What Software For Pda ?????

Hope someone can help out.

I have an iPaq 2210 PDA. I have just bought a Navman 4420 BlueTooth GPS, but it doesn't work properly so am going to swap it for a Globalsat BC307 Media-Card type GPS.

Anyway. I have TomTom Navigator installed, but that is no good for Geocaching, as it doesn't take the complete co-ordinates to search for, and just points you back to the nearest road anyway.

So, for a complete beginner to Geocaching, what software should I be getting to use in the UK ???

I don't know whether I should use one with a map (is that cheating ?), or just one that provides an accurate position and will accept complete co-ordinates. I could work with just a compass to guide me and a current position, or is there something that will tell me "You have a lake between you and the cache......", or something similar.

Please let me know what you use with your PDA's (if anyone actually uses a PDA for 'caching.

Thanks

Craig

You should be able to get suggestions by doing a search of this forum since this topic gets asked over and over and over again.

Some quick suggestions: right now, GpxSonar is probably the most recommended app these days for viewing the cache pages (.gpx files). Another one is GpxView.

For mapping software, I believe Mapopolis has UK maps and it's really great map software. There's a free utility for it called GpxToMaplet that converts a GPX file to a mapopolis 'maplet' file that lets you see all the caches in the gpx file on the Mapopolis maps.

You can try Mapopolis for free for 9 days. After you set the cache on the Navigate page, you stop the navigation so the program stops trying to take you back to the road. The GPS page will continue give you current distance and bearing to cache.

Maybe you have something similar with Tom Tom????

I use the following software with my iPAQ 4155:

* GPXsonar (also creates LOC for other programs, and pushpins for Pocket Streets)

* GPS Tuner by Megalith

* MS Pocket Streets (free with MS Streets & Trips 2005)

* iNAV iGuidance (came with the GPS)

* Vito Navigator II

With my iPAQ h4155, I use ExpertGPS, GPXSonar, and Streets & Trips. With this combination and Pocket Queries I can:

On the PC:

1) Sort caches by name, bearing, and distance from any point, search on any text in the cache description, link to the cache page on GC.com, and upload coordinates to my GPS in ExpertGPS.

2) View the location of caches on a topo map or aerial photo, w/ waypoint, name, difficulty, and type, and click through to the cache page on GC.com in one click in ExpertGPS.

3) View the location of caches on a street map w/ waypoint, description, difficulty, and type, and click through to the cache page on GC.com in one click in Streets & Trips.

On my iPAQ:

1) Carry multiple (limited only by memory) pocket queries with me at any time.

2) Sort caches by name, bearing, and distance from any point, search on any text in the cache description, view a subset of the cache page (including last 5 logs and hint, log field notes, and create Pocket Streets & Trips pushpin files in GPXSonar.

3) View the location of caches on a street map w/ waypoint, name, difficulty, and type on a Pocket Streets & Trips map.

The only thing missing is the ability to upload coordinates from my iPAQ to the PPC as can be done with Cachemate -- then I could go on roadtrips without a laptop. I'm hoping for that functionality in the next release.

I have a Meridian Gold with Direct Route software. I use my Sony Clie TJ27 as a reference. I run a query of the Caches I want and the files download to the PDA when I hotsync. It opens up in Mobipocket as another book.

It works really well

Spamhead

Edited by spamhead