In Front Oh House

Cal78

Have Cousin Who Wants to Place A Cache next to the sidewalk in front of his house, it would be camoed and in a wodden box, and at the end of a five stage multi, He thinks this is a good idea because all of his neighabor are ok with it and he says it would be best because its easier to keep Care of and will have better swag then Normal. What do you think.

We have a guy here that had a micro in front of his house.. and had to archive it eventually due to (assuming) heavy muggle activity. (Urban Chaos 1 of 3).

I agree with Snat.. Bad idea. That would be a good idea if you wanted to let people know where you live if you are having a party though... But should be short lived in that case and would not be approved because of the short term placement. In the party invitation case though, I would just give the date of the party and the coords in the forums etc.

On occasion, it is fun to do a cache where you know you're being watched. Like caches in community parks that only people from that particular community would know about, so you think they might be watching.

The question I guess is what kind of land this house is on? If there's a bit of distance between the house and the cache place, I'd feel a bit better about it.

You also have to realize how a good cache is one that takes you to somewhere cool. Try to think what would be cool about hanging out in someones front yard, looking like a goof?

Not that this is a bad idea. I think it just needs some certain specific characterisitcs of the location for it to work, so could you just describe the general location?

Until very recently, I had a cache in my yard. That was not my original intention, but the original cache was stolen. Since it was a LARGE book cache, I turned it into a two-part multi and placed the big cache where I could take care of it. This worked well for more than a year until it was STOLEN right out of the yard two weeks ago (most likely by the teenaged boys who work across the street and park next to my house).

I made it very clear on the cache page that the final was located in my yard, and that cachers were welcome on the property. My yard isn't anything special, but it is on the water with a nice view - and I thought the cache was pretty nice, filled with nice books for everyone as well as a letterbox and good trades. It received a lot of positive feedback.

Funny, but in all the time the cache was there, I only "caught" 3 or 4 people checking in. Heh, most of the time I would return home from CACHING to find that I had missed people!

I haven't decide if I will replace the cache. I'm bummed that some little jerk took it, as it was of no value to anyone but cachers. I'd be less bothered by the theft if it was filled with something someone needed - money, food, clothes - but I highly doubt the kids who swiped it opened it up and said, "Books!!!! I MUST have this!!" :)

Like anything else, some will get a kick out of your cache, some won't.

I've only found one cache in someones yard. The cache page says to knock on the door if there is a car in the driveway. It happens that this guy also has a mystery cache hidden nearby that requires a treasure map to find. The maps are supposed to be hidden in caches around the area, but we hadn't yet come across one. So we decided to find the cache at his house.

We found it and knocked on the door and had a fun chat with the owner, who gave us a treasure map to go find his mystery.

I thought it was pretty cool. Kinda like an event cache. I never felt uncomfortable.

Jamie

I've found one that was in a geocachers yard. I happened to know the geocacher very well and it stated plainly on the cache page where the cache was located. They live in a suburban area, so it's not like there's a lot of traffic. I was totally comfortable with the experience and my friend and his wife saw me and came out and we had a nice chat.

I know of 2 caches (well, one might be archived now) in North MS where it's stated on the cache page. JamieZ mentioned the one that I know is still active. I also know that geocacher and it's CLEARLY stated on the page that it's in the geocachers yard.

I also know of a few caches that are outside the offices of geocachers. Both state it on the page, so you KNOW you may be watched while you're searching. I found one like that, but the cacher drove up after I found the cache.

I HAVE heard of several caches that were hidden in somebody's yard or on their property with NO mention of it on the cache page and in all cases the cache hunters I've spoken to were very uncomfortable. Many didn't look (yea, probably all shouldn't have looked, but sometimes when you've put the gas money in, you take the risk).

I personally think it's ok if you clearly state it on the cache page.

southdeltan

I've found one that was in a geocachers yard.  I happened to know the geocacher very well and it stated plainly on the cache page where the cache was located.  They live in a suburban area, so it's not like there's a lot of traffic.  I was totally comfortable with the experience and my friend and his wife saw me and came out and we had a nice chat.

I know of 2 caches (well, one might be archived now) in North MS where it's stated on the cache page.  JamieZ mentioned the one that I know is still active.  I also know that geocacher and it's CLEARLY stated on the page that it's in the geocachers yard.

I also know of a few caches that are outside the offices of geocachers.  Both state it on the page, so you KNOW you may be watched while you're searching.  I found one like that, but the cacher drove up after I found the cache.

I HAVE heard of several caches that were hidden in somebody's yard or on their property with NO mention of it on the cache page and in all cases the cache hunters I've spoken to were very uncomfortable.  Many didn't look (yea, probably all shouldn't have looked, but sometimes when you've put the gas money in, you take the risk).

I personally think it's ok if you  clearly state it on the cache page.

southdeltan

I agree. Only geocachers that I know personally should have hides in their yards approved. Further, they should be required to be home when I seek their cache and afterwards they should invite me in for a drink and some snacks. We would have a really swell time. In this case they don't even need to make any special notation on the www page of the cache. Makes things nice and simple doesn't it? Well on second thought they might want to make note of anytime that they will not be available for tea and crumpets. This will help avoid negative thoughts by the odd disappointed cache seeker................. or two.

Edited by Team cotati697
I've found one that was in a geocachers yard.  I happened to know the geocacher very well and it stated plainly on the cache page where the cache was located.  They live in a suburban area, so it's not like there's a lot of traffic.  I was totally comfortable with the experience and my friend and his wife saw me and came out and we had a nice chat.

I know of 2 caches (well, one might be archived now) in North MS where it's stated on the cache page.  JamieZ mentioned the one that I know is still active.  I also know that geocacher and it's CLEARLY stated on the page that it's in the geocachers yard.

I also know of a few caches that are outside the offices of geocachers.  Both state it on the page, so you KNOW you may be watched while you're searching.  I found one like that, but the cacher drove up after I found the cache.

I HAVE heard of several caches that were hidden in somebody's yard or on their property with NO mention of it on the cache page and in all cases the cache hunters I've spoken to were very uncomfortable.  Many didn't look (yea, probably all shouldn't have looked, but sometimes when you've put the gas money in, you take the risk).

I personally think it's ok if you  clearly state it on the cache page.

southdeltan

I agree. Only geocachers that I know personally should have hides in their yards approved. Further, they should be required to be home when I seek their cache and afterwards they should invite me in for a drink and some snacks. We would have a really swell time. In this case they don't even need to make any special notation on the www page of the cache. Makes things nice and simple doesn't it? Well on second thought they might want to make note of anytime that they will not be available for tea and crumpets. This will help avoid negative thoughts by the odd disappointed cache seeker................. or two.

Huh?

I don't quite understand that response to my post.

I found the cache in the yard of somebody I knew, so what? It's clearly stated on the page and all of the people that didn't know the cacher wrote good logs.

On caches where they were in yards with no mention of that, some people felt uncomfortable - they got there and didn't know the cache was in somebody's yard. I can understand them being upset.

southdeltan

Have Cousin Who Wants to Place A Cache next to the sidewalk in front of his house, it would be camoed and in a wodden box, and at the end of a five stage multi, He thinks this is a good idea because all of his neighabor are ok with it and he says it would be best because its easier to keep Care of and will have better swag then Normal. What do you think.

I see no problem with the idea, I have found caches the cachers have place in their own front yard. I do not know why your cousin would care about what the neighabors thought. It is your cousins house, he pays for the house, he pays all the bills that go with owning a house, as far as I know there is no law that says a person cannot place a cache on his/her own property. If I had a good place to put a cache in my front yard I would not give it a second thought.

My point of view is that the hide should be intended to provide enjoyment for the finder--that is the primary requirement. If you happen to live in an unusual place that folks will enjoy visiting--and if the hide does not cause problems for anyone--then go ahead. Most residences will not meet these requirements, I think.

There are exceptions, of course. I have visited Cool Librarian's Read Box a couple of times, and enjoyed it (except for the poison ivy). That cache is unusual, however, in both setting and purpose. It probably required more maintenance than most, and it bordered on a commercial environment.

I am planning to do one in my yard eventually, as soon as I come up with an interesting idea for it. I have an evil micro outside a cemetary a block away and several traditionals within a half-mile that get visited pretty often, and would love to meet these cachers.

I found Media Cache in Atlanta, a RubberMaid tub in someone's yard filled with books, VHS tapes, CDs, DVDs and such. They arrived home while I was looking for the cache and came out to meet us. Nice folk.

I found two caches in Nashville, don't remember the names, one in AbbysGrammy & NashvilleJoe's front yard - they came out when we arrived, we talked and became fast friends - we have cached together several times since and talk online most every day.

The other was at the home of EssPea, owner of the 101 Dalmation series. She knew we were coming during a hot summer cache run and had a cooler of bottled water waiting on her porch! Again, I got to know her and we've enjoyed being together at several subsequent events.

Geocaching, for me, is all about the people. I found my first 150+ caches alone, until I built a circle of geocaching friends, and now have little if any interest in going caching by myself - in fact the cache itself is no longer the point - it's the experiences I have with others that make this such a wonderful game.

I love to meet cachers and see a cache at my home as a great and fun way to do this.

