Capture The Flag W/ Travel Bugs

JMBella

I think changing rules mid game is bullllss***.

72 hours is garbage and you know it Mark.  Quite frankly - you should grab and place it in the same day.

Unfortunately it looks like this one is going to get out of control real soon.

I'd say 48 hours should be max

How about after 36 hours you get 2 points instead of 3 for retrieving and dropping a flag. Then 1 point for every 12 hours after that. In other words, there should be incentive to drop it off quickly.

39 is good Gives you a day and a half

I'll agree with that. (with 39 hours, not that it's a day and a half) :lol:

:D

Edited by JMBella

Anyone check out the New England contest? They seem to have gotten it right. In some cases, learning from our mistakes. Exactly what I was afraid of appears to be happening. Some good natured ribbing might be turning into something a bit more serious. Mostly due to a lot of confusion and different interpretations of our rules.

One issue is that no one person can dictate a rule. Just because you posted it here, doesn't mean it's written in stone. It needs to be discussed and agreed upon.

They have adopted some of our rules, and I see that we now have adopted some of there's. The problem is that too many changes occurred mid game.

He's my suggestion: Let's clear the air, and the score board. IMO, NE has blended our game with their own ideas and came up with something better. Let's start over using the same format.

New England Capture the Flag Contest

Start over or not, I really don't care. LI interpreted the rules one way and a flag went out of bounds through a non-Groundspeak cache. Fine. NJ interpreted the rules another way and a flag travelled more than than 25 miles. Fine. Just get one set of rules that everyone agrees upon. Everyone knew the rules. The problem was there were three different sets of rules. Add to that the constant suggestions of new/different/changed rules (myself included) with comments that appeared to accept those ideas. This is embarrassing! Perhaps if you do decide to start over, you might consider starting a new thread here in the forums. This one looks like an Abbott and Costello routine.

I was thinking about the 48 hr / 72 hr rule and you are right JMB 48 hours make more sense. Especially if you factor in that everyone who has gotten their hands on a flag so far did so with intent to move it quickly. No one has just happened upon it so:

"You picked it up, so you gotta move it." Is probably good.

:lol: Off to the CITO event.

Send Lawyers , Guns and Money the (*&^ has hit the fan

That was an old rock song, it was appropriate to a lot of situations. :lol: You know there are more important things than rules. Like yesterday when I was minding my own business doing a lunch hour cache and I was attacked in surprise by a Canada Goose, in the middle of a crowded park, oh the embarassment as he chased me away from his nest, hundreds of little playground urchins laughing and pointing. :D There would be only one thing that will help my tortured psyche, and that would be the LI flag and a trip into dismal swamp. B) 48/72 compromise at 60 =2.5 days, as a wise man once told me it is just a game.

Start over or not, I really don't care.  LI interpreted the rules one way and a flag went out of bounds through a non-Groundspeak cache.  Fine.  NJ interpreted the rules another way and a flag travelled more than than 25 miles.  Fine.  Just get one set of rules that everyone agrees upon.  Everyone knew the rules.  The problem was there were three different sets of rules.  Add to that the constant suggestions of new/different/changed rules (myself included) with comments that appeared to accept those ideas.  This is embarrassing!  Perhaps if you do decide to start over, you might consider starting a new thread here in the forums.  This one looks like an Abbott and Costello routine.

You're right this is embarrassing. Although, the flag ending up in Staten Island had nothing to do with how anyone interprited the rules but that neither here nor there.

One set of rules: Done.

Just apply these to our game.

BTW, I don't want our flag back now. <_< I'll get a new one. :laughing:

Once most of us have chimed in that we should try this again, I'll close this thread and beg the admins to delete it forever.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go pick up a bunch of $#!+ in a park.

Happy CITO Day! :D

Edited by JMBella
Enraven? Who's sock puppet account is that?

Yeah, I smell socks. Joined in Jan and waited until today to start caching and just HAPPEN to grab the NJ flag on his first cache. And despite there being about 30 caches within 3 miles of Clifton he decides to travel further for a 3/3 multi. I guess the gloves are off. :laughing:

Enraven is my son, who makes me very proud. He is dilligent, obedient, compliant and 13 so he can't drive. Some very good qualities. If you go back to Feargus1 and Feargus2 you might actually see his picture, also Bull Island Cache, now archived, The Lair of Bob the Bear. He is a handsome lad. He has so much wanted his own account for some time. :D

He was FTF on Vahalla View, which is West of where we are.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?II...6a4&LID=6471379

Sock Puppet Indeed ;)

Edited by Packanack
Enraven is my son, who makes me very proud. He is dilligent, obedient, compliant and 13 so he can't drive. Some very good qualities. If you go back to Feargus1 and Feargus2 you might actually see his picture, also Bull Island Cache, now archived, The Lair of Bob the Bear. He is a handsome lad. He has so much wanted his own account for some time. :D

He was FTF on Vahalla View, which is West of where we are.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?II...6a4&LID=6471379

Sock Puppet Indeed ;)

OK. No problem. My mistake. I've got 5 siblings. I think it's about time they all had their own account.

2. Clever attempts to exploit loopholes which clearly give a team an advantage.
Are they as photogenic? ;)

He actually really does get into it.

Hey I think we're actually starting to have some fun now. :D I heard NJ is looking to recruit SplicingDan, he is like A ROD.

No way!! If SplicingDan is like A-Rod then LI is like the Yankees. Besides, it looks like Dan has chosen favorites already but technically, he's still a free agent.

I shouldn't be getting so uptight about all this BS. If your boy is into caching then that's cool. Whatever. It's all just a game.

Actually, yes they are photogenic. My brother, sister and brother-in-law all have been caching for a while now. Unfortunately, none of them are 13 and compliant :P so they don't do us much more good than any other cacher on long island. :D

Oh, BTW, you don't get 10 points for retrieving the flag out of "You asked for it". If you think about it, you replaced part one and Avro replaced part 2. It's now more your cache than it is mine. :D:D

Game On!

I knew it was gonna crank things up a notch. In truth, I had been working the Saddle River County Park Caches for two weeks at lunch. My office is in Clifton and I have covered most everything around here. I can jump out the back on 80 and in 5 minutes be at the bike path. The third stage was missing on this one, I have just came back from replacing it, and as it turned out the final was about 5 blocks from where I grew up in Paramus. I used to play in these woods when I was a kid, hey I still am playing in these woods. ;) I just couldn't resist posting it to your Garrett Mtn Cache , knowing that I was bringing the wrath of LI down on me. If I could only find Scrat II that is where I would put it.

We got a lot of fun left before Sept 1. :D Game ON.

Weekly point update 4/22:

NJ Team

Team Shibby scores 1 point for placing NJ flag.

Tiffany Slaves scores 3 points for LI flag move.

SM5 scores 3 points for LI flag move.

Enraven scores 1 point for moving NJ flag.

Packanack scores 1 point for moving NJ flag.

LI Team

JMB scores 10 points for a NJ flag capture.

Squealy scores 1 point for moving LI flag.

13 - 29

Weekly point update 4/22:

NJ Team

Team Shibby scores 1 point for placing NJ flag.

Tiffany Slaves scores 3 points for LI flag move.

SM5 scores 3 points for LI flag move.

Enraven scores 1 point for moving NJ flag.

Packanack scores 1 point for moving NJ flag.

LI Team

JMB scores 10 points for a NJ flag capture.

Squealy scores 1 point for moving LI flag.

13 - 29

So the good guys are losing!

I TOLD them to put it someplace nasty.  You better hope I don't get my hands on it.

You mean like somehwere in Morris County? ;)

Aw. Now you're getting my dander up! We have some great caches in Morris County! Let me just get my fins on your flag...

I've even done a couple of your caches in Muttontown Preserve! Speaking of which, when are you going to release my TB, Wannabe Bird, so he can travel to Australia?!?

