Backpack

ScubaAl

Hello Cachers,

I have been caching now for just over 2 months. I'll carry my GPS, PDA, cellphone, something to trade and a pen. Come summer I can see myself carrying additional things such as water and what ever. How do people carry all their stuff? Backpack, fannypack or just pockets. I have even thought about a hunting vest. How about your opinion on this? Thanks, Al

I have a fishing vest from WalMart. It's a stereotypical VOMP (vest of many pockets) and it's mesh, so it's not so hot in the summer. I've tried a backpack, fanny pack with and without hydration bladder, and this is what works for me. In truth, almost anything can work, and it's really a matter of preference.

I keep my old college backpack packed for caching at all times. It is probably overpacked for most of my needs, but I'd rather be over prepared than needing something and not having it with me. I take it with me on nature hikes, leave it in the car and stash trade items, TBs and a pen in my jeans pockets for short urban park 'n grabs.

When its a drive by just the GPS and a pen will suffice. The size and kinds of packs I use depend on where I'm going. I have a fanny pack with two water bottles for short hikes. Then I can go up to a small day pack with a 100 oz. unibottle. I recently purchased a fairly large pack from Kelty the Apache which has about 3000 cu. in. of storage and that will be my main pack for most of my forays into the back country.

I just use a standard day-pack/college bookbag type backpack which is specially loaded for caching. Sometimes it gets a little overstuffed during a longer hike with the kid and the dog, but caches are only so long around here.

I carry a 2.3 qt Tupperware with me stuffed with several ziplocks, spare logbooks, pencils, tape, etc. for cache repair. I also carry two flashlights at all times.

I've got a medium sized backpack. With 2 kids, I've got the first aid kit, water ( no matter what the season), snacks, trade items, gps, camera, cell phone and some other little goodies we take. I'm looking to get a new backpack that is more sturdy than my cheapy flimsy one. But will stick to a backpack!

It really depends on were someone is going and the time of year. In the winter rainware is good to have and you are going to want warmer clothing, in the summer, Pants that convert to shorts, or shorts a vest and a wicking T shirt, Tilly hat and sunglasses. I always use my Leki walking poles.

It is always good to carry extra batteries for my GPS, flash light, Ham radio, Digital camera and scanner. Then there,s my pocket PC, a compass, bug juice durring bug season and water.

If I am going on a short hike I can get buy with a fanny pack or shoulder bag, on a longer hike I will use a day pack and carry extra water and food, I also add some light weight fleece in caes I stay out longer than I planed to.

Sometimes I also carry my MP3 player or a small radio to listen to.

I use my favorite hiking Lumbar Combo pack from LL Bean (cat # KE47375) 900 cu in. Sort of an oversized waist pack with shoulder harness. Holds two 32 oz water bottles and all the gear you'd need for a day hike. Has lots of pockets and compartments to keep your gear seperated for quick retrieval. Very comfortable to wear all day and will carry lots of gear and trade items for those multi-cache outings. Not a bad price either, was only around $35. :lol:

- Don't you put your hunt/fishing type vest under your jacket in the winter?

- The one that I use for day hiking... Nice thing is it has lots of pockets in the middle section, the first section is perfect for some OFF and some deoderant. Mesh sides for a couple pepsi 20's ans a quart of H2O, suspension straps, and a pocket on the left shoulder for my knife.

- briansnat... that thing is huge! Nice find.

I ride my motorcycle as close to GZ as practical (street bike, not a dirt bike) and walk the rest of the way. I use a backpack that is always loaded for leisure trips. It is a blend of some everyday MC stuff (That I don't keep in the saddle bags), picnic, and now geocaching.

I purchased this pack earlier this week. Its a MountainSmith Approach II. One feature that I really liked was the large, expandable "shovel pocket" on the front that fits a .30 cal ammo box perfectly. I no longer have to empty out my pack to fit an ammo box inside when taking a long hike to place a cache.

29721b6b-2fca-448b-9be7-f883fe036576.jpg

Nice pack, briansnat. I like the fact that it will hold a .30 cal ammo can. Nice camo job on the can too. I'm going to order the Approach II. I currently have a military ALICE pack without the frame. It's time for me to update.

Hello Cachers,

I have been caching now for just over 2 months. I'll carry my GPS, PDA, cellphone, something to trade and a pen. Come summer I can see myself carrying additional things such as water and what ever. How do people carry all their stuff? Backpack, fannypack or just pockets. I have even thought about a hunting vest. How about your opinion on this? Thanks, Al

I have a bag that was a tool bag it is not too big just perfect.

I have different packs for different times of the year. In the winter I like my Columbia coat. It has enough pockets that I can carry my PDA, trading stuff and my gps. It is also an advantage for an urban cache since you look out of place with a pack.

In the summer if it is a short hike I have a fanny pack with pockets for water bottles and my PDA.

In the summer if it is going to be a long hot hike I have a Camelbak hydration pack that holds 3 liters of water. I also carry a couple more liter bottles of water because it can really get hot. My hydration pack has enough pockets for just about anything I want to carry including a 30 cal ammo can if I really wanted to haul one that way.

:blink:

I'm using a High Sierra hydropack that Costco had for $20. Holds everything except the hiking stick.

pack.jpg

I use an identical pack... even in color :rolleyes: . It's a great compact unit and it's also stable enough for me to jog with. As much as I can, I jog to the caches...that way I got a little exercise in.