• Fat Tuesday
  • Stuck Caching And I Just Can't Stop
  • AG hits the big 2K
  • DC's Pet Cache
  • Stumped
  • Stuck Between A Rock And A Hard Place
  • Riddle Me This
  • Cache In Trash Out

Today I finally went out and placed Riddle Me This - a multi which took four hours to place - thus I can finally cross one of them off. [GCN1Y4]

So how many specific cache ideas do you have rolling around in your trunk/piled up in the car/etc waiting to be hid? What's holding you back from hiding them?

For me it's just the time to get out and do cords... I don't particularly like sitting somewhere for an hour making sure the cords are right, so I have almost every cache in that list ready to be hidden and I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Three of them are fairly new on the TBH pile, and because of that, I don't have a container for one of them yet.

What about the rest of you?

I have one called Grand Cache Auto, but I'm waiting until this spring when I can go find a very old, very rusted out car somewhere to put the final cache in/near.

The cache requires you to get the VIN numbers from five or six different makes/models of vehicles and enter them on a web page to get the final coords of the cache (already had the idea approved, but that was over a year ago...)

This is the mock-up of the vin page: http://www.mrsnazz.com/gca/

Edited by Mr. Snazz

Lets see - just off the top-of-my head.....

• Lame McToys found in my other caches
  • button cache
  • 2 new Rhyme Caches
  • River view cache
  • Reflections caches #1 and #2 - #3 & #4 are out already
  • Pumpkin Creek Basin #2
  • Ghost Town - wait and see
  • Central Panhandle TB Motel
  • Back roads farm
  • etc etc etc

Most are ready to go just need the time and a good location - I have many more ideas too.....

Sigh - too bad I need to work for a living......

The junior Ladybug Kids have caught the fever and have filled:

1. Toy Box

2. Dog Box

3. Cat Box

4. Train Box

Then, Daddy Ladybug needs to:

5. Place the last two caches for the Fairbanks bike path series

6. Place the bike path series bonus cache

7. Hide a cache or two in Valdez to make up for all the FTFs I pulled on the local cachers while on business there during 2004

8. Place a golf-related puzzle cache complete with dreaded golf balls (new ones, I promise)

9. Hide Fairbanks' first lame light post cache

10. ...and so on, and so on, and...

Work just keeps getting in the way of having fun.

I got two out of the way this weekend. One was a photo cache, where I took pictures of the surrounding area and finders need to match up the photo to find the cache (I called it Picture This). The other was a very small micro hanging from fishing line in the woods. I called it Marionette.

I picked up some fake rocks hide a keys at Home Depot today and those caches are still in the planning stage. Not a lot of caches like that around here. I also made a much larger fake rock cache about a year ago and still haven't placed it. Actually it looks more like a some spilled cement than a rock. I just can't find a spot where it would look natural. Maybe an old construction site or something.

I also have a few unique containers I've saved over the years, but every time I go to place a cache, I fall back on ammo boxes and Lock n Locks.

I don't have any names picked out. I usually come up with the name after I place the cache.

I finally got around to putting together Geocaching "ROCKS" and got it placed this past weekend. It is a rock, stone, gem, & mineral themed cache in a great location surrounded by rock formations. I filled the cache with many items that I have found, from all around the country: Obsidian, Apache Tear, Amethyst, Quartz, and Topaz, I also made a new Spirit Stone signature item for the cache. The only thing I left out was a raw diamond so I have to get back out there to drop it off.

To Be Placed List:

Caches that ready to go

A Link To The Past - itty bitty micro cache near major town attraction

Too Easy For A Hint - mystery cache

One Horse Gap - for the location

I have intentions to place:

2 more along a Rail to Trail - I thought others would hide some caches in the past year but only one has popped up. Two caches for 45 miles is kind of sparse.

I will be revamping an existing cache (Bird Trail) into a multi or multi mystery cache so all the locals will have a new cache to find along the trail.

Great Ideas but not sure when I will get around to them:

Time For A Change (this was one of my first ideas but still not out yet)- coin, token, wooden nickle themed cache. When the location presents itself.

Haunted cache series - I have a cache in one location but no mention of the haunted history. I have checked out 5 of the other 15 locations that I have gathered stories on and two are a must. So I have 3 locations for the series picked out and some of the best stories/locations to still check out.

A maze: when you get to the waypoint you have 2 to 3 possible directions to go. A person could get through with 4 stops or 9 stops or they could hit all 21 spots if they are really bad. I have a location in mind where one of my favorite trails used to be but it was torn out about 12 years ago. Therefore, I do not know what the area looks like now. Each waypoint would be at a point of interest if I can remember what all the interpretive trail map used to point out.

I also have an Idea for a multi in an area with a babbling brook, interesting rocks, ferns, and root formations and at each coordinate will be a fairy or gnome.

So many ideas so little time.

GEO.JOE

Edited by GEO.JOE

Ive got about 20 or so. The motivation isnt as strong as it was though. I have series of caches planned, themed around several different things. Sadly, I had one I was looking forward to get shot down by the land owner. C'est la vie.

I had thought of one like your maze, called the 9 headed hydra....but given the gas prices, Im not sure people will like me for it.

Edited by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

I keep meaning to finish a few projects that I've got in various stages of completion:

Banjo Music aka Why is Daddy Crying? (5/5)

Travel Bug Time OUT (wayyyyyyy overdue. I should be shot.)

Snoogandipity (Event)

Symptoms in Some Cephalopoda Approximating Apoplexy (ocean themed puzzle/movie cache)

Yo Quiero Taco Toy? (Taco Bell/McToy trade for kids 1/1)

Sirius: The Dog Star (NEW Dog toy cache)

The Megabrantis Cluster (evil multi/H2G2 theme)

Orange is for Anguish. Blue is for Insanity. (freakin evil multi based on an even more evil short story)

The FrogStar (H2G2 theme)

The Total Perspective Vortex (H2G2 theme gotta go to the Frogstar first for info)

The Great Library of the Five Galaxies (Book Crossing Cache with Sci-Fi theme)

Vermithrax Prageoratem (dragon themed puzzle/movie cache)

Thucydides Spartan Messenger Service: "A Twisted Tale" (ancient encoding/decoding method/best experienced in the buff) :D

A Vampire Themed cache that I can't seem to come up with a clever name for.

A Reptile Themed cache that I can't seem to come up with a clever name for.

A Butterfly Themed cache that I can't seem to come up with a clever name for.

A Dinosaur Themed cache that I can't seem to come up with a clever name for.

A west coast version of Quantum Leap. (Still working with the mine owner on this one. It would have been out in 2005, but I got sick on vacation last year before finalizing a deal. Maybe 06 if all goes well this year.) This particular cache will be my LAST west coast hide except for my annual event. All my new hides out west will be on terracaching.com. :)

With the exception of Banjo Music, most are fairly complete, but are waiting until I find the perfect spot. I haven't had much time for cachin' lately. A few of these will be Terracaches. No way I'm giving all the coords for Megabrantis and Orange/Blue. GC would never approve those 2 anyway.

Like Snoogans and Renegade Knight, I'm finding that my most creative, push-the-envelope ideas are being stifled by the repressive, traditionalist rules in place on this listing service. Therefore, I am establishing hamstercaching.com as the future home of my series of theme caches based upon the trading of small furry animals. I am just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit, so that the FTF race is not quite so much of a life and death struggle.

In the meantime, I still have a number of ideas on my to-do list from back when I thought like a traditional geocacher:

"Elves on the Stairmaster" was a multicache that's been on the idea list since August 2002. It would take finders to all the public wooden stairways that connect the tops and bottoms of Pittsburgh's many hillsides. However, in scouting out the coolest stairways, I found that parking and access to them was a major PITA, so that people weren't likely to enjoy driving from one hilly neighborhood to another. I may pick just one such stairway and implement the idea a bit different, using an evil trick suggested by Little Leprechaun.