Weekly Capture the Flag Update 4/29

13-41

LI Flag:

Squealy scores a point for moving LI Flag

MacAtac scores a point for moving LI Flag

LouToth scores a point for moving LI Flag

Flag is in Shelter Island #1 cache

NJ Flag:

devil duckies,peter&judy score 3 points for moving NJ Flag

gottcha24 score 3 points for moving NJ Flag

gottago score 3 points for moving NJ Flag

Kroni has the flag.

Weekly flag score update 05/06/05:

13-52

NJ Flag:

Kroni scores 2 points for dropping in a LI cache.

DevilDuckies scores a 3 point move.

Gotch24 scores a 3 point move.

JMbella scores a 3 point move.

Currently located in: JMB-52 Hempstead Lakeview

Scoring Weekly Update:

NJ 45-77 LI

NJ Flag:

Peconic Bay Sailors scores 10 points for a rescue

Resolution scores a point for retrieval and placement of flag

Trowel32 scores a point for retrieval and placement of flag

Paperblob scores a point for retrieval and placement of flag

LI Flag:

JerseyTrex scores 10 points for a capture

Evil Chicken scores 3 points moving the flag

Evil Chicken scores another 3 points for moving the flag

Bella Candy scores 3 points for moving the flag

NJ flag is currently in: Point 777 Times 2

LI flag is currently in: Duckie Cache

Point notes:

* since zarah made an honest mistake LI is not deducted points

* There will be no retroactively scoring Avroair's rescue and Kber's capture since the rules were not set by then.

Date: 5/23/2005 9:31:15 P.M. Eastern Standard Time

--- chstress53 placed Capture the Flag, Long Island (Travel Bug Dog Tag) in Dino Cache at 5/23/2005

Date: 5/23/2005 9:34:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time

--- FlyinV retrieved Capture the Flag, Long Island (Travel Bug Dog Tag) from Dino Cache at 5/23/2005

3 MINUTES??? What is that cache hidden in their backyard? Next time don't make is so obvious. :blink:

--- chstress53 placed Capture the Flag, Long Island (Travel Bug Dog Tag) in Dino Cache at 5/23/2005

--- FlyinV retrieved Capture the Flag, Long Island (Travel Bug Dog Tag) from Dino Cache at 5/23/2005

3 MINUTES??? What is that cache hidden in their backyard? Next time don't make is so obvious. ;)

I think this game will come down to the will of a FEW crazy cachers. It seems to me that the only thing we needed to do was get it back onto our soil. Everyone is willing to play as long as they dont have to drive to the Eastern tip of LI. Or the middle of southern Jersey swamp. Imagine if everyone was devoted to it this summer? It would be insane! :blink:

JM congrats on the 1K, now don't go payin no attention to those guys, cause weren't you the guy who E Mailed me from the cache to tell me that you were taking the flag that very moment. :) No lie, I am sitting at my desk and I get an E Mail telling me he is grabbing the flag and if I hurry I can see his car pulling away, now that was funny. :blink: And after I drove to Long Island immediately after it was dropped only to find it moved again, you consoled me. ;) I hear some North Jersey Cachers are planning a raid to return the flag to Bergen or Passaic County cause they miss the good trash talk. :)

Edited by Packanack

3 MINUTES??? What is that cache hidden in their backyard? Next time don't make is so obvious. :blink:

Hey, when I called Squealy he already had the NJ flag and Zarah hadn't even posted she had placed it yet! :)

(And yes, I did that cache, it IS in FlyinV's backyard!) ;)

JM congrats on the 1K, now don't go payin no attention to those guys, cause weren't you the guy who E Mailed me from the cache to tell me that you were taking the flag that very moment. :) And after I drove to Long Island immediately after it was dropped only to find it moved again, you consoled me. :blink: I hear some North Jersey Cachers are planning a raid to return the flag to Bergen or Passaic County cause they miss the good trash talk. ;)

Even logging the cache from the cache site took longer than 3 minutes. :)