Capture The Flag W/ Travel Bugs

JMBella

Okay, here are the rules:

1. no person can have both flags at the same time

2. If you grab and move a flag you cannot move any others for 24 hours

(this prevents people virtually logging flags)

= 3 point penalty

3. If you grab a flag please drop it off in a cache within 48 hours

1 point penalty for each day after the 48 hours (only applies to team members)

4. Please place the flag in a cache that has a terrain rating of less than 4

10 point penalty for being a clever jacka**

A team is awarded one point for every time a team member grabs opponents flag.

A team is awarded two points every time opponents flag goes into one of their caches.

A team is awarded one point each time their flag goes into their own cache.

A team loses a point for each day their flag leaves the playing field (outside NJ and LI)

:(

Long Island is Blue

New Jersey is Red

These rules are more like guidelines and are subject to change at any time.

Viewer discretion is advised. Public humilliation of adults. Not appropriate for children under 12.

OK NJ is ready...sort of. I can't find the activation code for the TB and have an e-mail into Groundspeak to see if I can get a new one. I'm calling the bug "Capture The Flag - NJ" unless someone has a better idea.

e082743d-e06d-4af3-b143-d8acb84bec68.jpg

I have a laminated card with the rules attached. I can send JMB the Word doc if he has a laminator available, or I can just laminate another card and send it to him.

Edited by briansnat

The NJ bug states:

"Please do not take this bug out of either NJ or Long Island"

But the LI bug has no similar prohibition.

The rules (for both bugs) state:

"A team loses a point for each day their flag leaves the playing field (outside NJ and LI)"

Obviously the rules contemplate that the bugs may wander outside NJ and LI so why the inconsistemcy in the Jersey bug's description?

Also who are the "team members" - you guys have rosters?

I already see an inherent unfairness in this game. I can see why Long Islanders would want to come to NJ to see our wonderful state and bag our excellent caches. But why would anyone from NJ want to go to Long Island, other than to visit in-laws

I rather enjoyed geocaching Muttontown Preserve. But Long Island does seem to seriously deficient in things like hills. And rocks.

The NJ bug states:

"Please do not take this bug out of either NJ or Long Island"

But the LI bug has no similar prohibition.

The rules (for both bugs) state:

"A team loses a point for each day their flag leaves the playing field (outside NJ and LI)"

Obviously the rules contemplate that the bugs may wander outside NJ and LI so why the inconsistemcy in the Jersey bug's description?

Also who are the "team members" - you guys have rosters?

Hey, we would like to try and keep the bugs within the field of play, but if a bug happens to leave :D we can't stop that.

No teams, the 'game' is open to anyone just like every other event.

edit: as Brian already pointed out that WE (NJ) already have unfairness since we have to travel to LI to get their flag. so we need all the help we can get! :rolleyes:

Edited by avroair
I already see an inherent unfairness in this game. I can see why Long Islanders would want to come to NJ to see our wonderful state and bag our excellent caches. But why would anyone from NJ want to go to Long Island, other than to visit in-laws

That's it. It's on b!tche$

The ONLY good thing about NJ are the caches. Unless of course you happen to enjoy landfills, refineries and a that ever lingering stench.

mmm....The smell of victory in the air.

35.jpg

Joe, You told me you changed it because the Jersey people call you way too often. I think it would be a mistake as this may happen again.

Avroair will tell two friends, and those friends will tell two friends and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on......

I hope you have the Jersey calling plan. All calls to and from NJ are free. :rolleyes:

The rules mention that the terrain rating for the cache the bugs are placed in must be less than 4 star, what about the difficulty rating?  :rolleyes:

Same. 4/4 max.

Yeah cause a 5/5 always seems to involve rowing. :laughing:

I guess the game can last for 4 quarters - 1 month for each quarter so a total of 4 months... Then we start over with LI vs NJ II!

aa6b67a7-dff5-4f77-98b7-3026662e34ab.jpg

:D:D:P:DB);):laughing::rolleyes:

Ladies and Gentlemen

Boys and Girls

WELCOME TO THE MAIN EVENT!!!!

LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!!

In the red corner representing 8,638 million people: NUUUUUUWWW JOISEY!!!

And In the blue corner representing 2.65 million people: Laaawwwwwwnnnnn Iland!!!

Now for the cointoss... Heads NNJ wins, Tails LI loses...

coin_toss_lg_nwm.gif

And it's Heads...

alexander_heracles_coin.jpg

NNJ wins!!! And elects to stay in New Jersey...

Kickoff is midnight on Thursday... April Fools day.

<_<:unsure::ph34r::):):D;):)

Edited by avroair

As Tom Waits almost wrote:

I got no time for the corner boys

Down in the street making all that noise

Or the girls out on the avenue

`Cause tonight I wanna be with you

Tonight I'm gonna take that ride

Across the river to the Long Island side

Take my baby to the carnival

And I'll take her on all the rides

`Cause out the Hamptons everything's all right

You and your baby on a Saturday night

You know all my dreams come true

When I'm walking down the street with you

Sha la la la la la la

Sha la la la la la la la la

Sha la la la la la la

Sha la la la I'm in love with a Long Island girl

You know she thrills me with all her charms

When I'm wrapped up in my baby's arms

My little girl gives me everything

I know that some day she'll wear my ring

So don't bother me man I ain't got no time

I'm on my way to see that girl of mine

`Cause nothing matters in this whole wide world

When you're in love with a Long Island girl

Sha la la la...

I see you on the street and you look so tired

I know that job you got leaves you so uninspired

When I come by to take you out to eat

You're lyin' all dressed up on the bed baby fast asleep

Go in the bathroom and put your makeup on

We're gonna take that little brat of yours and drop her off at your mom's

I know a place where the dancing's free

Now baby won't you come with me

`Cause out the Hamptons everything's all right

You and your baby on a Saturday night

Nothing matters in this whole wide world

When you're in love with a Long Island girl

Doesn't quite work, does it?

Edited by briansnat
:):):o;):):o:):)

Ladies and Gentlemen

Boys and Girls

WELCOME TO THE MAIN EVENT!!!!

LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!!

In the red corner representing 8,638 million people: NUUUUUUWWW JOISEY!!!

And In the blue corner representing 2.65 million people: Laaawwwwwwnnnnn Iland!!!

Now for the cointoss... Heads NNJ wins, Tails LI loses...

coin_toss_lg_nwm.gif

And it's Heads...

alexander_heracles_coin.jpg

NNJ wins!!! And elects to stay in New Jersey...

Kickoff is midnight on Thursday... April Fools day.

B);)B):o;):););)

To Labor Day is good.

The rules mention that the terrain rating for the cache the bugs are placed in must be less than 4 star, what about the difficulty rating?  :)

Same. 4/4 max.

Yeah cause a 5/5 always seems to involve rowing. :o

I guess the game can last for 4 quarters - 1 month for each quarter so a total of 4 months... Then we start over with LI vs NJ II!

aa6b67a7-dff5-4f77-98b7-3026662e34ab.jpg

Labor day is almost 6 months --- you think the flags will last THAT long!!! :)

(all sewers lead to the ocean right?) :)

As Tom Waits almost wrote:

I got no time for the corner boys

Down in the street making all that noise...

blahblahblah...Long Island side...

shalalalala...Long Island girl...

shalalablahblahblah...Long Island girl...

etcetera, etcetera

Following that theme, I tried it on the following lyric penned by some obscure guitar plucker from Asbury Park:

My tires were slashed and I almost crashed but the Lord had mercy

My machine she's a dud, I'm stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of Long Island.

You're right. It just doesn't sound right.

CTF-NJ will be released in appropriate cache in NJ. One that will be a bit of a challange to the LI flatlanders, but within the terrain paramaters.

Likewise, CTF-LI will be hidden in a cache that is moderately challenging. However, to get to you will have to make all left hand turns thus confusing anyone from NJ.

I think the rule should be discarded. Someone in the New England forum brought this up according to their own game. Imagine if someone has found all the caches within ten miles of the area where the flag was found. A 50 mile radius might be better.

Yes - we're trying to figure out how to adopt this game for New England, and we aren't sure how the mileage restriction should work, or even if there should be one.

I think we are going to end up have much more territory to cover up here, but I also think we're going to end up using more than 2 bugs - perhaps as many as 10.

We won't get anything going as soon as your game, so we'll have a chance to see how your game is going, and then make adjustments accordingly. :laughing:

Seriously.

CTF-NJ will be released in appropriate cache in NJ.  One that will be a bit of a challange to the LI flatlanders, but  within the terrain paramaters.

Likewise, CTF-LI will be hidden in a cache that is moderately challenging. However, to get to you will have to make all left hand turns thus confusing anyone from NJ.

LMFAO!! That was a good one.

Someone has raised a question about the 10 mile rule (a cacher can only move a flag less than 10 miles)...

Do we want to keep this rule or discard it?

It was meant to be so the first people don't grab the flags and take them to Montauk and Cape May.

Don't make me have to change the laminated card :laughing: .

Maybe 20 miles?

I have two questions...

Can the bugs be placed in members only caches?

With the 10 mile limit (just making sure I understand) if a bug is, say, 80 miles from the border, it must take a route through at least 8 caches before it can even get near the other side? Meaning if the LI bug is 80 miles beoynd the border in NJ, it'll take at least 8 drops in caches before it can get back home again? And the same person cannot touch that flag more than once in a 24 hour period?