Capture The Flag W/ Travel Bugs

JMBella

I have two questions...

Can the bugs be placed in members only caches?

With the 10 mile limit (just making sure I understand) if a bug is, say, 80 miles from the border, it must take a route through at least 8 caches before it can even get near the other side?  Meaning if the LI bug is 80 miles beoynd the border in NJ, it'll take at least 8 drops in caches before it can get back home again?  And the same person cannot touch that flag more than once in a 24 hour period?

We can waive the 10 mile limit for any state that is reclaiming their flag.

Edited by briansnat
I have two questions...

With the 10 mile limit (just making sure I understand) if a bug is, say, 80 miles from the border, it must take a route through at least 8 caches before it can even get near the other side?  Meaning if the LI bug is 80 miles beoynd the border in NJ, it'll take at least 8 drops in caches before it can get back home again?  And the same person cannot touch that flag more than once in a 24 hour period?

Yes, I think you got it.

In other words, you personally can only move it 10 miles in a 24 hour period.

Regarding MOC, my first reaction is to say no, but I'll hear arguments from the other side if there are any.

Edited by JMBella
So, the Relay Team approach is the way to go?  A team of ten cachers could move the flag a hundred miles in a day!

I just spent the entire day in LI and a rally is NOT the way to go. If I got a smilie for every stopsign we came to (and thru) I would have over 2000 finds!!! :huh:

10 miles stays EXCEPT when retrieving your flag from outside the field of play. I can't take driving to Montauk again!

Now try that with 10 cars!!!

TODAY I VISITED THE LI HIGH POINT AT THIS CACHE!!!

:D:huh::):D:ph34r:

Edited by avroair
I have two questions...

Regarding MOC, my first reaction is to say no, but I'll hear arguments from the other side if there are any.

I think Members Only caches should be fair game. Are there any nearby?

Most of the geocachers in the area are members. Besides, there really aren't a heck of a lot of them.

We want to play. We will grab both of them both and bring them to our 3rd house in the Southern Adirondacks. NFA will get them both.

You can't grab both at the same time. Read the rules.

Non-members don't have PQs.

Then how do you download so many? Do you put them in manually? :lol:

We want to play.  We will grab both of them both and bring them to our 3rd house in the Southern Adirondacks.  NFA will get them both.

You can't grab both at the same time. Read the rules.

Non-members don't have PQs.

Then how do you download so many? Do you put them in manually? :lol:

I don't think he hits MOCs. Imagine that. All those finds and that's short the MOCs.

P.S.- 31 minutes to game time. :D

I have two questions...

With the 10 mile limit (just making sure I understand) if a bug is, say, 80 miles from the border, it must take a route through at least 8 caches before it can even get near the other side? Meaning if the LI bug is 80 miles beoynd the border in NJ, it'll take at least 8 drops in caches before it can get back home again? And the same person cannot touch that flag more than once in a 24 hour period?

I want to participate in this as well, but with the ten mile restriction the only way I see us getting each others flag would be to do this with a relay style. I mean really, as it stands the NY bug would have to make eight stops before it reached the NJ border. There are 35 people watching the NY flag, it is never going to leave NY if it will take eight days just to get near the border...

Am I making any sense with this??? :lol:

Kar

I have two questions...

I want to participate in this as well, but with the ten mile restriction the only way I see us getting each others flag would be to do this with a relay style. I mean really, as it stands the NY bug would have to make eight stops before it reached the NJ border. There are 35 people watching the NY flag, it is never going to leave NY if it will take eight days just to get near the border...

Am I making any sense with this??? :lol:

Kar

How bout we make it 25 miles -unless you're retreiving your own flag.

With the 10 mile limit ... if a bug is, say, 80 miles from the border, it must take a route through at least 8 caches before it can even get near the other side?  Meaning if the LI bug is 80 miles beoynd the border in NJ, it'll take at least 8 drops in caches before it can get back home again? ....

Why is there a distance restriction again?

Next thing you know, we there will be a restrictions on how close caches can be to one another, or even a restriction to the number of caches permitted in a park. :lol:

May I make a suggestion that a flag may only move (fill in the blank) miles after crossing the border? Right now, the two flags have different rules stated on their pages. The rules really should be the same. NJ has no mention of distance limits, while LI does. It has been implied that a person may move their flag more than 10 miles if retrieving it from the other territory, yet it's not stated in the rules. There is a loophole here. If the NJ bug is in LI, someone from NJ could take it all the way to Cape May. This rule would force a drop closer to the border. Then it's a race to see which direction it'll move next.

Edited by Resolution

I was going to suggest the first one from NJ to move the LI bug to move it more than the 10 miles. I placed it where I did because it one of only two locations on LI where there is terrain that even approaches some decent elevation. This area happens to have some of the best caches on the Island.

