Great Alaska Cache And Dash

CENT5

Please understand, I wrote this post prior to the drawing knowing I would have little time to edit and post it after the drawing as I have spent the day with my daughter at the Dr. and Hospital with a possible broken foot. Some mistakes are undoubtedly present but I am sure subsequent posts will tell the tale a bit better.

The drawing went well with a couple of surprises. I wouldn’t be CENT5 if I didn’t keep a couple twists up my sleeve.

Attndees:

Lowrider71 (Nice to meet you)

Prying Pandora

FunnyNose

Ohjoy!

MarcusArelius

The Jester

WeightMan

LandRover

Terrible T’s

Mrs. McLaughlin’s Marauders

The 1st little twist was my announcing to the group that I was bumping the team size to 9 from the original 6. While this will require a 2nd vehicle with team members chipping in, I felt it was the right thing to do as I have acquired a couple extra passes from a buddy at work and I didn’t think anyone would really mind. As long as we are doing this we may as well do it right.

In my short Geocaching experience, one person has really inspired me by their caching ethic, knowledge, and enthusiasm. Like it or not I have adopted this person as my caching Mentor as they have given me much needed guidance during my fits and starts as a cacher. As twist #2 unfolded I respectfully asked that Prying Pandora accept ACD Team Slot #5 for our journey.

Slot #4 I am holding in abeyance right now. Me thinks this forum post may make its distribution clear come, oh say late Friday or early Saturday.

My daughter’s foot was not broken but she is laid up at home with a severely bruised tendon so I asked Cathy (AKA Prying Pandora) to do the honors for the drawing.

4 Team Slots in the drawing with 18 TB’s in the pot. Not bad odds actually.

First draw went to El Santo

Second draw went to LindaLu

Third draw wet to Lowrider71

Fourth draw went to GeekGirl—reino your gonna pay for this for a long time I fear ROFLMAO

The 2005 Alaska Cache-N-Dash Team members are:

GeoZuk

Moun10Bike

CENT5

Slot#4 I’m sure we will hear about shortly

Prying Pandora

ElSanto

LindaLu

Lowrider71

GeekGirl-I sense a proxy to reino in the offing ROFL

Congratulations to all the winners and a sincere thank-you to all participants. Though there is much work to do prior to the trip it promises to be memorable for all.

For those proxy winners, you can expect a package in the mail within the next few days with something to attach to the TB you hold as well as initial itinerary. Please keep the key chain from the original as a memento. My intent is to release all of the ACD Team member TB’s on our trip through the “Great White North”.

I would like to retrieve all other TB tags so they may be utilized at a later date. Please keep the key chain as a memento. I am already thinking about ACD II 2006 and they would come in handy. Please contact me via e-mail for my address etc.

To my good friend Blac Raven, We will miss you on the trip. Take care of your wife and come spring we will see about putting together a special trip, just you and I. Kodiak Island is calling. While few in caches it’s an incredible place and I’ve not seen my friends there for far too long.

At this point I am going to turn this forum post over to all the experienced Cachers on the trip to nail down the fine points. Please use this forum post for primary communication as I think there is an interest in the area to see how our trip progresses.

We will, of course, depend on our Alaskan friends for guidance and support. I can hardly wait to meet Northwes and Ladybug Kids.

Once again, thank-you to all that participated. I hope my initial foray into the Geocaching world defines my “style” as it were. I will never be a high numbers person. For me it will always be the quality, the shared experience, and the people you meet that matters most.

(Now if I can only find the time to get to 175 or so I can hit 200 in Alaska ROFLMAO)

Congratulations to the winners - what a great trip it promises to be!!

And Prying Pandora...way to go, girl! :P

I'm just as glad I didn't win, tho I would have loved to have gone (always wanted to see Alaska) - felt a little weird, coming in so late. Blac Raven's the one who deserves, so glad to hear he'll get to do something special with CENT5 later on. :P

Cheers, all!

