Pocket Pc 2003 Gps Software Question

Now before I get strung up for posting such a common question :lol:, I wanted to note that my question is slightly different in that I am looking for the best solution to two uses.

As it stands, I use my Dell Axim X30 (Windows-Based PPC) for just about everything imaginable, save maybe making breakfast (bet I could find a way to make it useful there too..). I'm in real estate, and I do a tremendous amount of driving. I finally decided to go for the in-car driving aid and purchase a bluetooth GPS receiver to use with my PPC. Here's my question:

I found out about Geocaching almost minutes after I bought my GPS unit (isn't it funny how that happens?) and I was curious if you experienced PDA-GPS users might reccomend a solution that would allow me to use "step-by-step" driving aids (like you see in them' fancy automobiles) while ALSO working equally efficient as a geocaching GPS?

Thanks in advance for your input and patience--I know this is an age-old topic, but I just couldn't seem to find enough input for both of my needs from previous topics! :rolleyes:

Edited by ArmchairPilot

I use iGuidance for road navigation (turn-by-turn voice prompts). http://www.inavcorp.com/products/iguidance2.html

There is a great product comparison at http://www.gpspassion.com/en/software/NavOverview.htm and http://www.gpspassion.com/en/software/Nav_Comp_e.htm

For geocaching I use GPSTuner and Vito Navigator II. They both do the same thing, but have slightly different feature sets. I started with VN2 and later purchased GPSTuner when I noticed that VN2 forum questions went unanswered, broken links on the web site went unrepaired, and emails to the creator were ignored. GPSTuner seems to have an author that's more responsive.

Lastly buy a copy of Microsoft Street & Trips 2005. It comes free with PocketStreets, and for about $25 at Wal-Mart you get a PC and a PPC package that's quite handy. I export caches from GPXsonar to pushpins and view them in PocketStreets.

There is no real easy solution for using a PDA GPS for geocaching. The main issue is that the PDA is not robust enought for caching. The second is there is no real program that will function as GPSr's pointer screen does. I go with a cf Que in teh car and then a GPSMAP 76 to chase down the actual cache.

cheers

I also use Mapopolis for turn-by-turn directions.

They have a great add-on program (free) called GPX2Maplet, which will take your GPX file and turn it into a maplet file - which shows you where caches are directly on the map. So I just click on the cache and tell Mapopolis to get me there.

There is no real easy solution for using a PDA GPS for geocaching. The main issue is that the PDA is not robust enought for caching. The second is there is no real program that will function as GPSr's pointer screen does. I go with a cf Que in teh car and then a GPSMAP 76 to chase down the actual cache.

cheers

That's partially correct.

A PDA is robust enough for suburban areas, urban caches, and woodland areas of easy terrain. For rougher, steep, or wet conditions your PDA will be in jeopardy. You can protect your PDA from drops, bangs, and water using an Otter Case. If water is your only concern, then save money using an AquaPack or the cheaper Wal-Mart version.

If you have a GPS with an external antenna mount, you have other options as well. You can put the PDA in your backpack, in a shockproof and waterproof container, and snake the antenna to the outside world. You can also do the same for a Bluetooth GPS, although you'll need to take care with the GPS itself. I've used both approaches with my HAiCOM 303s.

An Otter Box is cheaper than buying a ruggidized PDA. They make cases that allow for SDIO and CF GPS units, or a separate case for Bluetooth styles. But, Otter Boxes are NOT cheap. The one I've admired was $100 but you might be able to find an older case on cleareance that does the trick (I saw one for about $50).

I decided that if I were spending that much, why not put it into a "real" GPS. So I bought a Magellan Meridian Gold and take BOTH with me. The PDA and HAiCOM GPS go into the safety of the backpack when needed. It's nice being able to compare coordiantes between the two units. Both have strengths that are nice. And I don't have to worry as much about my expensive iPAQ.

If you're like me, you WILL fall down eventually! :rolleyes: After all, you're looking intently at a tiny screen while walking. It's hard to avoid the inevitable.

They have a great add-on program (free) called GPX2Maplet, which will take your GPX file and turn it into a maplet file - which shows you where caches are directly on the map. So I just click on the cache and tell Mapopolis to get me there.

X2

The main issue is that the PDA is not robust enought for caching. The second is there is no real program that will function as GPSr's pointer screen does.

Well, I see Poindexter and Xangxa have jumped on this already. But to add my two cents, I use PPCs in the field all the time in all kinds of weather. I have never damaged or broken one yet. A little common sense goes a long way here. I do have an Aquapac and use it quite a bit. It keeps the dirt and water out of my PPC. I have used an Otterbox on occasion, but find this is normally overkill. I do not baby my PDAs, but I am mindful that I am carrying them.

For software, I love Memory-Map. Ozi Explorer is very similar. I looked at the Vito that Poindexter mentioned. Nice little program without a lot of frills. The thing I find is that with topo maps or DOQQs on the PPC, I don't normally need an arrow to point the way. I can see from the map where I need to go in relation to where I am. Of course, that is just me.

I always carry a GPSr along, but don't often use them.

This seems to be my best option thus far. I'll give that a shot and let you know how it works. Thanks folks, you have been a real help! :P

Mapopolis can be used for free for 9 days. And it does have a direction arrow, gives bearing in degrees and distance to the cache and curent altitude as well as current coordinates.

I use it in the field but am reluctant to say not to worry (As soon as I a say that I'll probably drop in down a cliff). Having said that I do take it into the field on easy caches. I once fell over a log and fell on it hard with my palm on the screen. I thought it was all over, but my knee came up worse for the fall than the iPaq which continued working fine. (there goes the jinx!)

My $0.02..

I would have to agree that Mapopolis is a good street navigation program. The best thing of all, if you don’t like a particular program for the PPC, you can always get another one. When I bought my MIO 168 that came with Navman software and found that the user interface was not to my liking, I did some research and found something else.

There is lots of discussion about using a PDA for geocaching and no software to support it. There is. BeeLineGPS It supports thousands of waypoints, tracks, GOTO waypoint (shows distance to and direction), has a compass, altimeter, speedometer, altitude profile and it even imports GPX files. There are also 10 waypoint icons and geocache states to support our addiction. The map allows you to orientate it so it faces North up or Track up.

There are other options like "Palm Books" (OQO) which is another discussion.

:rolleyes:

I like to mention the existance of a little program "GpsGate".

Its very usefull if you want your PPC runs more than one program at the same time that uses the GPS-receiver.

Its working on the 1 input / many output principle.(virtual com port outputs)

I use TomTom Navigator for car navigation, GPSTuner for compass navigation and OziExplorerCE for caching, track logging, route and waypoint handling...all at the same time.

For paperless caching I use GpxSonar to read the GPX-files I receive from Geocaching.com.

With an easy switcher program (Dell build in) I switch between them whenever I want.

Take a look at it here...GpsGate website

I use it on my Dell Axim X5 without any problem.

In this way caching with a PPC reaches another dimension.... :rolleyes:

Jan (Mister_X)

(Belgium)

I would take a look at Delorme.

Since you are in real estate I susspect that you plan your route before you go. With Delorme you can download two levels of maps: wider area maps without the zoom in details and street level maps. Basically you can pick and choose the maps you need for the day. Overview for interstates and detail for the stops. Next you can make a route ahead of time and adjust it for your knowledge of the area. Send the route to your PPC and then just keep the green arrow on the route.

When I started geocaching I only had the PPC and Delorme GPS with Street Atlas. I was able to find caches with out any problem. The only reason I ended up getting a handheld GPS is that I did not have the bluetooth version of the GPS or PPC.

If you are planning on caching, don't forget to subscribe to the Geocaching website and set up a pocket query for your home turf. Then, use a program like GPXSonar to bring your GPX files with you while caching. That way, you always have the cache sheets with you. At least electronically.

By the way, I had to upgrade the case on my Dell Axim X5 from the aluminum case to the TITANIUM case because I landed on it a few times while sliding down wet rocks. Protect your investment!

The main issue is that the PDA is not robust enought for caching.  The second is there is no real program that will function as GPSr's pointer screen does.

Well, I see Poindexter and Xangxa have jumped on this already. But to add my two cents, I use PPCs in the field all the time in all kinds of weather. I have never damaged or broken one yet. A little common sense goes a long way here. I do have an Aquapac and use it quite a bit. It keeps the dirt and water out of my PPC. I have used an Otterbox on occasion, but find this is normally overkill. I do not baby my PDAs, but I am mindful that I am carrying them.

For software, I love Memory-Map. Ozi Explorer is very similar. I looked at the Vito that Poindexter mentioned. Nice little program without a lot of frills. The thing I find is that with topo maps or DOQQs on the PPC, I don't normally need an arrow to point the way. I can see from the map where I need to go in relation to where I am. Of course, that is just me.

I always carry a GPSr along, but don't often use them.

I too use my PDA in the field and have not YET damaged it by doing so.

However......

From the original question, it sounds like the PDA is a very important tool to this person for his/her business. I would hate to have the PDA fall out of their pocket and down a cliff and leave them PDA-Less when they return to the office the next morning. Worse yet, they could have confidential information on it, and instead of breaking it, it could get lost in the woods and found by someone else.

For that reason, I would not mix business with pleasure. PDA's are cheap.... pick up and older Palm or Older iPaq off e-bay and use it for caching. I got my iPaq 3955 on E-Bay for around $150. It has more than enough power for the Geocaching chores I use it for. Older Palm's can be had for quite a bit less.

Anyone found a way to get round the problem with Mapopolis not zooming down far enough when you get to the final location to really better pinpoint your position. Sometimes I just wish it zoomed in a little more - I know the big circles are within normal GPS accuracy, but sometimes it just seems to make that final lock more difficult.

I've discovered the perfect solution, and I can't beat it. I've grabbed Mapopolis (which is great) and overlayed it with freeware-GPXToMaplet for driving to the caches, BeeLineGPS for use after I've parked the car and want to cache in better detail, and freeware-GPXSonar for data during the caching.

Total costs aren't that much, especially considering I'm paperless: Mapopolis $98, GPXToMaplet (free), BeeLineGPS $30, and GPXSonar (free). :(