OK, so, move your own flag 10 miles, and the opposing teams flag 25?

Also, here's a new rule. The flag needs to be logged into the cache before it can be moved again. In other words, Avro can't call Brian and tell him what cache it's in so he can get it before anyone else knows where it is. Does that make sense? The only way to find the flag is to watch it and see where it gets logged. I could go to NJ with 10 people and have the flag in Montauk in a day. Then you can have the flag in Cape May the next day and that can end up being like a stalemate and everyone will lose interest I think.

Somehow I think this should be more simple. :mad:

Finally dawned on me this morning, now I know why this was kicked off on April 1, it has been an elaborate hoax and joke on the community by several well known jokesters. What with the bluster, bravado and the shifting rules. Very Funny gentlemen APRIL FOOLS I could not imagine a more screwy game with rules changing while underway. :mad:;):P YOU HAD US BUYING INTO IT. Even put it over on the New England crowd.

Edited by Packanack
Even put it over on the New England crowd.

We're not really a 'crowd'. It's more like 6 of us debating the rules. And we can't even figure out how to choose teams yet. My latest idea is to pick two captains, gather all the geocachers in New England at Fenway Park, and then pick teams one person at a time, like we used to do when choosing sides for kick ball in the 6th grade.

But I'm glad to see that your game has started and you are still discussing the rules. I feel so much better now.

There is no game. cache test, they are gonna have people running from cache to cache and it is always gonna be oh, you were 15 minutes late, oh, you were 20 minutes late. That's the joke, they are all in on it. Got watch these guys, great joke. :lol:

If that was true we'd piss a lot of people off.

There is  no game. cache test, they are gonna have people running from cache to cache and it is always gonna be oh, you were 15 minutes late, oh, you were 20 minutes late.  That's the joke, they are  all in on it.  Got watch these guys, great joke. :lol:

If that was true we'd piss a lot of people off.

yeah, but it would be worth it to hide in the woods and see the look on their faces, hehehehe

So what are the rules? :o

And are they the same for both teams?

This is starting to remind me of "Calvin Ball", where you make up the rules as you go along. :o

I'd be happy to host the "official" rules on my website this way there's a definative source for the rules de-jur.

Edited by GoofyGoober

Uh, Harry, I am not sure of this but I think it might only be 4/2/05. I know that the streams and rivers are beyond flood stage, raging torrents, water moving at biblical proportions. And at least one requires a steam crossing described in one log as daunting, and that was by a lithe 25 year old.

Edited by Packanack
And, here it is, April 2nd, and neither flag has moved? Wusses!

(Edited to correct date. :D )

I was surprised to find that anybody was out caching today. Not me.

For me that is a 160 mile round trip driving PLUS almost three miles of hiking. If Im going to NY, I want to bring that flag home!! I don't just want to touch it for a point :D

Kar

I went to check conditions , predict it will not move for a week. Local property owner (near trail head) gave me permission to cross his property and told me where I could make stream crossing, but he said I would have to walk downstream along the river, make sure you don't slip he said, I said I'll pass. Anyone tries to cross Westbrook will most likely die. It along with the Wanaque are moving at Class 5+ levels. East Shore Road had running water on it. The approach from the back side was washed out at Bridge # 244 Burnt Meadow Road.

That looks like a Jersey Rabbit, here is a picture of a LI rabbit. I saw the other day B)94d796e7-885c-4b2b-8c11-ebc480dd5aa8.jpg He was eating a dead coyote. My son thought it was great sport to wait until I walked up to take the photo and then give a sharp yell. Forgetting that I would be driving home.

Edited by Packanack
That looks like a Jersey Rabbit, here is a picture of a LI rabbit. I saw the other day :o94d796e7-885c-4b2b-8c11-ebc480dd5aa8.jpg He was eating a dead coyote. My son thought it was great sport to wait until I walked up to take the photo and then give a sharp yell. Forgetting that I would be driving home.

Dead Yote and a Skunk. Two bad smells that smell worse together.

So much for the 10 mile limit, the NJ Flag has already moved 25+ on its first move. :unsure:

The person is neutral so he can move it 25 miles. You can move YOUR flag 10 miles and the opponents flag 25 miles.

Who is going to go and get it back then! Since it is out of bounds we can move it back however far we want!

Edited by avroair
Since there were no rules against it, I have already placed the bug in a new cache - TCJP.
No he says he put it in a JMBella owned cache---clear as well MUD--he even mentioned the name of the cache. Neutrals don't know about new unapproved caches do they ? Completly innocent query from one not so experienced. :unsure:

"Since there were no rules against it, I have already placed the bug in a new cache - TCJP.

It's owned by JMBella and it's not meant for kids (not anymore at least).

Since I don't want to choose sides here (although I should favor NY) because I think that it will be more fun, I placed the TB in a neutral location here on SI."

Edited by Packanack