Theme Caches!

I used to have a series of Theme caches with a mandatory trade. That did not go over well at all. Most I archived, the ones that I kept and made the theme optional became regular caches as virtually nobody follows the suggested theme.

Having learned from that a cache may have a theme behind it but now the theme is limited to the cache experience itself and isn't part of the trade or suggested as a trading theme.

The theme I hated the most was "trade a button". I had to go to Albertsons buy a button repair kit then I found the tick tack container in a lamp post base. Having to buy a button did not help that cache become better in any way.

Edit: Best theme was a DVD exchange in someones yard. The movies were all fist rate. Another was a book crossing cache. I liked that one.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I have a couple I have placed that I am really proud of:

Ghost Dance Canyon is a Native American/Animal Themedcache I stocked it with about 50 Totem Power Stonesand a book named Animal Energies that tells the power that Native Americans attributed to animals. I also included Native American style chokers and choker kits (with bone and buffalo horn beads, brass and nickle beads and semiprecious stone beads), horse tooth, wolf tooth, turquoise, and shells. This cache is in the range of a $100 cache, And everyone has done a fair job of trading considering they do not know the stones cost over $2.00 each and chokers have about $10.00 in materials. I placed it on top of a boulder in a great canyon that was home to Native Americans and along the Trail of Tears. I feel this cache and this location has accomplished the high expectations I had for it. It receives a lot of praise, as I believe it deserves.

My latest theme cache ROCKS. The cache page gives a great explanation of the contents. The Location is perched at the head of a canyon with amazing rock formations all around the cache. This was one of the first ideas for a cache that I had. For the most part all of the rocks I had gathered from multiple digs over the the past 6 years were all sitting in a drawer with no one even looking at them. I created my latest signature item (Spirit Stones) and knew that evening that I had to put this cache together, so I individually bagged and labeled each stone with the name, state and location it was from and if stories or legends were associated with them I include it on a card inside the bag with the stone. I have high hopes for this cache because I love rock and hope to get some great responses for others that appreciate the content/theme, appreciate the location and share some great stories about their contributions.

So far I have not been lucky enough to find a themed cache other than a coin trade cache that was all wet.

Some that I have read about but did not get close enough to hunt include a fish themed cache that I had a hand carved fish ready for it, and a descending date penny cache, where the next finder could only trade a penny that was one year older than the penny they found.

Happy Caching

GEO.JOE

Wow, it's amazing the ideas some people have.

I'm busy constructing a series of themed caches. I call it "Lost Lord of the Rings" and is all about characters that didn't make it into the movie. The first is Old Man Willow and I want to have a Tom Bombadil cache too. I will probably fill them up with Lord of the Rings books and memorabelia at some stage.

I placed a cache and called it the Logo Pen exchange. GCKVWM. I had a lot of pens that have business names on them. I thought it would be fun to get rid of some of them while providing something to fill out the log book as well. I just added a travel bug attatched to a pen to continue the theme.

There are a couple of "History Lesson" caches in my area. The cache owner left photocopies of local historical information which is quite interesting. It is very cool to visit the same places H.D.Thoreau did, even if I only read the Cliff Notes in high school.

Like the lord of the rings "lost" character caches, great idea!

I'm currently researching a series I hope to start placing, the old street car lines in the Twin Cities (Minnesota). I'm not sure how many locations I'll be able to use yet, so I don't know how big the series will get, but I know of at least 2 locations now. Trouble is they haveta be micros, because the areas are all fairly small. Even going to place a few old streetcar tokens in each cache, along with a brief detail of the streetcar history for each area. (For those that don't know, our steetcar system was dismantled back in the 50s, now the metro area is trying to build a new "Light Rail" system, how ironic).

Submarines and shipwrecks are a common theme in my caches, if you ask my opinion.

But, a more recent observation seems to be that outside of the caches I adopted, all my caches seem to have involved massive loss of life.

(No cachers that I didn't want harmed have been harmed while hunting my harmless caches.)

Almost all of my chaches have had a theme.

Last October I started my series of Holiday themed caches. My first was a Hallowwen cache, dragging the cachers through several historical cemeteries. A large group decided to hunt it down Halloween night (~midnight!). I've got most of themajor holidays covered, so I have to start on the lesser ones (Arbor Day, etc).

I also have a couple of other non-holiday theme caches, like my Barrel of Monkeys which started off with barrel of monkey key-chains.

I state that trade items in theme are appreciated, but not required.

I've been thinking about a cache called "Cheap B*stard". It would be like a Travel Bug Depot, except that it would be for local cachers to drop of the grimiest, cheapest, junkiest, geocaching items that showed up in their caches. (i.e. broken McToys, half-used erasers, etc)

Also there would be a link to a web page showing all the items that were dropped off, as well as Picture of the Month and that sort of thing.

I'm trying to do this in a humerous way... :blink:

Opinions?

Edited by Chanceman

I've only got one themed cache: Grandpa's Gone Fishin'

Unfortunately, even though I stated that I wouldn't enforce the "only theme related items will be accepted" rule, most of the folks who have visited have been hesitant to trade. :)

Maybe I should remove the line mentioning the theme. I put some really nice stuff in there for folks to enjoy and I don't want them to miss out just because they aren't avid fisherfolks.

These are the ones I have ready to set out. They will all be ammo cans.

These two will be 700 feet apart:

The Mans cache- This cache is a ammo can full of tools, hats, koozies, gift card to home depot...etc.

The Womens cache- This cache is also a ammo can with all kinds of women things including a gift card.

Stuff for School

Dogs- all dog items

Cats- all cat items

Lottery- lotto tickets and merchandise (like a hat that says Texas Lotto on it)

Computer- computer games, parts, etc.

Game systems- this will be anything that has to do with game systems, playstations, game cubes, xbox's, all handhelds, etc. We will put games, a handheld system for the FTF, cables, etc. Anything that can be used for a game system.

Sports-football, soccer,track, swimming, all sports.

I know people have done animal themed ones before so my idea is nothing new. . ..but I want to create a pet theme one where all the trade items (ideally and probably unrealistically!) will be pet toys and accessories. But I'd like people to tell their favorite pet story, something about their pet, how they got their pet, but somehow tie the the find into the pet. I'll allow shameless posting of pet photos too.

I'm trying to figure out some sort of item I can stock it with. . .some sort of tag for the pet's collar. . .or for the cacher's keychain. "I'm a geo-pup." "I'm a geo-kitty." "I found XXX cache!" Stuff like that. Still researching custom dog-tags (ones I've found are too pricey). Thought about a photo keychain item (too big for a dog collar). I like crafts and cross-stitch so I don't mind at all if it's something I make. Any suggestions???

Though it was a bit of a challenge to get all worked out and approved, I recently placed a multi-/puzzle cache called All Things Turkish GCQCHP.

Since I live in Turkey, I thought I'd leave some goodies behind for other geocachers to find. As these items came from over 6000 miles, I didn't want them plundered so easily, so I made it challenging with encryption and historical clues. Other than some kinks at stage 3 which finally got worked out, I've gotten some really positive feedback about this cache.

So now I'm collecting more Turkish goodies to send back to AZ for a restock. :cool:

Edited by Darsantre