Palm To Pocketpc

TeamK-9

Up until a while ago, I was using an older Palm PDA for paperless caching. Unfortunately, that PDA died, so we've been looking for a replacement for sometime.

Against my, and my brother's better judgement, we got an HP Ipaq with PocketPC.

I've been looking at my options for paperless, but honestly I'm really confused.

Having a palm, I used the GPX Spinner/plucker combo, and was very happy with the results I got with it.

Switching to PDA, I decided to try GPXSonar. I don't know if I'm not using it correctly, but it just sort of seems overly complicated to me.

Is there anything similar to the spinner/plucker combo that's availabe for PPC, or is there possibly even a way to get spinner/plucker to work with PPC?

Here's what I'm running:

1. iPaq 3835 Pocket PC with Pocket PC 2002 OS

2. Garmin eTrex Yellow

3. GPS/Data Charging cable from www.thesupplynet.com

4. Mapopolis software for the Pocket PC from www.mapopolis.com (I purchased the Navigator Map Packs for the United States)

5. G7toCe to translate and upload GPX files to the Garmin from http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/

6. GPXView to view cache listings on my PPC. (I've heard of people running the PPC 2003 OS having problems installing this app. Although, I haven't tried it GPXSonar is supposed to be just as good.)

I can simply unzip my Pocket Query results on my laptop and drag the GPX files onto my Pocket PC. From there, I use G7toCE to upload them to my eTrex. I can also upload them directly from the laptop if I want to. (I use G7toWin on the laptop.) The Pocket PC gives me a lot more storage space than the eTrex, though, and it's almost always with me.

Using the GPS/Data Charging cable, I can connect my eTrex to the Pocket PC and view and hear turn-by-turn directions on the Mapopolis software. (Just be sure your GPS is set to NMEA out.) I wanted this feature for driving to caches in areas I'm not familiar with. I have yet to try this with topographical software.

Here's some additional info I posted in another topic:

Transferring GPX files to a PPC from a PC and then uploading them to a Garmin eTrex (also how to view GPX cache listings on a PPC):

1. Install GPXView http://strandberg.org/gpxview/ on your iPaq (You'll use this to view cache listings once you've transferred the GPX files to your iPaq.)

2. Install G7toCE http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/ (scroll down) on your iPaq (You'll use this to view GPX files - not cache listings - on your iPaq and upload/download to/from your GPS.)

3. Locate a GPX file on your PC.

4. Right-click the GPX file and then click Copy.

5. Browse your Mobile Device under My Computer in Windows Explorer (make sure your sync cable is connected or your iPaq is in its sync cradle).

6. Locate your Storage Card (should be under My Pocket PC).

7. Right-click on the Storage Card folder and click Paste.

8. Now that the GPX file(s) is on your iPaq, open GPXView. A list of all the GPX files you copied to your iPaq will come up.

9. Tap on a GPX file. If it contains multiple listings you will see a list of the cache listing files. These can be sorted in several ways by tapping on the heading. Once you tap on the listing file name, you will be able to read the listing. The hint, if there is one, will be on a second page so as not to spoil the listing.

10. To upload GPX files to your GPS from your iPaq (you can also do this directly from your PC if you want):

A. Open G7toCE.

B. Tap File

C. Tap Open

D. Tap the GPX file you would like to upload

E. Tap Wpt

F. Tap List

G. Disconnect your iPaq from your PC and connect it to your GPS with a cable like this http://www.thesupplynet.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=6915 (find the one for your model iPaq)

H. Make sure you GPS is turned on and the communication protocol is set to Garmin (for Garmin GPS's)

I. In G7toCE, tap GPS>Upload

Hope that helps.