice easter and greetings from Raoul (who likes to put a little drama in it!!! :rolleyes:

It came with a quick start guide but not "real" manual.  I went to Magellan web site and no manual for the 500's.  I downloaded a 300 manual but not any help.

I am assuming that "real" manual is in "electronic" form on one of CD's. Could you please share it? It would be greatly appreciated. Last time I was on the phone with Magellan Cust. Serv. Rep. said it could be a month until they put manual online.

Possible way to share - upload it on http://rapidshare.de and post link here.

You can load waypoints from GSAK onto the Mapsend topo 3D or

Direct route software, If you have the software my guess is that you could load the waypoints using Magellans software. I will try that tommorow when my 500 get here.

edit to add: GSAK can be used for 21 days before you have to pay for it.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Yup, unfortunately the 24 page user manual is a bit on the generic side. One enticing reference (p.15, I think) was to POI's that can be downloaded with Magellan's geocaching software. Perhaps this is more than a mere add-on...

Thanks for putting that up, SwissTeam.