Any Tips Or Tricks For Noobies?

TrotzO

:blink:

Ok, so you're a master Geocacher, been hundreds of places and found hundreds of caches. How's about giving us lowly noobies some of your tips and techniques? Let's face it, the FAQ's are fine for basic questions and answers, but inquiring minds wanna know, what's your secrets? Nothing too obvious like "when walking near a cliff be sure to look ahead of you, NOT at your GPS". Stuff that would really help all us poor, struggling, newbies......

Give us your tips and the life you save may be ours! :blink:

Don't rely too much on your GPS once you get near the cache. Your GPS will not (most of the time) put you right on the cache. 20-50 feet off is quite common so when your GPS reads 50 feet put it away and start looking. If you don't come up with the cache, pull out your GPS, leave the area and approach it again to see if it points someplace else.

I'm certainly not the master geocacher you're looking for, but I do have one good tip. I'm still trying to get used to it myself. Last weekend, I was introducing a couple friends to geocaching and they kept doing the same thing that gets me into trouble....namely, walking quickly and expecting to stop when the distance gets real small. Problem is, there is a lag time for the GPSr. I've had a tendency to go too far...then as I'm searching for the cache, the distance starts climbing back up. My advice...when you start getting close to the cache, slow down and take a minute or two to look around. Give the GPSr a chance to catch up to you. You just might spot the obvious hiding place while you're waiting!

I am reallly no Master by any means, buy my advise would be simple:

(and has mostly been said)

Go slow. Gps'rs track fast, but not That fast.

Look at whats around you before you look at the Gps'r - staring blankly into the screen wont ever find you a cache.

Choose easier caches to start with - ones in areas or parks you are already familiar with or comfortable in.

Dont get to upset by not finding a cache. Its a Game, or hobby, or RASH, or ?? - but you are intending on enjoying yourself-so Enjoy Yourself!

dont go just for the cache enjoy the walk and the area around and if you see some thing interesting stop and look at it . some people only go for the cache last week i talked with someone that was at the same cache as we were I asked if they seen some of the different things on the way into the cache they said they will have to go back and check it out again

I'll offer a suggestion, that works for me.

Once my GPS begins to zero out on the location I'm after, I look around and eyeball some kind of "landmark" at the cardinal points of the compass. If I'm not sure where they are, I glance at a compass I carry.

Microsoft's Streets and Trips gets me within a tenth of a mile, or so. Then I turn on my GPSr and get after it. The display I rely on is the page that shows me my current Latitude and Longitude.

I compare the actual coordinates of the cache, to the coordinates displayed on my GPS. The difference between the two Longitudes tells me how far East or West I have to go, the difference between the two Latitudes tells me how far North or South I have to go. Then I try to relate that to my "landmarks", draw a mental Compass Rose around me, and visualize where I need to go to get there.

I just use the Roadmap and Arrow pages to back me up and confirm my thinking.

Edited by DNK in CC
...they kept doing the same thing that gets me into trouble....namely, walking quickly and expecting to stop when the distance gets real small.Problem is, there is a lag time for the GPSr. I've had a tendency to go too far...then as I'm searching for the cache, the distance starts climbing back up.

I've never encountered this. In fact I find walking quickly towards the cache gives me greater accuracy if my GPS doesn't have an electronic compass.

Another tip. Once you get to the cache site, if you're looking for a regular sized cache look for something that looks out of place. Perhaps an unnatural pile of sticks, bark or rocks. Next look in obvious spots such as rock crevices, hollow trees an alongside and under down trees.

If a micro is the target of your hunt, first look for anything metal that the micro can be attached to (many are magnetic). Feel along the underside or anyplace you can't see. Then check cracks, small crevices, knot holes etc....

Unless you're searching in an urban area, ALWAYS check a topo map before you go. That will tell you what the terrain surrounding the cache is like.

If, on the map, you don't cross any lines going from the parking area to the cache, it's all flat. The more lines you cross, the greater the change in elevation. If you come to a bunch of lines that are *very* close together, that's a steep incline, possibly a cliff.

Remember what Korzbyski said - "The map is not the territory."

The most important tip? If you're not having fun, try something different. :(

Then I turn on my GPSr and get after it. The display I rely on is the page that shows me my current Latitude and Longitude.

I compare the actual coordinates of the cache, to the coordinates displayed on my GPS. The difference between the two Longitudes tells me how far East or West I have to go, the difference between the two Latitudes tells me how far North or South I have to go. Then I try to relate that to my "landmarks", draw a mental Compass Rose around me, and visualize where I need to go to get there.

I just use the Roadmap and Arrow pages to back me up and confirm my thinking.

Ummm, I think using the bearing to the cache reading on your GPS and a compass would be a tad easier.

Read the whole cache page -- there are sometimes important instructions or bits of information there that will help you.

