Use Of Native Language

reser

First of all: I don`t know if this issue have been discussed earlier in the forum, but I think that it is time to talk about this (again ?).

A majority of postings in this forum are in Finnish.

Speaking for myself and other International guests, I think we are missing a lot of interesting issues and discussions - simply because we don`t know the language.

After some time I`ve learnt that most of the Finnish discussions are marked with "FIN" in the title field, but not all of them.

Especially annoying are the posts where the Title and/or "Topic Description" is written in English, but when I enter the discussion, all of it is in Finnish(!!).

Why are you telling us the content in English at all - as long as Finnish is used in the discussion?

Such threads makes me (and probably others) just furious, because I assume to read English when the thread is described in English.

There are also discussions that starts in English, but suddenly a user starts using Finnish - and rest of the discussion gives me nothing...

When you are in a International forum, it is plain courtesy not to mix languages in the postings.

Personally I think that native language should be used in National forums only.

(I.e. if Finland had its own folder here at the Groundspeak-pages, Finnish would be OK to use).

But I CAN accept discussions in Finnish - as long as you marks them like today - AND you don`t give us any teasers in English.

Better to know nothing than just a part of it!

You see? ;)

Like most Norwegians, my Finnish is limited to the words "Hyvää!", "Moi" and "Yksi, kaksi, kolme"

Hopefully my fellow geocachers in my neighbouring country understands my frustration (more than my anger) in this contribution.

First of all: I don`t know if this issue have been discussed earlier in the forum, but I think that it is time to talk about this (again ?).

atb_search.gif Forum Search is your friend. Try for example keywords native and language. You'll find most of those few times this issue has been discussed before. Oh, look! One of them is pinned right on top of the forum topics! :D Here's one too. Suffice to say, using the languages spoken in the geographical area of Nordic and Baltic countries is allowed in the guidelines of these forums.

A majority of postings in this forum are in Finnish.

Speaking for myself and other International guests, I think we are missing a lot of interesting issues and discussions - simply because we don`t know the language.

I think you're not missing a lot. The most issues are local stuff, which is - trust me - way easier to discuss with native language than some foreign language, which some don't speak at all, some very little, and most lack the nuances that they can use in their native language. For example, here are few of the topics on the current first page of this forums. Should they really be in English?

• Fin: Kätköt Talvella -Is cache findable at winter - This topic is discussed for the millionth time in the Geocaching Topics forum. Is it really necessary to have the same discussion here over and over in English too?

• Fin: Murha Ei Vanhene Koskaan... - This is about a game made by a Finnish geocacher to other Finnish geocachers - in Finnish language. Is there some kind of Greater Need to have this in English?

• Mistä Travle Bugeja Suomeen Parhaiten/edullisimmin
    TBs, but from where to Finland - Finnish geocachers discussing for the thousandh of time how to get TBs to Finland. While I'm sure how important this question is to Norwegian and Southeast Slovenian geocaching scenes, I think it's bound to be more helpful in Finnish.

• Cito-päivä 16.4.2005 Suomessa
    CITO events in Finland 16.4.2005 - Gee whizz, a CITO day in FINLAND! Let's talk about it in English! Those active geocachers in Hamar might know a special spot in Tampere, which needs badly tidying up!

• FIN: Ehdotuksia uusiksi kätköpaikoiksi (Pages 1 2 3 )
    Suggestions for new hiding locations - New hiding locations IN FINLAND! Does anyone know any reason why Finns should discuss this topic in English?

Ok, I won't bother to go on further.;)

Especially annoying are the posts where the Title and/or "Topic Description" is written in English, but when I enter the discussion, all of it is in Finnish(!!).

Why are you telling us the content in English at all - as long as Finnish is used in the discussion?

Such threads makes me (and probably others) just furious, because I assume to read English when the thread is described in English.

Furious? No reason to get furious. First of all, among the current topics on the Nordic and Baltic Countries forum page now, there is only one topic, which has only an English language title. It's 'Road Angel', which is about a product of similar name. I don't know why the topic starter chose to use Finnish (because it would probably have been in interest of the Swedish dealer too). And yes, there definitely could have been the FIN: -prefix too to indicate the language used. But it was the only thread with English-only title and Finnish discussion I could find on the current forum page.

Secondly, the English language 'teasers' are courtesy to those, who might be interested to join the same discussion - in English. By adding an English language topic description, the topic starter invites also non-Finnish-speaking geocachers to join the discussion. This happens quite seldom, but it has happened more than once.

There are also discussions that starts in English, but suddenly a user starts using Finnish - and rest of the discussion gives me nothing...

Are there many this kind of cases? Typically someone who doesn't understand the rest of the thread can ask what's it about.

When you are in a International forum, it is plain courtesy not to mix languages in the postings.

Yes, in GC.com forums this is sorted out so that the general discussion about geocaching is discussed in Geocaching Topics forum. The regional discussion is allowed to be discussed in regional languages.

But I CAN accept discussions in Finnish - as long as you marks them like today - AND you don`t give us any teasers in English.

Better to know nothing than just a part of it!

Yes, sir! :P - Except for the teasers. In addition to what I said above (the 'teasers' being a courtesy), they once were deliberately wished to be there, because someone got furious because they didn't know what the thread was about.

One more example. When I start a topic in this forum, I usually pay lots of attention, which language should I use. I do prefer English when it's appropriate. Once I started a thread about geotrashing and legislation in Finland. It seemed appropriate, since it was about how the Finnish legislation considers 'trash' and how it can be geocaching-related. The discussion went on quite lively. At one point some non-Finnish asked about what it was about. As there seemed to be Nordic interest in the topic, I opened an English equivalent of the same topic. It didn't live long. So why should I bother to discuss about my local stuff with a language I don't speak far that good as I do my native language?

Okay, not everybody can understand English. But the most people using Geocaching.com-site including this forum must know english - otherwise couldn't they use the website :(

Okay, the finnish is all we see here since the rest of us have non-GC-forums were we discuss in our native languages. But as I see it, this is a forum for the whole nordic region. Sometimes do a topic start in english, and it seems really interesting, and suddenly you all go over to finnish instead. The people leaving west of Finland (Sweden, Denmark, Norway) do understand each other, and some finns can also understand our languages. But we can't understand a single word of what you write. So if the discussion starts in english, why not keep it in english?

Sometimes do a topic start in english, and it seems really interesting, and suddenly you all go over to finnish instead.

Does this happen often? Which specific topics? Has anyone interested non-Finn person asked about the change of language? Has it turned to English again?

Are there many this kind of cases? Typically someone who doesn't understand the rest of the thread can ask what's it about.

Well, I do not look very often into the Scandinavian subforum, but I also came across such cases. Just looking at two randomly chosen threads with an English title in the first line, I already came across an example

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=92737

Of course people could ask what the Finnish contributions are about, but I would do that only if I feel that the topic is very important to me which is hardly ever the case. Still I think that it is not at all a good idea to switch over to Finnish in a thread which has an English title in the first line and is started in English. I do not refer to the threads with a Finnish title in the first line, an English subtitle and the first posting being in Finnish. There providing an English translation of the meaning of the title can be seen as a courtesy to the people who do not understand Finnish. In cases as above, I feel that the situation is different and is indeed somewhat annoying to people not being able to understand Finnish.

Probably there is also a psychological factor involved. It is a bit like the same when I come across Hungarian texts in the middle of English texts - like for Hungarian I do not understand a single word in Finnish texts. In many other languages I can at least guess some part of the meaning.

Maybe Finnish posters could try to stick to the following proposal: Use a Finnish title in the first line if the thread is thought to be a Finnish language thread and try to use English in the threads which have an English main title.

Moreover, it would be helpful to use the FIN Flag in the title of threads where the

title creates the impression that the thread is going to be in English, like in this example

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=90545

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne
Just looking at two randomly chosen threads with an English title in the first line, I already came across an example

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=92737

Yup. There aren't many others, as far as I know. And in this case it's about a Finnish TB race.

Still I think that it is not at all a good idea to switch over to Finnish in a thread which has an English title in the first line and is started in English.

I agree on this matter - even when I obviously am guilty of continuing the discussion in Finnish on such a thread. My point is that it is relatively rare when it happens, and it usually is about something local. Nothing to get bent out of shape about.

Use a Finnish title in the first line if the thread is thought to be a Finnish language thread and try to use English in the threads which have an English main title.

