Drypack Gps Bags

TheLifeguardStore.com under personal equipment. (I know it is sad that I do not know how to link :lol: )

I have found them for $15+ from other vendors (LLBean). :D

Add to your order the Fox 40 whistles~high decimals=good in an emergency. But of course, my personal & fav. whistle is the Thunder 2000!! Highest pitch dec. ever made in a whistle. Good at those NYJET games in the endzone! LOL :)

Since most GPSs are waterproof why would we want a waterproof bag for it?

Because some people feel the need to "baby" the gps.

The same thing really bugs me about SUV's. people will spend all that money on an H2, and keep it in the garage for the winter. They don't seem to know that it can handle a little snow, just like a gps can handle rain.

I would buy one for extended use on a boat. Other than that, it's worthless.

Having had numerous "waterproof" watches and other electronics, and having dropped at least one of each into a toilet at some point (don't ask,) and having them stop working completely after that, I can see why someone might want one of those.

That said, the answer is a lanyard more than a plastic bag; I wouldn't buy one either. :huh:

Generally, if I'm wading across a stream, I put my GPS into a waterproof bag, and throw it in the pack. I've been known to fall into streams, even when the clumsiest people make it across.

That being said, aren't most GPS' water resistant in stead of waterproof?

Waterproof would mean that you could leave it at the bottom of your pool for days without anything happening.

Water resistance means that it can be splashed, rained, or dripped on with no problems. In a lot of cases, it can even be submerged at a certain level for a short ammount of times.

But honestly, I wouldn't trust it that much. If I'm in a wet area, I keep my gps in a bag.

As Stunod's GPS or my cellphone can tell you from up there in electronics heaven, GPS and cell phones are not entirely waterproof.

Edited by TeamK-9

Add to your order the Fox 40 whistles~high decimals=good in an emergency. But of course, my personal & fav. whistle is the Thunder 2000!! Highest pitch dec. ever made in a whistle. Good at those NYJET games in the endzone! LOL :huh:

I love the Fox40 whistles...I have several.

I haven't heard of the "thunder 2000"...I'll keep an eye out. Thanks for the heads-up.

Ed

(likes whistles)

Garmin says its units are 'waterproof'.

Most Garmin GPS units are waterproof in accordance with IEC 529 IPX7. IEC 529 is a European system of test specification standards for classifying the degrees of protection provided by the enclosures of electrical equipment. An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. An IPX7 designation is given to all eTrex models. While the case of the GPS unit is waterproof, the battery compartment is not. Upon exposure to the elements, water may leak into the battery compartment and could cause corrosion of the batteries, as with any electronic devise. If water does enter the battery compartment, simply dry the battery compartment thoroughly and install new batteries.
But hey, it's your money, and if you want to spend it waterproofing a waterproof device, spend away.

Well, I would take some precautions also, because my GPS doesn't float. A lanyard, or a ZipLoc bag, could insure that it doesn't go to the bottom. But that's all I would be worried about. Some splashes from waves, or rain, won't hurt it. Of course, not all GPSrs are waterproof, so it's wise to protect those that aren't.

Garmin says its units are 'waterproof'.
Most Garmin GPS units are waterproof in accordance with IEC 529 IPX7. IEC 529 is a European system of test specification standards for classifying the degrees of protection provided by the enclosures of electrical equipment. An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. An IPX7 designation is given to all eTrex models. While the case of the GPS unit is waterproof, the battery compartment is not. Upon exposure to the elements, water may leak into the battery compartment and could cause corrosion of the batteries, as with any electronic devise. If water does enter the battery compartment, simply dry the battery compartment thoroughly and install new batteries.
But hey, it's your money, and if you want to spend it waterproofing a waterproof device, spend away.

I could be reading that entirely wrong, but the way I read it, that thing basically contradicts itself.

The unit itself is waterproof, but the battery compartment isn't?

Surely, if water can get into the battery compartment then it could find a way to make it up into the rest of the GPS from there....

There is water proof and there is water proof. In most cases the rating is base on a specific amount of time it water at a limited depth. I do not recall what the Garmin or Magellan specs are. Three feet in depth for 30 minutes rings a bell, but its late and I am to tired to research it now. In most cases the rating will mean you can use them in rain. I did see a person with a Meridian that he had kept submerged while swimming , he flooded it but Magellan gave him a new GPS.

OK it's morning and I looked it up.

Waterproof (IEC-529 IPX7 Standard)

An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

My 3+ has falling in the drink twice. It certainly doesn't float, but it suffered no ill effects. I've even given it a few dunks in creeks on occasion while in the woods to wash the mud off.

My old cell phone, however, that's a different story. It wasn't under for more than a second or so and water got inside. I popped the battery off and both parts spent most of the day on my dashboard drying out. Late in the day, I popped the battery back on and charged it up. It worked like a charm, but it always had a water spot under the screen after that.

Having had numerous "waterproof" watches and other electronics, and having dropped at least one of each into a toilet at some point (don't ask,) and having them stop working completely after that, I can see why someone might want one of those.

Man, I really want to ask. :(

It's the 'at least one of each' part that has me really curious. :(

Oh, fine. In the loo, and only there, I may be the clumsiest and/or unluckiest person on earth. I've twice had a cellphone fall out of the geek pocket on my shirt as I bent to flush. I had a really nice watch get caught on my clothing as I stood and watched helplessly as it went sploosh; prior to flushing, that, and took a real effort of will to retrieve it. I had a "hardened" Palm III jump right out of my hand as I wrote on it and go sploosh. Those are just the high points. Course, the point of all of it is that none of them continued to work afterwards, even the watch and the Palm and so forth that were "waterproof."

The moral of the story, and to make a pathetic attempt to stay on topic: if you're me, you don't trust waterproof electronics to actually be waterproof, and you stop taking your electronics into the john.

Many "hardened" Palms and other PDAs, such as those specially made for surveyors and whoever (like the new Durateq), are waterproof, in the same way that my Legend is waterproof. We bought several earlier model hardened Symbol Palms at a previous employer; my toilet-dropping episode that managed to get water under the waterproof screen and fault the whole waterproof machine is probably still talked about at that office.

If you trust your waterproofing, don't buy the bag.

We use big big dry bags from outfitters to pack our caravan load of electronics down the river. These are not see-through. Cheap see-through bags the right size are always a good thing to find. Zip-Lock bags are an absolute joke. There is even a little warning on their box, 'Will instantly self destruct if used to store any electronics.' So to the original poster of this topic: Ignore the exceptional level of peanut galerriers. I appreciate the url, the link, the linkier, etc.

- T of TandS

Edited by tands

Voyageur Dry Bags

I'm with tands on this. Eventhough just about EVERYTHING that you open and close regularly with leak it's better than not having anything to protect your electronics. I found the "roll" type of dry bag to be one of the better types of water-proofing.

Eventhough I probably wouldn't use it for my GPSr, I do use them for packing electronics that are going "out" with me for a while. If you use computers or other more expensive electronics out-of-the-office and in the "forest", your best bet is to store it in some kind of dry-storage; whether a bag or case (like Pelican) Even if there's no rain, river rafting and the like environments. Humidity will take it's toll as well. Very expensive stuff.

I'm using the a Voyageur dry bag now for a new TB I've released; THINKER (thanks for the plug opportunity :unsure: ) It's a mini book inside a very small dry bag and I'm willing to bet that by the time I ever nab it again (I hope anyhow! :blink: ) it will be trashed from the elements alone.

Edited by Frangelico

I've learned never trust anything to be "waterproof"

thats why (nonlubed) condoms are such a handy thing to carry in a day pac, everything from an emergency waterproof container to a bandage to keeping the water out of the bore of your rifle to an improv canteen.

1 x 35 gallon garbage bag, 1x1 gallon ziplock, 5 condoms. amazing how little they weight and how little room they take.

(and there good for CITO too)

CaptainQuack, you're totally right. Nothing is totally waterproof. Not to get too crazy here but, when I'm on an extended trip that needs a computer I put a couple of desiccant packets to promote drying in the "water proof" hard case.

Again though, I'm speaking mostly of major electronic items. I don't really "waterproof" my GPSr. Although I do put a little "window cling" material over the display. I have a very, very bad habit of scratching the window of the displays on cells, GPSr's, PDA's... You name it I always manage to mess it up:) More to appease a pet peeve I have for scratches on displays more that anything else. Although my GPSr gets more mud and dirt on it than actual water.

And Condoms! Yes, unlubed condoms are in every kit I take "out" with me. The possibilities are endless. Condoms,... not just for "love" anymore :blink: Captain's assortment of bags sounds very similar to mine. In lieu of the 35gal bags I use the 55gal drum liner bags. I've even built shelters out of them when it gets really wet and undesirable out. Or made a solar or tree limb well with them. So not only do the keep water out, they help you to get water too! :lol:

Edited by Frangelico