So Where Are The Explorists 500 And 600??

D0T-C0M

On GPScity.ca they say the explorist 500 was due mid Feb and the 600 mid march. It still don't seem like they are available yet here in canada, are they out in the US? Any news?

GPS city may have said Feb. for the 500 but last I heard from Magellan was sometime in March. The last time I talked to magellan was last friday.

Then they ship the orders, in the order that the dealers placed them. I have no interest in the 600, but I heard that one would be out in May.

I think longer. The vendors likely posted their projected shipping dates from information provided by Magellan some time in the past. I see a lot of variation in these projected ship times, which are, after all, projections. One gets the sense that the earlier projections were more optimistic than reality is turning out to be (I'm shocked! Shocked! :lol: )

I see the Explorist 600 is available from Offroute.com This is a model I'm interested in.

You better check that out agai, when I talked to Magellan a few days ago they said they are not expecting to ship any 6002 until may

Prairie Dog 76, this is Magellans 800 number if you want to give them a call

800 669-4477

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Hi all,

I'm very new to this as well and have been looking at the various units available since my Dad visited a couple of weeks ago and gave me a demo of his Meridian Gold (I think!).

I got hooked on the idea and fascinated with the device. So anyways I decided to start some research and have been scouring the forums for advice and guidelines. I didn't really want to ask the same question over but the info. I found on this website and messageboards has been great.

I ended up initially ordering the new Explorist 600 from tigergps. Then after speaking with Magellan they told me the 600 was not due to ship until 1st week of May, but the 500 is starting to ship this week in the US. So I checked the specs. closely and the only difference I can see between the 500/600 is about 3 features--barometric pressure/temp, altimeter, and digital compass. I felt I could live without these if it meant getting the unit 2 months earlier!!

Does anyone think that I am giving up a lot by getting the unit without the digital compass?? Like I said this is all very new to me and it was a tough call between these new explorist models and the Garmin 60cs, which I have heard great things about.

Well just wanted to give you all my update and say hello. Really looking forward to getting started. The guy at tigergps said I should have my 500 no later than Apr.6.

Cheers !!

James.

Hi all,

I'm very new to this as well and have been looking at the various units available since my Dad visited a couple of weeks ago and gave me a demo of his Meridian Gold (I think!).

Does anyone think that I am giving up a lot by getting the unit without the digital compass?? Like I said this is all very new to me and it was a tough call between these new explorist models and the Garmin 60cs, which I have heard great things about.

I have a Garmin 76c (without the compass) and this works great for me,other people really love the 60/76cs!!

I think it's just a choice you have to make for yourself.

No compass means more battery-power.

Compass means getting on top of the cache even when you don't have a sattelite fix.

On the other hand:you can buy a good compass in any outdoor-shop for a lot less than it will cost you to upgrade from a unit without to a unit with.

O...and by the way....I have a suunto wristtop with all the functions that didn't come with the 76c,so I'm not complaining!!

Greetings from the Lowlands...

TractorHawk... I would certainly not let any of those 3 features stand between me and the 500, especially the electronic compass. I almost always carry a compass with me in the field anyway and, depending upon the areas you intend to hike, it's a good idea to have a map and compass anyway in case the gps should fail.

Any gps with a compass screen will show you north, as long as you're moving a little.

I have a 600 on order, but you know what? I have a plat and a sportrak color, both that have a digital compass and I ALWAYS have it turned off. So, why should I be waiting 2 extra months for this? No idea. Maybe I should call tigergps and change my order.

--Marky

There was one thing about the Explorist that bothers me. They say the battery can be recharged without having to remove it. Does this mean its a sealed unit? In otherwords if the battery dies I can't take it out and put in another one?

The battery is a custom l-ion battery, much like camcorders use. It is replaceable, but custom, so if you want spares you will PAY! :unsure:

This doesn't bother me at all (but I know it bothers a lot of people). I am never away from power for more than 12 hours when caching.

--Marky

Edited by Marky

Thanks for the replies regarding the 500 Vs 600. I sort of suspected that the 3 features were not that big of a deal, just was not totally sure about the digital compass.

I think that I will be fine with the 500...now if it could just hurry up and get here !!

Will be more than happy to share some experiences with this new unit when it arrives. Just remember in my case it will be getting test driven by a rookie so you'll need to put my comments/opinions in perspective!! Also I won't have anything to compare it with.

Still really looking forward to trying geocaching and testing out the auto-route functions when driving. The turn-by-turn on my Dad's Meridian worked great so I am hoping that it will be at least as good on the 500 as we have some roadtrips planned later this year.

Thanks again everyone.

Seeing the 500 will be out earlier, whenever someone can get a look at one could you tell me if I can run the unit on external power. This is a must first me because I use the backlight alot while its sitting on handlebar holder on my ATV. This unit needs to be able to run on external power via a cigarette lighter jack or I won't/can't buy it.

