Hmm...a few etiquette questions

Rhonlynn

Here's a few questions: (I'm about to go out to hunt for my first geocache, near my home, when it quits raining).

1. When you find the cache, and find what's hidden in it, are you to take eveything that's in it, or just a couple of items? ofcourse, leaving the equal of whatever you take, which my son and I plan to do. What about leaving money? Do poeple leave money? It'd be kind of fun for the next person, even if it's only one or two dollars, plus some other items.

2. Can you hide them on vacant lots? What if it's a lot that's been vacant for over 40 years? I know this cause I live near the lot, and it'd be an excellent place to hide something. Also, the parking's good.

3. My dad lives at the Lake of the Ozarks. There's billions of places, easy or not so easy that a geocache could be hidden. Preferrably, I'd choose to hide it in an easy spot. What if you can't always be available to monitor it? I live in Kansas City, and get down to the Lake, about every couple of months. It'd be fun to hide a few down there, not at Ha Ha Tonka, but in the forrest. The parkin'gs pretty good, park on the side of the Lake Road. The business it'd be near would appreciate the business. What if you can't always monitor the hidden geocach? icon_confused.gif

Welcome to the fun Rhonlynn. To answer your first question, you generally trade 1:1. Sometimes I leave something and take nothing, or add a couple items. About setting a cache away from home, is it possible your dad can check on it once in a while? Maybe get him hooked on the fun. Vacant lots generally are ok to set a cache, as long as it's not posted no tresspassing.

Money is left in caches, some is Wheres George bills. (see wheresgeorge.com)

Before hiding a cache of your own, I would suggest finding some first. It'll give you an idea of how they are hidden, types of containers, what to put in them, etc. As you find more, you'll get more and more ideas. Good luck and have fun. Clay

ALL OF YOUR QUESTIONS ARE ANSWERED IN THE

FAQ, please read

1. no, dont take everything, generally each person to find the cache, takes an item and leaves an item, if they want to. if someone leaves money its usally WG dollar bills (see wheresgeorge.com)

2. a geocache is usally placed in a place that has a good view or has someother special thing about it. Does this vacant lot have a good view? or historical meaning?? if it does and you can get the lots owner/administator to agree you could put a geocache there.

3. it is a good idea to be able to check on your geocaches. if you can check on them check on them every couple months it will probly be alright, but it would even better if you could get a local person to monitor the cache, incase it needs to be moved, fixed, or replaced. you said your father lives there, maybe he can be the "god father" of any caches you might place in the area.

1. Generally the idea is to take one item and leave one item...not to empty the box which the owner may have spent a great deal of time pulling together and replacing it with your stuff. (Don't forget to write your visit in the log book in the cache and on this website)

2. I wouldn't suggest money since it might encourage non-Geocachers to trash boxes in search of cash. Although leaving say a Euro or a Pound coin or a quarter from your state in a cache would be of interest to those who follow after you.

3. Well....can your dad pop in to see it if it gets reported as missing or needing some attention? You'll want to hide it in a spot so that casual passersby won't see it and potentially steal your cache which would be disappointing for you and for Geocachers who subsequently try to find the cache.

My 2 cents worth....

Mark

Mark, Matthew & Christopher

icon_biggrin.gif We'll get there eventually.... icon_biggrin.gif

I have a Where's George dollar bill. I really wish I could stamp all of my dollar bills with it, but they don't sell the stamp on Where's George? anymore. Does anyone know a website that has inexpensive custom made stamps?

I've learned alot, and told my son that we can't take everything, but only one thing, or maybe none. I drove over to the site a few minutes ago. It's raining in hordes right now, so it's not a good idea to find it tonight. But tomorrow night, we're planning on it, and I can't wait. I don't care what's in it, it's fun.

Shipping for free is nice....BUT.....

Getting the stamp free is even nicer. This is where I got my stamp from. It's stamped over 50 bills on the ink sent and is still going strong. Here's the link

superfastprinting free stamp

I don't have anything to do with this company. I just came accross this one day while surfing the web.

icon_biggrin.gif

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

39478_400.jpg

Before you go out and start hiding caches I would wait until you have about 6 or so. You need to see where caches are being hidden, a vacant lot may be a good place. But if there are lot of people living in the immediate area your cache may not last very long. Someone may see what is going and just take the entire cache. And please make sure to read the FAQ's it will help answer a lot of questions.