Well congatulations to all you of you who got picked to go. And to all those who weren't picked maybe we all can get together and do a cache as a group down here while there up north. I think a round of applause is in order for Cent5. For his imaginative caches and his generosity to all of us. I know we all had a lot of fun doing the Pocket Pool Parlour cache. Also another round of applause is due to Global Girl And Prying Paandora for stepping in And helping Cent 5 out. Jim, Glad to her your daughter is doing fine and nothing was broken. I sure will take you up on that offer to Kodiak Island. Sure wish spring was just around the corner. Anybody up to doing a few caches up in the Ellensburg area. When there up north as a group. I leave the Atv's home. And maybe Reino could at as a guide for us. Well I hope all of you have a great trip up there and a safe one too.

Cheers

Blac Raven

Edited by Blac Raven
I am still speechless!!!!!!

Cent5, you ROCK!!!!!!!!!!

I will be glad to take the winning ticket off your hands if it will restore your lovely voice. :P

CENT5 does indeed ROCK!!

Please! NO! We've heard enough from her as it is! :P:P:P

(Sorry, PP, I couldn't resist. I know, I know, try harder next time...)

I will be glad to take the winning ticket off your hands if it will restore your lovely voice.  :P

Cathy seemed to have a pretty good grip on it as she left the park. :P

Yeah, that's what I meant - if that's speechless... :blink:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::P;):D:D:D:D:D

(I'm glad she does get to go, she's never been to Alaska, while I have - of course, that was before caching...)

Congratulations to the winners!! :blink:

I was about 5 minutes late to the drawing since I didn't read my own information closely enough and ended up at DDD.

When I finally got to the right spot I asked if I had missed the drawing and the answer was yes and my heart sank. But then CENT5 said I was "in" and my heart soared. WOW, you mean I won and am in on the trip, I asked? No, but you were "in" the drawing. Oh, my heart sunk again.

But then I realized that by participating in the game I had already won. It was exciting and fun. I met some new geocachers and got to know some others better. Can't wait to see what CENT5 comes up with next year!

I wholeheartedly concur with the others:

CENT5 you rock!

...Slot #4 I am holding in abeyance right now.  Me thinks this forum post may make its distribution clear come, oh say late Friday or early Saturday.

HOLY COW!!!

The globalgirl is going to AK after all!!!

Holy smokes, I've been out in the wilds of OR camping w/ my dd and only last night managed to get to a computer and peruse this forum to see who got lucky in the drawing and... Alas! I wasn't on the list of winners :lol: Decidedly a tad disappointed but nonetheless happy for all, and genuinely grateful just to have been a part of the whole cinco centavo lad's zany GACD shinnanigans - from the frantic fun of Dead Doll Ditch, to a happy return to Blake Island for the numero doce TB, to the nutso joy of PPPP, and even the heart-thumping anticipation of a drawing by proxy that didn't pull out my coveted #12.

But then... finally today I managed to collect my week's past mail and... Lo 'n BEHOLD! The sweetest wee Alaska Airlines 737-900 trinket, and I thought - "Gosh, nice of C5 to send a consolation prize." BUT NOOOOOO! This is for REAL! A special invite to join the ACD Team in slot #4!

Did I mention... HOLY MOLY!!!

What can I say? Even more of a wondrous surprise 'cuz I'd given up all hope. Still a bit stunned. Can't quite believe... I'M GOING!!!

Goodness, C5 - I truly can't thank you enough!

...Slot #4 I am holding in abeyance right now.  Me thinks this forum post may make its distribution clear come, oh say late Friday or early Saturday.

HOLY COW!!!

The globalgirl is going to AK after all!!!

Did I mention... HOLY MOLY!!!

Since our initial foray for co-FTF on Blakley Rock to our latest traipse though the San Juans where Blind Island proved to be such a sweet find after a year and a day. You have been as great a GeoPal as I could ask for.

Your CLASSIC log on Dead Doll Ditch Page 1 Page 2 Still causes me to have fits of mirth every time I read it. It shall be interesting to see what kind of fairy tale our trip the the Great White North produces.

After all of our adventures together I was not likely to leave you behind on what holds promise to be the greatest adventure of all.

Welcome aboard. It should be a gas!!!!!!!

