No Dirty Talk! Lets Keep It Clean.

I was wondering what others use to clean their precious Garmin 60cs/60c screens. I've been using a little Windex, or a little soap and water. To wipe it dry I have a small "silk?" sunglasses bag. I think this is safe. I don't have a screen protector on so the actual screen gets dirty and smudged.

What do you use to clean and wipe? (YOUR SCREEN !) :rolleyes:

What material is the screen made from? If it's not glass, I would be VERY CAREFUL using Windex, or anything else that has amonia (sp?) in it.. It could have a tendency to fog up the screen slowly over time..

Soapy water would be fine. Windshield washer fluid in a squirt can (similar to a windex bottle) would be OK. I usually just do the famous eyeglass clean method myself,, "breath some condensation vapor" on the display & wipe with a soft clean cloth.

Edited by IVxIV

I use Barkeeper's Friend scouring powder. NO!! Just kidding!!!

Actually, the breathe-and-wipe that IVxIV suggested is fine, or else---in the same vein---use some eyeglass cleanser from an optician. Little spray bottles are cheap.

If you DO get a scratch (or many fine ones), I have used--very successfully--Meguiar's Plastx Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish, which you can get from auto parts stores. I had a couple fairly deep scratches (dropped---now use lanyard!) and it restored my screen to just about new. (It's great on car headlights, too)

I used Windex to clean my screen with no problems. I then trimmed a PDA screen protector for the GPS screen. Works great and easy to change when it gets scratched or dirty.

ditto on the screen protector. I cut it to size and it's been great protecting the thing from scratches.

QUOTE (GeoFamof4 @ Mar 8 2005, 12:03 PM)

I used Windex to clean my screen with no problems. I then trimmed a PDA screen protector for the GPS screen. Works great and easy to change when it gets scratched or dirty. 

ditto on the screen protector. I cut it to size and it's been great protecting the thing from scratches.

Do they stay on well? Corners come up? Clear? I've never used one, but sounds like they're worth looking into.

I sort of look at GPS units as I look at shotguns, binoculars and the like. They're basically field tools, meant to be used and not babied and the more beat up they become, then the more outdoor recreation experienced by the user. (wow! LOL) At the same time, it sure doesn't hurt to protect one's investment.

So, about those screen protectors?

I also use the screen protectors. They work great. I have had my 60c for about 2 months now and at first I read some old posts about the protectors and was not so sure. But believe me, for the $12 or so for the protectors and shipping, I highly recoomend them. I got mine from Stong Engineering. They have a Garmin GPS section. Scroll down to see the 60C/60CS. Here is a link, hope it still works if it wraps.

Stong Engineering 60c/60cs protectors

Jacques0,

The screen protectors stay on very well and I have not experienced any problems with the corners coming up. I do take my time to put them on correctly though. You do have to make sure it fits properly and apply it slowly so you don't get any air bubbles in it. I use Fellows screen protectors and they come with a little plastic "squeegee" to apply them. The screen is still very readable with the protectors on them. I also use my GPS in the field a lot and the screen protector just gives me a little more piece of mind. It won't protect from heavy duty scratches, but it will keep most of the "normal" wear and tear off the original screen. Give it a try. :P

I use my 60CS on my duck boat in saltwater bays where it gets muddy and covered with salt water and on my offshore boat where it gets crusted with salt. I wash it under the kitchen faucet using dishwashing liquid and a soft dish rag. I then rinse it and dry it with a cotton dish towel.

It comes out looking like new every time.

I use unscented babt wipes they do a great job. also work well on my lap top screen. I was given this info from from the sale rep at Office Depot. he told me its the same as buying the stuff they sell for laptop screens. Been using it for the last 2 years with no problems