As far as security, my name and address have been all over the internet since 1980 and in phone books for 35 years - for better or worse anyone that wants me knows where I am! I have been many places in this world where folks live scared; fear, bars and alarms keeping them locked in their own home - I could never do that.

I have one on the edge of my property. The trees and shrubs shield everoyone who looks for it from direct view of my house and the other sides are open to a park. I have no problem with hunting for them in someones yard and in fact I take it as a challenge, sort of like a "dare to find this one" type of challenge. I figure if I get caught or asked what I am doing and if no one believes me we can knock on the door and ask the owner.

I have done a three caches in front yeard. Two were in bushes the third very cleverly done. But you firend needs to realize that poeple may and will be walking all over his year, i.e. flower guarden next to the house undoing the sewer drain out etc.... so he needs to expect this and not complain. I am thing of doing the same but I'll put it where it eill not matter if folks walk.

cheers

Not against the guidelines, but why do it? Is your cousin's front yard so astounding that I wouldn't see it looking like everyone else's front yard? I'd probably skip it.

Your cousin should also be aware that GPS unit aren't all THAT accurate, and that there may be cachers wandering in the neighbor's yard depending on the size of the lot. Also, I know several cachers that cache after midnight because they work odd hours.

Yea, I want people in my yard then...

I, too, have placed a cache in front of my house and also one in front of my grandsons house. Mine is our first hide and lists it as an easy cache for learners. My grandson's is within view of his bedroom window and is a good way to involve him in caching, since he doesn't have a GPS yet. The neighbors are aware of this and don't have any problems with it. Both are accessible without stepping onto our properties. Both sites are clearly described as being on private property with little left to the imagination as to what the area is like. We have a lot of feedback from people who really enjoyed that and have met several really nice cachers. :( We have also had several feedbacks left by really rude people who basically called me an idiot for putting a cache on private property. :( I have removed those entries from my site.

I think it shows a general lack of intelligence to go to a cache that clearly is going to annoy you. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as the listing describes the site fairly clearly.

One of my first finds was in a cacher's front yard. As a matter of fact, their kids got a big kick out of giving me "hot and cold" directions to aid in my search. While this is not the kind of cache I seek out now that I have a few under my belt, I enjoyed it at the time. I think that a few of these is a good way to get beginning cachers interested and involved. As long as the fact that it's in someone's yard is mentioned in the cache description, I don't see a thing in the world wrong with it.

I have long considered one in front of my house but I don't think it is such a good idea in that I live across the street from the local High School. No matter how I explained it on the web page - it just wouldn't be right --- oh well...... :(

Now that's funny. What would they do if you ordered a pallet of Ammo CAns and had them delivered to your driveway to distribute to local cachers?

I think you could build a good case for getting your cache approve. "yes it's by the high school, but it's in my yard and the highschool doesn't yet make a habit of inspecting my house daily for suspiciouse objects."

But I'm not an approver so YMMV.

If the multi sent you to interesting locations to gather information, and the final coordinates were easy to locate (since it seems the final is more of a prize giveaway than a true "neat location"), it could be an interesting cache, IMO. Just be careful to respect your neighbors by informing them about your game so they don't freak out over the new visitors.

I thought about doing a multi or puzzle cache where the first stage would be in the front yard. The stage would just be numbers or a set of coordinates written on a lawn ornament or tacked to a telephone pole. These could even be visible from the street so cachers wouldn't have to get out of the car. I live on a dead end road so cars turning around at the end wouldn't look very suspicious either.

I thought about doing a multi or puzzle cache where the first stage would be in the front yard. The stage would just be numbers or a set of coordinates written on a lawn ornament or tacked to a telephone pole. These could even be visible from the street so cachers wouldn't have to get out of the car. I live on a dead end road so cars turning around at the end wouldn't look very suspicious either.

I wouldn't do that cache. As others have posted, I just don't want to do anymore caches in residential neighborhoods. Too many chances to be seen by people who think that I am a prowler.

Stick to areas that are away from your house, find cool areas that you like and want others to see and share with you.

I've only found one cache in someones yard. The cache page says to knock on the door if there is a car in the driveway. It happens that this guy also has a mystery cache hidden nearby that requires a treasure map to find. The maps are supposed to be hidden in caches around the area, but we hadn't yet come across one. So we decided to find the cache at his house.

We found it and knocked on the door and had a fun chat with the owner, who gave us a treasure map to go find his mystery.

I thought it was pretty cool. Kinda like an event cache. I never felt uncomfortable.

Jamie

I also have a cache that is hidden practically in my back yard. Its fun to go out and talk to the cachers who find it :( . I never thought it would make them feel uncomfortable though. :( maybe I should just watch from a distance. :(

I wouldn't do that cache. As others have posted, I just don't want to do anymore caches in residential neighborhoods. Too many chances to be seen by people who think that I am a prowler.

Stick to areas that are away from your house, find cool areas that you like and want others to see and share with you.

Streets that are paid for with public funds are public property, and being such you have every right to use or be on a public street unless you are engaged in and illegal activity. As far as being seen, you can be seen looking for caches just about any place you go. That is part of the challenge of some caches. I was looking for a cache once and about 30 cops doing some Bicycle patrol training should up on Mt. Bikes. They just asked if I found what I was looking for and left.

I would be more likely to do this cache because it would limit the amount of time that I'd be loitering in the area.

Question to you guys:

How would you feel about just pulling up to a house in a small suburban neighborhood, sitting there, tuning your radio to a specific AM station, sitting for a short time to get coordinates, and then driving off?

It's an idea I'm toying with. I'm definately going to use the radio transmitter, it's just a matter of placement...

I found Media Cache in Atlanta, a RubberMaid tub in someone's yard filled with books, VHS tapes, CDs, DVDs and such. They arrived home while I was looking for the cache and came out to meet us. Nice folk.

I found two caches in Nashville, don't remember the names, one in AbbysGrammy & NashvilleJoe's front yard - they came out when we arrived, we talked and became fast friends - we have cached together several times since and talk online most every day.

The other was at the home of EssPea, owner of the 101 Dalmation series. She knew we were coming during a hot summer cache run and had a cooler of bottled water waiting on her porch! Again, I got to know her and we've enjoyed being together at several subsequent events.

I was just about to talk about them! lol.

Actually, probably half the cachers around here have one in their front yard. NashvilleJoe/AbbysGrammy/Bulli have a new one in their yard from the one we found at woodstock. BubbaJar had one for quite a while that looked like dog poo, so do MonkeyBrad/Scoot. I have one at my dad's house in Ohio (first cache I hid before I moved to TN) and at the gate to my apartment complex. In fact, my mother's looking to buy a house, and every time we check a house out, I look to see where I could hide a cache in the front yard. Knowing me, I'll probably have the cache hidden before I move in.

Personally, I don't think I've ever met a cacher that I've never liked (there have been some that I haven't liked for a while, but I don't not like them now), and I'd rather have them around my house than some of the people I've had as neighbors. Besides, the local cachers know where I live anyway, and any cacher that would come from out of town isn't going to be around to stalk me later.

The chances that cache owner and hider are both going to be around is about zero anyway. The first finders of my cache at dad's were caught by dad's g/f who took their picture through the window but never spoke to them, and then later my dad was grilling on the front porch when a family of three came to get the cache. Other than that, we've never been home/around when cachers have been in the area. -- And that's was my most found cache at the end of last year.

Question to you guys:

How would you feel about just pulling up to a house in a small suburban neighborhood, sitting there, tuning your radio to a specific AM station, sitting for a short time to get coordinates, and then driving off?

It's an idea I'm toying with. I'm definately going to use the radio transmitter, it's just a matter of placement...

There are some folks in town that are thinking of using their APRS beacons to broadcast the coordinates to the second stage of a cache. The first stage would be the coords to a location where at the specified time, you could get the coords.

If the multi sent you to interesting locations to gather information, and the final coordinates were easy to locate (since it seems the final is more of a prize giveaway than a true "neat location"), it could be an interesting cache, IMO. Just be careful to respect your neighbors by informing them about your game so they don't freak out over the new visitors.

And because any visitor with a wonky GPS could end up in their front yard.

(Back to that cache at dad's house. It's about four feet from the property line, but the neighbor next to it knows.)

BTW - said cache is across the street from a car dealership. Just about every cacher who has found the cache during business hours has reported that one of the salesmen have either been watching them - or have actually walked over to see what was up. lol!

Trust me. My cache has the best stories in the county. lol!

GCJJAK

This was a cache that I did that clearly states where it is , have a read . I thought it was a little unusual but I was new at the time . Thinking about it now it was just an ok cache the getting to was the only unusual part , through the center of town down a side road to the corner of a rock wall into the bushes . Did it during a concert on the commons so it was a little nerve racking that someone would see me so that what made it a challenge . I don't know if I would do another , I guess I would investigate before I would try .

Edited by c88m

At the risk of sounding like one of the "cache snobs" I complain about, it doesn't sound very interesting. That could just be because I am the sort of person who doesn't like caching on or near private property, even if the owner is OK with it.

I have thought of hiding a cache near my house because we have some great wilderness around us, but quite frankly I don't want the additional traffic, both vehicular and pedestraian that it would cause. I don't think the other people in town would like it either.

:ninja: