Keeping Track Of Finds

Jamie Z

I was chatting with Woof! the other day and she devised what I thought was a very clever way to keep track of your finds during a cache run.

Since I'm a forum junkie, and she isn't, I thought I'd post this technique on her behalf for others to benefit. Here's how it works:

Woof! went on a cache run one day where she found oodles of caches. After each cache she would delete the waypoint from her GPS. When she got home, she wondered how she could easily recall which caches she'd found.

She loaded all the remaining waypoints from her GPS into a blank GSAK database. This gave her a list of all the caches she didn't find. Next, she user-checked all those caches in GSAK.

Now she cleared the GPS memory and reloaded the original waypoint set from the beginning of the day. Then once again sent these waypoints to the same GSAK database.

She created a GSAK filter for all waypoints which aren't user-checked. Voila, a list in GSAK of all the caches she found that day.

Jamie

I use Cachemate to keep track of my finds. Every time I find a cache, I check the found box for the particular cache in question.

To keep my finds in order, I add a two digit number to the front of the cache name. This way, the found list will be in the order that I found them.

My first cache would be 01cache, my second would be 02cache, etc.

This is much faster than uploading unfound caches back to GSAK.

As mentioned in this thread, I take digital pics of the GPS display (which, because of the way I load my waypoints, has the GC# displayed), my log, and the cache. Since digital "film" is virtually free, I take lots more pictures then ever get uploaded to the cache page. When I go to log, I use these pics to remember what cache I did, and also what I wrote in the log. It also helps me figure out what pics go with what cache when I have a ton of them to log.

I use Cachemate to keep track of my finds. Every time I find a cache, I check the found box for the particular cache in question.

To keep my finds in order, I add a two digit number to the front of the cache name. This way, the found list will be in the order that I found them.

My first cache would be 01cache, my second would be 02cache, etc.

This is much faster than uploading unfound caches back to GSAK.

Keeping 'finds' in order can also be accomplished without altering the waypoint name.

If you select 'Found' & 'Mark time' on the CacheMate log page the record is placed in the 'Temp' category with your notes and a timestamp.

At the end of a days caching simply select 'Export Logs' and a chronological list of caches found and their associated notes are placed as memo pad entries.

I then cut & paste to the relevant GSAK semi-auto logging window.

Use Cachemate and check the "found" box and hit the "mark time" button for each cache you find.

Then when you get back from caching with your Palm:

1) Sync your Palm with your PC. It will update the pdb file that you uploaded to your Palm with all the finds in that pdb file from your Cachemate database. The easiest way to locate the file is to do a search on your PC (hit F3) for "*cMat.pdb". For example, my file for the Palm Springs trip was called "DesertItems-cMat"

2) Go to the Express Logger website

3) Where it says "Log file:" click on "Browse" and find your pdb file and hit "Start Logging".

4) Wait for it to load all the caches on the left side of the screen. It will take a few minutes.

5) Click on the little pencil icon next to the happy face icon above the cache you want to log and it will open the logging page for that cache in a new window.

6) Log the cache like normal and close the window and move on to the

next one in the list on the left.

Edit: I forgot to mention the best part. With this system I have been able to log 3-4 caches/minute! Of course to hit that speed I had to cut and paste the same basic text into each cache log.

Edited by TrailGators

I log my finds on my sidekick if I have cell service. This, however is counter productive if you are a number puncher type. When I don't have service, I type up an email of my log with the waypoint in the subject. When I get service next, I can copy and paste from the email drafts that I've saved and enter them.

As you can imagine, I was just crushed during the recent sidekick blackout of 2005. Today my sidekick was functioning again, finally, and I celebrated and found 3 caches today.

--Marky

Here goes for 60C/CS and 76C/CS:

When you clicked the FOUND button on the Geocache screen, then it becomes the open chest icon. Now go to FIND, and then select the geocache waypoint you just done, then go into the waypoint note, and from the end of the note, backspace about 5 digits, and type in the current TIME into the waypoint note then just hit ENTER. When you get home, and see the OPEN Chests in todays calender date on the GPS, then go into each of those waypoints that were found, and log the time of the FIND on the cache's webpage.

All other Garmins:

When you find a cache, you can create a new waypoint at the moment you find the cache, then call the waypoint a single digit waypoint name like 1, 2, 3 etc.

The Garmin should show in these just created waypoints, the position you found the actual cache, and the Date and Time in the Waypoint Note of the Just created waypoint.-

Edited for spelling.

Edited by GOT GPS?
Here goes for 60C/CS and 76C/CS:

When you clicked the FOUND button on the Geocache screen, then it becomes the open chest icon. Now go to FIND, and then select the geocache waypoint you just done, then go into the waypoint note, and from the end of the note, backspace about 5 digits, and type in the current TIME into the waypoint note then just hit ENTER. When you get home, and see the OPEN Chests in todays calender date on the GPS, then go into each of those waypoints that were found, and log the time of the FIND on the cache's webpage.

All other Garmins:

When you find a cache, you can create a new waypoint at the moment you find the cache, then call the waypoint a single digit waypoint name like 1, 2, 3 etc.

The Garmin should show in these just created waypoints, the position you found the actual cache, and the Date and Time in the Waypoint Note of the Just created waypoint.-

Edited for spelling.

I do that too but that method doesn't let you easily enter any text to remember the cache later. At least marking founds in Cachemate let's you jot down a few words to remember the cache and let's you record whether or not you left/took a TB. Plus when you use the Express Logger you see all this info and you can really crank through your finds! I logged 134 caches from our Palm Springs trip this past weekend in less than an hour! I had to wait to log until Monday because the site is always super slow on Sunday nights.

This, however is counter productive if you are a number puncher type.

You don't have to be a number puncher to want to move fast while out caching. There are different types of caching styles out there, obviously, and my personality happens to put me in the restless category. I just don't like to sit still or wait around when there is something else I'd rather be doing.

I only bring this up because I wanted to illustrate the benefits my method of logging my finds has for me. During my most recent caching trip in Palm Springs, there was almost no need to use my palm. (I don't like cachemate anyway, I use plucker, but that's a whole different thread) Using my palm would have slowed us down. So, the fastest thing to do while out there was to delete the waypoint.

Another benefit for deleting the waypoint is that the screen becomes less and less cluttered with caches the more you find. When you're finding 90+ caches in one day in the same area, it would be very confusing if you kept both the caches you haven't found and found in the gps.

Edited by Woof!

You don't have to be a number puncher to want to move fast while out caching. There are different types of caching styles out there, obviously, and my personality happens to put me in the restless category. I just don't like to sit still or wait around when there is something else I'd rather be doing.

When Joani and I are caching by ourselves, it doesn't ever feel like we are sitting still or waiting around. Plus, I never want to be moving fast while out caching. That sounds too much like work. I want to be able to go slow and take in the surroundings. I want to be able to jot down notes at the cache site (and log the find, if possible). Of course, this might be because we are old and slow. When ever we cache in a group we are usually the ones slowing everyone down.

The great thing about caching is that everyone can make of it what they want. I already do delete all the waypoints as I go, just to 'clean up' my map, like you said. Your technique is a good one, but doesn't collect any of the data that I like to enter, such as time of log, what happened during the search, etc. If it works for you, thats great. I think a lot of people might find that method helpful. It doesn't help me in the way I like to log my finds though.

--Marky

I change the waypoint icon in my GPSr and either write a short note in the PDA or make a voice recording on my cell phone.

I never thought about using the voice note capability of my Zire 72 to 'take notes' at the cache site. Still, I really don't like logging find at home, so this is still not a great option for me. When we stop geocaching for the day, I love the fact that I don't have to go log all my finds. My find rate has gone down since I got my sidekick, but my enjoyment level has gone up, and that's what's important to me. :(

--Marky

I only bring this up because I wanted to illustrate the benefits my method of logging my finds has for me. During my most recent caching trip in Palm Springs, there was almost no need to use my palm. (I don't like cachemate anyway, I use plucker, but that's a whole different thread) Using my palm would have slowed us down. So, the fastest thing to do while out there was to delete the waypoint.

Another benefit for deleting the waypoint is that the screen becomes less and less cluttered with caches the more you find. When you're finding 90+ caches in one day in the same area, it would be very confusing if you kept both the caches you haven't found and found in the gps.

I do wish there was an option to hide your founds with the 60CS but that is another thread I'm sure. But if you open mapsource and then sync your geepus when you get back from caching you can see all the open treasure chest's on the map as well as the tracks connecting them all. It looks pretty cool! Then you can sort the list on the left to delete the unopened treasure chests leaving you with a nice found list. However, like Marky I usually prefer to jot down a few notes while I am caching, so I use Cachemate. But like Woof! I don't like to slow down too much so I usually end up tripping over rocks while I try to jot the notes down as I am walking to the next cache. :(

Edited by TrailGators

I do wish there was an option to hide your founds with the 60CS but that is another thread I'm sure.

From what I recall doesn't a 'Found' cache go to the 'Recent finds' list on the 60CS so that when you next select 'Find/Geocache' a 'Found' one doesn't show in the list? - (Or do you mean something else)

I do wish there was an option to hide your founds with the 60CS but that is another thread I'm sure.

From what I recall doesn't a 'Found' cache go to the 'Recent finds' list on the 60CS so that when you next select 'Find/Geocache' a 'Found' one doesn't show in the list? - (Or do you mean something else)

I was referring to what Woof! wrote: "Another benefit for deleting the waypoint is that the screen becomes less and less cluttered with caches the more you find. When you're finding 90+ caches in one day in the same area, it would be very confusing if you kept both the caches you haven't found and found in the gps."

So when you are using the map feature it would be nice to turn off the founds!

I found that setting the "geocache found" mode to "small city" and turning off the labels was most satisfying when recently caching in an extremely high density area where I didn't care about the name of the cache and was just always heading toward whereever the most caches remained.

Got GPS's approach for the "C" models is pretty close to the one I use. Note that the entries are sorted in reverse time order, so you have to start logging from the bottom of the page. Oh, and you have to change the icon on a DNF to avoid "goto next geocache" from pulling you back to that one that skunked you. This does require more keystrokes than I wish, but it's not terrible.

I really do need to make a mode for GPSBabel, though, that beats a GPX file against the waypoints in a receiver, smacks it agsinst the track log, and then presents an HTML file, sorted in timestamp order, of waypoints you were near. Before my turbo logger got broken, I could have even populated the 'found/not found' and dates...

Before my turbo logger got broken, I could have even populated the 'found/not found' and dates...

Tell me more about this turbologger! :(

It was great when it worked. At my stride, I could log about six caches per minute via an efficient, though spartan, interface. Then the site's logging interface became more actively hostile to use by both humans and programmers which means we now have to load multiple pages and do mutliple edits on every received page before logging it while wondering why the site starts coughing up blood when lots of folks are logging. When logging a big trip, the difference between 10 seconds per log and 2 minutes per log (more if it's on a sunday and involves timeouts and retries) is a big difference.

Search for posts from "robertlipe" in all forums as posts containing the word "viewstate" and this one for more of my bitter ramblings on this subject dating back to '03.

Having recently logged 350-ish caches on a trip, this is a subject I've been meaning to revisit, even if it means oiling up http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/ to edit away the newly annoying "I'll only open this page in the top frame" and and edit the log to set the date== last date found and default to "found it" and to reset the log window so that scrolling is less likely to be necessary on a small (1024x768) browser window. Then for extra credit, I'd add links to the nearest unfound caches since those are most likely to be the ones I'm going to log next.

"Minor" usability improvements on that page would make a LARGE difference in logging efficiency.

Before my turbo logger got broken, I could have even populated the 'found/not found' and dates...

Tell me more about this turbologger! :lol:

It was great when it worked. At my stride, I could log about six caches per minute via an efficient, though spartan, interface. Then the site's logging interface became more actively hostile to use by both humans and programmers which means we now have to load multiple pages and do mutliple edits on every received page before logging it while wondering why the site starts coughing up blood when lots of folks are logging. When logging a big trip, the difference between 10 seconds per log and 2 minutes per log (more if it's on a sunday and involves timeouts and retries) is a big difference.

Search for posts from "robertlipe" in all forums as posts containing the word "viewstate" and this one for more of my bitter ramblings on this subject dating back to '03.

Having recently logged 350-ish caches on a trip, this is a subject I've been meaning to revisit, even if it means oiling up http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/ to edit away the newly annoying "I'll only open this page in the top frame" and and edit the log to set the date== last date found and default to "found it" and to reset the log window so that scrolling is less likely to be necessary on a small (1024x768) browser window. Then for extra credit, I'd add links to the nearest unfound caches since those are most likely to be the ones I'm going to log next.

"Minor" usability improvements on that page would make a LARGE difference in logging efficiency.

So I guess right now that Boulter's "Express Logger" (mentioned above) is the only game in town. On of the cool thinkgs about that one is that one you can share your pdb file with your caching buddies when you get back. So you only need one person in the group to keep track of the finds.

I generally only ever set out to find caches on my GSAK hitlist. I log the caches contemporaneously in GPXSonar, so there is no writing necessary when I get home either. I export the notes and bring them into GSAK. I also delete the cache from Mapopolis - so it's no longer on the map.

The only problem is I also have notes on some caches in my hitlist which are still in progress or are repeat no-finds.

Anyway, ignoring any of those which I didn't finally (wonderfully) find, I go to the ones with notes and log the caches online. Then I simply remove them from my hitlist (uncheck user flag), and also usually uncheck watch, too.

On a legend C when in Geocaching mode, on the compass page you just select the found box at the bottom of the page. When you do this it puts it on a chronological list on that day on the calendar.

I used to use Cachemate to move that waypoint record to a database called "Found". After logging them in @ GC.com just erase it and be ready to go again.

I use Cache Log Book on my pda to record my finds (and non finds). I find that the notes field really helps me remember each cache to allow for more complete logs.

I really like Mopar's idea. I wouldn't use it for this purpose, but I don't know how many times I've been caching (or just being a tourist) and couldn't remamber exactly what cache (or piece of architecture) my pics were of. Of course, implementation of this idea will require me to go back to a digital camera, so it will have to wait. I hate my old digital, can't yet afford to buy the digital rebel, and my wife has implemented the rule that her new camera is not for geocaching.

Edited by sbell111