Treo 650 And Software Question

Nos402

I used ti Geocache a lo, but haven't done it for a while now. I have an etrex but really enjoyed using my Palm Vx with it's GPS attachment and GeoNiche software when Geocaching.

I'm now considering getting a Treo 650, but wanted to see what my options were for Geocaching with it.

1. From what I've read, it looks like I would need to shell out about $200+ for an SD GPS attachment?

2. I seem to be reading a lot about CacheNav and CacheMate and was wondering if these are better than GeoNiche somehow (I really liked GeoNiche)

3. Should I even bother or just use the old yellow etrex I also own? I liked the GeoNiche interface and options better, and the ability to have notes, clues, etc. right there with me on the palm. It was also nice to be able to transfer waypoints directly from geocaching.com to the palm with the EasyNiche.jar which came with GeoNiche.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

While it would be nice to have the Treo with you on a hunt/hike, you need to keep it in your pocket. Do not use a SD card with your Treo for geocaching. That combo is for salesmen, repairmen, and delivery drivers--it's not meant for hiking or any situation where you could drop your device on a rock or in a river.

I'd suggest a quality handheld GPS at a price you can afford. If you have a yellow eTrex and you are comfortable with it, then stick with it. Maybe buy a cable from PC-Mobile.net or PFranc.com to connect your eTrex with the Treo. With that combo, you can run GeoNiche, CacheMate, and other apps on your Treo.

If you like GeoNiche on your old Palm device, you should like it just as well on your Treo. I know that Ray Darrah has done some dev work in conjunction with the Treo 600, so it should work fine on a 650. CacheMate is nice for interacting with Pocket Queries and GSAK--it's easily worth the $8, even if you use it only once.

Maybe I'll just keep my Palm Vx to use as my Geocaching PDA since I already have the GPS for it, and then I won't have to risk dropping my treo (if I get one). Argh! Decisions! After buying Cachemate, I'll definitely be sticking with GeoNiche. Don't get me wrong, CacheMate and CacheNav are dadgum fine products (even though I'm sticking with GeoNiche, I still paid for CacheMate just to support the Geocaching community since $8 isn't really a big deal), but they just don't have anything close to the customizability and nice "all-in-one" smoothness of GeoNiche. I'm leaving them installed though, just for fun.

Edited by Nos402

Hey, don't let me talk you out of a new Treo. It's very sexy. I'm surprised that you could be talked out of such a cool new toy so easily. :ninja:

If you are happy and comfortable with the eTrex/GeoNiche combo, then there is no reason to change anything. On the other hand, the Treo is color, it's faster than the Vx, it's a phone, it plays a lot more games, and it connects to the Net.

The only thing that's keeping me from buying a Treo 650 is the one that's coming after it. Well, that and I'm jonesing for a new digital SLR and I'm having trouble deciding on the Nikon D70 versus the Pentax Ist DS.

Oh I didn't mean I wouldn't get one at all, I meant I would get one, but instead of worrying how to get it GPS ready and worry about taking it through woods and such, I would just relegate my old Palm Vx to be my dedicated Geocaching unit.

...and what is this that you speak of coming after the treo 650? Need details!

...and what is this that you speak of coming after the treo 650? Need details!

I didn't mean to suggest that PalmOne is coming out with some new Treo-killer. As far as I know, the Treo 650 is the "end-all, be-all" of phones available in the US and I dearly would love to have one. I was also refering to the inevitable occurrence that as soon as you plop down the $$$ for some nifty new gadget, the manufacturer immediately puts out its' successor.