A Sad Day In Charlestown State Park, In.

Turtle3863

yep, and its all in the geocaching policy which i posted before.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/publication..._Geocaching.pdf

heres what it says if you feel your permit was wrongfully denied.

"A person who is aggrieved by a determination by the property manager may seek informal review from the division director. A determination by the division director is subject to administrative review under 312 IAC 3-1."

and heres what it says to do if you feel your permit has been wrongfully revoked or cache removed.

"A person who i aggrieved by a suspension or revocation may seek administrative review under 312 IAC 3-1"

yep, and its all in the geocaching policy which i posted before.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/publication..._Geocaching.pdf

heres what it says if you feel your permit was wrongfully denied.

"A person who is aggrieved by a determination by the property manager may seek informal review from the division director. A determination by the division director is subject to administrative review under 312 IAC 3-1."

and heres what it says to do  if you feel your permit has been wrongfully revoked or cache removed.

"A person who i aggrieved by a suspension or revocation may seek administrative review under 312 IAC 3-1"

I truly hope that the appeal process works, but even if it does, I don't see the CSP PM following it. He seems to have made it an issue of "it's my park, not the public's" even when cachers fill out the permits. It's not just an issue of staying out of protected areas.

Although lcoal cachers felt he mishandled the removal of earlier caches without warning since the park had previously encouraged them, the DNR policy/permit process is fine if he'll abide by it as written. I wish I could be more optimistic about those chances. I had only cached in CSP once and loved it. I won't be going back unless things change. Too many other parks to see that do allow caches placed with permission. :)

I think we'll be talking about this in particular at the Midwest GeoBash in a month. It's interesting when compared to other areas. I'm sure this happens a lot more in smaller properties that no one cares about. It's large ones like these that make us take note.

"...maybe i can get you people thinking straight"

"how many charlestown cache owners applied for a permit then? it looks like none"

"i dont blame CSP for removing the caches, no one followed the rules"

StangGuy, I encourage your intentions in trying to reinstate caching at CSP, but please realize that when you say something like "get you people thinking straight" that it could create a combative tone, especially when you're addressing extremely experienced and responsible cachers who are either posting to this thread or reading it. They individually have found thousands of caches (Deermark, Daggy, Turtle3863, Geode Hunters, WCnut and Tater, etc.) and have hidden hundreds with permission, some of which I know you have found and appreciated. Of course, if your later apology was meant for them, then I applaud you, because this certainly isn't a "look, see I was right, you were wrong" situation.

Many locals with thousands of finds like Lumberjack Tom (and others who are just lurking or don't vist the forums) are also disappointed by the current status. As Turtle mentioned earlier in the thread, there are some cachers who might want to do their own thing, but these are the exception and a minority, and not among the local cachers who have tried to post here. These are highly respected veteran cachers who actively seek permission to place caches and are trying to follow the new DNR policy. As some have already tried to tell you, they were following the rules as communicated to them. The rules were changed without notice and their caches removed. However, after the removal, the policy you linked became very familiar to them and is posted on the the Inky-Geo organization's home page as the proper procedure to follow. Please don't assume they have not tried to follow the policy/permit process just because they haven't replied to you in the forums.

I hope CSP approves more new caches, including any you might apply for, as well as others. I'm just not optimistic that the property manager interprets the new DNR policy in the same way that cachers do. Most are well aware of CSP's new attempts to bring people to their park. Please contact InKy-Geo if you'd like to know of those who have tried to communicate with CSP. I think you'll discover that although CSP does wish to hear from the public about what they want, that this includes geocaching only in a very limited, restrictive format in comparison to other parks that have the same DNR or similar policies. Of course, I'd like to be wrong about that. :)

Teach2Learn has stated what a lot of us have been trying to say only more elequent. We did our best to work with the authorities and we were undercut by stubborness and ego. It is to our best interest to let this matter drop and go about caching elsewhere. Some of the best caching I have ever done was in this park. I will always cherish our wonderful trips to Rose Island. But that is all in the past. Let's move on. Clark State Forest and Harrison-Crawford Forestry are huge areas with great caches and many places to hide more. The Hoosier National Forest encompasses an area from Bloomington south to the Ohio River. These three areas can support all the caches you could ever possibly place. Let's move on to bigger and better caching.

Deermark

Often, however, with a bit of creative thinking it is possible to make a virtual cache into a real cache via placing a container close to the site in question and then making the hunt into an "offset" or "multi-cache."  All of the above are some reasons why, I believe, GCing.com limits virtuals.

I myself like hiking...but geocaching actually gives me the incentive I need to get out there and do it. In april, my wife and I hiked Scott's Gap in the Jefferson Memorial forest over by Louisville. I can tell you that if they take all the caches out of that area there would be no way in HELL that I would get back out there.

Same goes for Indiana parks. It may be sad but I am a person that enjoys actually enjoys finding a container. I enjoy virtuals but limit them on my cache runs.

Here's a suggestion that I heard...don't tell the DNR! :D

If they don't know the cache is there then they can't remove it!

I know, I know that isn't right but neither is what they are doing!!! :(

Even though I am mad it doesn't mean that I would actually do something like this. :blink:

Edited by bikinibottomfeeders
well, personally im done with this thread. its obvious many dont want to geocache at the park, so dont. i personally would like to see it at the park, so i alone will try and place my allowed number of caches at the park. i plan on following all of the states rules on it and well see just how anti geocaching they are to me. if you dont want to go find them just cause of their location its fine with me :blink:

Just curious how its going as its been three weeks.

Usually doesn't take me that long to place a cache. :(

actually a lot has come up in my personal life since i mentioned trying to get one placed there with a permit. i just havent had teh time to go up and scout out a good place and then apply for the permit. ill try eventually, but its not on my "things to do next week" list. more like "thinsg to do in the next few months" list :blink: