First Group Hike Of The Season

Team DEMP

Last year on April 3, 2004, we had a tremendously successful group hike in the Hudson Highlands. It's getting time to think about the 1st of hopefully many group hikes this year.

Now, I'm probably jumping the gun on my own availability, but other then the weekend of 3/19-20 and 4/9-10, I can probably get out.

Looking at the thread on upcoming events there's a lot of partying planned. Maybe we can get out and hike a bit too. I need to get back in shape after sitting on my butt for most weekends watching one of my daughters compete in what seemed like never ending cheerleader competitions.

Soon... my weekends will again be mine (well other then softball practices/games). Darn kids!! :(

David

Sourland Mountain Nature Preserve has 3 caches + 1 not active - center point is The Stones

Sourland Mountain Preserve has 11 active caches - centerpoint Among the Rocks! (formerly A Kid's Cache)

The latter looks like it could be a lot of fun. Anyone do all of them or know someone that did to possibly recommend a plan of attack?

I've never been to Sourland so I don't know the terrain/views I'm sure Breakneck Ridge would be challenging and beautiful!

Sourland Mountain Preserve has 11 active caches - centerpoint Among the Rocks! (formerly A Kid's Cache)

The latter looks like it could be a lot of fun. Anyone do all of them or know someone that did to possibly recommend a plan of attack?

I would start with Take a Hike. I think that cache actually passes all of the active caches on the mountain. Although the recently placed caches seem to be on a newly marked trail. We haven't made it out there yet.

I believe T32 has visited all of these caches, and of course, NB44 and Magoo have placed or visited all of them too.

Oh yeah, Watch out for the yellow jackets. :(

Edited by nikcap

This order should work out pretty well:

Take a Hike - Scout Lore

Romeo y Julieta (may require a slight detour??)

MORIA

Magoo's Missing Morgan on the Mountain

Balls of Fire

Walking the Line

The Ruins

Sour Land Scramble

Bootlegger's Lair

Among the Rocks! (formerly A Kid's Cache)

I'm pretty sure if you continue along the blue dot trail to where it meets back up with the rectangle trail after "Bootlegger's Lair" you can still grab "Among the Rocks!" on the way down. Otherwise, you can just backtrack on the blue dot to a point higher up on the rectangle trail and take it down.

I also think you might be able to get to "The Ruins" with less bushwacking if you go there after "Sour Land Scramble", but I'm not sure... I went to "The Ruins" from "Walking the Line" and had about a .25 mile bushwack.

You will have to do a lot of legwork ahead of time if you want to get the eleventh cache: Magoo's Memories of Merit, although one of the Magoo clues is in "Romeo y Julieta"

The caches in the Sourland Reservation are also a lot of fun, but several of them were pretty difficult (at least for me) and required multiple visits (i.e. Sticks and Stones which requires finding both The Stones and Sticky Fingers. I guess with a big group looking you could probably find them faster though. "Sticks and Stones" is one of my favorite caches :(

I archived two caches along the Breakneck Ridge and Optimus Prime is planning to archive Breakneck Cliffhanger, so I would say it would be best to come in from North Beacon Mountain and do a loop. There's only nine caches up there, but the hiking is out of this world. Maybe the uber-hikers could come in the five miles along Breakneck Ridge, but this is some of the toughest five miles you will find in our region. There is an easy dirt road that offers a bailout down to Mountain Avenue for anyone with sore knees, as a matter of fact, there is no reason people couldn't go up and down that route, except that you will be sharing it with ATVs. The gorge that parallels it is very nice, with a waterfall at the top, this would make a nice route to come in on.

Maybe the uber-hikers could come in the five miles along Breakneck Ridge, but this is some of the toughest five miles you will find in our region.

Hmmm - maybe we should save this for after the 1st real hike of the season. Need to get a bit back in shape and to start out on one that YOU use the word "uber" might be a bit much.

But I'd be interested, if no one else is, on a start/route/end for what you think would be a worthwhile hike. I'd just want to do it when the Skully & Mulder gals aren't there so they won't beat me to the top again! :(

Edited by Team DEMP

I exaggerate the length of the Breakneck Ridge Trail, it's only 4.6 miles, with 3300' of elevation change. The thing is, once you reach the Mt Beacon Fire Tower (great place for a virtual), it's still 5.2 miles to loop around to all the caches. Ten miles up there will feel like 15 miles any where else. I promise you one thing, if you did this whole ridge, you will have done one of the premier trails on the whole east coast. I think Backpacker Magazine rated it as one of the nations best trails. Just don't plan on doing much hiking for the next day.

I've done all the caches in the Sourlands, so I'd opt for the "Hudson Highlands II" version. I definitely wouldn't miss a repeat of last years GREAT trek. I have to admit that there are some excellent caches in the Sourlands for those that havn't already done them, but it isn't the same type of terrain or hike.

Edited by Quoddy

We will be in as long as there are no conflicts with the date. If we are voting - Id rather go north then south (hey - I drive 55 miles south to work - 5 days a week). Why not put a plan together for both areas - c'mon Brian - step up to the plate & put this thing together.

;):P:D:huh:B) - I don't really think I ever use these things correctly so I figured I'd just throw a bunch out there. :huh::P:P:D;):DB)

I'm in - either place. I had a blast at last years event (although I recall the pub had problems with their taps...and NO GUINESS!).

Whoever plans this just needs to pick an alternate pub in case of a reoccurance! :D

That's right! That damm near ruined the whole day. Well, not really but we should make sure THAT doesn't happen again. Also, I still don't get why meeting at a pub doesn't constitute an event if we just happen to go caching beforehand. :)

I still don't get why meeting at a pub doesn't constitute an event if we just happen to go caching beforehand. :)

Maybe if there's an event and then AFTER the event is scheduled we decide on a group hike, that would work. And to be doubly sure, we should have a cacher attend the event that isn't going on the hike ;-)

Being relativly new to the Geocaching scene, we're definately interested in meeting some of the other local geocachers in the area. As long as it's not April 3rd. :(

All of the caching activity is listed under "Resolution", but the wife doesn't want me embarassing her so I had to create my own account. :(

Finally came up with a name that would live up to the fear. God, I love being married!

If you all decide to do the Breackneck/Hudson Highlands route, and are in the mood for a nice big pint of Guiness be sure to check out The Stadium in Garrison (on route 9)...they have Guiness, Murphys Stout and Amber along with about 10 other taps...not to mention the biggest sports collection outside of Cooperstown! Let me guess...last year the destination was The Depot?

If you all decide to do the Breackneck/Hudson Highlands route, and are in the mood for a nice big pint of Guiness be sure to check out The Stadium in Garrison (on route 9)...they have Guiness, Murphys Stout and Amber along with about 10 other taps...not to mention the biggest sports collection outside of Cooperstown! Let me guess...last year the destination was The Depot?

Hmmmm, do we have a venue for a post hunt event?

If you all decide to do the Breackneck/Hudson Highlands route, and are in the mood for a nice big pint of Guiness be sure to check out The Stadium in Garrison (on route 9)...they have Guiness, Murphys Stout and Amber along with about 10 other taps...not to mention the biggest sports collection outside of Cooperstown!  Let me guess...last year the destination was The Depot?

Hmmmm, do we have a venue for a post hunt event?

I think we do now.

Yeah.... where we going? I have all these TB's I picked up at the CITO event I need to drop off in caches!!

What were the locations we picked? What areas do you need to hit that have some clusters of caches? Have you done the Rockland Lake State Park caches? They would center around GCH10V with 8 caches in a 1.3 mi radius. I've never been to the area so I don't know much about it.

Das heist "UBER" Junge, wie im Uber Mensch.

Seriously, it is only a death march if one follows the entire Breakneck Ridge Trail to get there. There are several easier approaches, so it need only be a pain and suffering marathon. I'm up for it if any of you are, how about May 14th or 15th?

Das heist "UBER" Junge, wie im Uber Mensch.

Seriously, it is only a death march if one follows the entire Breakneck Ridge Trail to get there. There are several easier approaches, so it need only be a pain and suffering marathon. I'm up for it if any of you are, how about May 14th or 15th?

Don't forget the crash cart!