Read the logs of the previous finders -- if you see a significant number of them mentioning that the coordinates are off, or giving some other kinds of hints to the location, it might help you. Or if they say something like "great container!" or "cool camo job", then you know you're probably not looking for your standard rubbermaid container or ammo box.

Go ahead and decode the hint -- don't consider it cheating at first; it's more like training wheels while you're learning.

In general, believe the cache page. If it tells you that the cache is 30 feet off of the trail, and at some point your GPS is directing you off of the trail into the woods when the cache is 500 feet away, stick to the trail for a while anyway, even if it seems to be taking you away from the cache. Very often trails will loop around.

Once you get to the general area (say, less than 50 feet from the listed coords), start looking around, and think to yourself, "Where would I hide it??"

Don't just look down. There are lots of caches that aren't on the ground. Some of them are hanging above your head :(

My favorite - "God don't grow sticks like that"

If you see a couple sticks lined up, or a rock that is wedged in funny or laying somewhere unusual looking or that's a bit off color wise or something... that could signal to a cacher that there's a cache there. Someone just walking by the area isn't going to notice, but somebody that is looking for a cache (that would be you) should pick up on that.

If you're not having luck finding the container, leave the area, go out about 50' and then come back in from a different side. Sometimes you can see something from one direction, but can't see something from a different direction.

Also, you might want to contact a local cacher and ask them to show you caching. It's a lot easier to explain things on the hunt than it is to explain things in a forum.

I don't qualify either but ...

Go out there and have fun. Stop and smell the flowers, or the lamp-posts. "If you go somewhere and don't enjoy just being there, you musta gone to the wrong place."

Don't get bent out of shape if you don't find the cache right away. The GPS will take you to the area, and then you can just start thinking about where you might hide something. It could be camo'd. It could be under a lightpole; even velcro'd to the base. Lots of places; try them all. And if you don't find it the first time, move along and plan to come back.

Go with a friend. Besides being more fun, four eyes are better than two.

I'm unqualified to give answers 'cuz we've found so few, but here's my $0.02 worth:

Yes, look for things out of place, i.e. stacked up sticks or rocks...or things that are obviously set out by someone, not naturally occuring. This has helped us find many caches (by many I mean like 7 out of the 17 or so we've found).

Also on the GPS is still calculating thing when you stop; that may be in reference to a Magellan, how the little arrow thingy keeps moving once you've stopped 'cuz it's still averaging...the slingshot effect... from what I've read on here. If you have a Magellan, that may be a factor.

For the little Garmin Legend I have, I've noticed like what Briansnat said; walk fast up to the location 'cuz the GPSr is getting and giving new info. every second; they're fast. We've found that if we walk pretty fast when we get close, and look at the number of feet dropping like a rock that usually gets us within 20 feet or so. Though, we have been off by 50 using this same method, and have not found a couple trying it that way.

I tried something new last time. I went up fast like usual, and when I got close I stopped, and just watched it to see what would happen, (like the beginner that I am). I got to see the distance drop about 10 more feet, then go up about 20 feet then drop again, then go up again. Kinda fun, but either way, it gave me the idea that I was probably really, really close. My mom found it about 20 feet from where I was standing. Great job Mom!!! :(

So, there's some thoughts from one noob to the others :(

If you dont find it, try looking up. :( Do not rely on streets and trips to get you there or any other mapping program, they may get you close but sometimes close doesn't help when its across a canyon or a creek. topo is good if it shows creeks and so forth.

You might want to download USAPhotomap it a geat program and it is free, what I like about it is that it shows trailheads and trails, and will give you an idea on where to park.

ALSO WAYPOINT YOUR CAR...

When first arriving in the general area -- place the GPS down on a stump or rock or on the ground. Get it out of your hands and let it stabilize. While waiting for it to settle down slowly turn around 360 degrees looking carefully for anything out of the ordinary -- an unusual pile of sticks, a pile of rocks, likely hiding spots, etc. Also look for displaced dirt or footpaths left by previous seekers (OK, that's sorta cheating and is not always a reliable indicator. They may have diligently searched in the wrong spot.)

Most importantly -- do not get bummed out if you do not find it. The real goal is to get away from these silly internet forums and get outdoors. Geocaching is really just an excuse to get out and hike around, and maybe learn and explore a new area.

Another important point -- really learn what poisonous plants (poison oak, poison ivy, etc) in your area look like and learn to immediately recognize it 4 seasons and in all its forms.

Somebody already mentioned this, but let me emphasize this triple if you're searching at night: Make certain you MARK THE LOCATION OF YOUR VEHICLE. Trust me. Wandering around in the inky blackness in the woods when you've got to be at work in 30 minutes does induce a certain amount of panic. This is true (for me at least) even if your foray into the woods is only 150 feet. I get turned around easily, especially in the dark.

Also, if you're doing a longer cache out in the wilds, it certainly does not hurt to mark waypoints at things like where you left the trail, or took a fork in the trail or other such important changes of direction.

