Great Alaska Cache And Dash

CENT5

I favor quality over quantity too, because I have never been to Alaska and want to max out on the experience. I'd also like for the trip be a full experience for everyone in the group, with no one feeling left out of anything. I don't think I'm in good enough shape to scale a mountain peak, but have always been able to keep up with anyone I've gone caching with. I'll do my best with whatever is decided!

I am so excited, this is going to be a *BLAST*!!!

Cent5, are ya sure you don't want to send me up there later for some cache maintenance? :D;);)

I FAVOR QUALITY OVER QUANTITY AS WELL, WE HAVE LOTS TO CHOOSE FROM, I AM NOT IN SHAPE FOR A CACHE MACHINE AS WELL AS TO HIKE UP TO THE TOP OF MOUNTAIN, BUT I CAN DO ANY THING I SET MY MINE TO, I DONT WANT TO BRING THE TEAM DOWN, AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO KEEP IT FUN FOR ALL AS WELL. PLACING CACHES UP THERE SOUND LIKE FUN, I AM IN FOR THAT, MIRCO.. MAGNETIC... FILM CANS... SMALL LOCK-N-LOCKS. I WILL BE PREPARED. AS FOR DRIVING I AVERAGE ABOUT 500.0 MILES A WEEK SO I WILL BE HAPPY TO SHARE TIME IF NEEDED.

Maintenance is, of course, an issue.  We would likely have to ask our Alaska counterparts for some assistance on this.

No worries on cache maintenance...you'll be covered.

Keep in mind, wherever we place a cache is likely to be under feet of snow within weeks if not days after we depart and may not be found until spring.  So prepare your caches for the worst Mother Nature can dish out.

Four season findability can be achieved by either hanging/placing 3 or more feet from the ground or give a really good hint. Shovelman, RLTW, Cav Scout and I spent a good part of last winter skiing or snowshoeing to caches and finding them under 2-3 feet of snow. I've got a couple of big ammo cans hung in spruce trees that have worked out well. Sometimes five feet isn't enough...check out the photo gallery for my April log at Panorama.

I've seen Prying Pandoras work and I'm sure given a set of Coords, globalgirl could whip up a puzzle cache that will twist the sanest minds.

Ouch, ouch, ouch...my head already hurts, but bring it on!!!

Being a data oriented person and wishing to provide as quality a caching experience as I can to go along with meeting our friends from up north I'm starting to bump into some realities. Wasn't there an old film called Reality Bites?

We have almost exactly 60 hours on the ground in Alaska. (9AM Tue until 9PM Thur) I'm sure all the young bucks can go 60 at a crack but I need to get 12-15 hours rest over the 2.5 days leaving 45-48 hours ground time.

The round trip to FAI is minimum 720 miles via the parks Hwy. Throw in the Talkeetna Spur and any minimal side trip and you are rapidly pushing 800 miles. If we did the Glenn/Richardson Hwy up and Parks Hwy back thats 800 Miles period. Add caching in and around ANC and we are looking at 900+ miles EASY. Even averaging 60 mph thats 15 hours of driving. Most of it in daylight. Thats a full 1/3rd of our available ground time and probably a full 50%+ of our daylight hours.

Is this realistic for a quality caching experience? As badly as I want to get to FAI I think we need to explore the possibility of throttling back a notch and get more daylight "feet on the ground" time into the schedule. Should we take FAI out of the mix and base out of ANC/Palmer area we can open ourselves to more challenging caches. The Conspiracy of Ravens Ermine Hill Trail series looks extremely challenging for a day hike and the Talkeetna Spur caches are still on my "MUST DO" list.

Your thoughts please.

I was picking through my selection of footgear for the trip and have come to the conclusion the footgear in my closet is in bad need of an upgrade. My boots all average 15-18 years in age and are, at best getting a bit thin. (My old Hanweg's are pushing 30 but the toebox is crushed and it seems time to let those memories go.)

The plethora of midweight waterproof boots available is blowing my mind so I thought I'd go to the experts for some direction. I have a wide foot and I prefer a high top. I will have scant time to break these in. (Maybe get 15-20 miles on them before the trip.) I'm not afraid to spend a few bucks but would like to keep it under $200.00

Advise please. I don't want to hijack the thread or open a discussion so please e-mail recommendations and if you know where I can buy a set send that also. Thanks.

Edited by CENT5

First forum post - patience

Awesome contest - Happy to be on the team - Thank you so much Cent 5

Sorry so late with a post - have been on vacation with the family (still have two days left) - rode a 3 seater SeaDoo with two friends 40 miles (yes 40) one way up Lake Chelan to do the Graham Harbor Cache - did 3 more on the way home boat only accessi ble

I like quality - we can drive far - we can drive little - quality sounds better than quantity

Tangent - I found some caches that Moun10Bike's name was not in the log book

Should be an awesome trip whatever we do - I have never hidden a cache - love the pressure of that

Thanks again Cent 5 - go team!!!!

Sorry so late with a post - have been on vacation with the family (still have two days left) - rode a 3 seater SeaDoo with two friends 40 miles (yes 40) one way up Lake Chelan to do the Graham Harbor Cache - did 3 more on the way home boat only accessi ble

Must be this one. Graham Harbor. I look forward to the logs of your adventure up and down the lake. There are several caches I have been eyeballing over there but the 14' would be a slug getting down the lake compared to a SeaDoo.

Hmm... so ACD 2 should be 7 days?

Seriously, I am glad you guys are planning this out ahead of time. This is an unique opportunity, and one for the memory books.

I admit I am jealous of you guys, but cannot wait to hear all the stories. Especially from GG if she gets to write it out.....

SilentNW

PS... say it again, Cent5, you ROCK!

...but cannot wait to hear all the stories. Especially from GG if she gets to write it out.....

Well gosh - no pressure there, SNW - nope, nuh-uh :( But trust that the g-girl shall do her level best to spew a goodly gaggle of blather on the collective antics of nine sleep-deprived (and depraved) geozanies let loose in the wilds of the North.

And it also occurs to me - I'd be happy to whittle a special cache page background and/or an official "ACD" icon for the caches that we plop on this momentous adventure. Each cache will no doubt be unique, but just something to unify all graphically as the The Great 2005 ACD Adventure!

I have been lurking in the background watching your event unfold.  I would love to meet you guys when you come to Alaska! How exciting!

MamaMouse

Looking forward to meeting you also. Congrats on your recent 100th find. I suspect there are a few more lurkers out there and any and all are welcome to chime in with their personal favorites. All input for our trip will be most welcome. It's a little after 6 AM and it's hard to believe in exactly 3 weeks we should be 'Wheels Up" headed North.

I've just started a bookmark list List of what I consider some of the most promising caching experiences (and views) in the ANC area.

We have a most welcome "meet and greet" with ANC area people at Gwennies. 10AM till 11AM or so. I think we need to keep the 1st day "relatively" close in to ANC and I am looking at McHugh View II and McHugh View as worthy possibilities for "take the edge off" 1st targets. The cache pages say 3 hours. I'm thinking closer to 4 as I plan to take my time to keep my knees and back intact for the trip. That would put us close to 4PM back at the vehicles at which point we could head back toward ANC and possibly Kincaid Park where we could cache away until our 7PM ish evening meet and dinner, war stories and drinks with our AK hosts.

The night caches in ANC look like a hoot and would be a fitting ending to the day.

globalgirl and I are going to try to get into a reasonable range so we can hit our 200 and 500 milestones during our trip.

At some point on day 1 we need to hit a grocery store for supplies as I intend to bring a cooler for lunches so we do not have to plan meals mid-day around day 2 and 3.

There are so many wonderful possibilities in the ANC/Eagle River area I think that FAI is definitely off the table. If the weather is very nice we may still want to do the Talkeetna Spur and Conspiracy of Ravens Ermine Hill series, but it is a 300 mile round trip.

Just my initial thoughts. We have lots of time to nail things down but I'm pretty cranked up about this so thought I toss some things out.

