Please Find My Cache!

I hid a cache (Pilgrim's Relief - GCJXBC) several months ago and nobody has found it yet. To my knowledge, only one person has attempted it. He didn't make it to the cache, but still seemed to have enjoyed the experience. It's the kind of cache that I personally love--it's at the climax of a tough but rewarding hike. You can get more details on a note that another cacher posted.

There's not much volume in my description because I wanted the cache to be a bit mysterious. However, perhaps it is too mysterious? I am planning to rewrite the description, but I'd like some input on what kind of things might make it more attractive.

Your advice is appreciated but please hurry--the Cheetos in the cache are getting stale... just kidding... no Cheetos.

1) Although I like this type of cache, few people are likely to go after a four star terrain rating that takes a half day to full day to reach. Some don't have time, some aren't physically fit or knowledgable enough, some are into numbers and don't want to spend a whole day on one cache, etc. Resign yourself to relatively few visits to this cache (that's OK, but this isn't a cache that's likely to be visited frequently).

2) Even fewer people are likely to go after a four star terrain rating with the skimpy information you provided. If I don't know the area, I'm not likely to invest the time and energy to visit what may not be worth the effort. The little information you provided doesn't inspire me - is there a "first to find" prize? This would be a good cache to have something really nice for the FTF, and to note it in the description!

If you want people to visit your cache, forget about being mysterious. Add the information James on the Elk River put in his note to the cache description. Post a few photos that show how spectacular the journey will be. Add a nice FTF prize. In other words, give people a reason to go find this one!

Its a Tennesee thing, its not a lamp post micro so nobody there will bother with it. Just joking, just joking.

It looks like a great cache. An all day hike isn't gonna get a real lot of takers, but I am surprised that its gone over 8 months without a find. It doesn't look THAT hard. Heck, if something like Owls Head has 8 finds, there is no reason this one should be sitting this long.

Just sit tight and I'm sure you'll get a find or two eventually.

I enjoy the occasional all day hike for a cache butI would not go for this one till the owner changes the description. to rely on what another finder says is not my cup of tea ,and may not be what the hider intended. If you like what that cacher said you should change the cache page.

i think i'd take some tips from James and make the cache a little less mysterious.

i don't know how that cache stacks up against the norm for your area, but around here (wa. state) it would have been gone after, probably based just on your brief description. parking coordinates are always good. FTF bait definitely gets some interest. trail info, scenic descriptions, etc.. always a good thing.

you may want to retry the description, and see what you get for a response.

couldn't hurt!

2) Even fewer people are likely to go after a four star terrain rating with the skimpy information you provided. 

I agree with your entire post, but I am pretty vague on most of MY 4 & 5 star terrain hides because IMO the research is part of the adventure. The ONLY one where I give detailed directions is because there is a real hazard of drowning, or getting swept away, or trespassing on private land.

Being the first to successfully navigate a hard cache is a great sense of accomplishment through research and effort. If you get there by dumb luck then you hafta be pretty dumb.

Sometimes valuable information is posted by previous finders that can save you some hardship as well.

Anyone, who refuses to read hints and directions in previous logs in that type of terrain is looking to have that type of experience through researching a rout, or they are just stupid to be out there unprepared.

FWIW- I like to have fewer visits on my caches. It means less work for me and usually attracts a more experienced geocacher. I will over value some of my best locations, just to make sure some idiot don’t get himself kilt trying for what may essentially be a 4WD park-n-grab.

If you're gonna give less info on the cache page. Make sure it's worth the trip.

86cc91f8-c9ba-46c0-bd01-bfe20cd354bf.jpg

Edited by Snoogans

Mathew1344,

I've visited your cache page several times since I'm "local" to your cache. I've thought several times that it'd be a great cache to go for. Although I'm in Chattanooga, it's not too far away. I've studied the topo and road maps and thought about how I would tackle it. So it's definitely on my list.

But you're probably asking "why haven't you tried yet?"

Because of the terrain difficulty and the time that would be required, I'm waiting for really nice weather. An all-day trip requires a whole family outing. They do not like rain, snow, and bitter winds like we're having today :rolleyes: So we're waiting for a warm, sunny, dry, Saturday with no prior commitments for ANY family members -- a difficult combination to find. The number of weekends when that the proper alignment occurs are out-numbered by the number of caches requiring a special combination. Luckily, cache placment of those types are not outpacing the hunts, so we'll eventually get to it.

I could go just myself, but I never cache solo in rural locations. Especially if there's a chance I would be outside of cell phone coverage. The last rual cache I hunted did not even have roaming available, and I fretted the whole time. I wasn't alone, but just had the kids. But I'd felt a lot more secure with an adult along. So I tend to only do urban and suburban caching when solo.

The other factor is Chattanooga itself. It's a very cache-rich location. There are hundreds of closer and easier caches, so that may explain some of the other cacher's reasonings. Plus factor in the surrounding wilderness areas in each compass direction, and the competition is even greater. So factor in weather, distance, difficulty, and competition.

They WILL come eventually, so don't give up hope. You might also want to post your note in the GEOSET, GETgc, and MTGC forums

If you make a cache like this then you have to accept that very few if anyone will try it. This is more of a hey I want to go for a hike and there is a cache near this trail. Then Lets go get this cache that happens to be a 5 mile hike. I have done some caches here in Colorado where I was the second or third person to do it because of the skills required. But if you design a cache that is a 5/5 then don't expect many people to do it.

cheers

I could go just myself, but I never cache solo in rural locations. Especially if there's a chance I would be outside of cell phone coverage.

Sounds like its time for a group hunt!

As long as the group contains no geocachers -- I don't want any FTF competiton and I ain't sharing the bragging rights! :rolleyes:

1) Although I like this type of cache, few people are likely to go after a four star terrain rating that takes a half day to full day to reach. Some don't have time, some aren't physically fit or knowledgable enough, some are into numbers and don't want to spend a whole day on one cache, etc.  Resign yourself to relatively few visits to this cache (that's OK, but this isn't a cache that's likely to be visited frequently). 

2) Even fewer people are likely to go after a four star terrain rating with the skimpy information you provided.  If I don't know the area, I'm not likely to invest the time and energy to visit what may not be worth the effort.  The little information you provided doesn't inspire me - is there a "first to find" prize?  This would be a good cache to have something really nice for the FTF, and to note it in the description!

If you want people to visit your cache, forget about being mysterious.  Add the information James on the Elk River put in his note to the cache description.  Post a few photos that show how spectacular the journey will be.  Add a nice FTF prize.  In other words, give people a reason to go find this one!

My how things have changed.

It use to be all about doing the mapwork, researching the best approaches, and absorbing yourself in the unknown adventure of the cache hunt. Now we "need a reason" other than the fact that its there? :P

So what are the "reasons" for putting caches in parking lots and rest area guardrails?

Have patience Matt. Someone who views caching similar to the way you do will find your cache soon enough...and reading their logs will be worth the wait.

Salvelinus

Now we "need a reason" other than the fact that its there

The "reason" would be 15 other caches within 2 miles. Unless people can crank up their numbers they ain't interested. Its not the terrain and difficulty here, its that nobody is willing to invest all that time and effort and only add one to their counter.

I bet that if owner says the FTF can log 25 "bonus finds" there will be a race to get there there tomorrow.

Remote + Difficult = Very Few Finds (R+D=VFF)

Actually its Remote - Other Nearby Caches = Very Few FInds (R - ONC=VFF)

Edited by briansnat
The "reason" would be 15 other caches within 2 miles. Unless people can crank up their numbers they ain't interested. Its not the terrain and difficulty here, its that nobody is willing to invest all that time and effort and only add one to their counter.

I would. I don't mind spending a whole day to find one cache or maybe two. However, this cache would take a few days. Considering I have about a 10 hour drive to reach it.

But if you design a cache that is a 5/5 then don't expect many people to do it.

Its a 2/4 ;)

Okay I know it is not a 5/5 but I was making a hyperbalization. Mosty if I want to go for a hike I'll go for a hike if I can find a cache then that is a benifit but if I want to go for a cache then a hike isnt a benefit.

I would say that your just hae to expect low numbers on this one. As from what I can tell it will be an all day afair to find it.

cheers

I have this one on my watch list. Actually "attempted" this one a while back -- found the private road that led much closer to the cache site even! Problem is that this is a LONG hike and I wasn't fit enough at the time nor did I really budget enough time to do the cache. I am definately going to try this one when there is more daylight available. Don't give up hope yet!!

Thanks to all of you for the valuable advice.

By the way, I'm not surprised that this cache doesn't get 10 visits per day, I'm surprised that it hasn't had *any*. I assumed (evidently incorrectly) that there were more hiker-cachers out there than there are.

Part of my purpose in placing this one so remotely was to *avoid* having 3-visits-per day. I tried to make it a rewarding cache for cachers who value quality over quantity, plus the journey itself will be a reward in itself.

Happy caching!

Thanks to all of you for the valuable advice.

By the way, I'm not surprised that this cache doesn't get 10 visits per day, I'm surprised that it hasn't had *any*. I assumed (evidently incorrectly) that there were more hiker-cachers out there than there are.

Part of my purpose in placing this one so remotely was to *avoid* having 3-visits-per day. I tried to make it a rewarding cache for cachers who value quality over quantity, plus the journey itself will be a reward in itself.

Happy caching!

You should take a look at the trhead I am running in this very 'Geocaching Topics' section.. entitled Type and Quality of Caches.. OccidentalErrant :huh:

Heck, if something like Owls Head has 8 finds, there is no reason this one should be sitting this long.

Just sit tight and I'm sure you'll get a find or two eventually.

Snat makes a good point. If you hid it up here in New England, we'd be all over it.

While I wouldn't stoop to a Nashville caching trip, your cache does have a certain draw...

-WR

Edited by WaldenRun