If you find that you're miserable on a caching trip, give up and go home! Even I, described by others as having a problem of obcession with caching, have gone home from 150 miles away because I wasn't having fun any more.

Edited by Balboagirl

yes, waypoint your car.

After a few more finds you begin to gain what some peole call "the force". This is because many cache hiders tend to use the same kind of camoflague. If you are in the woods, check around downed trees, stumps, hollow trees, rocks, or anything that will hide at least one side of the cache. Look for the UPS, and UPR's.

READ THE HINTS!

Pick up a compass, or get a gps with a built-in. You may want to use it to take a bearing.

When at the site, don't look at the arrow too much, focus on the distance. And if all else fails, maybe ask for an exra hint. There is nothing wrong with getting help from a hider. Many people have the same "style" so if you find one, you have a better idea of where to look for the rest.

I have more but it's too early. I'll leave it at that.

This is all very sound advice! :D

Definitely:

1. mark your car

2. have a good time

3. don't forget to look UP sometimes

4. have a good time

5. make sure your GPS Accuracy (aka "EPE" on Magellan units) is on your screen at all times

6. DON'T put the GPS in your pocket, this can cause your accuracy to decrease as it loses contact with various satellites

7. have a good time

8. the GPS will not always take you to the cache, but will generally take you to the area. set your stuff down (remember where you put it in case you wander off too far!) and start looking. you won't find the cache inside the screen of your GPS

9. have a good time

and finally,

10. it's always in the last place you look! :lol:

most of all just have a good time.... caching isn't meant to be stressful. :)

haha auntie weasel is right i read a log of hers and agreed exactly " oh! that seven foot stump."

Hope Meadows! I remember it well. It's where I first formulated the theory.

It's also memorable as the only geocaching trip where I pooped in the woods. No, no...not at the cemetary. I got lost in a patch of woods South of the cache, on the other side of the river (though I didn't know it at the time).

Which brings us to another tip: if you don't have one with you, at least check out the topo map before you go! By which I mean "go geocaching" not, you know, "go".

I would suggest if you're hiking around woods or bushes at night, you should know the area and stick to cleared trails. I once walked through a poison oak plant, only to find out the next day what I had walked into. Trust me, you don't want poison oak on your face.

-E

poakpic301.jpg

Edited by Marcie/Eric
3) Bug spray with DEET is your friend.

BUT:

bug spray with DEET is your GPS's worst enemy.

DEET eats plastic. If you accidentally spray your GPS, or have some on your hands when you handle it, you will do fun things to it like take the lettering off the buttons and frosting the display screen.

In addition to "Look for things that don't look right", such as branches in a row, look for rocks with scratches on them. Nature didn't put those fresh scratches there.

I use a compass when I get near the cache. (I usually get them from BrianSnat caches.) The pointer of the GPS is slow to respond. And won't respond if you're standing still.

Slow down when you are near the cache. I've overwalked many caches, especialy the ones near good, smooth trails. At 3 MPH, I can overshoot a cache by a couple of hundred feet.

Most importatnly, escape before you get hooked. This is an addictive sport. :huh:

:( My thoughts are:

1. Always mark your car (I don't and I get turned around every once in a while)

2. If going out into the wilds (further than a mile from the nearest convienence store) take a bottle of water.

3. Put your GPSr down in the target area. (I usually manage to put mine down within 20 foot of the cache and still spend 15 minutes looking)

4. Nature abhors geometry (Look for the unnatural pile of sticks)

5. Finally, Cache Hiders are normally lazy( or to avoid being flamed, Cache Hiders are an ingeneous group). They know the easy way into a cache site and will take it, as opposed to walking through hundreds of feet of briars. So, LOOK FOR THE PATH. It will usually get you to within a few feet.

Always remember that geocaching is supposed to be fun.  If you ever realize that you're not having fun, jump back in your car and drive home.  :(

You're assuming I'm anywhere near my car when it stops being fun. It has stopped being fun on me once or twice, but usually when I'm two miles into the swamp, a brown puddle smelling of methane has sucked my left boot right off my foot, GPS signal vanishes and I suddenly realize the terrain in every direction looks completely unfamiliar. That's usually about when it starts to rain.

Did I mention the thornbushes?

Always remember that geocaching is supposed to be fun.  If you ever realize that you're not having fun, jump back in your car and drive home.  :ninja:

You're assuming I'm anywhere near my car when it stops being fun. It has stopped being fun on me once or twice, but usually when I'm two miles into the swamp, a brown puddle smelling of methane has sucked my left boot right off my foot, GPS signal vanishes and I suddenly realize the terrain in every direction looks completely unfamiliar. That's usually about when it starts to rain.

Did I mention the thornbushes?

This brings up a point I'm pondering. Can I call myself a geo-cacher when I absolutely loathe bushwhacking? In my mind, seaching for a camo'ed decon in the middle of a bush is not challenging...it's terrible!!! That did not count a time I got chased by a snake.... :ninja: