Capture The Flag W/ Travel Bugs

JMBella

Avro has issued a challenge. A friendly game of capture the flag with TBs.

Here's the premise:

Two travel bugs will be released on April 1st. One in New Jersey (red flag) and one on Long Island (blue flag (sorry Neil, blue is my favorite color so it's not going to be purple)). The goal for each flag is to stay in their home base (New Jersey and Long Island respectively). The team who's flag remains in the opponents base for the least amount of cumulative time, over a 6 month period is the winner. My first reaction was, hey, F that, New Jersey is much bigger than Long Island so the flag can travel further away and have an obvious advantage. While that's true, it's not as huge a mismatch as you might think. From the center of the Lincoln Tunnel to Montauk Point is 115 miles. From that same location to Cape May Point is 135 miles. Not such a major advantage after all.

Here are the rules:

- No one cacher can move the bug more than once a week or more than 10 miles at a time.

- The bug can only visit a cache once.

Sounds like fun, even if I can't play.

One thing that needs to be defined. How long can a cacher hang onto a TB, and what sort of penalty if s/he violates that?

I know the whole geocaching thing is based on the honor system and all, but you know how sneaky those cheatin' LawnGuyLandsome cachers are! I can see jmbellasome cacher getting the TB to his side and then hang onto it for a month while claiming the dog musta hid it somewhere. :lol:

Sounds like fun, even if I can't play.

One thing that needs to be defined. How long can a cacher hang onto a TB, and what sort of penalty if s/he violates that?

I know the whole geocaching thing is based on the honor system and all, but you know how sneaky those cheatin' LawnGuyLandsome cachers are! I can see jmbellasome cacher getting the TB to his side and then hang onto it for a month while claiming the dog musta hid it somewhere. :lol:

Where's my Usual Suspects TB?

Here are the rules:

- No one cacher can move the bug more than once a week or more than 10 miles at a time.

Don't expect people to follow those rules. It's hard enough getting people to follow the "don't keep travel bugs" rule.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to playing. I'm have to trips to LI planned, right in the heart of JMBella territory.

Here are the rules:

Don't expect people to follow those rules. It's hard enough getting people to follow the "don't keep travel bugs" rule.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to playing. I'm have to trips to LI planned, right in the heart of JMBella territory.

Let me know when you're coming out Foster. We'll grab a beer if you have time.

One problem - who the heck wants to brave the Cross Bronx expressway to go to Lawn Island?  Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

Besides, Peconic Bay Sailors can stash a TB on one of those ocean caches - where nobody can get it.  I think they'd make a great flag warden!  :huh:

That's interesting. PBS have houses in both NJ and LI. What team will they play for?

Oh_the_Drama.jpg

Edited by JMBella
761cd459-91ec-41ff-83eb-9c26f52bda8f.jpg

Who am I mailing the NY flag to? Avroair, you want to start off the NJ one?

BTW, how does one win? Does NJ get a point if a NJ geocacher grabs the NY flag and vice versa? Or is there something else?

I'll email you my address.

My thought is this. At the end of six months (or whatever time period you want), the flag that has spent the most days in the opponents base is the loser. If someone has a better idea, fire away.

Anyone care to make it interesting?

My thought is this. At the end of six months (or whatever time period you want), the flag that has spent the most days in the opponents base is the loser. If someone has a better idea, fire away.

That's a good idea. Or how about the NY flag stays on Long Island and the NJ flag in NJ. Every time a LI geocacher touches the NJ flag they get a point and every time a NJ geocacher touches the NY flag they get a point.

That's a good idea. Or how about the NY flag stays on Long Island and the NJ flag in NJ. Every time a LI geocacher touches the NJ flag they get a point and every time a NJ geocacher touches the NY flag they get a point.

That's sound like fun. So should we develop a point system?

1 point every time a NJ cacher grabs the LI flag or visa versa

2 points for every day one of the flags are in the opponents base.

Edited by JMBella

This sounds like so much fun, I'll have to follow the competition! Nice flags, too Briansnat.

Of course, being a LIer transplanted to CT, I may have reason to play during my travels...but what happens if one of the TB's winds up in NY or CT? Suppose I can grab the LI bug from NJ but only get it back to Westchester? Should I not grab it at all, or hope another player will get it the rest of the way? Can I bring the NJ bug back to CT? :) Guidelines for neighboring players, please. :D

katydid

Edited by Katydid & Miles Stone

Not too sure how it will work if a flag ends up outside of either base. The TBs will have notes with them with clear instructions so I hope this doesn't happen. Wishful thinking I know. If a flag ends up on the West coast or something I guess it's game over.

If it ends up in upstate NY or CT or a neoghboring state, I guess we will have to press pause on the game until it gets back to base.

Edited by JMBella
Got the flags!

I'm torn.

I guess I live in the Neutral Zone. When I first read about the challenge, my "side" was clear. I'm certainly more of a Northern NJ cacher than a LIer. A quarter of my finds are in Northern NJ and none are on LI.

On the other hand, now that they are state flags instead of Red/Blue, I think I have to be on the NY team since I do live in NY.

Or I could move to Switzerland.

The game will be all inclussive so we will be giving ours to TRL so he can place it in a cache guarded by a bear or a mtn lion!!! (and no, you guys can't have that homeless guy guarding yours! :lol: )

J/k

Have we got the point system down yet. The t-bug pages should be almost identical.

Point System:

If New Jersey touches Long Island.. wait... let's start that over..

Moving an opponent's flag = 2 points

1 point for each day your opponent's flag stay's in you base.

What if someone from an outside area grabs a flag? 3 points if you can persuade that person to move the flag in your favor.

A suggestion from the Neutral Zone. Why don't you start the flags in the buffer zone (Staten Island, Manhattan, Bronx, or Westchester - I think those are the four counties that share borders with both Long Island and New Jersey). This way no home field advantage at the start.

EDIT: I take it that only LIers (Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau and Suffolk) 'cachers are representing the great state of New York in this game? The indignity of sitting on the sideline tortured by the thought of grubby Jersians pawing our state's flag with their (Taylor-ham) greasy fingers is too much to bear. :lol::o

Edited by Perfect Tommy
How about the Liberty Island... oh wait, that belongs to NJ

Yes, the Mother of Exiles lifts her lamp beside the golden door to ... Bayonne.

Manhatten sounds good.

Good opportunity to drive some traffic to Five Star :(

Good opportunity to drive some traffic to Five Star wink.gif

There is enough traffice on the LIE already! :(

Are all the rules set... flaggers are you ready!!!

Do we know where exactly they will start? close to the borders?

Heck no! Ours is going into Melvin's Multiple Madness

Hart and Brian have already volunteered to go out and place it. :(:(

No problem.

Hey... lets level the playing field here. New Jersey is putting our flag in a CACHE while LawnGuyLand is putting theirs in an "ACHE".

Quote from the Joe's referenced page: "It is the fifth and final location of a multiple ache. "

So if the lawn guys put theirs in an "ACHE" then so should we....

maybe TRL's EPIC Caches (pick one of them)?

I would think NYC would be inplay for the Long Island team. It would be weird for it to skip over NYC on it's way too or from NJ. I think it would make things easier. Of course, we can still start the flags there if you want. Zarah, you're in charge of grabbing them both and bringing them 10 miles east.

I still like the idea of starting them off an equal distance from the border. Say 20 or 30 miles? Also, they should both start in similar cache types to make things even from the get go. I'll place the LI one in a 4.5 star terrain cache here, which will be like a 1.5 for NJ. :ninja:

Edited by JMBella
I would think NYC would be inplay for the Long Island team. It would be weird for it to skip over NYC on it's way too or from NJ. I think it would make things easier. Of course, we can still start the flags there if you want. Zarah, you're in charge of grabbing them both and bringing them 10 miles east.

I still like the idea of starting them off an equal distance from the border. Say 20 or 30 miles? Also, they should both start in similar cache types to make things even from the get go. I'll place the LI one in a 4.5 star terrain cache here, which will be like a 1.5 for NJ. :ninja:

You can't pick both up at the same time. Anyone who handles one flag cannot pick up either for a week... unless you are neutral of course.

Either way is find by me., I can put them both in Manhatten, or we can have a short ceremony at Bryant Park :ninja:

Can anyone make a webpage that can track these things?