Moreover, it would be helpful to use the FIN Flag in the title of threads where the

title creates the impression that the thread is going to be in English, like in this example

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=90545

This is commonly done in this group. I know I do both every time, and I tend generally to write in English*). Sometimes people just forget to use the FIN-flag. Many times a newbie comes to forum with one single question in mind, and doesn't even know about the FIN-flag practice. It just happens every now and then. Certainly not worth getting furious, IMO. :(

*) However, not e.g. when I'm writing Finnish palindromes, geolyrics to famous Finnish songs, or when I'm pondering possible Finnish translations to geocaching vocabulary.

Yup. There aren't many others, as far as I know. And in this case it's about a Finnish TB race.

Yes, it is about a Finnish TB race, but I can well imagine that cachers from nearby Scandinavian countries might be interested. I guess that was also the reason why solarflare decided to write in English.

Sometimes people just forget to use the FIN-flag. Many times a newbie comes to forum with one single question in mind, and doesn't even know about the FIN-flag practice. It just happens every now and then. Certainly not worth getting furious, IMO. :(

I did not get furious at all. I just observed that over the last months the number of English postings in threads where I guessed from the title that the thread is an English one has decreased. When it happens several times to me that I end up with Finnish postings in such cases, the effect is typically that I do not look at the Scandinavian forum during the next weeks.

As I mentioned in an earlier discussion I do not object at all against the use of the Finnish or any other eligible language other than English in this subforum. My point was just that it also happened to me that I looked at threads which I supposed to be in English while they turned out to be in Finnish. The frequency of such events increased according to my experience.

As the FIN-flag is regarded, I do not need it if the title is in Finnish. A title like Road Angel, however, strongly suggests an English thread, doesn't it?

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

I assume that this is the only forum here at Groundspeak where we have different languge for each country..

I normally don't see any problem with the finns writing finnish, except when there is an english title or it seems to be about something that might interest me...

In some cases have I, or someone else, asked for an english translation, and haven't received it.

Tahu is Finnish, but you didn't know about it in the beginning. Do you remember that one finnish member was insulting him in Finnish here on this forum? The discussion was held in Finnish, and that discussion could be interesting for us also. Tahu said that he got an english translation, but we didn't get it :(

So somethings that YOU might think is local for Finland can be interesting for others also.

It looks like the usage of Finnish language is the only subject interesting enough to keep international discussion on at this forum.

In geocaching related threads there are mostly just Finns talking with Finns no matter what language they use.

I would love to see our fellow geocachers from other Nordic countries particitipating discussions of geocaching at ANY language.

It seems that evolution has made this forum (almost) a Finnish-only when other nationalities discuss on their own non-gc forums.

There is a need for people to discuss on their own language (as has been stated on this thread already earlier). There are people who cannot write in English, or they think that their English is not good enough to contribute to discussions. For those who feel themselves uncertain, a thread like this makes the barrier to write even higher. (Please, don't take this statement as an accusation, I think that things have been generally ok in this forum. I'm just opening my mouth now and then.)

But what to do? I feel that this current system is good, although it would be better if there was more discussion in Swedish, Norwegian, etc. but it seems that it won't happen. Or do people think that we should have a Finnish-only forum somewhere else? My opinion is that it would kill completely this forum. At least I am too lazy to follow disucssions on multiple forums.

In Norway do they have a big number of forums where you can discuss geocaching.

Also in USA can you find a lot of non-GC-forums where you can discuss geocaching, often local forums for a state or area.

Benefits with a non-GC-forum? You can discuss about geocaching without meaning geocaching.com :huh: You don't have to be registred user here for writting, it is easier to reach interested people in your own language etc...

Yes, it is about a Finnish TB race, but I can well imagine that cachers from nearby Scandinavian countries might be interested. I guess that was also the reason why solarflare decided to write in English.

Yes. Changing the language is clearly out of the line. My emphasis, however, was on the fact that this kind of 'sudden-language-change' -threads are very rare. See further.

Certainly not worth getting furious, IMO. :)

I did not get furious at all.

I referred to the first posting, not you; my quotation was a bit clumsy. Sorry.

I just observed that over the last months the number of English postings in threads where I guessed from the title that the thread is an English one has decreased.

[schnappi]

it also happened to me that I looked at threads which I supposed to be in English while they turned out to be in Finnish. The frequency of such events increased according to my experience.

I tried to find English language topics (without FIN-flag) with Finnish language contents (other than Road Angel). I found this (1) (English-needing pun in the title, but obviously looks like an English language thread), this (2) (some Finnish in the middle - quoting a letter from a Finnish company - thread stays English though), this (3) (couple of lines Finnish in the middle - thread stays English), this (4) (argument on a Finnish translation in the middle of the thread, kind of logical to comment it in Finnish. More importanly, the OP asked when (s)he didn't understand), this (5) (I wrote my posts in 2 languages, 'cause I was offering a TB ride and obviously there are more potential TB owners in Finland, who'd want me to grab their TB. The thread stayed English all the time.), another translation thread (6) (where some discussion about translation is obviously in Finnish - the thread stayed English with international participation).

I checked the all threads from this moment to the beginning of last April (2004). It's more than half of all the threads in this forum. Only one thread (1) of the above six is something that can fairly easy be guessed to be English but it's Finnish. All the rest have only small portion of Finnish in the middle - typically justifiably (translation argument (4, 6)), and the thread stays English (2-6). So forgive me, but I don't quite buy that increased amount of English-topic-Finnish-contents threads over last few months observation of yours - even if I missed some threads.

Additionally, I found several topics, where Finns talked with Finns about some strictly local thing in English with each other without 'foreign' participation. And another example of these is-it-really-worth-it-to-bother-with-English -threads: TeamEimi posted both a Finnish and English language threads on the same topic. Guess which one has replies and lively discussion? :D There are other similar cases.

As the FIN-flag is regarded, I do not need it if the title is in Finnish. A title like Road Angel, however, strongly suggests an English thread, doesn't it?

Yes. Hopefully I already earlier made myself clear that I support the flag for Finnish language threads - especially in this kind of cases. I still claim that these are quite rare cases.

Yes. Changing the language is clearly out of the line. My emphasis, however, was on the fact that this kind of 'sudden-language-change' -threads are very rare. See further.

They are rare if you only talk about those where all the postings from a certain one onwards have been in Finnish.

´

I checked the all threads from this moment to the beginning of last April (2004). It's more than half of all the threads in this forum. Only one thread (1) of the above six is something that can fairly easy be guessed to be English but it's Finnish. All the rest have only small portion of Finnish in the middle - typically justifiably (translation argument (4, 6)), and the thread stays English (2-6). So forgive me, but I don't quite buy that increased amount of English-topic-Finnish-contents threads over last few months observation of yours - even if I missed some threads.

It was just an impression I got. I did not make a search like you. Regarding the switch to Finnish somewhere in the middle, I guess there is a psychological factor involved. You know what the text is about - people who do not understand a single word of Finnish do not. I looked for example at the thread regarding the TB (now, not at the time when the thread was new) and I did not even manage to realize that the Finnish parts were just some language-specific part with no importance.

A single English sentence might help in such cases.

Additionally, I found several topics, where Finns talked with Finns about some strictly local thing in English with each other without 'foreign' participation. And another example of these is-it-really-worth-it-to-bother-with-English -threads:

I guess that many people here only read and do not write too often.

Personally, I just have a look at the Scandinavian forum from time and time (I ignore FIN threads right at the beginning). If some English language text attracts my attention, I have a short look at it, if I find something Finnish, I stop. It is not that important for me in most cases. I just like to see what happens in other European countries from time to time. I do not like the general English-language subforums because they are US-dominated.

I guess that the "problem" with Finnish for many is that is so different to most languages - as I said above, I am not even able to realize that a certain discussion is only about language aspects.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

Yes. Changing the language is clearly out of the line. My emphasis, however, was on the fact that this kind of 'sudden-language-change' -threads are very rare.

They are rare if you only talk about those where all the postings from a certain one onwards have been in Finnish.

Out of the 543 topics that exist in this forum, I checked more than half, like I described in my previous post. I peeked in those threads that had English topics without Finnish teasers or FIN-flags. Out of those I found only those six ones with Finnish text among the English, most of which still had all the information in English too. Two of them were translation related, where one could imagine there being foreign languages involved. I'd still call that rare, but guess we have different notion of 'rare'.

