Black Bears

Peconic Bay Sailors

Take care in the woods this time of year... it is the time that black bears & their cubs will be coming out of the winter den...

If you see a baby black bear...

keep a sharp eye out for the mother and try to get out of the area asap...

Yoo don't want mama bear to think you are threatening it's cubs...

In other words, be very careful around most of my caches as many are hidden in areas with heavy bear populations. :blink:

Unfortunately, an individual has no control over other peoples contact with any bear they may encounter. The chances are much greater of encountering a bear habituated to humans in densely populated areas. It is these bears, that have learned to view humans as food sources, that are the greatest threat. I wouldn't be afraid to go in the woods in these areas, and I wouldn't assume that every bear is dangerous, but any bear that approached me, instead of running away, I would consider to be dangerous.

As the website points out, you shouldn't run, because this may trigger pursuit, and you couldn't out run a Blackbear anyway, nor could you escape by climbing a tree. Staring into the bears eyes could be viewed by the bear as aggression, so try and avert your stare. I carry a very loud whistle in a pouch on my pack belt, and would blow this as I backed away, if the bear kept coming.

To be fair to the bears and not cause an over-reaction, most want absolutely nothing to do with you. I estimate that I had 25 bear encounters last year (most while on my mountain bike), the majority take a quick look at you and move on. For the two that did not and took a few extra steps, yelling loudly was enough to get them to turn. But I always carry bear mace in case I get in a situation where they don't turn. Pleased to say I never had to use it on a bear.

The best deterrent, hike with a partner or group in bear populated areas and strike up a good conversation as you walk along. They'll hear you and keep away.

The best deterrent, hike with a partner or group in bear populated areas and strike up a good conversation as you walk along. They'll hear you and keep away.

I carry a nice, big Porterhouse steak with me and if attacked I throw it at them and run away. For some reason I've been getting attacked every stinking week - by the same bear. :lol:

I carry a nice, big Porterhouse steak with me and if attacked I throw it at them and run away. For some reason I've been getting attacked every stinking week - by the same bear. :lol:

Judging from the pictures on the wall at Skully & Mulders event for StayFloopy's 3000th, you must be a cook at Sneaky Pete's for you day job. :o