Benchmarks For Sale

nfa

Place and mount your own private benchmark, and read logs left by visitors who found it!

GPS-Fun.com, a site devoted to the fun and games we have with our GPS units, has produced a limited number of individually numbered benchmarks that can be placed/mounted in a place of your choosing. Visitors to your benchmark can log their visit (adventure) on our website.

We've given away a number of these benchmarks to "Benchmarks" in the GPS recreation world...like Geocaching.com, Dave Ulmer, UTAG, Markwell, Scout, Travellertags.com, Today's Cacher, and some others...and are offering the rest for sale to anyone with an interest in the program.

The Benchmarks sell for $9.00, and come with full directions for mounting them permanently, safely, and legally. For more details or to order a Benchmark (or 2), visit our site, http://benchmark.gps-fun.com/.

gpsbench.jpg

The benchmark program is an interest, not a business. This thread was placed with prior permission from geocaching.com.

what are these made of?

>>oh wait "they are 3.25 inches across, made of an aluminum alloy, and designed to be permanently mounted"

how much is shipping?

>>ok, seems like $4?

Edited by welch

Ok...Let me try to answer some of the questions that have come up...

is the idea of the sale of these that they be placed anytime in the near future, or could one be purchased now and not placed for an indetermined time?
You can buy one now and place it as soon as it arrives (they ship usps priority)...I haven't placed mine yet because the ground is under 2 feet of snow and frozen solid...

How many are there for sale? Really interested in a few.
There are about 30 (I'm holding a few for some people who are on the fence or waiting for payday)...I've sold a couple multiple orders...if this becomes somethign that people are really into, I might sometime order another 25-50...

Can we pick a certain number? If so, what numbers are still available?
Yes, and...020, 010, 024, 022, 013, 012, 026-050

nfa-jamie

Hi,

As per special requests, numbers 10, 13, and 42 are on their way to new owners as you read this...big news, Scout has placed his benchmark. the first one to be placed (Texans showing off about their warm weather... :) )...look for it on the site by sometime in the next day or so (I'm in meetings all day, so it may take me a bit of time)...it's #006 for the curious among you.

nfa-jamie.

Update:

I'm caught up with shipping as of 3pm today

Benchmarks numbered 49 & 50 shipped as per request

numbers still available: 23, 24, 26-41, 46, 48

Somebody also asked about numbers out of order and multiples of the same number...when (if) these benchmarks are gone, I may place another order, and could see about special #s and such

Thanks for the interest in the benchmarks to date, please get in touch if you have any questions.

Happy Caching and Benchmarking!!!

nfa-jamie

Edited by NFA

I received #22 a couple days ago, and was wondering what (if anything?) I should do before placing it. I don't think the mark will corrode away anytime soon, but since its new its very bright and shinny. I was thinking of painting the face a dark color so it blends in more.... ideas? comments?

#s 23 & 24 shipped today (to Saskatchewan...our 1st international order :lol: )

Thanks for all of the positive feedback, I can't wait for the ground to thaw so everyone can start planting and visiting these benchmarks...

nfa-jamie

Just PayPalled. I hope there are some left!

Can I drill a hole in this for mounting? Figure on bending a slight curve into it and one-way bolting it to a telephone pole or something similar.

Edited by Crusso

Crusso, I believe these benchmarks are made of cast aluminum which will probably crack if you try to bend it. There is usually a sleeve on the back which gets driven via a press fit onto a piece of reinforcing bar. This sleeve, since it projects would make it near impossible to attach to a pole. The utility companies are very touchy about having things attached to their poles and may complain. I may order a few but finding 3/4" rebar for mounting might be tough, I doubt its a Home Depot off the shelf item.

Crusso, yours went out via USPS Priority yesterday (#48).

The benchmarks do have a projection coming out of the side opposite the face with the information which sticks out about 3 inches.

I agree that you should certainly check before mounting the benchmark (or anything) to a utility pole, as is likely prohibited...please follow the directions included to make sure to mount the benchmarks safely and legally.

3/4" inch rebar will likely be found at any hardware store that sells lumber and rebar...my local aubuchon has it, and every home depot in the world will be likely to as well...if they don't have it, they can certainly get it for you in a couple of days

Thanks for the feedback and questions,

nfa-jamie

Edited by NFA
Still waiting on mine... hopefully I'll see it soon.

Sorry for the delay. it should have been there by now, but you never know...if it hasn't arrived by Wednesday, email me; I'll track the package and send another one out to you (#42 is of course, not available, but #41 is...we'll talk).

again...sorry,

nfa-jamie

Hi Duncanclan...#28 is yours...

Crusso...just because there is the mounting stuff on the underside does not mean you couldn't hacksaw it off for mounting...someone asked me if they had to mount theirs using rebar, as they wanted to mount it in cement instead...its your benchmark, mount it the way you want to

I got a bunch of orders yesterday, and will be shipping today (hopefully)

nfa-jamie

Hey NFA, the Wednesday deadline has come and past, still no benchmark #42 here. I'm going to email you my home address, can you track the package and see what might have happened to it? Hopefully it's not permanently lost, I had a neat idea for that specific number....

These benchmarks will be available to individuals, organizations, and companies at cost (plus S&H).

Are these really at cost?

According to This Page, They are $4.26 for the quantity you ordered.

Yes, but how do you know he bought all of them at one time?

These benchmarks will be available to individuals, organizations, and companies at cost (plus S&H).

Thanks,

Rubbie

Here is a copy of part of the disclosure I sent to Groundspeak when asking permission to post this thread...it explains the cost structure of the benchmark programn a bit...

The actual cost to me was $336.50 for the 50 I ordered (numbering the benchmarks adds to the costs, as does shipping, as does tax).  When you take out the 10 I've given away to "Benchmarks" of the GPS recreation field, the cost for the rest works out to $8.41 per benchmark.  They ship with papers detailing how to place and mount them, permanently, legally, and safely...figure this adds about $0.10-$0.20 cents per order shipped.  My time and efforts are donated.  I have to pay for the webspace in perpetuity.  Paypal takes out $0.68 for each order. 

I take a loss on the whole project, both in the short-term and over time but am doing it because I think it's a cool idea.

You asked a fair question, I hope I answered it to your satisfaction. I am not making money on these benchmarks, I am just looking not to lose a bunch of money.

nfa-jamie

Edited by NFA

I'd really like to order one but I am already behind on my mortgage and my next 6 paychecks are being garnished by Wal-Mart to cover the last pair of AA batteries that I 'purchased'. Perhaps I can come up with the funds to cover a purchase by November of this year.....if there are any left in your inventory.

Thanks,

Rubbie

I think that he meant: http://www.berntsen.com/products.aspx?c=36. These seem to be the more pricy item. Who knows, what with handling charges, insurance coverage and lawyer fees the price to market even seemingly 'inexpensive' mass produced items can quickly escallate. The days of operating with low over head out of the back of your Chevy stationwagon have long since passed.

Edited by Team cotati697