Could someone please confirm that it has or hasnt got this option.

Seeing the 500 will be out earlier, whenever someone can get a look at one could you tell me if I can run the unit on external power. This is a must first me because I use the backlight alot while its sitting on handlebar holder on my ATV. This unit needs to be able to run on external power via a cigarette lighter jack or I won't/can't buy it.

This site shows a 12V power cable for the 400, 500, and 600

Also Here

Edited by Warriorrider

thanks alot for the info Warriorrider but that 12v cable could be for recharging the battery and not as an external power cord. should be any day now that someone can get a 500 in their hands. I'm holding back from buying the meridian color until I see the explorist.

There was one thing about the Explorist that bothers me. They say the battery can be recharged without having to remove it. Does this mean its a sealed unit? In otherwords if the battery dies I can't take it out and put in another one?

The battery is a custom l-ion battery, much like camcorders use. It is replaceable, but custom, so if you want spares you will PAY! :P

This doesn't bother me at all (but I know it bothers a lot of people). I am never away from power for more than 12 hours when caching.

--Marky

Besides, they also have and optional 12 volt adapter for use in a car, this is what I use with my Meridian Gold when I am driving from cache to cache. I think I end up replacing the batteries in my Meridian once, maybe twice a month.

As far as the Compass, altimeter and barometer, I own more than one compass so I keep one in my bag. May Suunto watch has a Compass, altimeter and a barometer which I do not use very often. When I have checked the altitude on my watch with what my Meridian gold reads they are always very close.

I am leaning towards the explorist 500, that way I can get my new GPS before Markey..... :D neaner neaner neaner :D

Edited by JohnnyVegas

on GPScity.ca they have just updated the site and have the explorist 500 and 600 both due early April.

JohnnyVegas hopefully I will be able to connect the 12v cord externally meaning that you can connect it to the 12v source without compromising the waterproof sealing capabilities of the GPS. I know in your case it probably won't matter but in my case it is a must as I will be connected while using it on my ATV which rains at time. Also when I go canoeing in would be great if I could run it off my 12v marine battery and not risk damaging the unit if it happens to fall in water.

Edited by D0T-C0M
... I have a plat and a sportrak color, both that have a digital compass and I ALWAYS have it turned off.  So, why should I be waiting 2 extra months for this?  No idea.  Maybe I should call tigergps and change my order.

What's the reason you never use the builtin compass? Not accurate? Consumes batteries?

... I have a plat and a sportrak color, both that have a digital compass and I ALWAYS have it turned off.  So, why should I be waiting 2 extra months for this?  No idea.  Maybe I should call tigergps and change my order.

What's the reason you never use the builtin compass? Not accurate? Consumes batteries?

I don't care for how the compass bounces around when the digital compass is active. The extended battery life is just a bonus. All modern Magellans have 'North Finder' technology on the compass screen when the digital compass is off. I find this easy to use, and over all prefer it.

--Marky

I have had a few GPS units with Electronic compass, and the Platinum was the best, and it never bounced around, was very stable. The SporTrak Color is junk in comparison to the Platinum of mine, except that I like the resolution of the SporTrack Color for use with TOPO.

Kinda Wished the Explorist GPS units had the same LCD modules as are in the Garmin 60 series Color and Black n White models, which are at 160x240 Resolution.

I'm with Marky on this one. On both of the Plat's I've had, the compass is just waaay too jittery to be useful, so I leave it off. Try explaining to a nine year old that while the arrow is pointing to 10:00, the COG pointer is at 8:00, so although the arrow is pointing left, you really want to look to the right around 2:00. When COG and BRG both swing around wildly like that, the constant mental adjustment is too much for me and I'm not nine.

On paper, the 3 axis compass in the plat _should_ be a clear winner over the compass in my 60CS. Yeah, the "hold level" thing is a bit of a drag, but I find the compass in the 60CS works _much_ better than the one in the Plat. Additionally, it has selectable triggers so it turns off when you are in the car moving N miles an hour and turns back on when you're below N for > T seconds.

I'm seeing a few websites flip the "Preorder now" tag to "In Stock" for the 500 - has anyone actually held a 500 in their hot little hands yet?

And is there any difference from Canada to US? I'm seeing more Canadian sites showing in stock, but I'm not sure if there are any product differences.

For example, currently in stock here: GPS Central

500's are definitely in stock in Canada - I checked and they arrived last Friday. Considering getting one but still waiting for some answers on compatability with my existing Mapsend software since neither version (Topo USA 4.20D and Topo Canada 1.00e) is listed on the Magellan website map compatability chart. Only answer I've got so far is probably but I would like to know definitely :(

I'm seeing a few websites flip the "Preorder now" tag to "In Stock" for the 500 - has anyone actually held a 500 in their hot little hands yet?

And is there any difference from Canada to US? I'm seeing more Canadian sites showing in stock, but I'm not sure if there are any product differences.

