60cs Bad Signal

The last few times I've gone geocaching with my dad, my 60cs is off by 30 feet or more. Often the arrow is pointing away from the cache, but the distance will drop as I walk to it. My dad's Garmin GPS V walks him right to the cache! My accuracy shows around 12 feet, sometimes closer, but it just is off! Anyone else having this trouble?

Heather

also what I do is go in my back yard or a clear field and mark a waypoint walk away from it and then go to it and see how close it get's you

this will tell you if it gets you to within 10 feet of it

good luck I just ordered mine it should be here tomorrow so I will be testing it good

My 60CS has been doing the same thing lately. I have tried calibrating the compass and keeping good batteries in it also. I contacted Garmin when I first got my 60CS about calibrating the compass every time I changed batteries and was told it wasn’t necessary but I do it every time I change anyhow. Sometimes this seems to help but it still doesn’t act like it did when it was new. I haven’t changed any settings because I’m a big believer in if it works leave things alone. Could this have something to do with the last update? This is a frustrating issue for me, and I hope someone has the answer.

Be sure to use map-date WGS-84!!

I'm not familiar with this. Could you explain what this setting is, or does, or how to use it?

Thanks

Press MENU->MENU->Setup->ENTR->Units->ENTR. Make sure that your position format is hddd mm.mmm and the Map Datum is WGS 84. The unit should have shipped this way, but the setting may have gotten changed by accident.

Some paper maps use other datums (USGS 24K topos use NAD 27), so the unit allows you to change datums to match a paper map. There is generally no reason to change it for Geocaching.