I did not make a search like you.

I know.

Regarding the switch to Finnish somewhere in the middle, I guess there is a psychological factor involved. You know what the text is about - people who do not understand a single word of Finnish do not. I looked for example at the thread regarding the TB (now, not at the time when the thread was new) and I did not even manage to realize that the Finnish parts were just some language-specific part with no importance.

A single English sentence might help in such cases.

I agree. Out of those six threads I found, in only one the non-Finn did actually ask what the Finnish part was about. If the Finnish speaking person - for one reason or the other - doesn't include an explanation, it usually helps to ask. But I agree, explaining the usage of foreign language in the middle of the thread should be done at the first place.

Additionally, I found several topics, where Finns talked with Finns about some strictly local thing in English with each other without 'foreign' participation. And another example of these is-it-really-worth-it-to-bother-with-English -threads:

I guess that many people here only read and do not write too often.

I guess that most people who write here, expect other people to join the discussion. If the international participation is what it usually is, the Finns seem to prefer talking (especially about the local stuff) in Finnish.

I just like to see what happens in other European countries from time to time.  I do not like the general English-language subforums because they are US-dominated.

That's a bit like me saying that I don't like the German Speaking Forum, because it's so Germany-dominated (which is not the case in any sense, of course). To each his/her own, but in my opinion it's good to participate the general forums; the more international participation there is, the less 'US-dominated' it is bound to be.

The same goes naturally in this forum. If people want see more English/whatever topics here, start them! Speak other languages! As far as I know, the Finns don't generally object to other languages in this forum. On the contrary, in many cases they have welcomed more international participation, and I've seen also threads started by Finns in Swedish. Ironically, like Shambbu pointed out, about the only thing spoken internationally here is the usage of Finnish language. :lol:

Edited by Divine

That's a bit like me saying that I don't like the German Speaking Forum, because it's so Germany-dominated (which is not the case in any sense, of course).

But from my point of view it is definitely Germany-dominated .....

To each his/her own, but in my opinion it's good to participate the general forums; the more international participation there is, the less 'US-dominated' it is bound to be.

I guess I did not manage to get my point through. Participation in those forums is one thing, but it is not a good place for informing oneself about geocaching trends and attitudes in Europe. I am missing such a place. Most countries in Europe either have separate national forums or are ignored by gc.com.

I just would like to learn more about geocaching outside of the US and outside Germany.

The same goes naturally in this forum. If people want see more English/whatever topics here, start them! Speak other languages! As far as I know, the Finns don't generally object to other languages in this forum. On the contrary, in many cases they have welcomed more international participation, and I've seen also threads started by Finns in Swedish.

It seems that you misinterpreted what I tried to say. I know that the Finnish geocachers are very open towards foreigners and their need - for example, much more open than many German geocachers. So everything what I wrote was not to be seen as any sort of complaint. I apologize if it looked even like a mild form of criticism - this was not intended at all.

I live much too far from Scandinavia to be specifically interested into special topics (maps for Finnland etc.) Hence my interest into starting topics here is typically too low. My personal impression is just that a while ago I was able to get a gist of the type of topics which are discussed here more easily. I used to like looking at the Scandinavian forum because I appreciate the different style of looking at things than the one which is predominant for example in the German-speaking forums. My focus here is reading not writing. I can well accept that the discussions by Finns take place in Finnish. It is natural from their point of view in most cases.

I hope that I finally managed to explain what I tried to say right from the beginning.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

The same goes naturally in this forum. If people want see more English/whatever topics here, start them! Speak other languages! As far as I know, the Finns don't generally object to other languages in this forum. On the contrary, in many cases they have welcomed more international participation, and I've seen also threads started by Finns in Swedish.

It seems that you misinterpreted what I tried to say. I know that the Finnish geocachers are very open towards foreigners and their need - for example, much more open than many German geocachers. So everything what I wrote was not to be seen as any sort of complaint. I apologize if it looked even like a mild form of criticism - this was not intended at all.

