Daft London Questions

Stuey

Is Hyde Park open at night, and is there anywhere at all within a mile or so where I could park a car. Is it in the congestion charging zone? What about a bicycle, can I cycle in the park, assuming it is open... at night? And is it advisable?

As I said... daft questions :(

Hyde Park is open all night and you can park in the underground car park on Hyde Park Lane. The other alternative would be at the east end of High Street Kensington. You won't find any free on-street parking in the area.

Advisable? Yeah, why not? It's a very safe area.

Cheers for the answers :(

One more Q... Am I likely to find a homeless person asleep on one of Perthos' benches. I want to avoid another 13 (or was it 12) DNF's due to not being able to get at the caches last summer!

I think I remember now that there was a Pay and Display car park near the Diana Memorial.

I have to pick up my parents from Heathrow at 7 in the morning in a few weeks, and wanted to make the most of my 300 mile round trip from Devon by going up early and getting a few caches.

(edit to add: the park is closed between midnight and 5am, and the congestion charge starts at 7... that gives me almost two hours caching in the parks before I have to shoot outta town... nice one!)

Thanks again!

Edited by Stuey

Congestion charge ends at 6.30 pm The park is NOT in the zone.

Yes you can cycle in the park as there are cycle lanes.

You can park in the park in certain areas as around the west of the Serpentine. (Pay and display) I do not know what the cost is or if it is free after a certain time.

There is 'FREE' parking after 5.30 or 6pm in areas north of the park then cycle into the park.

There are roads that go through the park and if I remember the gates are shut at midnight.

The RED light zone is around the Queensway area, north west of the park.

Why not bring in you bike by train to any of the near stations Marble arch, Lancaster Gate, Queensway, Paddington.

If you had a 'Brompton folder' it is a piece of p**s Ooops Cake.

Edited by McDehack

Well, it happened today, with a few slight changes to plan...

I was going to get some sleep before setting off at about 2:30am, but Cachemad and I decided that we may as well stay up and go as soon as out wives were back from their evening out. We set off from Devon just after midnight (no sleep!). We picked off a few easy caches on the way up, including the one in Eckington's front garden at 4am (and yes, he DID hear us, oops!).

Arrival in Hyde Park was at exactly as planned at 6am (getting light enough to not need lights). Free parking in the pay and display right by the Diana memorial fountain (still not re-opened!) was available until 8:30am, so we would have to get a move on. I managed to find 14 of the 15 parks caches that were left after my dismal attempt last summer. One was DNF (missing). Cachemad managed to get 19, as 5 of them were ones I had got before. We also found 6 on the way up, so we had found 25 caches before 8:30am!!!

Then I had to pick up my parents from Heathrow and head home to Devon. What horrendous traffic!!! Took over 5 hours (expected 3 hours!).

It was a great day! Thanks for all of you who offered advice about cycling, parking, London stuff etc. etc. We cycled in places we shouldn't I think, but it was quiet so got away with it. We actually saw a police car patrolling Green Park - driving right across the grass (made me feel better about riding on the dirt!).

May there be many more days like this.... and tonight I will sleeeeeep!

Wow good going guys, however I thought we were not allowed caches on our own land? hey Eckington?

Nowt wrong with that. Just be sure to ring the doorbell at 3am to say hello :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Wot 'e sed :ph34r:

....apart from the ring the bell at 0300hrs bit :ph34r:

Edited by Eckington