...I am looking at...McHugh View as worthy possibilities...

Errr... now I KNOW we're headed for the wilds of one of the last great paradises on earth, but...

There's just this one wee blurb on the cache page that uh, gives the globalgirl a tad bit of pause...

"...Bear repellent recomended."

So o.k. - where does one snag the DEET for... large, furry carnivores???!

Bear DEET: $9.67

Jingle bells: $1.35

Alprazolam to quell the terror: $37.41 :unsure:

The chance to romp through the wilds of AK on the GACD 2005? Priceless.

Errr... now I KNOW we're headed for the wilds of one of the last great paradises on earth, but...

There's just this one wee blurb on the cache page that uh, gives the globalgirl a tad bit of pause...

I believe that is also called pepper spray. Just don't try to take it on the airplane with you.

I also seem to remember a story about putting bells on your shoes. Of course that story had a good punch line and I'm sure our Alaskan friends can repeat the story since I don't remember it all.

I believe that is also called pepper spray. Just don't try to take it on the airplane with you.

I also seem to remember a story about putting bells on your shoes. Of course that story had a good punch line and I'm sure our Alaskan friends can repeat the story since I don't remember it all.

I was going to hold back after globalgirl's post, but since WeightMan cracked open the door, I can't help but step through it with several (albeit dubious) bear confrontation survival techniques:

1) Be sure you aren't the slowest one in the group. Sometimes that means wearing running shoes when others are wearing hiking boots.

2) Wear bells to help others recognize bear scat because it will have bells in it.

3) If you carry a handgun, be sure the sight is filed off so it won't hurt so much when the bear shoves it...(<snip>...this is a family site)

But seriously, with as big of a group as you'll have and with all the noise you'll be making, the average bear will be long gone before you get close to it.

For those who don't want to travel unarmed, pepper spray is available for sale at a number of places in Anchorage. Weightman is correct that airlines won't let you check it onto the plane.

I personally never "carry" because my pack is heavy enough and perhaps because I've never been scared enough by one of our many bruins during any of my several dozen backcountry encounters with them. My encounters have always resulted in either the bear running away after realizing I'm human or the bear giving me the opportunity to back down the trail. Seeing a bear on a trip is usually the highlight of the trip. Others I've hiked/camped with always carry, so it's a matter of personal choice.

I've just started a bookmark list List of what I consider some of the most promising caching experiences (and views) in the ANC area.

We have a most welcome "meet and greet" with ANC area people at Gwennies. 10AM till 11AM or so.  I think we need to keep the 1st day "relatively" close in to ANC and I am looking at McHugh View II and McHugh View as worthy possibilities for "take the edge off" 1st targets.  The cache pages say 3 hours.  I'm thinking closer to 4 as I plan to take my time to keep my knees and back intact for the trip. That would put us close to 4PM back at the vehicles at which point we could head back toward ANC and possibly Kincaid Park where we could cache away until our 7PM ish evening meet and dinner, war stories and drinks with our AK hosts.

The night caches in ANC look like a hoot and would be a fitting ending to the day.

globalgirl and I are going to try to get into a reasonable range so we can hit our 200 and 500 milestones during our trip.

At some point on day 1 we need to hit a grocery store for supplies as I intend to bring a cooler for lunches so we do not have to plan meals mid-day around day 2 and 3.

There are so many wonderful possibilities in the ANC/Eagle River area I think that FAI is definitely off the table.  If the weather is very nice we may still want to do the Talkeetna Spur and Conspiracy of Ravens Ermine Hill series, but it is a 300 mile round trip.

Just my initial thoughts.  We have lots of time to nail things down but I'm pretty cranked up about this so thought I toss some things out.

Just wanted to drop a note about Alaskan "trails." Even though Pepper and others don't care for switchbacks, I don't think a lot of these trails were what they have in mind either. Many go straight up the mountainside at 1000' to 2000' per mile and several of the caches listed in Cent5's bookmark list are on off trail alpine routes and scree slopes. That said, these are all in extremely scenic terrain and would be worth the hike alone without a cache.

The Ermine Hill series is one notable exception now that State Parks has put in a set of switchbacks to make the route to the top of the ridge less of an adventure. There are also several caches near "Cache With A View" that go up Powerline Pass which would be a nice hike for bad knees.

Anyway, once you've short listed the view caches/hikes you are interested in, if you want further feedback, we'll be happy to provide it.

For the three night caches, I recommend allowing three hours for the series including drive time.

:huh: I DONT THINK YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO RUN THAT FAST, I'M GOING & I KNOW THAT EVERYONE ELSE IN THE GROUP CAN RUN FASTER THAN ME. BUT I WILL HAVE YOUR & EVERYONES BACK unsure:

:D I DONT THINK YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO RUN THAT FAST, I'M GOING & I KNOW THAT EVERYONE ELSE IN THE GROUP CAN RUN FASTER THAN ME. BUT I WILL HAVE YOUR & EVERYONES BACK :huh:

I AM NOT SURE MY IT WHEN IN TWICE, SORRY

Edited by Lowrider71

I was going to hold back after globalgirl's post, but since WeightMan cracked open the door, I can't help but step through it with several (albeit dubious) bear confrontation survival techniques:

1) Be sure you aren't the slowest one in the group. Sometimes that means wearing running shoes when others are wearing hiking boots.

2) Wear bells to help others recognize bear scat because it will have bells in it.

3) If you carry a handgun, be sure the sight is filed off so it won't hurt so much when the bear shoves it...(<snip>...this is a family site)

But seriously, with as big of a group as you'll have and with all the noise you'll be making, the average bear will be long gone before you get close to it.

For those who don't want to travel unarmed, pepper spray is available for sale at a number of places in Anchorage. Weightman is correct that airlines won't let you check it onto the plane.

I personally never "carry" because my pack is heavy enough and perhaps because I've never been scared enough by one of our many bruins during any of my several dozen backcountry encounters with them. My encounters have always resulted in either the bear running away after realizing I'm human or the bear giving me the opportunity to back down the trail. Seeing a bear on a trip is usually the highlight of the trip. Others I've hiked/camped with always carry, so it's a matter of personal choice.

Having had a few bear encounters in my day. (Black bear at 5 feet scared the bejezus out of me.) and yes it was actually filmed during an outing in the Quetico Superior Nat'l Forest with a High School group the summer of 1969. I had gone into my girlfriends tent to straighten up some things and one of the other girls (Despite specific instruction to the contrary.) had packed a bunch of candy/chocolate in her sleeping bag. The film shows a sow black bear going into the tent followed milliseconds later by my swift departure out the opposite side of the tent. I had my back turned to the door and all I heard was the bear starting to tear into the offending sleeping bag. I looked over my shoulder and exited stage left at a fairly brisk pace. I didn't sleep for 3 days.

I am not concerned much about bears. Given the group size and noise we will be making they will be long gone ahead of us. You do have to maintain an awarenes of your surroundings at all times. (Ya might not want to get the GPR's fixation.)

If the group feels better about having a couple cans of bear spray with us, thats easily purchased after arrival in ANC.

Remember to run downhill. Bears can't run downhill very fast, because a bears front legs are much shorter. Best bet though is to curl into a ball, and play dead, the bear "should" lose interest. The absolute best bet is to carry a gun, and have a friend with you. The gun does not need to be large, even a .22LR will do the job. Just make sure you hit your friend in the leg/foot, so you can out run him or her. :)

Gee - I wondered when folks would 'out' the bear question...

Groups are the best defence against bear interactions in the wild (short of staying home). Noisy groups are even better (not wheezing noises made by us old guys trying to go vertical for 2000' in one mile after a cache, but noise like the kind of chatter this forum had during the selection phase :D ) I don't want to sound like a familiar George Thorogood song, but... 'I cache alone...' most of the time - often with a dog along - and I carry a handgun (as much for moose, dogs & other folks as for bears). I also shoot competitively from time to time, and am very familiar with my limitations and the foolishness of using a short-barreled pistol under duress. Bears... more folks were killed by dogs in the last decade in Alaska than were killed by bears in the last hundred years up here. Sobering thought, but have you ever read the bottom line of Daddy Ladybug's forum posts? He's referring to his stable of dogs... and he's right! Dogs are more dangerous to the uninformed person than the bear that quietly fades into the brush upon hearing humans approaching. Remember that if you cache in dog parks! Dogs are simply far more often encountered in Alaska than bears.

We'll be darn lucky if you guys get to see a bear - but I encountered a black bear at about 50' in Kincaid Park in March, and a black bear at under 30' at Tarzania Cache on the east side a month or so later. Both of them were getting closer to me to see what I was - and I was by myself both times. My wife nearly hit a black bear and two cubs crossing the road while driving in to Kincaid Park to pick my middle daughter up from crosscountry running practice two years ago. The bears are there... trust me! I'll tell ya all the bear stories you never wanted to hear at the evening cache event.

Best thing for all to do is read & reflect on these two fine articles posted on the Alaska Dept of Fish & Game's website. Moose are a more likely wildlife challenge - I've been charged by them several times while caching here in town. The highest density of moose per square mile in Alaska is reportedly found right here in Anchorage - like smaller deer, they enjoy suburban living! Here's those links:

Bears - http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=bears.bearfax

Moose - http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?a...ildlife.agmoose

By the way, moose will be entering the rut during your visit... see the comment about that in the linked article... :D

On another note, here's two bookmark list links I prepared (in part to help with your planning). Conspicuously absent are those caches requiring a hike of over a half an hour anywhere over in Chugach State Park. I'm with Daddy Ladybugs on the desirability of some of the caches along the 'Powerline Trail' near 'Cache with a View' as being good caches to hunt in CSP, simply for time's sake, but these lists were developed to help the 'average' time-impaired visitor find easily-accessed 'good' caches with something usually a bit more intriguing or 'Alaskan' than normal - good trail locale, good wildlife encounter potential (!) or stupendous jaw-dropping views.

By the way, no slam on our well-intentioned, overworked CSP staff (seriously - excellent folks, but they get a nickel to do jobs that a twenty-dollar bill wouldn't cover), but the average 'trail' in Alaska is either a former bulldozer track or a former game trail... there's very few trails outside of the Anchorage City park system that equate to 'trails' I've seen in the lower 48. It's wild out there in the Chugach...

Here's the Anchorage list: http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...34-2bc49d82f634

Here's the Turnagain Arm to Whittier bookmarks: http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...4a-bf6acefd9b00

The former mayor of Whittier is a fellow cacher who'd make your visit special (somehow - just getting to talk with him's pretty special!). BenGe'on is one terrific guy, and he'd love to show you his home town...

So, let us know what questions you have...

On another note, here's two bookmark list links I prepared...

Holy smokes -such fine lists! It's especially nice to read your extra comments on each - very helpful, thanks NW! Plenty to keep us busy 24/7 and looks like a great mix of spectacular hikes, views, clever micros and night hunts - all with lots of inventive twists.

Can't wait to touch down, meet the AK gang, and start snatching boxes!

Fairbanks had its first official August snow since 1969 just before midnight last night.

Are you sure that wasn't smokin' ash? :P Fairbanks has sure had its share of forest fires lately! :P

Beautiful here in Anchorage today... 55º with wall to wall sunshine and a light breeze - what am I doing indoors??? (Oh yeah - mortgage, etc etc). Maybe there's time to get the dog out after class this evening and hunt up a new cache or two... I love being outdoors in late summer/fall weather! (I should be caribou hunting on the Mulchatna right now... :P ) **sigh** Back to 'signs and wonders'....

On another note, here's two bookmark list links I prepared (in part to help with your planning). Conspicuously absent are those caches requiring a hike of over a half an hour anywhere over in Chugach State Park. I'm with Daddy Ladybugs on the desirability of some of the caches along the 'Powerline Trail' near 'Cache with a View' as being good caches to hunt in CSP, simply for time's sake, but these lists were developed to help the 'average' time-impaired visitor find easily-accessed 'good' caches with something usually a bit more intriguing or 'Alaskan' than normal - good trail locale, good wildlife encounter potential (!) or stupendous jaw-dropping views.

