Geocache By Motorcycle

:rolleyes: We are motorcycle enthusiasts and plan to do a lot of geocache searching while out on our motorcycle adventures. If it we can be outdoors then life is good. We now have another reason to be out in the enviroment. I am curious to know how many other people are combining motorcycles and satellites into their outdoor activities. EITS

OT - I hope I can do this! Trying to maximize the power of networking!

Bikers and geocachers tend to get to know one another, so maybe you might run across an trike somewhere I can buy to geocache!

I lost a leg and can't ride a bike, had to sell my Norton 650, so I need a trike.

I cache with family and friends so a 2-seater is required.

Thanks!

Ed

TheAlabamaRambler@alacache.com

I ride an Africa Twin. I installed a mount for the GPSr on the handlebar and a 12 V outlet on the side of the cockpit. The rechargeables for my GPSr tend to lift off the contacts shutting down the unit when I negotiate tight turns. The batteries should be removed anyway as they may damage the contact springs by vibration.

I also have some cases so I don´t have to haul the helmet and the jacket when I walk to the cache.

It´ s a great way to combine two fun activities.

I'm currently using my hooligan touring motorcycle (2003 Triumph Speed Triple) and a GPSmap 60 with handle bar mount. I have run into a bit of an issue where either the vibration or the pressure of the mount is causing the batteries to disconnect from their terminals and power the GPS unit down.

Either that or I purchased a lemon of a GPS :P

OT - I hope I can do this! Trying to maximize the power of networking!

Bikers and geocachers tend to get to know one another, so maybe you might run across an trike somewhere I can buy to geocache!

I lost a leg and can't ride a bike, had to sell my Norton 650, so I need a trike.

Thanks!

Ed

Take a look at this link, maybe you can find something you like.

http://bbs.gwrra.org/board/messages/16/136.html?1110314928

Otherwise, I could maybe get you a number for someone in your area who might know of a bike for sale.

Wulf

My current bike is a '96 Yamaha Royal Star (with 48,000 miles on it). Yes, I cache with it! When all I had in the way of a GPSr was my Garmin Etrex, I hung it by its lanyard around my neck while riding, so I could look at it quickly. Now, if Garmin ever gets their handlebar mount out for the Quest, I'll use my Quest.

Thanks!

Ed

Have you looked on Ebay? I see trikes for sale there frequently.

(Remember - two Eds are better than one!) <G>

Ed_S

Youngstown OH

I've got a '99 Yamaha Virago 1100, and would love to 'cache with it. But... many times I wind up parking in some pretty obscure remote spots.. not too much of a problem leaving a car in those places, but am nervous leaving a bike while I track off into the bush in quest of tupperware :rolleyes:

As for buying a bike off eBay, I don't recommend it.  Too many horror stories.

Where? I've seen an occasional bad deal about ebay, but considering the thousands of sales that take place daily, I'd say say the "horror" rate is pretty low.

I've bought and sold maybe 20 items on ebay, with a few of those items selling for more than $1000. I've never had an issue. Most often, I get more than I expect, faster than I expected it.

I have a friend who does a pretty good business at buying "needs work" vehicles off ebay and putting a little work into them and reselling them, usually locally. To the best of my knowledge, he's never gotten a bad deal. Every now and then he comes across a vehicle where "needs work" means new spark plugs or a battery.

No, those aren't motorcycles. But I have to say that ebay, if you proceed with caution, is a great place to buy almost anything.

That said, I'm in the market for an '85 or '86 Gold Wing 1200 on ebay. I'm hoping to talk my dad into a motorcycle roadtrip this summer.

Jamie

I've never had an issue.

I have.

For a bike that "has never had a wrench on it" I'm spending about twice what the bike is worth just to get it road worthy. I'm discovering many of the parts on it don't even belong to the bike and little things are missing.

I never would have spent this much on it if it weren't for the fact this is identical to a model I had as a youth and I'll eventually restore it to near original.

I would caution anyone to not buy anything sight unseen from another person and if a deal seems to good to be true, it is. Inspect the machine in person and very thoroughly--maybe even take a motorcycle mechanic friend along or take it to a shop.

That said, we've have done a good bit of business on eBay. For the most part, it's a good way to get good stuff at a reasonable price--if you're patient. The bike was the largest purchase and the only one that wasn't what it seemed.

As for buying a bike off eBay, I don't recommend it. Too many horror stories.

Wulf

I haven't personally bought a motorcycle via Ebay, but I know many people who have. I mean dozens of people. I don't know anybody who's been burned buying a bike on Ebay. You do have to exercise common sense, though. The brand new Harley Davidson Ultra Classic that has a Buy It Now price of $1500 is probably a scam, for example.

With a little effort, Ebay is as safe as the classified ads in your local paper.

We have been from SE GA to PA and back geocaching on a motorcycle. We only plan on a couple of caches a day. It is my favorite way to cache. It is also a great way to carry a map of the trip. We have a HD VRod and a RAM mount for the Garmin GPS V. We are going out West this year and hope to make it to Kansas.

OK, you will probably laugh at what I look for caches on. Many times I will trailer my Honda 80 scooter behind our Roadtrek Van type RV. Then I will use it from the campground to do the searching around the area for the caches. I use either my 76S or 76C mounted on the scooter. I also use it to find caches near my home. I did have a 250 Honda scooter but gave it to my Grandson. It had enough power to brave the highways. Works well for me and I am not man enough to handle a heavy bike. Dick, W7WT

OK, you will probably laugh at what I look for caches on. Many times I will trailer my Honda 80 scooter behind our Roadtrek Van type RV. Then I will use it from the campground to do the searching around the area for the caches. I use either my 76S or 76C mounted on the scooter. I also use it to find caches near my home. I did have a 250 Honda scooter but gave it to my Grandson. It had enough power to brave the highways. Works well for me and I am not man enough to handle a heavy bike. Dick, W7WT

:) That is great. I think the Honda Rucus would be a great geocache transportation when camping is part of the adventure.