Parts of the itinerary are set. Someone at work grabbed my back-up dates for vacation the week of the 27th so we are now committed to the 20th thru the 22nd. The flights look great so far.

Tuesday 20 Sept: Meet at Alaska Airlines ticket counter SEATAC at 4:15-4:30AM for Flight 81 departing at 6:00AM

Arrive ANC 8:48AM

Meet Alaska contingent at Gwennies to fuel up for the day’s soiree in ANC at 9:30-10:00AM

11:00AM or so. Open onslaught on ANC caches till-Whenever we meet with more of the fine ANC folks for dining, drinking and war stories with perhaps a bit of night (twilight) caching thrown in.

Wednesday 21 Sept: After a cacher’s sleepover at Northwes home (THANK-YOU Northwes for your most generous offer.) an early start is in order:

6:00-7:00AM head North caching along the way with a side trip up the Talkeetna Spur Hwy.

Caches like PANORAMA, Three Forks of the Montana, (Which tops my list of must do’s.) and Talkeetna Treasure await our discovery.

Arrive FAI between 5:00 and 6:00PM to meet with LadyBugKids and the most hospitable Fairbanks group for another round of dinner, drinks and tall tales with perhaps a couple night cache runs tossed in for good measure.

Sleeping arrangements have not yet been made in FAI but I suspect with 9 in the group we may be able to get some kind of group rate.

Thursday 22 Sept: We probably need to depart southbound between 9:00 and 10:00 AM so we don’t have to rush as we need to start checking in for the return flight by 7:00PM

Depart ANC Flight 112 9:09PM arriving SEA at 1:25AM 23 Sept.

Historically it looks like we have a 50-50 shot at clouds and precip:

Fairbanks Weather

Anchorage Weather

Average High/Low

ANC 53/40

FAI 50/34

Many particulars left to discuss and iron out. Everyone jump on in here and lets do this thing righteously.

Man, I see some sleepless nights (Or in my case, days) ahead. :lol:

I have been working with my brother silentnw, we have between the two citys combined about 507 or so caches to choose from, depending on which way we choose to drive. will work on a map and email or post it soon.

We will be depending greatly on the Alaska group for guidance as far as caches to tackle. We probably don't need to weed through 507 caches to figure out whats doable. But if you see some that really catch your eye, toss it on out there and we will see if we can work it in.

I suspect on the drive we will be seriously limited as far as how much of a hike (and how many of them) we can handle to stay within our time constraints. I'm sure everyone will have some input and hopefully by the time we go we will have a bookmarked list to work from.

I suspect with all the heavy hitters on the team and the excellent support from up North this will all come together fairly smoothly.

I've seen M10B at work and he can make that Garmin positively sing. Quiznose or Subway you ask? Well Quiznose gets the vote and the autorouting was loaded before I had mine turned on. I suspect before we leave he will have so much data loaded he will be able to tell you to look to the left at a certain coordinate and hmmmm he's right, theres a moose standing there. :lol:

I suspect our route to FAI will start us out on the Glenn HWY (#1) and we pick up the Parks Hwy (#3) in Wasilla. We WILL be making a side trip up the Talkeetna Spur Which runs East 14 miles from the Parks Hwy.

I too am perusing the caches up there and doing a bit of dreaming. Planning this will be part of the fun. :anibad:

Edited by CENT5
For your reference...there are a few book marked lists and individual caches noted in the Traveler Friendly Alaska Caches thread. I'm a bit behind on maintaining the lists, but I'll bring them up to speed during the next couple of weeks and hopefully other Alaskan's will add their two cents' worth.

See. What did I tell ya Lowrider. I'm sitting at work and had my post in the backround. Before I finish it LadyBugKids chimes in. Thank-you very much.

Question for LadyBugKids. Whats the prognosis on us hitting fall colors? Too early/late?

Question for LadyBugKids.  Whats the prognosis on us hitting fall colors?  Too early/late?

In a normal year, you'll be a bit on the late for the peak colors. You'll see more remaining colors in Anchorage and fewer in Fairbanks. In between, going over Broad Pass on your way to Denali and parts north the tundra should still have some reds, yellows and browns. That will all be nicely contrasted with "termination dust" (early light snow) working its way down the mountains. If we have a warmer than normal September, the colors will still be good. If it gets cold early, the leaves will be out of the trees. And, the ultimate wildcard is an early snowfall such as the one that dumped 12"-24" of snow in Fairbanks in the early 90s and cancelled the Equinox Marathon or th dump that closed the Denali Park Road during the second week of September. Highly unusual, but possible. The definite upside to your timing is that the bugs will be virtually nonexistant.

Folks should pack for anything from t-shirts & shorts weather, to temperatures in the 20's, with outer gear good for rain, wind, and snow. My wife and I got married on September 21 in Anchorage and we saw all of the above except for below freezing temperatures on the same day.

I recommend you keep your itinerary flexible. If the weather is lousy in Fairbanks, you could choose to head down Turnagain Arm to the Kenai Peninsula as a day trip instead. Now that you have dates set, I'll get my vacation request in. If you guys will have me, I might be able serve as guide for parts of the trip.

I suspect our route to FAI will start us out on the Glenn HWY (#1) and we pick up the Parks Hwy (#3) in Wasilla.  We WILL be making a side trip up the Talkeetna Spur Which runs East 14 miles from the Parks Hwy.

Hey, where'd you get those highway numbers :lol:??? Now that I think about it, they do appear on some of the directional signs :anibad:. There are so few highways up here, we call 'em by name.

Don't worry much about long hikes...most caches along the Parks Highway are at most a five minute walk from the car with the exception of the Ermine Hill Trail series (though I would highly recommend the first two caches on that trail) and "Out of Byers Lake."

Thats kind of what I figured. I usually go to Kodiak for silvers the 2nd week of Sept and the colors varied wildly from just starting to winding down.

I think I'll leave the shorts at home. If the WX takes a turn for the worse I'm not into hypothermia. Though well armed with gortex and thinsulate we will deal with whatever Mother Nature feels fit to toss our way.

We will have a seat all warmed up for you should you care to join us.

Edited by CENT5

If the weather is nice, I suggest making a loop by driving from Anchorage to Fairbanks via the Glenn (#1) and Richardson Highways (#4) and returning on the Parks (#3) Highway. The way up is about 80 miles longer (total of ~440 miles), but the scenary is much more spectacular as you follow the Chugach Mountains out of Anchorage, split the Chugach and Talkeetna Mountains from Palmer to Glennallen, catch a glimpse of the Wrangell-St. Elias Mountains (Mts. Drumm, Wrangell), then turn north to pass through the Alaska Range via Isabel Pass. There is a smattering a caches along the way to pick up as well.

Then, for the day you have to catch your flight home, you could head down the Parks Highway from Fairbanks to Anchorage via the shorter (360 mile) route.

I kind of looked at that route also but didn't know how much farther it was. I also have a bead on the Talkeetna Spur caches and I wasn't sure if we could cover it if we were southbound and in a bit of a hurry.

I've not looked at the caches on the Glenn and Richardson Hwy's

On another note I found out today that globalgirls daughter is a cacher in Palmer and is going to join us in ANC for a bit. We get to have a mother/daughter reunion. :D

This just keeps getting better with each turn.

I was putzing around in my garage today playing with putting together another cache. Got to thinking that we should give back a bit to the Alaska contingent on our trip.

What I'd like to propose is that every member on the trip put together a cache to be placed on the trip. Space limitations would probably limit us to Small or Micro. (Call them Prying Pandoras ACD I Cache or Lowrider71's ACD I Cache or some such.) That would place 9 caches on our route. I'd also like to propose we place 1 significant cache on the route with contributions from all members, call it 2005 ACD I Memorial Cache or some such. Making a total of 10.

Maintenance is, of course, an issue. We would likely have to ask our Alaska counterparts for some assistance on this.

While this, undoubtedly, would slow our caching time. As placing caches properly takes time. I think we can forgo a couple numbers and reap the reward of giving something back.

