Help! Where have I gone wrong with GPS?

Guest techtreker

Guest techtreker

I am using a Garmen etrex. Map Datum = WGS 84 and Positions Format = hddd*mm.mmm'. When I enter one of my position coords on topozone.com its off by maybe 20+/- miles.

Where have I gone wrong?

Guest techtreker

Thanks, but I don't think thats it. Maybe I shouldn't be trying to verify locations with the topozone map. I don't have any problems finding my way with the etrex. I just want to verify a cache I hid before I report it.

Guest bob_renner

quote:
Originally posted by techtreker:

I am using a Garmen etrex. Map Datum = WGS 84 and Positions Format = hddd*mm.mmm'. When I enter one of my position coords on topozone.com its off by maybe 20+/- miles.

Where have I gone wrong?

WGS84 vs NAD27 will not give you 20 mile difference. I think your error is in the format of the coordinates you gave to topozone. IIRC they want the coordinates in HDDD.DDDDD° format and not HDDD° MM.MMM' format. When you click on a cache page link to topozone, geocaching.com will convert the coordinates to the proper format. If you enter your own coordinates into topozone, you need to make sure they are in the right format. The easiest way to convert the waypoint is via your GPS. Otherwise do the following:

HDDD° MM.MMM' -> take MM.MMM / 60 to get .DDDDD

Append to HDDD to get HDDD.DDDDD

Bob Renner