Help!

Dr123d

I'm working on a cache and getting a permit to place it. The land managers only problem with it so far is the container :( .

I need something that will hold 1 or 2 kites.

I thought I would use a piece of PVC 4"X3.5' cammoed and capped. They will not allow it. (understandable looks like a big pipe bomb :(;) )

Anyone have an Idea? It needs to be somewhat waterproof and NOT look so much like a bomb.

Thanks.

I'm guessing a fishing pole holder type thing made of square plastic rain gutter would be considered too pipe like. How about a really big ammo can? One of the longish ones that are long but not too wide?

Good luck. Maybe hide the kite sticks seperately and have the kites folded small in a regular tupperware container? If you put the sticks for them under the container but attach them in some way it might work. The big kite I have at home folds down into a square about 6X8 inches and with it's string it is about 3 inches tall. Two or 3 of those would fit into a regular ammo or tupperware container I think. Then put the sticks for them behind it or nearby so they aren't visible. Inside the container lid tell where to get the sticks at. Makes it more of a puzzle...

-J

You could always go the route of this. and to get the size you are looking for is about $150.00.

I am wondering why you need the box so big? Do you already have the kites and is there something special about them?

You could always use the pocket parafoils. They have 6 foot + wing span and stuff down smaller than a 20 oz coke, no sticks to worry about and you could get a half dozen and a boom a rang in a 50 Cal ammo can. They sell from $6.00 to $20.00.

If you have the kites and are determined to use that size box you will need to make something on your own. Check out some books on making fake rocks at home depot or the library. If you have experience in fiberglass this would be the lightest option. You can also use wire mesh to make a frame then cover it with mortar and a top layer of sand from the area of the hide( don't expect it to be believable on your first few tries. Practice with small forms to get used to how fast the mortar sets up and play around with thickness/Constancy of mortar to get the desired texture.

GEO.JOE

The only thing I can think of besides a gift wrap box that will hold a couple of kites is one of the clear plastic tubes that you can put on florescent lights. However, I don’t think those are going to be wide enough. If you are skilled with tools you might try building something. For example take two pretzel jars, cut out the bottoms and hot glue them together.

Check out the forum at the location below:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=62421

There is a cache about half way down on the second page where they took a log and split it to remove the center. This allowed them to create a larger hole in the center for the cache. If the kites are not to long this could be used. It would probably require access to a bandsaw to make it work. you might get someone at a cabinet shop willing to do the splitting of the log.

Muddler

:lol:

Edited by Muddler
Hmmm. Are there any birch or aspen trees in the area? If so, a mailing tube wrapped in birchbark with a couple twigs poking out of the sides might work. Natural camo is always best. make it look like a broken branch.

No such trees in this area or altitude. A 3.5' log might stand out a little with no other trees in site. I picked this spot for the lack of trees. Makes for better flying ya know.

I would take a look at the parafoil-style kites. No sticks allows them to fold up into a small package, you can fit several into a standard cache container.

I really like this type of kite :huh: . My only problem is the cache will draw inexperienced kite people(hopefully) and the chance of them getting tangled up do to all the strings is a drawback for me :huh: .

It may be my only option depending on what the land manager tells me when we talk on monday. Fortunitly I have stayed on their good side and they are somewhat excited with my cache idea ;) so I'd like to keep it that way and am going to run a few of the ideas from this post by them.