I am already prepping a decon which probably won't be big enough. (Too dang many coins. :mad: ) I am also prepping a delivery system which should allow access no matter how high the snow gets. Finding a place to put it is another matter. I'm also preparing a few Mags to be set as we go. (Just in case.)

Keep in mind, wherever we place a cache is likely to be under feet of snow within weeks if not days after we depart and may not be found until spring. So prepare your caches for the worst Mother Nature can dish out.

I've seen Prying Pandoras work and I'm sure given a set of Coords, globalgirl could whip up a puzzle cache that will twist the sanest minds. Multi's are probably out of the picture due to time constraints.

Feedback Please.

Oh my, this is going to be fun! :mad:  Do you think that we should put together a TravisL-cache-machine-like route for the day in Anchorage, or should we instead just take things as they come and use the "find nearest cache" method of caching?

I think a preplanned route would be in order based upon input from our Alaska buddies. You could probably do a "go to nearest" and it would take hours to get out of "Kinkaid Park". :mad: If everyone on the team were to peruse the multiple opportunities in ANC and pick a couple, we could put together a route that would make most everyone happy. Swords into Plowshares Would start my list of things to do. Turnagain Arm Tidal Bore Earthcache is certainly unique but I've see 4 foot Bores or merely a ripple so thats a crap shoot and aways out of town.

Yes, This holds promise to be an absolute, sleep deprived, gas. :mad:

Yes, This holds promise to be an absolute, sleep deprived, gas.  :mad:

Man, I really hope that I'm able to pull this off. One day would have been easy...two days would be a challenge but I think I could swing it...but now that it spans three days I'm finding it difficult to find other professors willing to cover all my classes the week before summer quarter exams.

I still think 3 days is the way to go...I'm just hoping that I get to use lucky TB #17 myself! Otherwise, Reino will get to go in my place (and it'll take him waaaay more than three days to make it up to me! :mad: ).

Quick questions...

First, what are the "ethics" or "protocols" for a cache machine-like route? For example, if one has knowedge about the location of all stages of a multi-cache such as "Swords Into Plowshares," is it proper for Northwes or me to say something like do Stage 1 of "Swords Into Plowshares" on the way to/from caches X, and Y and pick up the last stage on the way to/from cache Z?

Second, does the group want quantity or a terrain, ecosystem, cache type sampler of an area? As Cent5 mentioned, you could spend hours and walk/run many miles knocking out all the caches in Kincaid Park, but is that what you want to do? Or, do you want to build off a bookmarked list similar to one provided a few posts ago that will give you a cross section of Anchorage from a downtown webcam cache to Kincaid Park to Turnagain arm to Whittier?

You might also want to drop TeamAlamo or DavidT21 & Fisherwoman a note and get there perspective on caching around Anchorage during their visit a couple of weeks ago. None of us up here are experienced with some of the tools of the trade and methods some of you have employed for big cache days in the lower 48, so we may grossly underestimate what is possible. I think Cav Scout's biggest 2-day weekend in the Anchorage area was something on the order of 35-40 finds, but I'm not sure what TeamAlamo accomplished.

First, what are the "ethics" or "protocols" for a cache machine-like route?

As long as the locations of waypoints or caches are not disclosed, I don't see an issue with saying it would be best to start cache X while on the way to cache Y. One critical rule to which we adhere is that the person who makes the find must be the person who rehides the container.

That said, I am not interested in coming up for a numbers binge. The cache machines, while fun, are a bit exhausting and end up skipping many of the harder-to-reach, and thus often most rewarding, caches. I can't speak for everyone, but I would be more interested in a few quality caches than dozens of "typical" urban hides.

I second the quality over quantity. I would be happy taking a day to scale to the top of a peak and get one cache and come home. I'm guessing our group has an age span of about 15 years and varying degrees of fitness, so "hikes" could potentially leave out some members of the group. I am not one that will have a problem with any route or number we go after and will be supportive with whatever decision we all come up with.