By the way, no slam on our well-intentioned, overworked CSP staff (seriously - excellent folks, but they get a nickel to do jobs that a twenty-dollar bill wouldn't cover), but the average 'trail' in Alaska is either a former bulldozer track or a former game trail... there's very few trails outside of the Anchorage City park system that equate to 'trails' I've seen in the lower 48. It's wild out there in the Chugach...

Here's the Anchorage list: http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...34-2bc49d82f634

Here's the Turnagain Arm to Whittier bookmarks: http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...4a-bf6acefd9b00

The former mayor of Whittier is a fellow cacher who'd make your visit special (somehow - just getting to talk with him's pretty special!).  BenGe'on is one terrific guy, and he'd love to show you his home town...

So, let us know what questions you have...

What a fabulous set of caches for us to drool over. I should have more time at work tonight to peruse these lists. Thanks for all your help.

The former mayor of Whittier is a fellow cacher who'd make your visit special (somehow - just getting to talk with him's pretty special!).  BenGe'on is one terrific guy, and he'd love to show you his home town...

I have a tunnel pass I can contribute to the cause if Whittier makes the itinerary. BenGeo'en's sunny disposition definitely makes up for the lack of same in Whittier! How's that Fly By Night Club ditty go? "Nothing is ........., than the weather in Whittier :P." But serious, we'd be remiss if we didn't take the short detour to Whittier while caching along the arm because there aren't many places in the world in a natural setting of glaciers, mile-high mountains, and VERY tall waterfalls right on the coast.

Are you sure that wasn't smokin' ash?  Fairbanks has sure had its share of forest fires lately! 

The smoke and snow did blow through at about the same time. 3.8 million acres burned and still counting to make this year #3 in the all time list. Up to 46 degrees and sunny today.

I love being outdoors in late summer/fall weather!

Yup...no more DEET required until next June :P!!!

Northwes...looks like we'd better get busy so we can celebrate #400 and #300 along with Globalgirl's and Cent5's planned milestones during the ACD.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

WOW lots of stuff to paw through.

The Turnagain Arm Tidal Bore Earthcache may be a bit dicey unless we tried for it the morning of the 22nd which would be a mad early AM scramble to get in place as low tide in ANC is 5:19 AM. Sunrise is 7:44 AM Tide and Current Predictor

Which brings up another issue.

globalgirls daughter is a cacher in Palmer and has graciously offered us a place to stay on our second night. I think the decision to accept will need some thought as to our plans, which are in the beginning stages.

Northwes and LadyBugKids have certainly given us a lot to think about. I’m inclined to think I’m probably not ready for 3 days straight of multiple mile, upslope hikes in rugged terrain. With the superb options presented in the bookmark lists I think we can probably do this without killing ourselves and still get a goodly measure of satisfaction for the group.

Day 1 already proposes to be a VERY long day with our meeting at SEATAC at 4:15-4:30 AM. If we do the night caches in ANC we will be well into 20 hours in the saddle before we get a chance to rest. And I, for one, will certainly need it.

Taking FAI out of the mix certainly takes some pressure off what time we need to get up and roll in the AM of the 2nd day.

If there is an “expeditionary” (2+hour hike) “must do” cache we want to tackle. Day 2 would be the day to do it.

Having traveled extensively, I still consider the road down Turagain Arm to hold some of the most spectacular scenery I have ever seen. The Bookmark list from NorthWes would get my vote for day1 as the caches are reasonably accessible and, trust me on this, the scenery, phenomenal. I have never been to Whittier but it seems that a trip down the Arm to Whittier may not be doable within the time constraints between the AM and PM meet and greet. Mapquest has it as a 2-hour trip one-way, though we will depend on our counterparts for advise.

When preparing for the trip please keep in mind this List of Prohibited Items

The available seats for the flights still look excellent at 95 Northbound and 96 Southbound.

More to come I'm sure.

Having traveled extensively, I still consider the road down Turagain Arm to hold some of the most spectacular scenery I have ever seen.  The Bookmark list from NorthWes would get my vote for day1 as the caches are reasonably accessible and, trust me on this, the scenery, phenomenal.  I have never been to Whittier but it seems that a trip down the Arm to Whittier may not be doable within the time constraints between the AM and PM meet and greet.  Mapquest has it as a 2-hour trip one-way, though we will depend on our counterparts for advise.

Yes, the Seward Highway along Turnagain Arm is one of the most scenic drives in North America. It's listed as a National Scenic Byway, or something like that.

One can easily make it from downtown Whittier to midtown Anchorage in about an hour (~40-45 miles). You can cache along the Turnagain Arm toward Girdwood, get lunch at The Bakery in Girdwood (or picnic it with provisions bought at the Huffman Carrs grocery store (or equivalent) on the way out of town) continue down the arm to Portage to pick up "Spawn and die: The way of nature", and detour to Whittier if the weather is good. I can't remember for certain, but the Whittier tunnel might close at 5:00 p.m. that time of year, so you'd need to be in and out by then (meaning perhaps do "Spawn" on the way out) and caching your way back to Anchorage for the meet and greet. Alternatively, with the late, big breakfast you will get, you could make Whittier your late lunch destination and cache your way back to Anchorage, thus always working closer to the dinner destination.

It's definitely good to have a specific plan going in, but if confronted with horizonal rain and 40 knot winds on the Portage end of the Arm, you can always turn around and go "urban" back in Anchorage. The bookmark lists already have more caches than you can do in the 60 hours you'll be on the ground, plus you'll probably be able to grab others along the way.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

Follow-on remark regarding Mr Bear: I wouldn't worry about anything 'extra' to procure on arrival here. The size of the group coupled with the probable targeted cache sites should preclude an encounter. The September issue of Alaska Magazine is on the newsstands; it's got several excellent articles regarding wildlife and how to handle interactions with them. Moose are far far more likely to be seen close-up, especially at Kincaid Park (read the logs on 'Swords into Plowshares')

Daddy Ladybug's comments regarding a Whittier run are right on. I checked the tunnel schedule and it is open from 5:30am to 11pm through September 30th. FYI - gas prices have risen to $2.46 a gallon here in Anchorage as of this morning, with some locations as high as $2.60. That's not too bad at all.

'Crisp' fall-like weather - we're at 46º this morning & clear skies. Love it - but rain's the forecast for the holiday weekend. Oh well - I'll go caching tonite!

Having traveled extensively, I still consider the road down Turagain Arm to hold some of the most spectacular scenery I have ever seen.  The Bookmark list from NorthWes would get my vote for day1 as the caches are reasonably accessible and, trust me on this, the scenery, phenomenal.  I have never been to Whittier but it seems that a trip down the Arm to Whittier may not be doable within the time constraints between the AM and PM meet and greet.  Mapquest has it as a 2-hour trip one-way, though we will depend on our counterparts for advise.

Yes, the Seward Highway along Turnagain Arm is one of the most scenic drives in North America. It's listed as a National Scenic Byway, or something like that.

It's definitely good to have a specific plan going in, but if confronted with horizonal rain and 40 knot winds on the Portage end of the Arm, you can always turn around and go "urban" back in Anchorage. The bookmark lists already have more caches than you can do in the 60 hours you'll be on the ground, plus you'll probably be able to grab others along the way.

That brings back a memory. I had my family and Father-in-Law (Lyle) to Kodiak in Sept in 1991. We had a 10 hour layover in ANC on the way south and rented a car and headed down to see Portage Glacier. (Before it retreated.) The weather in ANC was very nice. We headed down Turnagain Arm and the weather got progressivly worse but still not too bad till we were a couple miles up the Girdwood turnoff. OH MY. I've been in typhoons with less rain. Horizontal to boot. We got in the parking lot at the glacier and there were, I swear, WHITECAPS in the freaking parking lot. I still have the tape of that trip.

On the way back we stopped at the Bird House. Actually got Lyle to play the Ptarmigan call (The AK people understand ;) )and I had a horseradish pickle. Some like it hot.

7f0e8dee-2ac5-4de5-a026-59aaa3fe0aa0.jpg A considerably slimmer CENT5 after the, ahem, Moon set. 1991 :laughing:

d0ba60d2-d7cf-4063-a542-c9dcfd54be39.jpg Tammy at the Birdhouse Mid Sept 1991. That is not a level bar. You had to put a napkin under your beer to keep it from sliding down the bar. The items all around were probably the worlds largest collection of business cards, sometimes up to 3 inches deep. Along with multitudes of other, shall we say, "unmentionables". Yes the place got a wee bit wild at times. Too bad it burned down in a wildfire several years back. Twas positively an Alaska institution.

The view, mid September 1991, down Turnagain arm. The picture does not do it justice.

923b6ec5-124d-46da-9e55-089d2301ab94.jpg Like lucyandrickie said with regard to Ebey Bluffs "Hehe! Extreme beauty has that affect on me, I want to drop down and pray or dance." Since I dance so infrequently, I spend alot of time in AK on my knees. :)

The weather in ANC was very nice.  We headed down Turnagain Arm and the weather got progressivly worse but still not too bad till we were a couple miles up the Girdwood turnoff.  OH MY.  I've been in typhoons with less rain.  Horizontal to boot.  We got in the parking lot at the glacier and there were, I swear, WHITECAPS in the freaking parking lot. 

Been there, seen it! Whitecaps in the parking lot with icebergs from the glacier being pushed up on the beach. There's a reason the part of the Begich, Boggs Visitor Center which faces Portage Lake is all reinforced concrete :laughing:.

Yup...classic weather pattern for that area!!!

Great photos of the Bird House. We miss that Alaskan institution!

Edited by Ladybug Kids

Hi all! globalgirl's daughter here to say "welcome" and "can't wait to have you all visit." I'm honored that you'll be stopping by our new digs (we just moved up here in June and into our house in July) on your adventure. And I'm sure looking forward to getting out in my new geo-sandbox to cache with some legends, not to mention my geocaching mentor and mother, globalgirl. :laughing: I've only had a bit of time to cache up here, what with unpacking and settling in, not to mention breaking my hand recently, but I'm excited to see what my new Alaskan caching pals have to offer. I'm even planning a trip south to Valdez this weekend (which I hear has some marvelous offerings) and hope to snag some with the family before the ACD adventure begins. I'll have to cut this short, as one-handed pecking is quite a chore. ;) Can't wait to have you all in my new neck of the woods! :)

weizguyz

"Pat the Dog" is a good downtown webcache.  You'll need someone on a PC to complete it for you, though.

If anyone is up to logging this particular cache, I can try to make arrangements for my husband to help us out. Just let me know if it's on the list and I'll see what I can do.

I'd also probably be free to catch your picture.

LindaLu checking in here. I've been away on vacation, so I just wanted to let y'all know that I'm excited to be one of the lucky winners! My sister lives in Anchorage, so it will be good to see her (briefly, probably at lunch or dinner!) :lol:

I'm glad that Fairbanks seems to be out of the picture, I'd love to visit there but on a more relaxed schedule someday. Anywhere down towards the Kenai peninsula sounds great!

By the way, I wouldn't worry too much about the moose. Yes, they are there (heck, they are my sister's number one garden pest sometimes!), but give them a wide berth and we should be fine. With a big group, we'll be making so much noise that they will hear us coming and run the other way...

Added several caches to my bookmark list for Alaska visitors after personally visiting them - the Silver Fern and Silver Fern 2 caches on the western fringe of Chugach State Park. Easy to access, but there's a $5 parking fee. Still, great view and they're within a twenty-minute jaunt from the car! Bookmark is here:

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...34-2bc49d82f634

While scanning the bookmark list, I couldn't resist having a peek at the one puzzle you included. Solving it was a snap because I have done a cache here locally that is almost identical. AK WA

The caches on this and the other bookmarks on this thread all look terrific, by the way!