I live much too far from Scandinavia to be specifically interested into special topics (maps for Finnland etc.) Hence my interest into starting topics here is typically too low. My personal impression is just that a while ago I was able to get a gist of the type of topics which are discussed here more easily. I used to like looking at the Scandinavian forum because I appreciate the different style of looking at things than the one which is predominant for example in the German-speaking forums. My focus here is reading not writing. I can well accept that the discussions by Finns take place in Finnish. It is natural from their point of view in most cases.

I hope that I finally managed to explain what I tried to say right from the beginning.

I admit I might have slightly and partially interpreted you. Moreover, my quotation(s) may also be inaccurate, but by above I meant rather the things discussed in the whole topic and first mentioned in the original post - not necessarily and completely what you said. So, it is rather a general statement than reply to what you wrote.

I can relate to your interest on geocaching scene outside the home country, and the 'problem' the aforementioned lacking FIN-flag and change-of-language-within-the-thread cases might bring, and my main argument in 'defence' was that it is relatively rare.

Like most Norwegians, my Finnish is limited to the words "Hyvää!", "Moi" and "Yksi, kaksi, kolme"

Well you can always dust off those old VHS tapes containing the episodes of Borettslaget and start learning finnish right away. (Piirka is making his final appearence in our local TV today, with the last episode.) B)

LOL! :mad:

Well you can always dust off those old VHS tapes containing the episodes of Borettslaget and start learning finnish right away. (Piirka is making his final appearence in our local TV today, with the last episode.) :rolleyes:

Have you actually ever heard Piirka speak Finnish? I remember him say only one Finnish word, and it is not particularly useful in this forum.

Have you actually ever heard Piirka speak Finnish? I remember him say only one Finnish word, and it is not particularly useful in this forum.

No, but that's a minor point anyway. One shouldn't let that fact prevent from learning some more finnish attitude and thus gaining motivation for real language studying. After all language and culture do belong together. To master one, you need to know them both.

On the first page today it is 16 post maked FIN: :rolleyes:

Why do we even bother

Imo This is now a Finnish forum :ph34r:

I don't quite understand why it bothers you that some of us discuss things in Finnish in this forum. There are geocachers who are not able to express their thoughts fluently in English.

Tahu Nuva writes about the language policy in this forum:

"Preferred languages: ALL genuine languages spoken in the region i.e. Danish, Estonian, Finnish, Gipsy (language), Inuit (eskimo language), Icelandic, Lappish, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Swedish and Vepsä. Did I forgot some ? smile.gif

Add a language-prefix in front of your subject, like SWE: or NOR: or EST: or LAT: or LIT or LAP: or DAN: or FIN etc. If you use English, do NOT add prefix."

So you are free to start a topic in your native language, too, if you like - or in English - nothing stops you. And you can participate those topics that are in English. Some Finnish geogachers even translate Finnish topics to those who ask about them. I think that usually people have been very helpful here.

best wishes from Anneli

So you are free to start a topic in your native language, too,

Yes but imo we loss a lot of drive in this forum when we dont use the same language.

If and i say IF we all used the same language we would have no use for "national boards" lik the ones who has grown up in Norway.

I just want to keep one board for the Nordic countries not one "official" one and one Norwegian , one Danish and so on.

Imagine that you are a Brazilian Gecacher coming to sweden what is the first forum yo will seek ? Excatly the official forum for Nordic countires.

And what do you find there ? :rolleyes:

And look at this Sample of language problem

I think this proves my point.

No hard feelings tho.

/sign off

Edited by Mikkel
Why do we even bother

At least you've tried. :ph34r:

Nice Divine :rolleyes:

Could you stay on topic pls ?

The topic is Use Of Native Language, isn't it?. On the original post there was also a sentence: There are also discussions that starts in English, but suddenly a user starts using Finnish - and rest of the discussion gives me nothing..., wasn't there? :ph34r:

Imagine that you are a Brazilian Gecacher coming to sweden  what is the first forum yo will seek ?  Excatly  the official forum for Nordic countires.

And what do you find there ?  :ph34r:

Help? Like The Hole-in-the-wall Gang did? Or emzett? Or Stu and Sarah?

And look at this  Sample of language problem

I think this proves my point.

It is a language problem, yes, but it has nothing to do with using native language in the Nordic and Baltic countries forum. Except, of course, that the questioner got quickly an answer in the forum, which actually proves my point. :rolleyes: