Did I screw Up?

monks514

I found my first cache yesterday. My son (3yrs) and I took a toy and ball and left a yoyo and rubber snake. After telling my hubby about this he "scolded" me for leaving the rubber snake. He says I'm going to scare the s*** out of the next person. Although its in a sort of wooded area, this is a suburban park and it was hidden under a large man made object. Not a real risky area when it comes to real snakes. The cache is in a sealed tupperware container and I don't see how a real critter could get into it. Did I use bad judgement leaving this item?

Congratulations on joining the geocaching crowd. I wouldn't lose sleep over this. Have opened several caches to find a rubber snake or arachnid. My heart is still ticking just fine.

I suggest you leave a rubber snake under the covers on your husband's side of the bed. Then tell him to get a grip. icon_smile.gif

don

Welcome to the madness! Unless the lid is off, no one would believe anything in the cache would be alive. So don't worry about it. In fact at one of our recent finds, my daughter took a rubber snake over many other items to pick up. Some kids just like that stuff.

Rubber snakes and bugs are totally appropriate for cache trinkets. I'm thinking of incorporating some of those jumping snake is a can's in my next hidden cache. Now that will scare the s#@t out of someone. icon_biggrin.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

Just an asside on scaring yourself with your own trinkets...

My dogs like to take the voice boxes and squeekers out of their toys. One of them was a halloween toy that made a cackling noise when your squeezed it which I stuck in my trinket bag because I thought it was cool. Later that week I had just completed a cache in the middle of no where- it was scorching hot, there were sheep bones and carcasses all around, and I was nervous about doing this one by myself. I was walking back to the car and got myself worked up when I couldn't see it up ahead where my gps said it should have been. It turned out that I just couldn't see it over a burm.

Anyhow, once I was back in the car (i found the cache succesfully) and my nerves were settling down, I hear the cackling. It took me a couple seconds to realize what it was and a full 10 minutes afterward for my heart rate to return to a normal speed.

Happy Halloween

I've opened a cache container before that had some light-sensitive thing in it that made some sort of diabolical laugh--when I finally regained the courage to come down out of the tree I had jumped into, I started thinking, now, where can I get some of those? So, a plastic snake is no problem. I've seen enough toy spiders, mice, bugs, etc., and I'm sure most geocachers have, as well. I think beany babies that get damp and start to smell are a lot worse.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."--Calvin

MnGCA-Button.gif

I like finding stuff like that---my nephews love them.......Maybe thats why they like me so much more then my brothers, I'm winning there love with cool geocaching toys....

My Cache Page

Do you get funny looks from co-workers -when you say your going into the woods with a 200$ gadet to find kids toys?

See You In the Woods!!!

Natureboy1376

this is off topic since it wasn't while geocaching, but is in the same spirit. years ago, while still young, single, and free to roam, a group of us guys went backpacking in the Allegheny National Forest in Pa. Usual stuff, EXCEPT for a couple of newbies, and a recent murder in a nearby campground. Oh yea, and a devious little recording of a woman screaming.

Nothing welcomes greenhorns to the great outdoors like a little midnight terror. icon_biggrin.gif

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

I've found rubber snakes in caches several times. I always make sure the thing is right on top when I replace the cache so when the cache is opened, someone's gonna get startled. icon_biggrin.gif

I also leave mousetraps in caches. No, I don't set them, but still good for scaring someone.

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif

Run a rubberband through the holes in a medium size button. then take a piece of cardboard about 4" X 8" and fold it in half (like a book). Place the button with rubberband between the fold ( but not in the crease) of the cardboard, and anchor the ends of the rubberband. Twist the button so the rubberband is tight. Secure the two halves with another rubberband. When the next cacher comes along and opens it, the rubberband will unwind and the button hitting the cardboard will make a noise that will suprise the calmest cacher.

I hope my instructions were clear. I think you all get the idea.

What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

Satch1947: Man, I had forgotten those things icon_smile.gif Used to create a version called Tutankhamen Bats with tissue paper that would fly out of books when opened! Great fun, and something that I should start again icon_smile.gif Rubber snakes? Seems that as NZ is paranoid about any snakes, we only get real fake looking things which wouldnt scare anyone anyway! icon_frown.gif

HLD

I aim to become immortal. So far, so good....

Here in Arizona you probably should be just as careful rummaging around in the cache container as you are when rummaging around LOOKING for the cache container! I and some friends went looking for a cache out in the desert yesterday, and they found the ammo box before me, and started checking out the goodies while I went get my bag of trade goods and move the car closer. when I got back, and started picking out my trade, I noticed a 2-3" scorpion had taken up residence! I inspected the seal on the can, and it seemed intact. Scorpoins can squeeze through incredibly narrow openings! I am now thinking it might be a good idea to take a 3'x3'tarp/cloth/piece of plastic sheeting along on desert caches and dump the cache out completely before handling the goods, especially if there are children along!

[This message was edited by Azcachemeister on May 11, 2003 at 08:20 AM.]

Sounds like 2 real genius's out there. First person with broken fingers from a mouse trap is really gonna be lookin for somebody with abaseball bat.

Please do us all a favor, pick a different signature item than mousetraps.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

hehe, I like the rubber snake idea. Beats those phony scratch lotto tickets. I'd rather be scared to death and then laugh at myself for being scared. Then to win $25,000, celebrate for 10 minutes, flip the ticket over and realize I'm a fool for falling for that stupid trick, AGAIN (well, only fallen for it twice, once by a friend, once at a geocache)! seen a buncha those tickets in caches around my area. I read the back before I trade now icon_wink.gif