I also have had a Harry Potter multicache on the drawing board since summer 2002. Just as I got serious about it, lots of other caches were hidden in the park I had planned to hide this cache in. I would need to revamp the concept as the starting point *has* to be in this park. I found a place where some abandoned train tracks disappear into the side of a hill that was built up to carry a highway bridge over a ravine. That spot is "Platform 9 and 3/4."

"Size Matters to the Elves" is a multicache that plays upon the ongoing debates about micros vs. regular sized caches. The trail is scouted and I just need to speak with the land manager and get the containers hidden.

"The Elves are Blind as Bats" is a night cache concept that is fully developed, but in search of a place where it is safe and legal to hide a night-only cache.

I also have a few spots scouted out for urban micros that take finders to interesting spots in and around downtown, such as sculpture gardens and memorials. I am reluctant to hide any of these for fear of backlash from the he-man micro haters club.

I also have a few spots scouted out for urban micros that take finders to interesting spots in and around downtown, such as sculpture gardens and memorials.  I am reluctant to hide any of these for fear of backlash from the he-man micro haters club.

Hide away! I don't think there's anyone that would really have a problem with these.

To respond to the original post. I too, have about 10 ideas going. Some are interesting hides, some are interesting stories about local spots. For the most part I don't have a location yet, and that's the main sticking point. Scouting out spots takes a lot of time, and that seems like a commodity I don't have a lot of right now.

--RuffRidr

I also have a few spots scouted out for urban micros that take finders to interesting spots in and around downtown, such as sculpture gardens and memorials.  I am reluctant to hide any of these for fear of backlash from the he-man micro haters club.

Hide away! I don't think there's anyone that would really have a problem with these.

That may be true in some areas and with some geocachers, but there are also those who will rant about a microcache even if placed with care, in a waterproof container that is well maintained by the owner... just because it's a microcache. I grew tired of having my microcaches criticized in my local community, so I quit hiding them. The spots remain on my "to be hidden" list and someday I may change my mind. In the meantime, I continue to maintain my grand total of six microcaches that I have "spewed" upon my local area. They're placed at scenic overlooks, along heavily traveled bike trails, or in parks with no hiding spots for regular-sized caches. Some feature unique containers or hiding methods.

Remember that when one rants about micros, they may be discouraging the "good" ones as well as the less stellar ones -- intentionally or unintentionally.

I don't have any names picked out. I usually come up with the name after I place the cache.

Ah, Brian. I had wondered about Fluffy Pink Bunnies...

I do not plan on putting out a lot of caches, but I do have a few thoughts that I'm working on.

One would be an evil multicache. Or maybe two evil multicaches... Plan to have a few people cursing at me. :blink:

Since we got the FTF prize of a ready to go decon box from Avroair's Project X: LGM, we will be setting it out when the weather's a bit warmer, as a cache that I've been contemplating for a while. Going with Avroair's theme, it will be called: ET Dial Zero.

Other than that, I will have to wait for the fancy to strike me, though I do know of a very nice overlook that does not have any caches nearby. A good place to lure geocachers to.

Ah, Brian. I had wondered about Fluffy Pink Bunnies...

He stole that from me. :blink:

I used it as the name of a hypothetical cache when answering a question in the "Getting Started" forum. :blink:

So how many specific cache ideas do you have rolling around in your trunk/piled up in the car/etc waiting to be hid? What's holding you back from hiding them?

We generally have 20 to 40 unique cache containers with us at any given time looking for a good home.

--Marky

So how many specific cache ideas do you have rolling around in your trunk/piled up in the car/etc waiting to be hid?  What's holding you back from hiding them?

We generally have 20 to 40 unique cache containers with us at any given time looking for a good home.

--Marky

Sounds like you could make a good seed cache to me. :blink:

We have four sitting on our list:

Gotta find a Valpo Date

Jazz for a Lazy Sunday Afternoon

Likeke and Kalaki's Hawaiian Honeymoon Cache

Solana's Movie Exchange Cache

The pages are built for all four. We are waiting for better weather to place two of them, and we need a new source for Ammo Cans for the other two.

Edited by Team Tecmage