Magnets And Decon Containers In Seattle

AnalogDog

Do I need to say much more? I bought some at Michael's Crafts, but they stink compared to some I have seen. I saw one on a Weinerdog cache that really caught my eye, about 1/8" diameter and held like something much bigger.

Any recomendations for places to get good quality magnets in the North Seattle Area?

And on another note, which Surplus stores have Decon containers?

I have purchased decon containers from the surplus store on 4th south just north of Michigan. It is on the west side of the street. I forgot the name, sorry.

I have purchased rare earth magnets from Amazing Magnets and been quite happy with them. I think either place would be just fine. These magnets are really strong and small ones will do a good job. Amazing magnets sends out a sample pack with orders that includes a number of the small ones.

try searching neodymium on ebay if you're looking for good deals.. there's always a ton of varieties of shapes and sizes available too.

don't get them near your monitor, credit cards, or tv!!

and the big ones will smash your finger if it gets in the way.

old computer hard drives have some nice ones in them as well, kind of a pain to get them out, but....

I'm an IT manager by trade and have a stack of several dead drives on my desk, waiting to be cannibalized for the magnets and fun spinny things. I already have a stack of 7 magnets recovered in the last few months, waiting to be used. I dunno if it's hard drive magnets specifically or all neodymium type magnets, but they're brittle as heck and will break given the slightest rough treatment.

Hmm ... Magnets ... I hope those aren't going to be used in new micro caches :lol: Lets not encourage the blight of the micro to spread further across the land. I am down in Fresno for a month and have been caching down here and I SWARE ever 4/5 @!*##$&(! caches is a @#^$% micro. I guess urban environments are a little different than the forests of the NW but still do I really need to sulk with-in 25 feet of Jack-in-the-Box or Albertsons searching inside of a light pole shield for a magnetic micro stuck somewhere? :lol: I have a strange urge once I get home to hide a cache that will take two people to open ... just have to find the right container and one really huge magnet :lol:

?? We hunt because they are out there no matter the size. It wasn't meant to be a commentary on a perceived incompetence of using geocaching.com but a commentary on the shrinking nature of caches. Some micros are interesting and creative and I wouldn't miss but a bunch are hide-a-keys stuck to _______. It sounds like someone is trying to find very powerful magnets so I will take that as a plan in the works which means effort and that is always good.

PS I have a rare earth magnet from Lee Valley that came with my tenon cutter and I always find it stuck to various tools and I would agree with the strength.

Edited by richandsteph
Hmm ... Magnets ... I hope those aren't going to be used in new micro caches  Lets not encourage the blight of the micro to spread further across the land. I am down in Fresno for a month and have been caching down here and I SWARE ever 4/5 @!*##$&(! caches is a @#^$% micro. I guess urban environments are a little different than the forests of the NW but still do I really need to sulk with-in 25 feet of Jack-in-the-Box or Albertsons searching inside of a light pole shield for a magnetic micro stuck somewhere?  I have a strange urge once I get home to hide a cache that will take two people to open ... just have to find the right container and one really huge magnet 

Super glue works wonders??? :D But you didn't hear that from me...