Cache Density Rules

SCP-173

This post is for admins and approvers to comment on. My local approver is taking a break and the one who's filling in for him said he couldn't make the decision to make an exception to the rules himself. I figured one of the approvers here might be able to take a look at this for me.

I'd like to hide a cache in a park on the north end of Seneca Lake, but there's already a 5 part multi that spans the entire shoreline and is taking up all the good spots. I want to hide a cache at these coordinates, which are about 250 feet from one of the multi's parts.

N42°52.149'

W76°56.490'

The thing is the multi is only using a sign, there's nothing even hidden there. The rest of the park is pretty much nothing but open fields and picnic tables (except for where the final part of the multi is hidden), so options for a hiding location for anything bigger then a micro are limited. The final part is also quite a distance from my coordinates. I think in this case the 528 feet rule is doing the exact opposite of what it's meant to do. So, is there any chance an exception can be made? Thanks.

It looks like its in a NY state park.

A: do you have the required permit?

B: NY state park laws, besides requiring a permit, require you to be .25 away from any other caches, or stages of another cache. It's not your approver's place to over-ride park policy. Write Albany and complain if you don't like it. You're complaining in the wrong place here. None of the approvers can change that.

Edited by Mopar

A. I don't need a permit for something that's not even hidden yet. Why would I waste my time doing either of those things before the admins let me even know if an exception would be made.

B. I've got the pamphlet in my hands and it says nothing about stages of a multi.

C. Are you an admin? Thanks for the "reply" anyway.

Mopar accurately summarized the new policy for New York State Parks. Here is a similar quote from New York Admin

If you don't like the .10 mile separation imposed by geocaching.com you won't be thrilled to learn the state parks require a .25 mile separation between caches. No individual may have more than 5 caches per park and each location of a multi counts as a cache toward that total.

This is taken from the main thread in the Northeast forum that discusses the NY cache permit system. I think there is indeed an issue as to whether the Park will allow another cache in the area. What's the distance between your proposed container and the nearest physical container? At a minimum it appears that would need to be .25 miles. You might ask the Park whether they treat virtual stages the same way as physical stages in a multicache.

Since this is just a cache in the planning stages, not one that's waiting in the queue with its Park permit, all ready to go, I would recommend waiting for New York Admin to return from a brief absence. Write an e-mail and you should hear back next week.

Edited by Keystone Approver

Well I have one more reason why I left the Empire State, actually someone didn't appear to put the facts straight to the NY authorities, what does a waypoint that is a placque have to do with distance. I imagine some offical placed the placque.

This is just another restricitve case on our freedoms, we pay for it and then they tell us what to do. :)