New Case For 60 Series!

Vlad

Just saw Garmins new case for the 60's today and it is nice. It has a cutout for the antenna on top, a hole for the button in the back (the case does not impede the button at all - which should mean it will work in the different mounts - read on for more on this), the front has a clear plastic which provides easy visibility of the screen and the buttons, the buttons are easy to press, the rocker is a little bit impeded by the stickiness of the plastic but it's definately not a big problem, the case also velcros together at the bottom (which should mean that the unit can remain in the case even if i'm using it in one of the car/bike/whatever mounts - will advise further tomorrow). The case sides are a vinyl-like material, and the back appears to be a neoprene. Excellent quality all around - looks like a very good new accessory for those of you with 60's.

Have fun!

edit: Garmin part number 010-10578-00

Edited by Vlad

i don't have a picture but there was another thread just recently that had drawings. it's basically what people have wanted - a case that protects the gps while simultaneously allowing one to use the gps. it's nice - you'll like it.

further to my previous post - the gps inside the case can be snapped into garmin's bike, car, marine, windshield etc mounts but it is very tight. probably better to remove from the case before putting the unit into the mount. i'm not sure that maybe extended use in case and on mount might compress the material somewhat and make it less tight but i don't think i will do that with mine. :(

Just an FYI,

I have the GPSMAP 60CS and the BE130 Sharkskin case (a neoprene case). I had been using the case along with the carmount and eventually the plastic bracket that the 60CS snaps into split at the top where the bracket fits over the holster button of the 60CS.

It looks like the neoprene adds too much material between the 60CS and the bracket and the fit was too tight causing the plastic to crack and split over time.

My bracket is still usable and I don't use it and the case at the same time, but the gps is a little bit loose in the bracket now. Unless Garmin specifically recommends using the case along with their brackets I would use caution.

Your mileage may vary,

Team of Wheat

Can the external antenna wire be hooked up and run neatly out of the case?

YES! edit - that is for the Gilsson case

The 60 slides in from the top - it bothered me that it was an open 'envelope' no strap across top (see below)

there is a hole for the nav. button

the clear vinyl cover sticks to the screen so run your finger in there to break the seal before trying to remove from case

case has a dip for the clip button - easy to open the rubber plug insert right angle antenna connector.

The clip is large but not in the way for me. I don't use it. The velcro loop below that is nice to stick my finger in when I am walking.

I like having a case on it and for $12 it was way worth it. Will check out the new one when I can see it - what is the price at Garmin?

Edited by CompuCash
[Thats a nice case and a nice price, but does anyone know if you can take that huge clip in the back off?]

Yep....I know!!

Can't be done!!

(well....not without force anyway.. :ninja: )

Thanks, I think I will buy one anyway and just help that hook off :ninja: or maybe I will like who knows but from the picture it looks like it will just be in the way.

check out gpsgeek http://www.gpsgeek.com/page5.html  scroll to the bottom and you will see the case for the 60c/cs. price looks real good too.

Thats a nice case and a nice price, but does anyone know if you can take that huge clip in the back off?

Well, I ordered one also, and didn't like the big clip all the time but did want it when I used my fishing vest. SO what I did was cut the strap that held the clip on to remove it, and now when I need it back on, I slide the velcro strap thru the clip and it works fine for me....

I ordered my new Map60C/S case and got it today! Was only $11.31 (plus shipping) from Axentmicro.com. Very nice, fits like a glove and is easy to touch all the buttons. The antenna protrudes thru an openning, as well as the lanyard. Has the hole for the belt-clip knob clippy thing. I highly recommend it.

Front View

P3170020a.jpg

Back View

P3170018a.jpg

Edited by Timpat
I ordered my new Map60C/S case and got it today!  Was only $11.31 (plus shipping) from Axentmicro.com.  Very nice, fits like a glove and is easy to touch all the buttons. The antenna protrudes thru an openning, as well as the lanyard.  Has the hole for the belt-clip knob clippy thing. I highly recommend it.

Went to look for this case and couldn't find it. Where on the site is this item located?

Avrohead

I got the gpsgeek case,

it's nice but I still can't get used to having it in there.

so now i'm getting scratches on the screen. Oh well

Try using a PDA screen protector. Put the GPS on a scanner or photocopier to get a shot of the screen to use as a template then cut them out and apply.

Works great, and mine has been on a year though it could use a new one. Guess I'll do that while the firmware is updating.

:blink:

I wonder how the Velcro at the bottom will hold up I just don't want to see the gps fall out of the bottom of the case

thanks for the pictures I will order one

don't think you have to worry about it falling out for 2 reasons -

- a - the belt clip knob on the back

- b - the contact fo the vinyl to the screen - makes it hard to get out. you have to break that seal to slide it out.

Got the case last night. Fast service! I didn't like that the plastic covered the buttons and made them hard to press, so I cut a hole for the buttons and protected the exposed edge of the plastic with duct tape. Looks like it will hold up. Other than that and the fact I have to take the case off to use the USB connection, very nice.

I don't have to worry about cutting down PDA screen protectors every few weeks to protect the display.

i just bought the case above. it's going to replace my glisson case. anybody want a glisson case in good condition. the clip on the back has been removed here are pics.

Back with clip removed (permanently)

7e0ae997-76b3-4be1-82fe-73a7acbc2af0.jpg

Front of case (check out my mileage :anitongue: )

28d629bc-47d1-4fde-b7d7-8646b88d12dd.jpg

Edited by WxGuesser