Cache Preferences

I am just curious of there are certain caches that you do not go for and why. right now i of sticking to places that are of interest to me, new parks, rivers, historical sites, etc.  was just wondering if you had your own preferences.

Yup, me too. I'm looking for a nice long walk in the woods or fields or beaches.

Though I'll sometimes compensate for a DNF by picking off an easy one on the way home, I avoid those by preference. And I won't go near any one that makes me feel uncomfortable (which mostly means very upscale neighborhoods and very downscale neighborhoods).

I don't usually go for micros unless they are very conveniently located. I won't drive far for one. Other than that, the only caches I will not attempt are those having several recent DNF entries, or those which I cannot do (boat, scuba, rock climbing, etc.)

Sometimes, however, I will travel to the cache location and then abandon the search because I don't like the hide. I will bail out if the cache appears to be in the middle of a poison ivy or briar patch, or if it appears to be on private property.

I don’t like micros, but I hunt them anyway.

So, I prefer that a hunt takes me to a place of interest,

State / County parks, historical places, neighborhood parks.

Not just a lamp post / mail box / or guardrail.

They are all the same, seen one-seen them all, even traditional.

My idea of deciding where to put a cache is this:

Why did I bring someone here.

What’s unique about this place.

What’s different about this hunt over other ones.

SF1

I avoid math puzzles but love word puzzles and such. I don't do locationless and have a tendency to skip many virtuals. I tend to skip the super easy urban micros (in parking lots etc.) unless I am with someone else who wants to find them or if I have saved them for snow or night caching or a crazy marathon run.

Caches I'll generally skip:

-- Traditional caches with extra logging requirements above and beyond signing the physical log

-- Puzzle caches involving math or anything else I suck at

-- Caches placed near schools prior to the recent change in the listing guidelines

-- Caches placed in the yard of a city or suburban residence (even if it's a geocacher's front yard, I'm uncomfortable being watched by neighbors)

I've done one that was "hidden" on very private property (i.e. someone's front yard) and will not do one like this again.

Although I will do them eventually, I like to avoid any that are hidden in high-muggle places where I will draw attention to myself. The last thing I want is to be stopped and questioned by the police.

I prefer those out in the country, or the woods, or somewhere where I can spend time alone looking without raising suspicions.

I also like hunting while traveling in other states.

Around my home turf I'll do them all given time. However I'll give preference to traditional and virtual caches. Multi caches and puzzle caches will always wait until I've got nothing left in the area to do.

When traveling, I only look for regular and virtual caches. I don't have time to futz with strange logging rules, solving puzzles, and chasing down all the parts of a multi cache.

There are always exceptions. If I like the puzzle I'll solve it before I leave town and do that cache first. If it's a friend I'll make a point to do any cache they are especially proud of.

Edit: The ignore list is used for caches I helped place and caches with psychotic owners. If we had a scuba cache or some other type of cache that I'll never do I'd use that at my home are as well.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I am forming a geosense that will steer me away from lampposts, Walmarts, caches near homeless camps, etc.

I will search for micros, if well hidden, either in a nice urban setting (usually downtown), or in the desert (good signals, plus few non-obvious hiding places for ammo boxes make micros fun)

I rarely search for virtuals, but will log them if they are on my closest list, or in an extra special place (Grand Canyon)

I have only one locationless (mostly to get the icon on my finds page...)

I have found enough caches now that it is begining to frustrate me that there are so many caches in (what I consider to be) horrible places.

-- Traditional caches with extra logging requirements above and beyond signing the physical log

-- Caches placed near schools prior to the recent change in the listing guidelines

-- Caches placed in the yard of a city or suburban residence (even if it's a geocacher's front yard, I'm uncomfortable being watched by neighbors)

I forgot about those. I tend to also skip those too. I think I would skip any still existing cache close to airport property as well. I don't fee like having to explain myself to security.

I don't think I've seen a cache listed that I just wouldn't consider doing, but I definately prioritize my search lists on any given day based on how much time I have available and how ambitious I feel.

Since there are so many caches out there, I guess this ultimately means that I am subconsciously skipping caches which I'll never ever get to. But since it is subconscious, I am not aware of it and therefore it doesn't count. :P

I was going to claim that I went after any cache that got in my way, but that's not exactly true.

Like Lep, I skip 'front yard' caches. I also tend not to do webcams that do not record your image for later retrieval. If logging requirements are too cumbersome, I'll likely skip the cache; although I may go back for it another time.

I ignore graveyard caches. I'll pass on the caches that look too dangerous. Still trying to decide whether to do the one that requires a boat. (Brian, you want to loan me a boat?) Might talk my sister into bringing an inflatable kayak next time she visits. Don't do anything requiring bicycles, or swimming, or walking across rivers on downed trees. I don't walk on ice either. I know of one that is far too dangerous for someone with the fear of heights that I have. I'll never log that one.

Urban micros? I rather enjoy the ones that are creatively hidden. And I've hidden a few.

I love good puzzle caches! They can be a lot of fun!

We have only been at this for about two weeks, but I can already see that we will probably seek out more caches that take us on long hikes or to interesting places we haven't been before. I won't rule out quick, local micros though. Those are good for when the urge to find hits me and I only have 30 minutes to get it done. I think I may already be addicted to this game. :)

I'll hunt almost anything hidden too, but in order of preference. I'll often drive 50-100 miles to grab a few nice hikes or to cache with friends.

My favorite caches tend to be 3 terrain or higher, and 3 difficulty or lower. I don't mind hiking 10 miles for a cache, but I want to find the sucker when I get there!

I'll often skip the quick easy ones and save them for when I need a "fix", hehe. I'm not a huge fan of puzzle caches, I cache to get out of the house, not to spend even more time sitting front of the computer. I have to be in the right mood to work on them.

I don't log locationless caches as finds, but I still enjoy spotting them when I'm out and about.

There are a few hiders who I just plain ignore based on prior caches. Nothing personal, I just know I generally don't enjoy finding their caches for various reasons so why do them if I not gonna have fun?

I have fun finding them all, except for webcam caches. Puzzles are the next lowest on my hit parade. I have no problem searching in urban areas, or even someone's front yard. I might avoid one near a school if it was hidden here, but probably I would just wait for a weekend morning to seek it. :P

My priorities change based on how much time I have on a given caching day. If it's only a few hours, I'll focus on traditionals, or two stage multis close to home. If I have all day I'll head to a cache dense area and pick up anything there except for puzzles that need to be solved before heading into the field. I spent three consecutive Sundays in January with friends, hiking the perimeter of a large lake about 90 miles away in order to complete two complex multis there. While on the trails we picked up everything else nearby too though. :)

Since it will be dark by the time I leave work tonight, and my wife is at a meeting, I'm planning to get a parking lot micro , and a guard rail one on the way home. :lol:

I generally avoid puzzle caches, because I'm to stupid to figure them out.

That sums it up for me too -- I don't mind a "gather information from here and use it to fill in the numbers for the actual location", but the cryptography ones and ones that require large amounts of thinking are just too much for me to bother with.

Tomorrow, a friend and I will look for Guillemot Cove Cache which is on Hood Canal for our 800th milestone. This cache is only about 15 miles from my home and has been active since 2-12-2002. It requires a mile hike in and out with a 300 to 400 foot elevation change. I will be 80 in April so this will be a major test for the old man. Since we are only going after one cache I should be OK. A long time ago I finally figuered out "You don't have to find them all." My wife is not a geocacher so on trips I leave her in the van type RV while I look for caches. To be honest I look for "lame" caches that will not take too long. I am not ashamed to say I enjoy Locationless caches. I really enjoyed finally tracking down a Yellow Jeep that was parked. Saw lots of them but most were going the other way on the freeway. You do what you can do when you can do it. Dick, W7WT

I'll search for anything and everything. If it is one that I absolutely can't do physically I'll go with a team and try to do my part . I like them all no matter what kind they are. Last week we walked 4 miles for an ammo box, 5 miles for a bison tube and 5 miles for a virtual, then went with a friend and found 19 (3 DNFs) two hours south. We only have a few, mainly tough milestone multis left in our area, that we are picking away at. We enjoy traveling for caches, like Fla. and Nashville and just can't wait for GW3. I got over what shyness I had while looking for some of the very urban micros. This is the most enjoyable hobby I have ever had and like any cache that someone takes the time to hide.

I prefer a cache located in a rural area at the end of a short or semi-long hike.

However, I placed a cache close to the road (in a rural area) so it would be easier to maintain. :lol: Admittedly, my own cache would not be a favorite of mine, but it is so convenient (if I'm out there on that lonely road), I would stop and get it.

The second one I'm working on has to be a multi and I'm making it into a bit of a puzzle. This is not a cache I would like, but I really wanted to show people something in a nice residential area where I simply could not place a cache. The puzzle is VERY easy . . . I wouldn't be able to figure out a difficult puzzle. :rolleyes:

The second stage is near shopping so, maybe people will like both stages of the cache.

Sissy will jump all over a local puzzle even though she claims to not like them. Her favorite though are the physical ones. It doesn't have to be long, just physical. ...oh, and difficult--like slogging through a swamp, climbing trees, scaling whatever, you name it.

Me, I like an adventure, be it high-risk James Bond-like retrievals to urban exploration.

I guess my main thing is just show me something interesting, be it something to do or to look at and ponder.

I hate to say this, but I will hunt any cache that is close to my home or work. I do not like micro caches and I will only hunt then if I do not have to go to far out of my way. However, if I need to travel more than five to ten miles I prefer to hunt caches in wild areas. If I need to climb a 50' cliff or wade across a river to an island then I will most likely love the cache.

My caching falls pretty well into three categories:

• Those times when I really want a long walk or a hike in the woods. On these days, I like to go after traditionally placed caches that require a short hike. I'll hit any other cache that are between my home and the target area.
  • Times when I just need to blow off steam. I'll generally just go to an area and look for every available cache. A perfect example of this would be taking a slightly different route home from the airport and going after any caches enroute.
  • When out of town, I generally go after urban micros. It helps show me around a strange sity and I don't have to worry much about getting filthy.

I've learned to avoid the caches of a certain user (who shall remain nameless) (poor coords, the trash construction debris areas of parks - huh?) and I've gotten to where I filter caches of the jump through hoops puzzle type A (number from sign) B (Number from letter from sign alphabet Z=1 A=26) (TEDIOUS!) C number of picnic tables/parking slots/pier posts.....etc.

Also if get to a park and realize that the hide is near the playground equipment, I'll walk away, I generally post a DNF too, something about not being in pedophile mode.

Otherwise I hunt everything - long walks, short walks urban micros. Walmart lampost hides (if they're on route - I'm not going out of my way for that sort of hide, but it I'm there, hey, it's an improvement on the parking lot from my perspective).

My favorite caches tend to those that involve a hike in a remote or tranquil area that takes me to an interesting, historical, or scenic location. But I also enjoy cache hunts that have a creative twist, or some aspect that tweaks my curiosity. I also appreciate some of the caches placed near major highways that allow me to take a break from driving on long trips.

My least favorite cache hunts are the Drive By Micros in Uninteresting Locations (DBMUL), and caches that require extended searching in a public place, esp. if it invites an encounter with law enforcement officers. ;) I have begun skipping these altogether ... it just isn't fun.

i like a decent hike, so far haven't been really thrilled with micros, with the exception of one, found at night.. major sense of accomplishment for that one!!

i just like finding new cool areas to wander around in, and prefer to be able to hunt in peace, rather than under the watchful eyes of those who have no idea why i'm walking in circles looking like some crazed dope addict who lost his crack pipe under a bush or in the brickwork....

so... i'll attempt micros at some point, but there are so many other things for me to look for, they're pretty low on my list.

give me a huge park or mountain to climb and i'm all over it...

I realize I am in the minority but I have enjoyed multis and puzzle caches the most. I enjoy the mental challenge even though I am not particularly good at them. They give me the greatest satisfaction and I find myself talking about them the most. Having said that, I go after anything and everything that is within 50 miles of home. Oh yeah, I also like any cache that is in Arizona. ;)

Hi

Same here ... otherwise pretty much whatever is around. Mind you the ones that take some brass monkey tend to get delayed awhile.

