Ot - Archview

Might be alittle OT but need some info. I am trying to take a track from my gps-->Mapsource-->Arcview. What would I need to transfer files from mapsource to Arcview? I know that I would need to convert the gps file to a .shape file. Is there an easy way to do this?

**edit - spelling :( Arcview not Archview :(

Edited by benjamin921
Might be alittle OT but need some info. I am trying to take a track from my gps-->Mapsource-->Arcview. What would I need to transfer files from mapsource to Arcview? I know that I would need to convert the gps file to a .shape file. Is there an easy way to do this?

**edit - spelling :( Arcview not Archview :(

I think that GPSutility can save files from a GPS to a shape file

GPS Utility

From your avatar I see you use a Garmin Map60C? If you do use a Garmin, this is the best program to create shapefiles directly from your unit: DNRGarmin. It is an extension to ArcView3.x, but is a stand-alone program as well. I use it all the time to convert my GPS data directly into GIS (shapefiles) format for points and lines. It directly projects your data to many standard projections, too!

Timpat...I'm glad you responded to this post. I was looking for the post you recently left for a similar query. A good friend of mine is a waterfowl biologist for the MN-DNR and he uses this program all the time. From what I've heard, this probably is the best solution here.

Timpat...I'm glad you responded to this post.  I was looking for the post you recently left for a similar query.  A good friend of mine is a waterfowl biologist for the MN-DNR and he uses this program all the time.  From what I've heard, this probably is the best solution here.

Jacques0...happy to hear you agree. I work in the GIS/GPS field and I love this program! I honestly use it on a regular basis. In fact, right now I'm using it for my volunteer work with the National Map Corp project listed within these forums. Turns out that Mr. Gorman asked for my shapefile for my quad GPS data as that is the format they work with.

If you see your DNR waterfowl biologist friend please relay my regards and thanks to him and his associates who developed this! It is a priceless tool I use ALL the time.

From your avatar I see you use a Garmin Map60C? If you do use a Garmin, this is the best program to create shapefiles directly from your unit: DNRGarmin. It is an extension to ArcView3.x, but is a stand-alone program as well. I use it all the time to convert my GPS data directly into GIS (shapefiles) format for points and lines. It directly projects your data to many standard projections, too!

Looks good. Thanks for all the replies.

...Has anybody had trouble up loading tracks from dnr to the 60 with usb cable...?

I load tracks all the time into both my Garmin Legend (w/serial cable) and Map60C using my USB cable. (I have used the serial cable as well w/my 60C). A problem I run into when loading tracks though, is if I do not have an active track file in the unit, it doesn't seem to load my DNR track. It SAYS it uploads, but no track shows up.

All I can figure is that for some reason the DNR track needs the active track file stored in the unit to "attach itself" (or append) to. When I load it successfully I will see my DNR track, but with at least one stray waypoint out there, from wherever the active track left off during its last session. Weird! Even if I do not have an active track going, all I need to do is turn the unit on outside to get a fix, then it will load OK.

All I have to do to rectify this is to download the track BACK into DNR, and expand the waypoint (table) properties, and find the errant waypoint and delete it. (It's always at the beginning of the point list; there may be more than one point). Maybe someone out there can explain this better?

Edited by Timpat