Geocaching Web Site Incredibly Slow?

ghostwriter13

All times of day, ever since the site upgrade its been running slow, server busy, and timing out. I just upgraded to a premium membership too. :ph34r:

I'm sure Geocaching.com is aware and working on a solution. :ninja:

It would be nice to see a post on their "announcements" section stating that they know that they have a problem and are working on it :P

Time will tell.............. :D

Happy Caching

DnDCaching

All times of day, ever since the site upgrade its been running slow, server busy, and timing out. I just upgraded to a premium membership too. :ph34r:

I'm sure Geocaching.com is aware and working on a solution. :ninja:

It would be nice to see a post on their "announcements" section stating that they know that they have a problem and are working on it :D

Time will tell.............. :D

Happy Caching

DnDCaching

I've had no problems accessing the main website at all (though my find count recently is -nil-). I can access my account and such with no delays. Today, in fact, was the first time I have come across a slowdown. Glad the forums are on a separate server. :P

I've had no problems accessing the main website at all (though my find count recently is -nil-).  I can access my account and such with no delays.  Today, in fact, was the first time I have come across a slowdown.  Glad the forums are on a separate server. :D

True, never have had a problem with forum site.... :ninja:

Only since the geocaching site upgrade has there been problems :ph34r:

DnDCaching

<snip>

Only since the geocaching site upgrade has there been problems  :ph34r:

DnDCaching

I would beg to differ. I haven't seen these symptoms in quite some time. I saw them often prior to the upgrade. And they occured Sunday and Monday evenings.

Edit: Clarification - I am refering to the hardware upgrade in October, not the facelift of the last couple weeks.

Edited by Moose Mob

I've had no problems accessing the main website at all (though my find count recently is -nil-).  I can access my account and such with no delays.  Today, in fact, was the first time I have come across a slowdown.  Glad the forums are on a separate server. :D

True, never have had a problem with forum site.... :ninja:

Only since the geocaching site upgrade has there been problems :ph34r:

DnDCaching

It does seem to coincide with the new look and feel of the site. It's probably coincidence though.

What's really messing things up is the power trail thread. The angst is spilling into the other servers and gumming up the works. :P

This is going to get real ugly fast as the winter starts to wind down and all the cachers that curtail their activities in the colder/snowy months start to gear up in spring.

More power and optimizing code/SQL needs to get done BEFORE the system comes to it's knees.

It's a "feature" :o

But on topic, I wonder if the slowdown has anything to do with the increased caching activity as the weather gets warmer, and new cachers register to play with their Christmaas presents.

Does anyone know it the new site look and feel is more of a strain on the servers or less?

Edited by TheWilkens
so what gives, this is a for profit site, right,  and people pay each month for upkeep?  this money should be used for ..........

Yup, and I guess if EVERY user paid they might have enough cash flow to keep up. I assume your check is in the mail?

Looking at the amount of logs from the past 7 days, it looks like the site has grown 30% in the last 3-4 months.

Edited by Mopar
so what gives, this is a for profit site, right,  and people pay each month for upkeep?  this money should be used for ..........

Yup, and I guess if EVERY user paid they might have enough cash flow to keep up. I assume your check is in the mail?

Speaking of which, logging of caches on Sundays should be a Premium Member feature. If you don't pay to play, wait until Monday to log :o

Don't know how many servers are involved on the web/app/db layers and what the weekly slowdowns are due to, but if a portion could be carved out exclusively for Premium members, I think it should be considered.

Of course, if a vast majority of the logging which is causing the slowdown is done by Premium members, well that wouldn't help now would it?

So unless the folks here clue us in on the number of caches logged in a day by Premium and Non-Premium users, we're in the dark to make any relevant suggestions. To assume the slowness is caused by non-Premium members, unless someone has this info, is just a wild guess on their part.

I'll point out again it could be a usability issue. Consider the number of clicks the average user needs to do in order to log a cache. Consider how many DB hits that is and the number of tables of each hit, etc.

The process could be streamlined greatly. Apparently, though, we must cater to the lowest common denominator so no one gets confused. As a result we all suffer.

BTW, the throughput should have nearly doubled whenthe new server went in, but as Mopar pointed out the activity only grew ~30%. Not much of a return on investment.

[conspiracy theory]

Could someone be throttling the throughput to twist more arms to pay up?

[/conspiracy theory]

I think the folks that probably voice their displeasure the loudest are paying premium members so I doubt your conspiracy theory is the cause.

I use GSAK and it's how I log caches now which I can do in 1 click to go directly to the Log a Cache page for a specific cache. It's certainly less system resource intensive then bringing up the full cache page first.

Without knowing the cause of the bottleneck, it's nearly impossible to determine what potential fixes would resolve it. For example, if it's the database unable to handle so many simultaneous new logs being generated, it doesn't matter how efficient it is to get to a log page.

Someone needs to find the top 2 or 3 performance issues and address them. Maybe it's web server related and like the major news/weather sites, when a crisis occurs, they go to a low volume less graphically pleasing but less graphically intensive set of pages until the load is reduced.

I'm sure there's many outstanding web developers and database administrators which could review and lend and hand or provide guidance in where to optimize, etc. Seems the folks that run the site haven't yet been interested in taking advantage of these (free) resources. Of course, if it's just the sheer power of the servers can't keep up with the load, additional HW/bandwidth could be the primary reason and that's something a developer can't fix once code is optimized.

I use GSAK and it's how I log caches now which I can do in 1 click to go directly to the Log a Cache page for a specific cache. It's certainly less system resource intensive then bringing up the full cache page first.

I'd like to see the maker of GSAK get together with Groundspeak and come up with a way to enter all of the logs in GSAK. Then you click submit, and it sends all of the logs in one batch. I think if you could get a lot of the GSAK users to do this, you would cut down on the amount of traffic significantly. Also, it'd be nice for cache runs. You could enter in your logs between caches, instead of waiting until you got home.

Oh, I also like the Premium Member priority idea.

--RuffRidr

I'd like to see the maker of GSAK get together with Groundspeak and come up with a way to enter all of the logs in GSAK. Then you click submit, and it sends all of the logs in one batch. I think if you could get a lot of the GSAK users to do this, you would cut down on the amount of traffic significantly. Also, it'd be nice for cache runs. You could enter in your logs between caches, instead of waiting until you got home.

Oh, I also like the Premium Member priority idea.

--RuffRidr

Hopefully we will get there one day with the proposed "sand box".

However, right now GSAK does allow you to enter you logs offline and then "semi" automatically update them at Groundspeak. For more information please see the help file or online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs38020.htm