Sax Man's Northwest Tour

Team GPSaxophone

The kids will be out of school, and rather than send them to summer camp, we're trying to cache in all 50 states. This summer's trip has us visiting the Northwesten United States, including a stop in Portland, Oregon to visit our cousins. Since we're going to be close, we might as well visit Vancouver, BC, so we can say we've cached in another country :)

Here's our itinerary, subject to change. If you'd like to arrange an event or go caching with us when we pass through your area, let us know. We'll try to accommodate any requests.

Fri. June 17: Leave Colorado Springs and drive to Grand Junction, CO

Sat. June 18: Drive to Las Vegas, NV

Sun. June 19: Family reunion in Upland, CA

Mon. June 20: More family stuff in the morning, then drive to San Jose, CA (dinner event?)

Tues. June 21: Caching in the Bay Area, then drive to Redding, CA

Wed. June 22: Drive to Portland, OR and visit our cousins

Thurs. June 23: Drive to Vancouver, BC. Event(?) to meet the local cachers

Fri. June 24: Caching in Vancouver, then return to Seattle and try and break into Groundspeak HQ :D

Sat. June 25: Caching in the Seattle area

Sun. June 26: Visit Ambrosia(?) in Wenatchee, WA

Mon. June 27: Drive to Missoula, MT and meet up with Jennifer&Dean

Tues. June 28: Caching in Missoula, then driving to Yellowstone National Park

Wed. June 29: Visit Yellowstone, then drive to Casper, WY

Thurs. June 30: Drive back home to Colorado Springs, CO

Fri. July 1 through Mon. July 4: Sax Man's Campout in Woodland Park, CO

Summer05map.jpg

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

Leg 9-10 looks like you are traveling I-90, which will take you south of Wenetchee. You probably should go over Hwy-2 which will take you right through Wenetchee and you can then drop down south (Hwy-97?) to hook up with I-90 to get to Spokane.

Very agressive schedule. Have fun!

If you are game, we'll meet you and your family on Thurs. June 23 or Fri. June 24 to get in some nuding at Wreck Beach GCGKA7. If you are camping on the trip, I can put you up and feed you at LARC on your way through Mount Vernon, midway between Vancouver BC and Seattle.

The same offer goes to any other cacher, just contact me.

We'll see if you are all talk! :):D:D:D :D

Nudecacher

Leg 9-10 looks like you are traveling I-90, which will take you south of Wenetchee. You probably should go over Hwy-2 which will take you right through Wenetchee and you can then drop down south (Hwy-97?) to hook up with I-90 to get to Spokane.

Very agressive schedule. Have fun!

We're looking into that. If we change our route to actually visit Wenatchee, we'll have to spend the night in Coeur d'Alene and then skip going through Yellowstone

If you are game, we'll meet you and your family on Thurs. June 23 or Fri. June 24 to get in some nuding at Wreck Beach GCGKA7. If you are camping on the trip, I can put you up and feed you at LARC on your way through Mount Vernon, midway between Vancouver BC and Seattle.

The same offer goes to any other cacher, just contact me.

We'll see if you are all talk! :):D:D:D :D

Nudecacher

The wife likely wouldn't go, but I'd love to! We'll have enough time when we're in Vancouver (probably Friday).

We already have camping arrangements near Seattle.

Detective Elizabeth would be willing to do a caching day with your wife (and/or kids) in a separate vehicle while we do the beach. She's been anxious to work on 'Battleships in White Rock' by Pharmadude GCE19D for quite a while now. Make sure that you check what is needed for border crossing. I think they require a passport or birth certificate to get back into the U.S.

Nudecacher

Detective Elizabeth would be willing to do a caching day with your wife (and/or kids) in a separate vehicle while we do the beach. She's been anxious to work on 'Battleships in White Rock' by Pharmadude GCE19D for quite a while now. Make sure that you check what is needed for border crossing. I think they require a passport or birth certificate to get back into the U.S.

Nudecacher

That sounds like a good plan.

and I'll check into the customs thing

Detective Elizabeth would be willing to do a caching day with your wife (and/or kids) in a separate vehicle while we do the beach.  She's been anxious to work on 'Battleships in White Rock' by Pharmadude GCE19D for quite a while now.  Make sure that you check what is needed for border crossing.  I think they require a passport or birth certificate to get back into the U.S.

Nudecacher

That sounds like a good plan.

and I'll check into the customs thing

It would be great if you could make it up north of the border! I'm sure we could roll out the red carpet for you :D

This info assumes that everyone is a US citizen: When you cross the border, each person in your car must have a passport or a birth certificate and government issued photo ID (like a driver's licence). This includes children. If you are travelling with kids that are not your own, or if only one parent is with them, a notarized letter from the absent parent authorizing their kid to be taken out of the country will be required.

Don't want to make it sound too scary, but better to be prepared than be turned back because of ID problems. Any questions, just let me know. I'm a pro at crossing the border :)

Look forward to having you up here north of 49!

Half-Canadian and crew

If you are up in Missoula you should spend an extra day (if you have it) and drive up to Glacier National Park.  Going to the Sun Road is world famous.  I live in Alaska and am STILL impressed with it.

Dang you're going to be traveling fast and furiously!!!

Yes, you're missing a beautiful part of Mt by missing Glacier & the Flathead Valley!! It rivals w/yellowstone/Tetons for beauty and charm.... would be easy to loop by and enjoy.

From Spokane, I-90 past Coeur D'Alene to St Regis, North to Kalispell, goes thru the rolling hills of the Hot Springs area, comes out on west side of Flathead Lake, then kal; Glacier Park is at the NE end of the Flathead Valley, just NE above Kal. Then after cruise thru Glacier, go back south along East-side Flathead Lake (Bigfork is on the EN side, cute artsy lake town, W perhaps quicker if time an issue) thru Polson at the south end, to Missoula. Missoula is about 2 hrs South of Kalispell. Take about 4 hrs from cda to kal??

check out Gold Rush Pawn in Kal - great pawn/new/gifts shop - lots of great goods, even occass GPSs! CDs, DVDs..... great jewelry toooooo :lol:

of course my fav way to get there is N at coeur d'alene to sandpoint, hwy 200E to Bull River, N(hwy37?) to hwy 2, E to libby to Kal!!! takes about 1/2 hr longer. Driving thru rural NW mts for sure - very undeveloped, scenic (quick roads) !!! There's a cache at swede mtn lookout outside libby (a friend is the ranger there, probly not open yet)- but you won't have time. Can actually take hwy 2 from spokane to kalispell (goes thru libby again) but windier roads.....

The speedlimits are quick in Mt, but in the dusk/dark - any infraction will be expensive - also careful when speeding on reservations in any state!!! and boy - some of those Mt caches look tough!!!

HAVE FUN, DRIVE SAFELY!!! OH - you'll love Portland area - lots of fun caches, and beautiful besides!!!

:o

Edited by silverwolfe

If you adjusted your tour just a mite and cached Seattle before going to BC., you could come to Wenatchee via the beautiful North Cascade Hwy for fantastic scenery. Then from Wenatchee it is but a hop, skip and jump to Coeur d'Alene and on your way to Glacier and/or Yellowstone. We will be happy to have an event for you in Wenatchee. ~ Patudles (Ambrosia's m-in-law :lol: )

Looking at your schedule I would double the time. You are leaving very little time to cache and drive unless you plan on caching all day and driving all night. There are just too many great areas to cache and run in the PNW. I've been thinking of doing a cache across America trip like that myself. Sounds like a wonderful trip and if you decide to go over US 2 near Monroe WA you're welcome to stop by my place for an overnite.

If you adjusted your tour just a mite and cached Seattle before going to BC., you could come to Wenatchee via the beautiful North Cascade Hwy for fantastic scenery. Then from Wenatchee it is but a hop, skip and jump to Coeur d'Alene and on your way to Glacier and/or Yellowstone.  We will be happy to have an event for you in Wenatchee.  ~ Patudles (Ambrosia's m-in-law :( )

Ok, we've adjusted the route to take Highway 2 on the way to Wenatchee. (Not the North Cascade Highway, I guess that's further north)

Sorry, we can't add more time to this trip. We have family obligations near the beginning of the trip, and our campout in Colorado is scheduled for as soon as we return. I'd love to cache more in these areas, but we'll have to save that for another time.

We are looking into visiting Alaska in 2007, which would include parts of Montana and Canada on the way there and back. For now though, we are only going to hit I-70, I-15, I-5, I-90, and I-25 with a few exceptions.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

Last summer when we went through a border crossing into Canada, they wanted birth certificates. When we came back through another border crossing all the agent wanted to do was to talk about when he was in Bremerton. Not a busy crossing and he was lonely. Good luck and remember you can't find them all. Dick, W7WT

With respect to the border crossing, do not, repeat do not try to cross the border on I-5. If you are need to get to Vancouver take the truck crossing exit just before the border and cross there. You will miss seeing the Peace Arch, but will also miss tons of traffic. After crossing the border continue north on that road until you get to Trans Canada 1 and follow that into Vancouver. You will likely save hours that way depending on the time and day.

Last summer when we went through a border crossing into Canada, they wanted birth certificates. When we came back through another border crossing all the agent wanted to do was to talk about when he was in Bremerton. Not a busy crossing and he was lonely. Good luck and remember you can't find them all. Dick, W7WT

When I crossed into Canada from Michigan 10 years ago they didn't ask for anything. Maybe my license. I don't normally carry my birth certificate with me. had no problems arriving at Niagara Falls either. On the way back though, the border agent asked where I was headed. This was at Niagara Falls, mind you, so she about flipped when I said "San Diego". :ninja:

The only problem with ten years ago is that September 11 happened after that. The border crossing is much tighter now. If you don't have proof of citizenship you may not get back into the country. You might also have trouble getting into Canada as well.

I'll just renew my passport. Lots easier that way.

Here's what we're bringing with us:

IMAG0003a.jpg

The only problem with ten years ago is that September 11 happened after that. The border crossing is much tighter now. If you don't have proof of citizenship you may not get back into the country. You might also have trouble getting into Canada as well.

Last September, I crossed the border for the first time since moving up here 2 years ago. About an hour out, I realized I had forgotten my passport, and worried about getting in/out of Canada. Turns out, I had no trouble either way, but you can never tell. I won't forget it next time, just to be safe. I didn't cross either way at I-5, though, took the alternate entrances, which may have helped.

Hey, sax. We go to canada about once a year. Everything depends on where you cross and who is on duty that day. But it is very essential that your children have birth certificates. You might be fine, but on the other hand you could extremely mess yourself up if you get the wrong person handling you. Not something that you want to find out too late. We've had some very strict border people in the past, and some very easy ones. It all depends. Birth certificates should only cost around 12 dollars to get, if you can't find the originals. Just make sure that it has a raised, embossed seal of their birth state on it.

We are looking forward to meeting you. :ninja: I don't want to make you go through Wenatchee, though, if it will make you miss other areas. We could possibly just visit you in Seattle, if it is easier for you. Your choice. I like Patudles idea of having an event set up for that day. It's always good to have an excuse for one of those! :ninja:

I'm jealous of you, caching in so many states! I've visited 49 of them, but not all of them since I started caching. Have fun! :ninja:

Hey, sax. We go to canada about once a year. Everything depends on where you cross and who is on duty that day. But it is very essential that your children have birth certificates. You might be fine, but on the other hand you could extremely mess yourself up if you get the wrong person handling you. Not something that you want to find out too late. We've had some very strict border people in the past, and some very easy ones. It all depends. Birth certificates should only cost around 12 dollars to get, if you can't find the originals. Just make sure that it has a raised, embossed seal of their birth state on it.

We are looking forward to meeting you. :( I don't want to make you go through Wenatchee, though, if it will make you miss other areas. We could possibly just visit you in Seattle, if it is easier for you. Your choice. I like Patudles idea of having an event set up for that day. It's always good to have an excuse for one of those! :(

I'm jealous of you, caching in so many states! I've visited 49 of them, but not all of them since I started caching. Have fun! B)

We're ordering passports, since we'll be needing them down the road for the "other country" plans we have. I like collecting stamps from other countries in my passport, already have France and Italy. :mad: I'd like to get the kids started on filling passports too. Might as well start them off with a visit to Canada.

As far as Wenatchee, I'd like to have an event and spend the night there so we're a couple hours closer to Missoula.

*** I know there's a lot of stuff we're missing due to the timeline of the trip. It's not possible to see everything. We can't add any time to the trip, so Interstates are our preferred route of travel between major cities.

One of your biggest problems is not finding caches to do but trying to whittle them down to fit you time frame. Knowing how you like virtuals, some days you may just have to log a few. usually you can find a virtual. Some small towns are loaded with interesting fairly easy to find caches. Kellogg, Idaho was such a place. Dick, W7WT

One of your biggest problems is not finding caches to do but trying to whittle them down to fit you time frame. Knowing how you like virtuals, some days you may just have to log a few. usually you can find a virtual. Some small towns are loaded with interesting fairly easy to find caches. Kellogg, Idaho was such a place. Dick, W7WT

We aren't making the trip to try and find as many caches as we can. We are doing it for caching, but also to see parts of the country we've never been to.

I know the Canada border crossing stories are a done but I managed to cross through with my WA temporary drivers licence. No big deal you say ... well they are paper and the lady at the grocery store wouldn't even take it when I wanted to buy my favorite micro-brew (keep in mind I am 28)! I would also very much agree on not going through the I-5 crossing especially on a weekend (made that mistake once) unless you have some time to spare. They do require a birth certificate now I think but other than that I didn't think it was really that different than previously.

We were just in Yosemite last weekend and I didn't know that National Parks don't allow caches! OK keep in mind Oregon has only 1 National Park (Glacier in the south of the state) so its not like I have been to many in the last 2 years since I have been caching. So, I guess anything other than a virtual is out of the question for your parks.

We aren't making the trip to try and find as many caches as we can. We are doing it for caching, but also to see parts of the country we've never been to.

I wish I had your attitude. On trips, I try to take advantage of the wonderful places that we travel through. But I am afraid that Geocaching sorta take priority. Enjoy the great Pacific Northwest and pick up at least one cache in each state.

Have fun! Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT
We're ordering passports, since we'll be needing them down the road for the "other country" plans we have. I like collecting stamps from other countries in my passport, already have France and Italy. :rolleyes: I'd like to get the kids started on filling passports too. Might as well start them off with a visit to Canada.

I doubt that you'll get any stamps in the passport for Canada. They'd probably just look at it and hand it back to you. (Hey, Canada's not THAT foreign). :blink:

We're ordering passports, since we'll be needing them down the road for the "other country" plans we have. I like collecting stamps from other countries in my passport, already have France and Italy. :rolleyes: I'd like to get the kids started on filling passports too. Might as well start them off with a visit to Canada.

I doubt that you'll get any stamps in the passport for Canada. They'd probably just look at it and hand it back to you. (Hey, Canada's not THAT foreign). :blink:

I had to ask for a stamp when I went from France to Italy and back again on two seperate evenings. So did the other 20 or so people from my marching band that went with me. The Italian agents didn't seem to care that we were visiting.

I had to ask for a stamp when I went from France to Italy and back again on two seperate evenings. So did the other 20 or so people from my marching band that went with me. The Italian agents didn't seem to care that we were visiting.

Of course. You get an entry stamp to the European Union when you enter, and an exit stamp when you leave. I'm surprised you even managed to find someone to give you a stamp at the French-Italian border, as those borders are as open as the border from Colorado to Utah - you just drive through and wave at the sign.

Of course. You get an entry stamp to the European Union when you enter, and an exit stamp when you leave. I'm surprised you even managed to find someone to give you a stamp at the French-Italian border, as those borders are as open as the border from Colorado to Utah - you just drive through and wave at the sign.

That's why we had to ask for that stamp. Then again, this was 1994.

Small world! My wife (Blooming Idiot) & I are planning a trip from late May thru mid-June that will take us thru Colorado Springs (I'm planning on Mingo for number 1000). I was going to e-mail you for suggestions on caches there. Our dates aren't firm yet, but maybe we'll meet (here or there) or just be chasing each other around the map!

Small world! My wife (Blooming Idiot) & I are planning a trip from late May thru mid-June that will take us thru Colorado Springs (I'm planning on Mingo for number 1000). I was going to e-mail you for suggestions on caches there. Our dates aren't firm yet, but maybe we'll meet (here or there) or just be chasing each other around the map!

You might want to start a thread in the West and Southwest forum once you get closer to deciding dates. If our schedules work out, we'd love to host an event for you.

Sax Man when you are in PDX you have to visit one of the many Mcmenamins Brew pubs. If you announce which one you will be at I will bet a few local geocahers will show up. You also may want to visit pdxgeocaching.com most of the locals hang out there. We will be camping next to you at your campout then heading out the next weekend for the northwest and Champoeg.

We'll be in Portland Wednesday evening. Since you know the area far better than we do, why not setup the event? Give us the time and place and we'll meet you there. Keep in mind, we have kids with us, so it needs to be a family-friendly establishment.

Sax Man when you are in PDX you have to visit one of the many Mcmenamins Brew pubs. If you announce which one you will be at I will bet a few local geocahers will show up. You also may want to visit pdxgeocaching.com most of the locals hang out there. We will be camping next to you at your campout then heading out the next weekend for the northwest and Champoeg.

We'll be in Portland Wednesday evening. Since you know the area far better than we do, why not setup the event? Give us the time and place and we'll meet you there. Keep in mind, we have kids with us, so it needs to be a family-friendly establishment.

I would love to, however I now live in Colorado and won’t be back in PDX for a visit until the week after you get back!

Small world!  My wife (Blooming Idiot) & I are planning a trip from late May thru mid-June that will take us thru Colorado Springs (I'm planning on Mingo for number 1000).  I was going to e-mail you for suggestions on caches there.  Our dates aren't firm yet, but maybe we'll meet (here or there) or just be chasing each other around the map!

You might want to start a thread in the West and Southwest forum once you get closer to deciding dates. If our schedules work out, we'd love to host an event for you.

Thanks! I was planning on doing that in the next week or so. I hope our schedules work so we can meet.

If you want to grab 4 or 5 quick caches along I-5 in Washington there's a side road along I-5 just south of Longview (about 30 miles north of the Oregon border) with a bunch of pretty quick caches along it. You get off at one exit and then get back on I-5 at the next exit.

From Kress Lake Beaver Work to Over the bridge and through……. A chance to grab a few caches and travel a mile or so on the old highway we (well, my grandparents) used before I-5 was built.

The first one is a 1/4 mile walk or so but the other 3 are 37 paces or less. There's also a fifth one Mt. Pleasant that is a 1-2 mile drive away from the freeway (and then back) but is in a very small cemtery so can't be too much of a walk (I haven't found it since it was moved).

Roughly what part of Portland will you be in? Pick the correct side of town, and maybe we can set something up. :ph34r: Choose poorly, and something can probably still be done. :blink:

A pity that you will likely not have time to do any of the (IMHO) more interesting caches in the area.

Due to some problems on our Great Plains trip this past week, we've stepped back into reality. Looks like we're going to revamp this trip to be a little less ambitious. I'll post more about it later, but I don't think we'll be doing the I-5 portion of it. in fact, we'll probably skip California all together, since we have finds there already.