I second the quality over quantity.  I would be happy taking a day to scale to the top of a peak and get one cache and come home.  I'm guessing our group has an age span of about 15 years and varying degrees of fitness, so "hikes" could potentially leave out some members of the group.  I am not one that will have a problem with any route or number we go after and will be supportive with whatever decision we all come up with.

:laughing: Well I figured this might come up. Please remember this is a TEAM deal. Whilst most members of the team could, no doubt, be scaling the peaks and playing amongst the Dall Sheep and Mountain Goats. Others of us would be left behind, no doubt seeking other worthy caches. Thats not the idea.

Being a 50+, overweight, smoker, I would be a drag on such an expedition. However I also have no desire to be left behind. I have a surprising amount of desire, will and endurance. Given time, I can reach about any goal I set forth. Last fall I hunted for a week in Idaho at 9500+ft.

Should we, as a team, pick a lofty cache, I would prefer we set aside enough time for the "Team" to reach that goal.

Is this going to slow the team down? No question. Of course it will. All the better to get to know each other and enjoy the time in a unique place.

And yes, I heartily endorse the quality over quantity ideal.

Edited by CENT5

There are plenty of quality view caches with walks ranging from 100 yards to half a mile. You won't get a much better view of the Anchorage Bowl, Chugach Mountains, Kenai Mountains, and the Alaska Range than from Cache With A View by Trove Rover which is almost above treeline and you can almost drive to it. Serenity View and EagleView are both in Kincaid Park by Northwes and offer great views as well. For those wishing a near-mountaintop experience without hearing your heart tear apart at the seams you can ride the ski tram in Girdwood up to Alyeska Overlook if the weather is nice. Great food and bar up there, too!

Fairbanks has several near drive-up view caches including Wood River by 1stimestar, Ester Dome Delight, and any one of Cav Scout's or Team Bear Bait's caches in the Murphy Dome area (the top five on the list all have excellent views...check out the galleries).

Obviously, the possibilities are near endless. It's your trip...keep bouncing ideas around and the Alaskan cachers will do our best to make suggestions for the best experience you can pack into three days.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

I'll THIRD (fourth? fifth?) that vote on QUALITY over NUMBERS. Shoot, arguably a cache machine is a cache machine is a cache machine most everywhere (i.e. racing about, blindly snatching boxes in a blur), and I dare say I don't think that's what this adventure is all about.

While I haven't (yet) had a chance to peruse LB's tantalizing bookmark list, my vote would go for a good mix of your very BEST caches. Yes LB, a sampler/cross section of everything you've got - be they clever urban micros, craftily tucked ammo boxes, earthcache virtuals, puzzles, multis, vistas, younameit. Heck, show us a cammoed moose with a bison tube stuck up its butt! :laughing: Point izzz - give us the stuff that stands out as the finest examples of AK cachepitality (hey, did I just coin a new word?)

This promises to be a MONUMENTAL GAS! A singularly UNIQUE caching adventure - a loopy cadre of geozanies, romping across one of the most beautiful chunks of real estate on the Planet, sharing the ultimate geocaching experience of a lifetime. Numbers? Puleeez, that will undoubtedly be the very least of it!

Yes, This holds promise to be an absolute, sleep deprived, gas.  ;)

Man, I really hope that I'm able to pull this off. One day would have been easy...two days would be a challenge but I think I could swing it...but now that it spans three days I'm finding it difficult to find other professors willing to cover all my classes the week before summer quarter exams.

I still think 3 days is the way to go...I'm just hoping that I get to use lucky TB #17 myself! Otherwise, Reino will get to go in my place (and it'll take him waaaay more than three days to make it up to me! ;) ).

You go for it girl. What ever you can come up with. Either you or Reino are most welcome. And yes, I suspect if Reino gets the nod you should be grinning ear to ear for quite some time. :laughing::D

Your ACD package hit the mail this AM. Sorry for the delay.

Besides, the moose are at least as dangerous as the bears :laughing:.

More so.

I just breezed through this thread. I'm new to the sport. My parents came up from FL last month, and turned my family and I on to caching. I just got an eTrex Vista, and plan to wear it out!

