Puzzle Cache Help

TeamGeoduck

I have no clue on the kestral one. For the Olives, maybe try looking up the numeric value of the color olive in html. Do a google search on "html color names." I'm not sure if it will help but it's a start.

If your forehead starts to get calloused from banging it against the wall, why not email the owner for a hint?

I'm terrible at solving puzzle caches. It takes me weeks to solve even a simple one. By that time I've banged all the keys off my keyboard.

I looked at "Olives are Good" and frankly I have no idea where to begin on that one. It's just a big olive square. Try a google search on picture or color puzzles. Email the cache owner or someone who has figured out the puzzle already they might give you a subtle hint. It's been my experience that I tend to make things more dificult than necessary. It's probably something really simple and maybe you just need to think outside that olive square.

I could be completely wrong too.

I see many puzzle caches that I just don't understand where to start. Like "Kestrel Trap" and "Olives are good" to start. Is there some big secret to understanding how to solve these kinds of puzzles? Please help.

I'm pretty sure I know how to solve the Olives are good cache. I found a similar cache here in So-Cal. As for Jackie & Bob caches, they are tricky. I met Bob when he lived out here, and his puzzle caches can get down right evil at times. :blink: He is very cool, so e-mail him if you get stuck. Tell him ShowStop said hi! :blink:

There's no set trick to puzzles. They're all individual. Ever play games like Pictionary or Blurt? There's no one trick to getting everything right. Sometimes you just got to get inside the head of the person devising the puzzle. Some people get it right away, some never do.

Slightly off topic: while it's OK to ask in general about puzzles, it's usually considered bad form to ask for solutions to particular puzzles. After all, the hider wanted to create a puzzle for you to solve, not something where everyone can just go and ask for the answer. If you're looking for a clue, ask the owner. If they want clues given, they should give them - not the forums.

Edited by Markwell

Hee Hee... I looked at the page for the olive one and it gave me an evil idea for a puzzle. Then I thought..."that can't be the solution to this one, can it?" Checked, and it sure is. Dang! I thought I had an original idea for a near impossible puzzle. :(

I know I'm new to this, but should we be giving hints in the forums? Isn't it better to ask the hider?

I know I'm new to this, but should we be giving hints in the forums? Isn't it better to ask the hider?

We can talk generally about puzzle caches, but not give away answers to a specific cache.

Seeing as this is a fairly general discussion about how to solve PCs of any kind, it's all good.

I see many puzzle caches that I just don't understand where to start.  Like "Kestrel Trap" and "Olives are good" to start.  Is there some big secret to understanding how to solve these kinds of puzzles?  Please help.

I'm pretty sure I know how to solve the Olives are good cache. I found a similar cache here in So-Cal. As for Jackie & Bob caches, they are tricky. I met Bob when he lived out here, and his puzzle caches can get down right evil at times. :( He is very cool, so e-mail him if you get stuck. Tell him ShowStop said hi! :(

ShowStop.... me EVIL? I think I know of the puzzle you speak of. Now that I'm retired I have even more time to think about puzzles. Say hi to my So. Cal. geofriends. Kestrel Trap... the owner of that one is a good friend of mine. We like puzzles.

Kestrel puzzle... I analyzed the heck out of this one because of the patterns of repeating characters. Then I just stared at it until my eyes crossed and it got blurry and there was the answer right in front of me the whole time. Kind of reminds me of the cliche about not seeing the forest for the trees.

Kestrel is just lame IMHO....

1) No HINT!?! come on, if you solved it without a hint it was pure dumb luck.

At least an off hand clue in the description would have been nice.

2) Cannot be solved within the typical browser.

3) Not PHYSICALLY possible to be solved by a fair percentage of the population.

BTW, yes I did solve it... using the subtle clue give here in the forums. If I lived in the area I still wouldn't go find it.

Edited by audion64

BTW, yes I did solve it... using the subtle clue give here in the forums. If I lived in the area I still wouldn't go find it.

1) A lot of puzzle cache makers don't like to give any hints on the cache page until someone finds it. And even then he/she may decide to leave the puzzle as is for all those that come later. The owner of this cache will gladly give out very subtle hints or tell you if you are on the right track if you email him.

2)What is a typical browser? I solved it and I use Internet Explorer. I'd say that is a fairly typical browser.

3)This is a fair statement. I know for a fact that someone who wasn't able to solve it the correct way, was given another way to solve it by email from the cache owner.

1) There _IS_ an extremely subtle clue on the cache page.

2) I solved it with IE, choice of 90% (and falling) of the browsing world. It sucks with Firefox, agreed. However, if you know what type of puzzle it is, you have alternatives.

3) For those not 'physically possible' to solve this type of cache: Just as there are ways to create this puzzle, there are ways to uncreate it. Three different methods come to mind and don't require the 'physical' method to see the solution.

come on, if you solved it without a hint it was pure dumb luck.

I don't believe it was dumb luck. I see it more a scientific deduction. There are a multitude of ways the coordinates could be hidden in a puzzle like this. To solve a puzzle the solver needs to eliminate methods that could not be used and focus on those that are potentially the solution. After going down the road of trying to decipher the patterns, I brought in an extra brain and pair of eyes. During this discussion many potential solutions were discussed including the correct one. Dumb luck? Not for a couple of geeks. :lol:

I think I would have a very hard time with puzzle Caches. I think I will hold off on this for a long time. :lol:

Roger

Roger, the two puzzle caches that have been discussed in this thread are particularly tricky. I have seen (and hidden) many others that are far easier.

Many puzzle caches provide all the information that a beginner will need to solve the puzzle.