For example, currently in stock here: GPS Central

The products should be the same in Canada, but I did not seeing Canadian listed as one of the Languages ay :)

They ship in the order that the orders are placed, first to order, first to recieve.

Can you run the unit on external power. This is a must first me because I use the backlight alot while its sitting on handlebar holder on my ATV.

For me this unit needs to be able to run on external power via a cigarette lighter jack and not compromise the waterproof seal or I can't buy it.

If it's true the 500 is out now please can someone confirm that the 500 is able to run on external power via a cigarette lighter jack without compromising the waterproof seal.

Edited by D0T-C0M
If it's true the 500 is out now please can someone confirm that the 500 is able to run on external power via a cigarette lighter jack without compromising the waterproof seal.

The Explorist 400-500-600 use Magellan-specific proprietary battery design so, it HAS to be able to be plugged into external power in order to get charged..

Whether or not the unit is still waterproof while being plugged in is not known though.. but I don't recall seeing any (handheld) unit currently on the market that is(?)

The Explorist 400-500-600 use Magellan-specific proprietary battery design so, it HAS to be able to be plugged into external power in order to get charged..

Whether or not the unit is still waterproof while being plugged in is not known though.. but I don't recall seeing any (handheld) unit currently on the market that is(?)

Well, I don't know about other Magellan products but the Sportrak is waterproof while plugged into external power.

Well, I don't know about other Magellan products but the Sportrak is waterproof while plugged into external power.

Same with the Meridian's which use the same powercord as the sportraks.

--Marky

Edited by Marky

I already know that the meridian and sportrak are waterproof when connected to an external power source because I have a sportrak map and I've seen the meridian. I am inquiring about the new explorist 500 model.

BTW for those who haven't read the whole post the reason I need it to be waterproof while running on external power is because I use my GPS on my ATV and it has to be able to run on external power without letting water to get in.

Edited by D0T-C0M

They may also offer a drop in charger, The battery can be taken out and they are going to be selling extra batteries, I guess we will have to wait and see. Uness someone wants to call Magellan, 800 669-4477

Edited by JohnnyVegas
Thanks for the number JohnnyVegas, I just got off the phone and the sales person just confirmed to me that by plugging the power cord adapter will not compromise the waterproof seal of the unit. yeepeee

Thanks for looking into it, I keep forgeting to ask them when I call

Just oredered 500 from tiger GPS, $329.79 with shipping.

Maybe I will get FTG in my area.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

As for being being waterproof while connected to power, I would think all are. If you look at the connectors that attach, they are presssed up against the terminals on the back of the unit. The terminals are also diode protected since they do not need to send power out of the unit.

As for the battery being charged in the unit, welcome to 1990s technology. Think about your PDA and cell phone. You would hate life if you had to remove the batteries and charge them and put them back in like we do with NiMH AAs now. I appreciate the way my Li Ion batteries work in my PDA and cell phone.

As explained in earlier posts, with the USB cable, you will be able to charge the unit with your computer's USB port, a cig lighter adapter, a wall wart and a small box that holds 4 AAs. The later will be used when you are in the field and can't access the others. I currently have a cig lighter adapter and wall wart that have USB ports and provide the proper voltage for items like my PDA. I got them for 99 cent each.

Tigergps.com just replied to an email about my pre-ordered eXplorist 600:

We are now expecting the Explorist 600's to be coming in the beginning of April.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,

Erica

Customer Service

TigerGPS.com, Ltd.

info@tigergps.com

1-866-79-TIGER

Considering getting one but still waiting for some answers on compatability with my existing Mapsend software since neither version (Topo USA 4.20D and Topo Canada 1.00e) is listed on the Magellan website map compatability chart.  Only answer I've got so far is probably but I would like to know definitely  :tired:

Well the answer from Magellan isn't encouraging:

"It may or may not work with e... It will not work with Topo USA, but will work with Topo 3D."

Wonder what may or may not really means???

Just got off the phone with Magellan Customer Service. They gave me screen size (in pixels) for eXplorist 500. It's 176 x 220, much better than 100/200/300 (120 x 160).

If you calculate actual resolution, it would be (1.4" x 1.8") ~123 dpi (dots per inch). For comparison, Garmin GPSMAP 60C/60CS has 160 x 240 (1.5" x 2.2") which gives us resolution ~107 dpi, Garmin eTrex Legend C/ Vista C has 176 x 220 (1.3" x 1.7") - ~131 dpi.

Its' fair to compare screen of eXplorist 500 with screen of Garmin eTrex Legend C - they are very close the same (Yes, I know about 16 colors vs 256 colors :anibad:). Actual size of units is also close.

Customer Service Rep. didn't know when manual will be available for download.

JohnnyVegas, would it be possible to share electronic version of the manual (if they include one) when you receive your eXplorist 500?