Anyway, I welcome you to Alaska, enjoy your trip, and be sure to take lots of pictures!

I favor quality over quantity too, because I have never been to Alaska and want to max out on the experience. I'd also like for the trip be a full experience for everyone in the group, with no one feeling left out of anything. I don't think I'm in good enough shape to scale a mountain peak, but have always been able to keep up with anyone I've gone caching with. I'll do my best with whatever is decided!

I am so excited, this is going to be a *BLAST*!!!

Cent5, are ya sure you don't want to send me up there later for some cache maintenance? :laughing:;):D

I favor quality over quantity too, because I have never been to Alaska and want to max out on the experience.  I'd also like for the trip be a full experience for everyone in the group, with no one feeling left out of anything.  I don't think I'm in good enough shape to scale a mountain peak, but have always been able to keep up with anyone I've gone caching with.  I'll do my best with whatever is decided!

I am so excited, this is going to be a *BLAST*!!!

Cent5, are ya sure you don't want to send me up there later for some cache maintenance?  :D  :laughing:  ;)

Don't get me wrong. If we can find a cache within say a 1-2 hour round trip hike. Why not. (Note to self: Pack knee brace. ;) ) We will not be afforded that luxury on our drive to FAI.

I think everyone should peruse the ANC area caches and pick a couple to top their list. Then, with our able ANC folks assistance we can pare it down to a list thats doable and reasonably meets most everyones expectations. I also do not want to bite off more than we can chew so to speak. We should expect about 8 to 9 hours caching time in ANC between 11 and oh say 7-8 when it's time dinner, drinks, and tall tales.

On another note I need someone to jump up and reserve a second vehicle. I got a 7 pax minivan from National for $153.00. I rented it from 9 AM Tuesday until 9 AM Friday as it was cheaper than turning it in late on Thursday. (No penalty for early turn in either.)

I'd probably just as soon it not be M10B as I think he needs be the designated primary navigator. (WARP 9 MR. SULU!!!!!) I would like to have 2 drivers per vehicle and have people move freely between the vehicles so we really do get a chance to chat and share the experience with EVERYONE in the group.

Edited by CENT5
If you can find a 4x4 to rent, you'd be better off. I can post a few pics of the local scenery, if you'd like. "Pat the Dog" is a good downtown webcache. You'll need someone on a PC to complete it for you, though. The car hops are also quick and easy, but offer little for scenery.

Yep I looked at a 4x4 but it was double the mini-van for a 7 PAX deal.

On another note I need someone to jump up and reserve a second vehicle.

I think I'm going to have to resign myself to the fact that it will most likely be Reino going in my place, and he is always most comfortable in the driver's seat so we'll take care of getting the second vehicle reserved.

Should we go for the same vehicle/days/etc. that you did, CENT5?

I would like to have 2 drivers per vehicle and have people move freely between the vehicles so we really do get a chance to chat and share the experience with EVERYONE in the group.

I love the musical chairs idea! :unsure: I'm also happy to take my turn driving if needed. Maybe a little less happy if it's icy, though! <_<

I am in Victoria for a couple more days, :o but I'll get busy checking out those AK caches as soon as I settle in at home.

On another note I need someone to jump up and reserve a second vehicle.

I think I'm going to have to resign myself to the fact that it will most likely be Reino going in my place, and he is always most comfortable in the driver's seat so we'll take care of getting the second vehicle reserved.

Should we go for the same vehicle/days/etc. that you did, CENT5?

Well don't toss in the towel just yet GeekGirl. I have ways, yet unxplored, to get you home early if needed. I appreciate the offer of reserving the 2nd vehicle. I would say, yes, stick with a minivan as with 5 in 1 and 4 in the other it will handle our gear quite well. Plus we may have LadyBugKids along to act as a guide so we would still be relatively comfortable in a couple of minivans.

I'm dealing with issues for the trip right now that may significantly change things so give me a bit to chew on them and I'll post more info tonight.

The flights still look great with 95 open seats going N and 105 open seats southbound. (With my seniority I'll not start getting concerned until it hits 25-30 each way.)