My favourites are bushwalking ones, which are not so common in my area :)

Regards

Andrew

I like any cache that brings me to a point of interest, a historical landmark, or a scenic view. Because its the learning experience or breathtaking view I will remember and tell others about. The cache container doesn't really matter to me if the location is good. I'll take a water logged rusty old tin can as a great find, if it lead me to a panoramic view of the Cascade mountains where along the way I spotted a bighorn sheep or a wild turkey for example. That would be awesome.

I'm also an engineer and I love math puzzles. If a micro is hidden under a lamp post cover, I'm happy if to get there meant solving a math puzzle.

Most of my hides lately have been ones up in the mountains to viewpoints, where you can take your family. I've enjoyed seeking out firewatch lookout towers, or locations where there used to be one. Most of them you can drive to (sometimes needing 4-wheel). Some of my fondest memories growing up, was getting up in the hills with my family to enjoy the outdoors. Hopefully, my caches will give families with young children that same experience.

Same here, there are a couple puzzle caches not evan a mile from me that I just do not understand. The only puzzle type cache I ever did was one that played a wave file if the coordinates being sent in morse code, I just happen to know enough code to figure in out.

I also stay away from school yard caches if school is in. And I only do play ground caches if Julie is with me.

I like to find caches that take me to someplace I didn't know existed. A pretty spot, maybe miles out in the woods. I like to find clever caches, "hidden in plain sight" caches, and things that are historically interesting.

I'm not in it "for the numbers," and finding 35mm film canisters under lamp posts has long ago lost its appeal. I'll drive right past the shopping-center parking lots brimming with waypoints on my way to "something different."

For me, it depends on who I'm with.

If I'm alone, I ignore anything that seems like it's dangerous to do alone, or in a place that it's bad for a woman to be alone (not that I couldn't kick someone's a** if the need arose to save my own)

My favorite are fairly short walks through the woods. By fairly short, I mean under a mile.

I guess it's a difference of location, too..

The longest cache I did alone in Ashtabula County, Ohio was a mile each way through the woods next to the Ashtabula River.

The longest cache I've done alone in Tennessee has been about 200 feet.

I am still quite new to geocaching (14 finds) but I'm already tired of zeroing out on the obvious pile of rocks in a vacant lot to discover an ammo can full of dirt, bugs and plastic junk. I've already decided that I'm going to focus on QUALITY rather than quantity.

The attributes already mentioned will figure big in my geocaching future. When I hide I'm trying to make the whole experience a good one (admittedly can be hard to impossible) meaning an interesting post page (I like puzzles - but agree that cryptograms are tedious - it needs to be an interesting and FUN puzzle). The cache location should be interesting in some way, the hide itself should be interesting as well - not neccessarily really difficult, but unique.

Ideally, I think a cache should reflect some care, consideration and planning on the part of the hider, not just the fact that he/she happened to be in the area "carpet bombing" with magnetic key holders.

I hope I'm wrong (and very well may be as there are a lot of caches I haven't found) but this seems to be lacking in my area.

I hate to say it, but I have been ignoring multis the last year and don't know why. I have gone after some challenging micros lately, but have avoided caches over a mile and puzzles. Maybe when it gets a little warmer I will feel more adventurous, but I have been a numbers whore lately and will hopefully stop when I get 400 real soon. :rolleyes:

We used to try for any and every cache that got listed near us on the GC.com site. Nowadays, its pretty much multis, puzzles, and straightforward traditionals that we go after. Ive never liked Virtuals that made us have to email the owner with answers to questions. Locationless caches arent a priority either.

I like:

- regular caches hidden in interesting/out of the way places.

- puzzle caches

Although I have done some very intersting and fun micros I really *hate* looking for them, especially when muggles are around. I *don't* like being conspicuous or being questioned by strangers. I feel better about them (micros) after I have found them. :blink:

I tend to avoid multi-caches because of the time involved. Every time I go out I am trying to find as many caches I can that day. There just isn't enough time to find all the caches I want to find. :rolleyes:

I don't have *any* nearby caches on my ignore list, yet. There is one nearby that has a lengthy and involved logging process that I am avoiding, even though it was placed by a friend.