Pocket Pc Programs

GSAK allows you to export the caches in HTML format. This essentially allows you to send the cache page to your PPC. It does not send the full page, however. Here is a sample.

The reason your sample is missing information is that you have used a LOC file to generate the HTML. Use a GPX file and this missing information (including hints) will show.

GPX files straight from Geocaching.com, or exported from GSAK, will display all the information including hints, the last 5 log entries, etc. when using GPXsonar. Here is a screen shot of the cache page, generated on-the-fly, out of GPXsonar in Pocket IE.

gpxsonarie.gif

Using the GPX file versus HTML means less work, but not less information :rolleyes: I would highly recommend GPXsonar.

Okay here is what to do:

1) make a folder on some memeory location on your PPC, I use my SD card as GPXView doesn't seem to find it on the CF card.

2) Install GPXSonar or GPXView on you PPC

3) Get .GPX file from email from GC.Com and save to folder on you PC.

4) sync PPC to PC and then copy .GPX files from PC to PPC in Exproler, or what ever your favorite file management tool is.

5) Start GPXSonar or GPXView and goe Geocaching.

That is what I do. I have tried GPXSonar and use GPXView. There are trades offs but I guess I used GPXView first so prefer it, your experaince may vary.

email me if you have any questionsl

cheers

Edited by AtoZ

I use GPXSonar on my PPC and GASK on the PC. I've also got Microsoft Streets & Trips loaded, which is useful to see how many caches are in your general area (my friends hate it when we're someplace new and I'm like "Turn right! There's a cache there!"). I use GASK to rename my waypoints, then create a new GPX file from it for the PPC and export them to my Garmin. I'm (finally) totally paperless!

I'm new to paperless caching as well, and have GSAK on PC, and GPXSonar on PPC. When I find a cache, using GPXSonar, I log the find with the Field Notes, log it as a find, type some text about the cache, etc... Question I have is do I then need to import the GPXSonar *.gpx file back into GSAK to same my notes, and what would happen when I get an updated *.gpx file from geocaching.com, will this overwrite my notes in the GSAK database? Thanks in advance.

In GPXsonar there is the menu /Tools /Export /Field Notes /To GSAK

I think you can export just the field notes so the other data in GSAK remains undisturbed. I've not tried it personally, since my field notes are pretty simple (e.g., the timestamp).

I, too, am using GSAK, GPX Sonar, and MS Streets and Trips. I love it!

I currentlty have 2 challenges.....

1. I cannot create a large map area to transfer into my PPC. I can send a fairly small map area and all the cache pushpins show well.

2. Given number 1, I have created a number of smaller map areas that I can load to my PPC. I get the same map each time I open one - for example....I have 4 maps - "East", "West", "North", "South". When I open "East" - I get the East map and it's correct information. When I open "West" - I get the same map/info that I get for East, etc. I have named them unique names so am not sure why this happens.

Thoughts?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

I, too, am using GSAK, GPX Sonar, and MS Streets and Trips. I love it!

I currentlty have 2 challenges.....

1. I cannot create a large map area to transfer into my PPC. I can send a fairly small map area and all the cache pushpins show well.

2. Given number 1, I have created a number of smaller map areas that I can load to my PPC. I get the same map each time I open one - for example....I have 4 maps - "East", "West", "North", "South". When I open "East" - I get the East map and it's correct information. When I open "West" - I get the same map/info that I get for East, etc. I have named them unique names so am not sure why this happens.

Thoughts?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

1. You might try creating the map and push pins seperately. Start with a blank map, no waypoints, and no POI's visible. I was able to create a map 85 miles tall by 88 miles wide. Also, save it directly to your hard drive and not on the PPC. Then you can create pushpins using GPXsonar (it makes better pushpins than GSAK or MSST, since it gives each type a different icon).

2. Search your device from the \My Device level (e.g., using Resco Explorer) to make sure of all maps available (*.mps) in case there are duplicates. For example X.mps might exist in \My Documents and on \Storage Card. Also, be sure you're opening a map via the *.MPS file (map) and not the *.PSP file (pushpin data).