"since Reset" ... I'm Curious

I'm getting the Vista C as an upgrade for my trusty Vista. I am going to sell my Vista to help defray the cost, and I want to be truthful with potential buyers about how much use I've gotten out of it.

This may be old news to most of you, but on certain Garmin models (like the Vista), if you press the click stick down while you power the unit on, you are brought to a diagnostic screen that tells you (among other things) how many hours of use you've gotten since the last time the unit was reset. In my case, since I've never reset my Vista - an awkward combination of button presses - the timer represents the total amount of service time since it was brand new.

While 198 hours is a fair amount of use (over 8 days of continuous use), I don't believe my Vista is "over the hill" yet. I wanted to get a sense for what you guys have on your "GPSr odometers". If you do check and post your hours here (along with a word about any maladies your GPSr might have), I thank you in advance for taking the time.

fishingfools wrote: Been 3 years, 1300 + caches, only problem is the rubber that surrounds the unit has split.

Over 1300 caches with the same GPSr ... impressive! So, if we say 30 minutes of use per cache (a reasonable average, considering that you might have used the GPSr in the car to navigate to some caches before actually getting out to look for them), you've probably got 600+ hours on "Old Yeller". Thanks for the feedback.

cameltrekor wrote: I have a Legend that was replaced during Oct '04. It currently has 81 hrs logged since then and has been flawless.

Here's to many more hours! Although your edit is a bit ominous ...

Edited by kevmikwa

Cool . . . :( I didn't know that about my Garmin. I bought mine last December off eBay and the seller forgot to send the manual. By the time it arrived, I had sort of figured out how to use it . . . so I never did look at the manual. :o

Anyway, mine says:

Since Reset -- 17:45:46

Time -- 101.28.16

Cool ... I didn't know that about my Garmin. I bought mine last December off eBay and the seller forgot to send the manual. By the time it arrived, I had sort of figured out how to use it ... so I never did look at the manual.

I'm not sure that the diagnostic bit is in the manual, I found out about it via the Forums - someone linked to this page.

Oh, and regarding the manual - you've already learned to live without, but just in case, you can find a PDF of it here.

Anyway, mine says:

Time -- 101.28.16

I sure hope you've got those two flipped. The time should be the 17:45:46 one ... it is the current Greenwich time according to the GPSr. The other one (101.28.16) sounds more like the number of hours you've got logged. Thank you for your feedback.

my "old Yeller" etrex dosen't have that option. Been 3 years, 1300 + caches, only problem is the rubber that surrounds the unit has split. Held together with zip tie now. I have seen several other with problems relating to this area.

Call Garmin. They've been known to repair this even if its out of warranty.

Anyway, mine says:

Time -- 101.28.16

I sure hope you've got those two flipped. The time should be the 17:45:46 one ... it is the current Greenwich time according to the GPSr. The other one (101.28.16) sounds more like the number of hours you've got logged. Thank you for your feedback.

Doh! :o

You are right. That is par for the course for me lately. I just found out I messed up my latitude for the Locationless Cache. That wouldn't have been such a problem if I hadn't involved someone else in my mistake. :(

Since Reset 5960:20:10

Wow.

Is that for real? "Wow" INDEED, if so. I guess you get quite a bit of non-caching use out of your GPS.

All of this with a single eTrex Vista, eh? And it's still working - no issues? My eTrex Vista is pretty much embryonic by comparison - you've logged 30 times the number of hours that I have.

By the way - it's not easy landing a station wagon at the airport ...

Since Reset 5960:20:10

Wow.

Is that for real? "Wow" INDEED, if so. I guess you get quite a bit of non-caching use out of your GPS.

All of this with a single eTrex Vista, eh? And it's still working - no issues? My eTrex Vista is pretty much embryonic by comparison - you've logged 30 times the number of hours that I have.

By the way - it's not easy landing a station wagon at the airport ...

Yup, it's for real. Lots and lots of non-caching use and so far it's still going okay with no problems.

I used to leave it on 24/7 in the car, plugged into the power cable, and attached to the windshield. It's good to have a map showing you where you're at all the time, especially at night.

The suction cup stopped working very well and it hasn't been on windshield for almost a year, or that number would be even higher.